• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Updated video in OP link with full HD, 1080p stream. Looks pretty damn beautiful.

tumblr_malom8YiRf1r0pci8o1_500.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
I've never actually read The Hobbit. I know its shocking. But can anyone tell me what the story will be for the first film in the trilogy? They mention taking back the dwarves home.

Basic premisse is that 13 dwarves want to return to their ancient homeland that was ravaged by the dragon. Gandalf provides them with "sneaky thief" [Bilbo] that they require for the journey. By the end of the first film, Bilbo will in a way manage to become very sneaky [hint hint ;)].

jett

D-Member
Gollum looked weird.

And a Hobbit movie without Smaug. I lol'd. I dunno, I liked the first trailer more. I really dig the look of the dwarves here though.

I've never actually read The Hobbit. I know its shocking. But can anyone tell me what the story will be for the first film in the trilogy? They mention taking back the dwarves home.

I haven't kept up with how they're dividing the films, but the very basic premise is that the dwarves are attempting to reclaim their treasure in their ancient home of Erebor (the Lonely Mountain) after the dragon Smaug attacked it and took it over years ago.

Looks great! That most likely was just generic trailer music and nothing from Howard Shore, right? That music was the only thing kind of "meh" about that trailer.

That looks spectacular.

PJ and Tolkien continue to be made for one another.

Gollum looked weird.

And a Hobbit movie without Smaug. I lol'd. I dunno, I liked the first trailer more. I really dig the look of the dwarves here though.

Are you just referring to the fact that Smaug won't show up till the other movies?

bengraven

Nice, Im getting a FOTR vibe with this one, that's a really great thing.

:D

Totally and Fellowship was my favorite.

But back to the stone giants, we got a half-serious mention of them in the Hobbit (I think it was more of a tongue in cheek fairy tale thing like the trolls being Cockney, than a serious attempt by Tolkien at adding them to his canon), but it looks like we'll have more interactions with them in the film. In the book the giants are just throwing stones at each other, looks like our heroes will have to dodge them now.

I effing loved this.

Waiting for Reddit to replace these with lightsabers.

Loxley

Looks great! That most likely was just generic trailer music and nothing from Howard Shore, right? That music was the only thing kind of "meh" about that trailer.

Correct, that wasn't Howard Shore music, there was a story about it a few days ago that the trailer would be using genericly epic 'trailer music'. Fear not :)

I really like the tone of humor too. I was worried it was going to be too serious or too campy but from this trailer it felt just right.

I have a feeling it's going to be a very entertaining movie. :)

Come on December, fuuuuuuuuuck.

Loxley

I really like the tone of humor too. I was worried it was going to be too serious or too campy but from this trailer it felt just right.

I think Jackson definitely saw the fan concerns over the last trailer, that the tone was too serious. To me, this trailer shows exactly what The Hobbit is, an epic, fun, and many times goofy/weird adventure.

Kud Dukan

Yeah, it felt like a perfect middle ground between the tone of the Hobbit, and the tone of Peter Jackson's original trilogy. If they can keep a good balance there, I think it will be fantastic.

Dmax3901

I'd say the change in tone from the first trailer is very deliberate.

For any who feel this trailer is too comic or light just watch the first one again.

Dat song.

The only thing I didn't like was the off the shelf trailer music. Wish they tried to work some of Howard Shore's new score into it.

Raptor

Totally and Fellowship was my favorite.

But back to the stone giants, we got a half-serious mention of them in the Hobbit (I think it was more of a tongue in cheek fairy tale thing like the trolls being Cockney, than a serious attempt by Tolkien at adding them to his canon), but it looks like we'll have more interactions with them in the film. In the book the giants are just throwing stones at each other, looks like our heroes will have to dodge them now.

Oh thanks for that, I was about to ask what was going on about them in this movie.

The way Galadriel said "Mithrandir..." gave me goosebumps.

Loxley

The way Armitage says "What of it?" to Elrond...a voice like that will put hairs on your chest. Looks like the perfect Thorin.

Altazor

it's glorious!

Shame that can't watch in 1080p (damn netbook) but still... looks wonderful even in lower resolutions!

bengraven

Oh thanks for that, I was about to ask what was going on about them in this movie.

The way Galadriel said "Mithrandir..." gave me goosebumps.

Yeah, I said that earlier, too.

I'm not a Blanchett guy, but that shot and dialogue made me one. When she said "Mithrandir" I fell backwards off my desk chair and melted into the carpet. My wife had to put me in the freezer for ten minutes to try and watch the trailer again.

There is no reason this needs to be three movies.

Considering this is the last time in a LONG time we'll get a Middle-Earth film, yes there can be. I don't care if the first movie is just the unexpected party and the clean up afterwards.

A movie a chapter, because the next time I see a Tolkien film, I'll have my great grandchildren on my lap.

That said, I wish we could have gotten a few shots from the other movies. It really did look like we were getting a movie made up of only 5 or 6 scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom