• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "I want to recommend this show but Netflix cancelled it." Thread

-Minsc-

Watching K-Dramas with my wife lowered my guard since they are typically finish the story in a season.

Looking for something different I turned my eye to the rest of Netflix's international selection. The trailer for "Hot Skull" seemed interesting so I put it on my list.

Hot Skull is a Turkish series set eight years after the beginning of a pandemic where a disease is spread by speech. The infected speak in nonsense and you get infected listening to it. Even listening to a recording of an an infected person will infect.

The MC seems to have a resistance to the disease. Whenever he listens to "jabber", he gets intense headaches and his brain raises in temperature to dangerous levels. He also experiences hallucinations. What he can not do is jabber.

The world is now under strict government control and the internet has been taken down. Quarantine districts are the norm. People wear noise cancelling headphones. Windows and doors are padded with foam to prevent unwanted sound from entering homes. A grim future. At least it's different than flesh eating zombies. Probably more heartbreaking because the bodies of your loved ones are still alive.

While I would not have called the show groundbreaking, it was an enjoyable piece of entertainment. It has a different feel than a show produced by the US and is not designed to blatantly meet diversity quotas. By the time I reached the eighth and final episode I realized the story was not going to finish. The show does end on a cliffhanger but does end with enough grace to finish an act. A second season definitely would have had a different feel. The progression from dystopian to save the world. What attracted many to the first may have been lost. Explaining how and why kills the mystery.

I still recommend it. Just go in knowing Hot Skull could have used another half to full season to wrap it up.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not Netflix, but my go-to recommendation for people who like sci-fi is the show Dark Matter.

Excellent premise, decent budget (for being a Sci-Fi Original Series), good acting, great character arcs and development. Unfortunately...

Season three ends on a big cliffhanger and

the show got cancelled

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
A whole slew of shows with teenage protagonists got killed when the pandemic broke out, either because the actors would age out/didn't want to commit, or Netflix just decided to use the pandemic as a good excuse.
'I Am Not OK With This' - basically Carrie the series. Ended in a way that isn't completely frustrating.
'Teenage Bounty Hunters' - was way better than it had any right to be, the leads have great chemistry and it has some very funny moments. Bowser is also a great foil to the 'teenagers'
'The Society' - wasn't great but there was some potential that will never be realized.

Glow.

angry kyle broflovski GIF by South Park

bitbydeath

Just two for me.

The Society
Had a great Lord of the Flies vibe going for it, sadly it got killed by Covid.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f54566c547a6c2d6b6e474a6363413d3d2d3735353833363833302e313561666137386135333432343435623736383530393130333136312e676966

Santa Clarita Diet
I don’t know why this one was killed, it appeared to have fantastic ratings (continually in the top 10) and it ended on a cliffhanger.

fae9b742545501b3e2f644dc5dbc3765bde12650.gifv

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I try to avoid cancelled shows with no resolution...

If you want a solid show with a resolution, Lost In Space. Great show... No "woke" anything anyone might object to (other than the kids all being smarty pants) and Dr. Smith being gender swapped (but still a treacherous slimeball).

Yerd

The OA. Season 2 is a trip. And it got canceled.

I did watch the show when it was new, but jesus the interpretive dance was painful to watch. "Cringe" is the word of this year and it was literal during those scenes.

Whoever was the dancer responsible(I'm assuming its the blonde star) for that BS designed a show around their stupid dance moves or was a serious manipulator in convincing people to put it in the show. "People need to see my dance! It's going to change the world!"

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Not Netflix, but my go-to recommendation for people who like sci-fi is the show Dark Matter.

Excellent premise, decent budget (for being a Sci-Fi Original Series), good acting, great character arcs and development. Unfortunately...

Season three ends on a big cliffhanger and

the show got cancelled

Dark Matter is fantastic, was hoping Netflix would of picked it up and continued it.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I did watch the show when it was new, but jesus the interpretive dance was painful to watch. "Cringe" is the word of this year and it was literal during those scenes.

Whoever was the dancer responsible(I'm assuming its the blonde star) for that BS designed a show around their stupid dance moves or was a serious manipulator in convincing people to put it in the show. "People need to see my dance! It's going to change the world!"
I agree the dance was weird. But it served a purpose. And a weird one.

If you want a solid show with a resolution, Lost In Space. Great show... No "woke" anything anyone might object to (other than the kids all being smarty pants) and Dr. Smith being gender swapped (but still a treacherous slimeball).
They did race-swap one character for diversity’s sake as well and changed the father from a professor to a soldier but yes, overall not very woke. The problem is that it doesn’t seem that they knew where to go after the first 2 seasons and we sort of dropped it during the 3rd season.

Last edited:
I was just happy, the b-grade, Salvation actually had some sort of closure and ending, thanks to Matt Wheeler and his vision and fan care if S3 wasn't picked up. It would be nice if other writers/producers did as much each season ending so you had that closure to the series if cancelled.

1646578a198b3f07cccdfc0b883e45c3.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I was just happy, the b-grade, Salvation actually had some sort of closure and ending, thanks to Matt Wheeler and his vision and fan care if S3 wasn't picked up. It would be nice if other writers/producers did as much each season ending so you had that closure to the series if cancelled.

1646578a198b3f07cccdfc0b883e45c3.gif
Netflix should have done more of the Sense8 style closure episodes for series that they cancelled on a cliff hanger.

Parker Posey was great as Dr. Smith. And if you don't agree, well...

tenor.gif

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They did race-swap one character for diversity’s sake as well and changed the father from a professor to a soldier but yes, overall not very woke. The problem is that it doesn’t seem that they knew where to go after the first 2 seasons and we sort of dropped it during the 3rd season.

The end of season 3 was PERFECT, IMO

Not renewing Jupiter’s Legacy got me feeling raw.

The world needs more whimsy, disappointed The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance was cancelled.

The OA was so strange and I couldn’t stop watching. Would have liked to see more, maybe 2 seasons was enough tho.

DrFigs

Not Netflix, but there was this really great comedy called Wrecked on TBS. One of the funniest shows i've ever seen and it was kind of bizarrely an outdated parody of lost. I was so disappointed it got cancelled and it kind of ended on a cliffhanger.

Not Netflix, but there was this really great comedy called Wrecked on TBS. One of the funniest shows i've ever seen and it was kind of bizarrely an outdated parody of lost. I was so disappointed it got cancelled and it kind of ended on a cliffhanger.

People of Earth was pretty good, and I think that was also TBS. They canceled that as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Archive 81 is a great suspense show with heavy Lovecraftian vibes that was canceled after one season.

k_trout

whats truly confusing me is "3 body problem", I thought Netflix was making it but its free on TenCent YouTube and its fantastic

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You could see where they WANTED it to go in the rushes last couple of eps of s4(?) when they powered through the whole alien robot plotline. I was ok with Judy as a product of a previous relationship because it opened up some AWESOME dynamics between her and the other kids and with John but still kept all of the characters salient qualities. THATS HOW YOU DO DIVERSITY!

I always felt a very uncomfortable tension between Penny and Don West, but wasn't sure if they were planning on a romance between them when she "came of age" or if the Penny actress is just one of those girls with a constant low burn smolder/flirtatiousness about her that kinda slipped over into the character.

It was not a bad show but I got a little bored of it.

Also, this is one time where gender swapping actually seems to work. I like female Dr Smith. Parker Posey does a great job that's a real slime ball but charismatic woman.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was not a bad show but I got a little bored of it.

Also, this is one time where gender swapping actually seems to work. I like female Dr Smith. Parker Posey does a great job that's a real slime ball but charismatic woman.
See, I feel like the cowardly nature of Doc Smith only really works when it's a man. The OG series plays up on him failing to perform like a male. Female Doc Smith I think loses that aspect of subverted expectations. But they did a good job of having her do ONE THING OF VALUE that justified keeping her around for another week, I feel like had that character been a man and acting the same way John would have quietly disposed of him in "an unfortunate reactor accident" :p

See, I feel like the cowardly nature of Doc Smith only really works when it's a man. The OG series plays up on him failing to perform like a male. Female Doc Smith I think loses that aspect of subverted expectations. But they did a good job of having her do ONE THING OF VALUE that justified keeping her around for another week, I feel like had that character been a man and acting the same way John would have quietly disposed of him in "an unfortunate reactor accident" :p
I see what you're saying but she was a real slimeball and in a good and charismatic kind of way. She was also a bit of a coward. The original Dr Smith comes off as a bit.... uh.... gay. Like I seriously wouldn't doubt the actor is homosexual. Not that it's a bad thing but it's just how he comes across in the sixties series.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The OA is the cancelled Netflix show I have to recommend. God it sucks that those dorks cancelled their best series. I can't trust them with a single show anymore.

Yerd

Wayne. I don't know if it was cancelled, but they never announced a season 2. It's a great show. It was a youtube show like Cobra Kai, but this one was picked up by Amazon.

Top Bottom