• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The influx of moderates telling us to tolerate sexism, xenophobia, and racism all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically fuck us, we have to bend over backwards for them? We understand why we lost, we're angry because it's extremely unfair that someone campaigns using hateful rhetoric and still wins the election, we would not get away with such tactics, we know it can be unhelpful but the disappointment runs deep.

In reaching out to the rural vote, are liberals expected to cede rights for gay people? Show a more openness to gutting Roe V. Wade, and doing away with the VRA? It's hubris, and no progressive worth his salt is ever going to relent on these polarizing issues. I'm not gay, but I don't see the wisdom that evangelicals apparently do in denying lgbt people their rights. What are you to expect from an actual lgbt person who has a more personal dog in this race, and under the bullshit pretense of religious liberty? My heart goes out to these people, especially the kids who end up getting bullied in school over this type of shit.

We're supposed to empathize with these rural types with no regard for those who wind up getting adversely affected by the right's shenanigans. I personally don't understand how allowing 2 consenting adults of the same sex is undermining the well being of rural folks?

The fact is that not everyone is an evangelical christian. And more shockingly, some don't even have a faith at all. Why is that even an issue with them when it doesn't even affect them to begin with? I don't mean to disparage, but it's hard to respect the point of view from a subset who takes their moral word from an outdated book of fables -- a book of fables that they seem to pick and choose which injunctions to honor, I might add.

Right. So, not the real racists, just the people who will vote for the racist anytime the other side is too nice to the brown and black people.
FUCKING NO. Jesus Christ on a cracker some of you guys have such terrible tunnel vision.
We didn't lose because we were too nice to the colored folk. Its cause them non colored folk have legitimate issues that were forgotten in the wake of Hillary flavored progression. Meanwhile Trump spoke almost directly to them. He's talking about bringing jobs back home. He's talking about stopping China from stealing all our labor. He's talking about getting rid of politicians that did these people absolutely no favors.
These aren't votes that were made SPECIFICALLY because these people hate minorities. They were made because a part of America that they love, most of these people likely were born and raised in, was being left behind.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You are.

White rural Americans have been advocating for white nationalism literally since America was founded.

The electoral college that just prevented Hillary from winning the election was created by Thomas Jefferson partially to protect white Southerners who were afraid that Northerners would try to eliminate slavery.

When the time came for us to actually eliminate slavery they forced a civil war and spent the lives of millions of Americans rather than allow black people to own their own bodies.

Then they murdered Abraham Lincoln so that a white rural American could become president and allow them to institute extralegal violence and limitations to ensure that black people would effectively remain enslaved.

When the Civil Rights Act was passed, guaranteeing people of color the right to be part of America equally, they literally went so berserk that they took over one of the two political parties and claimed that the other party was governing illegitimately every time it won an election.

Fifty years later they've finally hit their breaking point and they're ready to seize their country back and drive out, by force if necessary, as many people of color as necessary to ensure that America always remains a majority white country.

People imagining that white rural Americans are suddenly acting racist today, just this year, just because of economic issues that just sprang up, are living in a fantasy world that ignores literally the entirety of American history, which revolves in its fullness around America's original sin, white supremacy.

But then, they're probably white.

damn

Beefy

The bottom line is that we still lost to the racist. Say what you will, point all the fingers you want, but Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United States. And the Dems had all the cards in their hands and still couldn't pull off the win. So what does that say about our party?

Not American but this is the exact same as Brexit. I am a black, bi guy, I am not going to waste my time on trying to educate people that see me as sub human.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You are.

White rural Americans have been advocating for white nationalism literally since America was founded.

The electoral college that just prevented Hillary from winning the election was created by Thomas Jefferson partially to protect white Southerners who were afraid that Northerners would try to eliminate slavery.

When the time came for us to actually eliminate slavery they forced a civil war and spent the lives of millions of Americans rather than allow black people to own their own bodies.

Then they murdered Abraham Lincoln so that a white rural American could become president and allow them to institute extralegal violence and limitations to ensure that black people would effectively remain enslaved.

When the Civil Rights Act was passed, guaranteeing people of color the right to be part of America equally, they literally went so berserk that they took over one of the two political parties and claimed that the other party was governing illegitimately every time it won an election.

Fifty years later they've finally hit their breaking point and they're ready to seize their country back and drive out, by force if necessary, as many people of color as necessary to ensure that America always remains a majority white country.

People imagining that white rural Americans are suddenly acting racist today, just this year, just because of economic issues that just sprang up, are living in a fantasy world that ignores literally the entirety of American history, which revolves in its fullness around America's original sin, white supremacy.

But then, they're probably white.

Hmm.

So, in your opinion, and I am honestly asking here, ignoring them is the way to go forward, then?

jdstorm

Banned
I am an African American and since the election ended have been struggling mightily with the results of the election.

I have lived half of my life in the North (NJ) and the other half in the South and was always well aware that racism existed and was very prevalent but last nights results seemed to have rattled me a bit.

The most troubling thing since the election ended is the fact that purposefully or not, 60 million people agree or tolerate Trump's racist views. Basically this means my neighbors, coworkers, friends, etc may be smiling and pretending to get along with me to my face but harbor extremely ill feelings about me behind my back.

Im sure this may be an overreaction and definitely isnt healthy but I cannot seem to shake my mind off this. I literally feel like my trust in everyone is gone and that I have to keep my guard up at all times.

Im not entirely sure where this fits into the context of this thread but I feel like my life as I once knew it is done.

This sucks. Especially since its justified. You were badly let down by your compatriots yesterday. Things will probably get worse before they get better. But dont sweat it. Remember 60M or so people also voted to support you and even more still didnt vote. There are a lot of people out there who care and can relate to your feelings. They can be trusted.

Not American but this is the exact same as Brexit. I am a black, bi guy, I am not going to waste my time on trying to educate people that see me as sub human.
The real travesty are the Dems who are fine with who you are and your lifestyle, but couldn't be bothered to get off their asses to vote against a man who hates everything you're about. They couldn't be bothered to support their fellow men and women. That pisses me off the most.

As a result, we've had 14 years of Erdogan with no end in sight. He's crushed civil liberties, hate crimes against religious minorities and women are the norm because he empowers the people to do so. He controls all branches of government, and elections are rigged. The liberals had two legitimate shots at beating him, but each time they entrenched themselves further into their ivory tower and called his base names. I see a very similar trend here in America now, and I'm very concerned. The right will not play nice, and they are morally wrong. Being morally right doesn't win elections though. No matter how much those people hate you for who you are, you can't win elections without them, so you need to make compromises. Yes, they're racist, but you have to sit at the table with them, because they're half of the electorate. I really don't know what's the best way to get them to play along, because Turkey clearly failed. But I know that it's going to get harder and harder to educate people and reconcile, because the politicians in power are going to do everything to keep it. They will gerrymander, cut education, polarize people with hateful rhetoric.

In this case, the burden is on the left to rise above this, take a hit to our ego, and find a way to come together despite ourselves. Going further left and pushing those people further away can't work. But as I said, I really don't know what can. I really fear the exact same situation repeating itself though. The rhetoric from Trump and his more vocal followers is scary though.

This is largely true.

Also, I don't think every person who voted for Trump is a racist. Yes, they're enabling a blatant racist, and they're being racist by proxy, but some people just don't care about social issues and are only concerned with their immediate economic situation. We need to distinguish between these people and flat out actual racists with our approach, because we don't want to label them racists and push them to band with the full on nazis. We need to bring them to our side and educate them. It sucks that the burden is on us, but it has to be.

For some, the fact that people won't simply acknowledge this is what is so frustrating to many. Realize, it is rather difficult to point to a situation, say "This is racism" and have people actually acknowledge and agree to that. There have been many actions that you can call racist and minorities have asked "Please listen to us" only to be shut down.

The is a great degree of talk about rural white America and that folks have not been listening to them. I agree. But you cannot forget this as well.

What you have is a group of people five generations from slavery. Many of the parents of posters here were around for school desegregation. Brown v. Board of Education was 1954. Jim Crow laws ended in 1965.

When those problems are brought before those in power they are ignored, just the same. And they are told, "You are suffering, but you have to suck it up and reach out to those that would denigrate you, whether through word or deed." And they ask you, "Why can't they reach out to us?"

And to be honest, there's really no good answer.

Apathy

FUCKING NO. Jesus Christ on a cracker some of you guys have such terrible tunnel vision.
We didn't lose because we were too nice to the colored folk. Its cause them non colored folk have legitimate issues that were forgotten in the wake of Hillary flavored progression. Meanwhile Trump spoke almost directly to them. He's talking about bringing jobs back home. He's talking about stopping China from stealing all our labor. He's talking about getting rid of politicians that did these people absolutely no favors.
These aren't votes that were made SPECIFICALLY because these people hate minorities. They were made because a part of America that they love, most of these people likely were born and raised in, was being left behind.

But then we go back to our argument that we should just lie to rural america to get their vote? Cause that's what you are saying, perhaps not directly, but if Trump "talked to them directly" and "stopping china from taking labour jobs", why not go full lie and the dems next cycle can say "you'll be millionaires if you vote for us"

Everything he said to them was nothing more than a lie, a lie that sounds good to them because they don't know better.

Ok well hows that working out for you?

I've posted this before. We're all contributing members of society. We have jobs, we pay taxes, we engage in the economy, we may even have families. If this is not reason enough to bring us up to level, there's definitely a bias at work.

But then we go back to our argument that we should just lie to rural america to get their vote? Cause that's what you are saying, perhaps not directly, but if Trump "talked to them directly" and "stopping china from taking labour jobs", why not go full lie and the dems next cycle can say "you'll be millionaires if you vote for us"

Everything he said to them was nothing more than a lie, a lie that sounds good to them because they don't know better.
Obviously lying is not the way to go about this. But we do need to find a way to give them a piece of the pie as well. I'm no polisci major, nor do I know much about economics, so I can't give you any answer at all regarding this. But they very obviously are a group that need to be included, otherwise they will go to someone that DOES include them.

Rayis

Lol it's ridiculous that i say we need to speak to these people instead of yell at them and Everytime the response is like "OH SO WE NEED TO CATER AND CODDLE THE RACISTS THEN HUH". Obviously fucking not. Racists can die and burn. Its not the racists that need to be convinced, it's the blue collar worker in middle America that maybe doesn't have as much exposure to "Progressive America" to understand why we're fighting the fight that we are.

I understand we need to reach out to those people, it certainly did lose us the election, but my point is the balance of power is lopsided, we're suffering from the exact same economic policies they are, but we don't have the luxury of scapegoating them for it like they do to us,they don't have to be full-on racist for them to hold discriminatory views due to ignorance.

They have to compromise just as much as we are if we are to reach understanding, so yes, they do have to listen to us and understand us, communication is a two-way street.

First, Hillary did have policies for them, they just didn't consist of magically taking things back to 1963 because she actually understands the issues. I mean, maybe Hillary the Liar should've actually lied.

But hey, they don't hate minorities, but if some black have to get shot by the police and some browns who are citizens have to be thrown in jail because they have the same name as an illegal immigrant or if some gays have to get fired because of religious liberty, it's all OK, right? Omelets and all that. All OK if the life of some high school dropout in rural Michigan is better, right?

Yes, they're fighting for their own. Fine. They can do that. I'll start fighting for my own. And stop giving a damn about them. Maybe when some of those union workers who voted for Trump is Wisconsin wonder why their pensions are gone because their savior loosened financial regulations, maybe they'll learn.

Ryzaki009

? I thought what lost us this election is that Hillary was down six million votes from Obama while Trump was only down 2. People staying home cost us the election not failing to coddle racists.

Continue the tantrum then, my friend. I'm sure it'll work out by 2020.

dems can tantrum all they want.

they lost this election because the establishment shoved an extremely unlikable candidate down their base's throats - when a sure-shot winner alternative presented himself in a revolutionary manner.

they lost A LOT of support with the bullshit primary process.

this is on the DNC, this is on DWS, this is on HRC.

this isn't on objectively moral democratic voters who couldn't swallow their ethics and vote for the worst candidate presented by the DNC in our ~millenial lifetime.

the left is allowed to hate bigots all they want, we've had enough examples of what road that kind of thinking / behavior leads us down thanks to historical documentation for a LONG time now.

if, after every evil moment in stumbling human history, you STILL believe men are supposed to be hulk hogan, women are supposed to be the avon lady, and minorities are nothing but comic relief in cinema who clean our toilets and keep our lawns mowed [ie - not human like you] - you're a piece of shit, plain and simple.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
This entire argument the left and right are having and now within the left are having about RACISM and SEXISM is EXACTLY what the republicans want. They don't really give a shit about those issues. They want us distracted. They wanted the unwavered support of racists and sexists so they could win this election. They wanted the left to criticize the right based on their perceived racism and sexism.

All while the real issues and the economic policies that will line their pockets, widen the income gap, and allow the corporations to continue their iron clad hold and control of the PEOPLEs' country continues.

You guys are all lost in the plot. And the corporations, bankers, lobbyists, all those that do the MOST harm to your every day American is now off the hook.

They win again, and they've been winning for the last 30 years.

Apathy

? I thought what lost us this election is that Hillary was down six million votes from Obama while Trump was only down 2. People staying home cost us the election not failing to coddle racists.

combination of some factors. this thread obviously covers the rural american factor

they lost this election because the establishment shoved an extremely unlikable candidate down their base's throats - when a sure-shot winner alternative presented himself in a revolutionary manner.

this isn't on objectively moral democratic voters who couldn't swallow their ethics and vote for the worst candidate presented by the DNC in our ~millenial lifetime.

the left is allowed to hate bigots all they want, we've had enough examples of what road that kind of thinking / behavior leads us down thanks to historical documentation for a LONG time now.

if, after every evil moment in stumbling human history, you STILL believe men are supposed to be hulk hogan, women are supposed to be the avon lady, and minorities are nothing but comic relief in cinema who clean our toilets and keep our lawns mowed [ie - not human like you] - you're a piece of shit, plain and simple.

You're making excuses for the left not voting for Hillary, but why are you leaving right wing voters who made Trump happen off the hook?

Ryzaki009

combination of some factors. this thread obviously covers the rural american factor

I'm just saying it's not a necessity. The calls to coddle these people because we can't win without them is just untrue. We can it's just people can't stay at home.

jdstorm

Banned

That conversation has been going on for centuries, and they're still not listening. We took a step forward in recent years, and last night took a giant leap back.

You're really going to put this on minorities not being patient enough? Not trying hard enough? Not finding ways to break down the barrier without bothering the poor white people they might put on edge by simply existing?

Fuck that, man. Fuck that.

WWJTKD aka What would James Tiberious Kirk do.

If the game is broken change the game. If option A and B are equally shit. Come up with option C.

pigeon

Banned
Hmm.

So, in your opinion, and I am honestly asking here, ignoring them is the way to go forward, then?

My position at this time is that I am not sure that there is a way for people of color to live safely in America as it is currently constituted.

There are simply too many white people willing to vote for white nationalism. Whether they do it because they wholeheartedly support it, or because the lives and safety of people of color are simply not as important to them as other issues, does not really matter from my perspective. The consequences are the same.

If I sounded like I had a good answer, sorry. I don't believe there is one.

Although, I very much enjoy this alternative universe where Bernie Sanders is apparently assured of winning.

I have to go to bed, but I'm going to keep faith. Even though I feel nothing happy or positive at the moment. I wish some form of apathy and numbness would overtake me, and I expected it at this point, but I can't stop feeling disappointed and pissed all at the same time.

kswiston

Pretty much. If Hillary kept the same number of democrat votes that Obama had in 2012, she would have beat Trump in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, and Ohio. Florida would have still been a lost cause, but those 4 states would have been more than enough to flip the result.

Beefy

Ok well hows that working out for you?

Racism, bigotry has been going on for far many years then I have been alive and will 99% carry on until the human race dies out. There isn't much the generally public can do.

The biggest problem is the society that we as people live in, the poor are shitted on, the average person is forgotten and the rich and powerful get richer and have even more power, this happens in every country and has done for many years. Then the poor or people that feel they have been forgotten see immigrants and people not like them coming to their country and maybe becoming better off then them. Then comes election time and people like Trump and Farage know how to get at people, the people most effected are then fed with lies and more lies until they bigots and racists. It's a very easy and dumb way of winning a election or vote.

The people turned into racist bigots then vote for people like Farage/ Trump. Farage/ Trump then show the slightest bit of attention and they are happy. Moving onto the next election were they vote for the person that now suits their new found happiness. The shit goes in circles and circles and always will do. Until the public realise they are getting played nothing will change.

Nothing will change unless society does and the rich don't want that so it never will. But people that allow themselves to be taken in by these bigots can not be deemed innocent themselves. Then you have the people that just don't like change at all. As I said society as a whole is the problem and it isn't changing in the next 100yrs.

sonicmj1

For some, the fact that people won't simply acknowledge this is what is so frustrating to many. Realize, it is rather difficult to point to a situation, say "This is racism" and have people actually acknowledge and agree to that. There have been many actions that you can call racist and minorities have asked "Please listen to us" only to be shut down.

The is a great degree of talk about rural white America and that folks have not been listening to them. I agree. But you cannot forget this as well.

What you have is a group of people five generations from slavery. Many of the parents of posters here were around for school desegregation. Brown v. Board of Education was 1954. Jim Crow laws ended in 1965.

When those problems are brought before those in power they are ignored, just the same. And they are told, "You are suffering, but you have to suck it up and reach out to those that would denigrate you, whether through word or deed." And they ask you, "Why can't they reach out to us?"

And to be honest, there's really no good answer.

It's absolutely unfair. No question. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be necessary. And I can't blame anyone's anger at that unfairness. But I'm not sure what the alternative is.

I'm reminded, again, of Letter from a Birmingham Jail:

Martin Luther King Jr. said:
My friends, I must say to you that we have not made a single gain in civil rights without determined legal and nonviolent pressure. Lamentably, it is an historical fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily. Individuals may see the moral light and voluntarily give up their unjust posture; but, as Reinhold Niebuhr has reminded us, groups tend to be more immoral than individuals.

The key is to find ways to keep exerting that pressure until we have equality. In this election, I tried to do something to help the Democratic campaigns, and I'm glad I participated. But I'm going to need to do more in the days and years ahead to push back against the systematic injustice that still exists and thrives.

What is this part right here about? How can you not see that you're spouting a similar kind of hatred that you're supposed to be fighting against?

I support a repeal of Taft Hartley, massive infrastructure investments, free public college, a big jump in the minimum wage, some form of universal health care with a public option, long term assistance for those effected by trade.

I'm just not willing to fuck over black, brown, poor, and pregnant women also.

rural america is such a shit show. drugs, single parents, call centers, fast food chains. no opportunity. exclusively minimum wage jobs. bad schools, no health care, constant car problems. everyone is overworked, overstressed. everyone is taken advantage of.

"it's their fault their lives are like that". even looking at it from the outside, at best they could've taken on massive college debt, left their friends and deserted their family to go 6 hours away to a city and their lives would possibly, maybe be "better" - alone and isolated. lol. keep on and have no empathy

OMSc0Si.jpg

GOP-GAF, am I doing it right?

Nepenthe

So, I just got told by an LGBT person that I need to be more respectful of other people because I'm pissed off at the GOP and the racist well-off whites who helped vote in Trump (not even Rust Belt people, but the people who bought the populist garbage).

White LGBT people, I need y'all to grab up the members that are feeling froggy about this election. I voted twice for the President that expanded your liberties, and against the party that is about taking them away. Don't fuck this alliance up for yourselves.

Only Diamond Joe Biden would have been assured of winning.

Joe Biden is everything the left accuses Clinton of being. I like Biden, but he's the ultimate DC insider, and I'm not sure if a candidate to the right of Clinton would've made much of a difference here.

Of course he wouldn't have had to fight against the kind of sexist garbage she had to put up with.

ExVicis

So basically fuck us, we have to bend over backwards for them?
No but expecting racists to bend over backwards for us for no reason is delusional.

I'm really saddened that so many people learned nothing this election and decided to double down on ignorance. Instead of reflecting and understanding what happened everyone else seems to be content declare themselves right and everyone else wrong. Maybe that's true but guess what, yesterday other you need at least some of those "wrong" people to get anything changed. Yelling and shaming them didn't get them to your side before, it certainly isn't now.

the210

One of the valuable lessons of this year is that white people will say and do absolutely anything to protect other white people from being blamed for their white nationalism.

It's all out in the open now. Trump didn't run in the standard code word, dog whistle kind of way. He embraced his bigotry and large portion of white America embraced him for it.
The message I take away from this is the quality of our lives as black people is still largely dependent on the whims of white people. So much so that we are expected to hold our tongues and ensure we don't make them uncomfortable at all cost. We grin and bear it out of necessity but when we vent even for a second here come our so called allies expecting us to empathize with the other side. To be fair to them they might not have any idea what it's like to live among people who tolerate you during the good times and out right hate you the rest of the time.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Joe Biden is everything the left accuses Clinton of being. I like Biden, but he's the ultimate DC insider, and I'm not sure if a candidate to the right of Clinton would've made much of a difference here.

Of course he wouldn't have had to fight against the kind of sexist garbage she had to put up with.

im not convinced Biden could have blunted what came either. 3rd term of obama, establishment, anti-trade, anti-globalization. that's the winning message of this election.

3rd terms of the same parties also happen very seldomly, its an automatic disadvantage.

Opto

Banned
Rust Belt people should take their share of the blame too. Dems certainly forgot them this round, but the fuckers panicked at social change, propped up opposition GOPs. Looked at Obama then at Congress, and decided, yeah, the president's causing me this grief. If they want their way of life to remain, they gotta realize they too have to change.

ExVicis

So, I just got told by an LGBT person that I need to be more respectful of other people because I'm pissed off at the GOP and the racist well-off whites who helped vote in Trump (not even Rust Belt people, but the people who bought the populist garbage).

White LGBT people, I need y'all to grab up the members that are feeling froggy about this election. I voted twice for the President that expanded your liberties, and against the party that is about taking them away. Don't fuck this alliance up for yourselves.
I'm having a hard time wondering if this post is a joke. If it's not this is really disgusting, talking down to the LGBT community like this.

WWJTKD aka What would James Tiberious Kirk do.

If the game is broken change the game. If option A and B are equally shit. Come up with option C.

james tiberious kirk would reprogram the game to make the no win scenario winnable. sadly we dont have that option, the only option is to stay villa-gent and tell the dems to get there shit together and create an all inclusive progressive platform that includes stuff for all parts of the electorate and try and retake the senate in 2018, to mend some of the damage a trump presidency possibly can produce.

Nepenthe

I'm having a hard time wondering if this post is a joke. If it's not this is really disgusting, talking down to the LGBT community like this.

Nope. Just had a person say that I'm being unreasonable about my anger, that I had no reason to feel anxious, because they are a transgender woman but served in the army and thus knew how to be strong and respectful of others.

That was fucking bullshit, and I also think it's indicative of an existing empathy problem between the LGBT and black community that deserves some discussion.

Rust Belt people should take their share of the blame too. Dems certainly forgot them this round, but the fuckers panicked at social change, propped up opposition GOPs. Looked at Obama then at Congress, and decided, yeah, the president's causing me this grief. If they want their way of life to remain, they gotta realize they too have to change.
There's totally a whole Thanksgiving sized serving of blame to be shared around. And they certainly deserve some of it for reasons you just outlined. Maybe next time around we can get a candidate that is able to convince them that liberals aren't the ones that is trying to ruin them. But Hillary certainly didn't do that.

No but expecting racists to bend over backwards for us for no reason is delusional.

I'm really saddened that so many people learned nothing this election and decided to double down on ignorance. Instead of reflecting and understanding what happened everyone else seems to be content declare themselves right and everyone else wrong. Maybe that's true but guess what, yesterday other you need at least some of those "wrong" people to get anything changed. Yelling and shaming them didn't get them to your side before, it certainly isn't now.

From what I've seen, the only thing that will change their minds is to change the laws of economics and make sure no brown or black person does anything they don't like.

pigeon

Banned

Sums it up.

How unreasonable of people of color to want to live in peace in America! What an intolerable burden we place on white people by expecting them to not indulge their fundamental desire to murder us!

Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom