• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Intercept: The Crimes of SEAL Team 6 -- war crimes committed by US Navy SEALs

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

Unfortunately, hearing about crimes committed by our military -- that are covered up, no less -- is entirely unsurprising. Like, routine. Expected. Par for the course.

I wonder if this kind of subculture exists in other elite units around the world?

I'm pretty sure it does. The fetishism of the elite is not specific to any one culture, military, or even time period. As long as there have been even loose military organizations there have been groups of people who were better at it than others and were set aside for that purpose. The Sacred Band, The Immortals, Alexander's Companions, etc. It goes back to ancient times.

jfkgoblue

While this is wrong, it is very tame in comparison to other wars throughout human history. It used to be SOP to burn, rape and pillage sacked cities for armies.

Raven117

Gold Member
my problem with the belief system of "we need bad men to do bad things to other bad men" is that now, the culture is such that bad is normal. from the article:

you have a former SEAL leader saying that this should have and could have been corrected, but now the thinking has infected the unit.

Certainly, no argument from me. My comment was more of a commentary on how warfare has changed. House to house CQC....close....

The other part of my comment was simply that these are exceedingly complex questions of where the line is drawn both from a training perspective but from a practical perspective as well.

In the end...without fancy words created to hide the harsh reality (And I will be the farm that all special units have this mentality to some extent the world over)...We created surgical killers, and they performed the tasks we asked.

While this is wrong, it is very tame in comparison to other wars throughout human history. It used to be SOP to burn, rape and pillage sacked cities for armies.

This is kind of my thought as well. I'm by no means condoning the acts but we aren't that far removed from a time when these guys would be carrying the scalps on their belts and putting the skulls on pikes and that would be considered normal. The notion that war can ever be made into some clean, professional endeavor is a pipe dream at best and blatant propaganda at once; conflict draws out the worst in people no matter who they are or where they are from. It's how they are able to do what they do.

This post turned my brain to mush. You honestly can't see a difference between these two?

of course I can see the differences... That's not what I'm drawing attention too...

Can you not see the similarities..?

If an Iraqi civilian's family member is butchered inhumanely by US troops before their eyes...

Then the disgust, anger and hatred pushes them to join up with Al Qaeda, then they inflict the same level of brutality against US soldiers or worse, civilian aid workers or captives...

How can you be morally outraged by one and not the other...?

If war crimes are to be considered OK purely on the basis that they're in our own interests then surely we should respect the fact that interests are relative and either "respect" the war crimes meeted out against us in the name of war, or call fucking abhorrence on all of it...

War crimes are the worst, most disgusting thing that war produces, but if we cannot stand on the moral authority of not engaging with that level of base, inhumane violence when we pursue our own interests of national security through force, then how can we condemn those of our enemies or adversaries for doing the same?

No... They're called "crimes" for a reason, and we should be equally disgusted regardless of whomever the perpetrators are.

It's also ironic given the level of outrage we seemed to have over those surveys that demonstrated a degree of sympathy towards the methods/aims of islamic militants by many moderate Muslims across the world. If we think this shit is ok then we really ought to engage in a little less hypocrisy and a little more introspection going forward surely?

geestack

Certainly, no argument from me. My comment was more of a commentary on how warfare has changed. House to house CQC....close....

The other part of my comment was simply that these are exceedingly complex questions of where the line is drawn both from a training perspective but from a practical perspective as well.

In the end...without fancy words created to hide the harsh reality (And I will be the farm that all special units have this mentality to some extent the world over)...We created surgical killers, and they performed the tasks we asked.

appreciate the thoughts man 👍🏼

Navy SEALS put their lives on the line for this country and it sucks to see such a disparaging article.

And should be subject to accountability. Putting your life on the line doesn't give you carte blanche to mutilate corpses and find gratification in spilling brains over your kill's face.

E92 M3

Blind hero worship.

They are lethal instruments of the state, they need to be held to higher standards, not lower.

No, respect for the men that protect our freedom. Everyone could be a keyboard warrior with their indignations, but no one knows how it's like to be out there where everyone wants to kill you.

Not sure if we have any Navy SEALS on GAF, but it's doubtful.

-The Wedding Massacre was disturbing. Bad enough to have "accidentally" sprayed down a wedding party, even worse for one of the SEALS to have shot one of the last survivors, then stomped his head. These werent terrorist or Taliban, they were innocents caught in a crossfire.
-There were a couple of pure psychotics in that unit & the "no snitching" ethos, prolonged the duration of their disgusting behavior.
-Like with every institution where members prefer self policing and internal discipline over outside mediation, a few bad apples can create an almighty stench & infect the barrel.

Jackpot

Banned
No, respect for the men that protect our freedom. Everyone could be a keyboard warrior with their indignations, but no one knows how it's like to be out there where everyone wants to kill you.

No, they shouldn't be held to higher standards?

And only "keyboard warriors" would get so upset over some trifling war crimes?

You don't give an institution respect by letting it run without accountability. Holding an institution to a higher standard is a form of respect.

An institution without accountability isn't worth respecting.

E92 M3

And should be subject to accountability. Putting your life on the line doesn't give you carte blanche to mutilate corpses and find gratification in spilling brains over your kill's face.

it's actually this type of thinking, internally and externally, that lets these war crimes be committed without accountability.

Are you guys in the special forces or the military in general? Do you guys understand what kind of enemy Al Queda was?

It's easy to be a tough guy behind a keyboard.

No, they shouldn't be held to higher standards?

And only "keyboard warriors" would get so upset over some trifling war crimes?

The training to join the Navy SEALS is held to the highest standards. And even higher for SEAL Team 6.

You don't give an institution respect by letting it run without accountability. Holding an institution to a higher standard is a form of respect.

An institution without accountability isn't worth respecting.

Seems like they are doing their job well since America is protected and continuously cementing her place as a world superpower.

Are you guys in the special forces or the military in general? Do you guys understand what kind of enemy Al Queda was?

In that case, why not go the whole hog?

Send in the chemical weapons and melt the fuckers to death eh?

They're not humans like us after all right?

Seriously you should watch that video I posted above...

Blind hero worship.

They are lethal instruments of the state, they need to be held to higher standards, not lower.

That poster didnt read that article.It wasnt a smear of the whole unit, it paints a picture of a team of elite soldiers whose professional conduct was blemished by a handful of psychotics who werent disciplined appropriately.

E92 M3

That poster didnt read that article.It wasnt a smear of the whole unit, it paints a picture of a team of elite soldiers whose professional conduct was blemished by a handful of psychotics who werent disciplined appropriately.

Read the whole article hours ago.

In that case, why not go the whole hog?

Send in the chemical weapons and melt the fuckers to death eh?

They're not humans like us after all right?

Seriously you should watch that video I posted above...

No need to be dramatic, and I will watch it later.

They killed the fucker that murdered thousands of Americans, we should be thanking them not writing some dumb article about "transgressions" that are none of our business.

The training to join the Navy SEALS is held to the highest standards. And even higher for SEAL Team 6.

Seems like they are doing their job well since America is protected and continuously cementing her place as a world superpower.

No, the officers who didn't resort to barbaric mutilation for no reason are to thank for doing their job. I know several people who served in Iraq and NONE of them would have stood for this shit.

Where are you coming from on this, man? Were you a SEAL? Did you serve? Is that why you're here now?

Jackpot

Banned

Neither are you, so why is it ok for you to past judgement on this topic just because it's in favour of them?

Those standards I were referring to were legal and moral ones, i.e. war crimes = no, no!

So again, are you against the idea of soldiers having to follow the law?

we should be thanking them not writing some dumb article about "transgressions" that are none of our business.

hollleeeeeeeeeee shiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeettttttt

They killed the fucker that murdered thousands of Americans, we should be thanking them not writing some dumb article about "transgressions" that are none of our business.
I'll point out again, regardless of what you might feel about the general abuse of corpses, there are distinct reasons why you don't deface the corpse of high-value targets like bin Laden and should not stand for that behavior.

It's not as though they were asked to avoid shooting his face for shits and giggles.

E92 M3

No, the officers who didn't resort to barbaric mutilation for no reason are to thank for doing their job. I know several people who served in Iraq and NONE of them would have stood for this shit.

Where are you coming from on this, man? Were you a SEAL? Did you serve? Is that why you're here now?

No, I am not strong enough to be a Navy SEAL - those men operate on a whole other level. I just respect anyone that serves their country and don't appreciate when people that don't have experience in the field start judging their actions.

I'll point out again, regardless of what you might feel about the general abuse of corpses, there are distinct reasons why you don't deface the corpse of high-value targets like bin Laden and should not stand for that behavior.

It's not as though they were asked to avoid shooting his face for shits and giggles.

I agree that defacing osama bin trashcans corpse was wrong, but I understand why it could happen emotionally. Those SEALS were representing every single victim that fell during 9/11.

It was a powerful moment.

No, I am not strong enough to be a Navy SEAL - those men operate on a whole other level. I just respect anyone that serves their country and don't appreciate when people that don't have experience in the field start judging their actions.

Anyone, huh? Do you respect the Nazis? Guess you don't judge them either.

Which basically means nobody should ever be able to judge their actions though no?

Not even politicians or lawmakers?

Jackpot

Banned

Yet you continue to think it's ok to pass judgement yourself...

Do you believe soldiers should follow the law?

I agree that defacing osama bin trashcans corpse was wrong, but I understand why it could happen emotionally. Those SEALS were representing every single victim that fell during 9/11.

surejan.w529.h352.jpg

If you don't hold them accountable, then you aren't holding them to a high standard at all. They still serve us, and reflect us as a people, and it's up to the people to hold them to that high standard.

Of course they do. They're trained killers. They aren't superhuman individuals, they are prone to the same mental deficiencies as you and I.

I think the OP and article make it seem like this brutality was common in the SEALs, which I doubt. Even the source of the article says so -

Not to be a defeatist, but given the grueling and harsh things these people are asked to do, it does seem like some people going off is going to be inevitable. Maybe that's not true, but I'm not sure what you do as preventative measures and how you even really go about dealing with accountability issues. Especially when it's become so persistent. I guess you could do a full tear down of some of these units, but I don't know how helpful that would ultimately be.

This is kinda where I'm at. You can't realistically expect to send people off to war and have everyone behave themselves. We train these people to be killers. Not only that, but I'm sure many (if not most) special forces operatives have at least one friend who died in the line of duty, which just makes them even more likely to do heinous shit out of revenge.

I am in no way condoning war crimes, but I'm just saying this isn't surprising at all.

Jonnax

The SEALs from the other helicopter immediately headed up a steep hill after landing to locate an armed man who had been shot from the helicopter. When they reached the hilltop, the operators looked down in disbelief at women and children, along with the man — all were dead or mortally wounded from the spray of gunfire from the Chinook’s gunners, who had unloaded after the free fire zone had been declared. They realized the man had been trying to protect the women and children.
According to Hyder, the encounter ended there. But the retired SEAL who was on the mission tells a different story. According to this source, after shooting the man, who turned out to be unarmed, Hyder proceeded to mutilate his body by stomping in his already damaged skull. When Heath, who witnessed Hyder’s actions, reported them to his team leader in the presence of other members of the team, “several of the guys turned and walked away,” said the retired SEAL. “They were disgusted.” He quoted Heath as saying, “I’m morally flexible but I can’t handle that.” Heath refused to comment for this article.

Protecting your freedoms, right?

geestack

It's up the military to punish their own.

i think that the article, along with similar examples from other "self-policing" institutions, shows this doesn't really work.

it's how police that shoot unarmed civilians never really face trials or receive substantive punishment. there is not really a way to punish your own.

It's always the case with these special op/wet works teams. They get the job done, but there's always a couple who turn out to be psychos and go way too far or fuck up royally. Then the rest of the squad or whoever works with them helps sweep it aside until someone else brings it to light.

Bowdz

Dick Couch has a great read, A Tactical Ethic: Moral Conduct in the Insurgent Battlespace, that describes the environment that allows the bad behavior of a minority to proliferate without question. It is very easy to allow the moral decrepitude of a few pervade the group as a whole when in such a tight knit community built on loyalty to the team and organization. I certainly am willing to give a wide berth to the men who work in SOP considering how dangerous and essential it is, but the morality of every operator needs to be emphasized in training to help prevent the emergence of behavior and traditions like this.

It is also exceedingly easy to justify grotesque behaviour when you're not the one being subjected to it.

Are you also ok with torture?

Jackpot

Banned
i think that the article, along with similar examples from other "self-policing" institutions, shows this doesn't really work.

it's how police that shoot unarmed civilians never really face trials or receive substantive punishment. there is not really a way to punish your own.

What's scary is just how willing people are to accept it. The below is a perfect example.

"They killed the fucker that murdered thousands of Americans, we should be thanking them not writing some dumb article about "transgressions" that are none of our business."

Hand-waving away the evidence, the post-truth technique of putting things in scare quotes to de-legitimize them, the writing off of potential war crimes carried out in our name as "none of our business".

It's so self-evidently wrong that no one could believe it, not even the poster as he was writing it. Just your standard post-rationalisation response in order to rabidly defend an imagined sacred order that bears no resemblance to the reality of the people who actually make up that order.

shoelacer

Banned
This question reductive and dumb.

Not only did I not say this but you quoted specific reasons I have to why I reject sites like daily stormer, the intercept, reddit, 4chan, and etc.

yeah, the intercept is equivalent to a white power site, ok gocha

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
What's scary is just how willing people are to accept it. The below is a perfect example.

"They killed the fucker that murdered thousands of Americans, we should be thanking them not writing some dumb article about "transgressions" that are none of our business."

Hand-waving away the evidence, the post-truth technique of putting things in scare quotes to de-legitimize them, the writing off of potential war crimes carried out in our name as "none of our business".

It's so self-evidently wrong that no one could believe it, not even the poster as he was writing it. Just your standard post-rationalisation response in order to rabidly defend an imagined sacred order that bears no resemblance to the reality of the people who actually make up that order.

This honestly makes my blood boil more than the transgressions themselves did. Fucking shameful.

No, I am not strong enough to be a Navy SEAL - those men operate on a whole other level. I just respect anyone that serves their country and don't appreciate when people that don't have experience in

Defending the country doesn't separate a person from personal responsibility. What you're essentially saying is that a Navy Seal who comes back to the US, kills citizens and bathes in their blood is free from judgment. Or your saying that that would be fine as long as it's "over there". Navy Seals are people, not gods and should be treated as people and when they do intentionally horrid things they should be held accountable.

I kind of wonder if there's some sort of psychological warfare element to their actions...
Like, if you're the OpFor and you go to check why your outpost has gone quiet. Finding all your people shot dead is going to be less disturbing than finding them scalped, amputated, & mutilated... right?

lawnchair

Banned
might be missing something but i don't really see a huge deal with how many times they shot osama bin laden in the face.

if we're okay with sending special forces into other sovereign countries without their permission to assassinate people living there, we should be okay with how many times those people get shot in the face.

there isn't a 'legit' or kind way to go assassinate somebody.

JZA

So it's ok when white men act like savages and engage in heinous barbarism, so long as it's for "your protection"...?

But when middle-eastern religious militants do this stuff, they're all neanderthals, medieval primitives and animals?

Gotcha...

I never said its ok, but if there's a group of people whose job it is to find where you live/operate and kill with minimal traces left behind, is it not dangerous to point fingers at people like that? Especially if this group of people doesn't seem to balk at committing war crimes anyway. I didn't say we shouldn't point fingers at them, but I don't think it's unwise or unreasonable to say that those who do should be careful.

Ideally, from a tactical standpoint, the unit's culture should definitely change so that the local populace would be more cooperative with their operations. It's hard for people to come forward with good intel if these units have reputations like this. I think if you frame a culture change from a tactical standpoint, these operators can't argue with the reasoning.

Psychologically, I get what happened too. It was an emotionally powerful encounter for those operatives, and to boot many of them likely suffer from long-term mental health issues from their time in the field, all of which came to the surface in the defacing of a corpse they were specifically told not to deface.

Just because I "get" why it happened doesn't mean I'm willing to let it slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom