• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Honestly, though I won't be buying Clash of Heroes iOS because of its mammoth size, I don't recall getting multiplayer in the DS version and the game was still my favorite DS game that year. The campaign is simply butter -- creamy, delicious butter. The IAP, as I understand it for this game, seems like a moot point, really, especially if you can simply unlock the "factions" by playing through the campaign. I have no idea of the quality of the multiplayer, but for me the main appeal is the campaign anyway. People interested in this game should set all other concerns aside and dive into the campaign...if you can stomach making two-mother-fucking gigs of space on your device.

/laments the fact they didn't simply port the DS version

Honestly, though I won't be buying Clash of Heroes iOS because of its mammoth size, I don't recall getting multiplayer in the DS version and the game was still my favorite DS game that year. The campaign is simply butter -- creamy, delicious butter. The IAP, as I understand it for this game, seems like a moot point, really, especially if you can simply unlock the "factions" by playing through the campaign. I have no idea of the quality of the multiplayer, but for me the main appeal is the campaign anyway. People interested in this game should set all other concerns aside and dive into the campaign...if you can stomach making two-mother-fucking gigs of space on your device.

/laments the fact they didn't simply port the DS version

DS has both multi-cart and single-cart multiplayer. Doing the single-cart MP was such a development bitch but I am glad we did it.

SteveWD40

Slap Down

i4JYi.gif

Fucking A. No Paywall no problem, we need to stop the race to the bottom pricing on iOS or no one will bother with it and we will all end up paying to win on shit games. IAP (in this form) is fine, it makes more money for the developer and can be ignored if needs be.

Yikes 2 gigs?? Yessh I was mainly buying it to play on my Ipad not sure if I have the space for it.

Really? That will make it very difficult to get on my Mini. Shame as I was really looking forward to it. I'm not sure if your talking about Clash of Heroes or not. According to AppShopper it's only 508MB

Really? That will make it very difficult to get on my Mini. Shame as I was really looking forward to it. I'm not sure if your talking about Clash of Heroes or not. According to AppShopper it's only 508MB

I've downloaded it to the iphone. It's 508MB.
And so far it's fun.
I've been using a stylus as my giant fat fingers make the tapping a bit too tricky.
Probably less of an issue on ipads.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that once it installs it is almost 2 gigs.

PittaGAF

Thanks - you've always been a very outspoken proponent of our baby, and we really appreciate it!

No problem, the game you created IS amazing.
(I loved Sword&Sworcery too, so this makes us friends forever :p )

Now...after 2 more solid hours with the game I can say: it's OUTSTANDING.
Honestly...it's MORE than I hoped it would have been.
I never dared to hope for Universal, iCloud, async multiplayer...and I really feared for a compromised port from the HD version.
I was REALLY REALLY skeptical at first, expecially after hearing about port quirks from previews.
Well...it must be a different version for sure because as hard as I tried, I had no problems whatsoever.
Nothing, nada, zero.
On the contrary...a bit like my emotions with Bastion...I have now this gorgeous world in my hands, with this incredibly compelling and strategic gameplay to master.
I absolutely had no tapping problems....I hear many have problems getting rid of a unit.
I feel it absolutely natural...it is EXACTELY when you delete an app from your springboard, just you have to press a bit more (you have a cool flashing circle that fills itself...when it's filled you simply tap the red minus).
I swipe for every other interactions (both on the main map and in the gameplay screen).
If I MUST find a quirk I can say that sometimes the subtitles (in Italian) use words longer than the squared box that should contain them (happened 2 times...I wish I could select the English ones to check) and some menus backgrounds are dithered (really strange...they could have used a solid brown for the menus).
When you exit to the main menu a big ADs appear...you will probably never see this.
Ok...other than that it is a freaking fantastic port of a freaking fantastic game.
This is valid if from the second world onward the game doesn't transforms itself in utter crap...but I strongly find it hard to belive :p

BTW...I went the extra mile and checked the 360 version...they are identical BAR two important things:
1) iPad loading is MUCH faster (you can't even read the hints)
2) Tapping is sooooooooooooooooooo much better than pad on this game.

iCloud works LIKE A CHARM.
It even detected I had network problems when I opened the game on my iPhone and asked me which saves I want to use (local or iCloud, which were not in sync because of the network problems).

This game, like others in the past (Bastion come to mind) is how you treat iOS world like a triple A console (with the right games...not absurd adaptation of first person shooters that on iOS are crap imho).

Now back to playing...must put to use those cool Elite Units I just unlocked.

EDIT: I forgot to say...I do not know if it's a promotional thing...but the price is a real STEAL.

GeekyDad

I've downloaded it to the iphone. It's 508MB.
And so far it's fun.
I've been using a stylus as my giant fat fingers make the tapping a bit too tricky.
Probably less of an issue on ipads.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that once it installs it is almost 2 gigs.

Yeah, that's the uninstalled file size. The game will take up 1.87 gigs of space on your device once installed.

J0dy77

What are you talking about?
The game HAS corss-saves between devices (multiple too).
I started playing on iPad this morning and continued on iPhone some minutes ago.
Worked like a charm...it supports iCloud sync.
So I bet that what you unlock in one device is unlocked in the others too (every other game that had this feature worked so at least).

I'll buy the game for this fact alone. I was on the fence but this just sold me.

People need to calm down about IAP. If you can unlock all of the content by completing the game, who cares? It's only if there is a pay wall if the IAP becomes a problem.

This game, like others in the past (Bastion come to mind) is how you treat iOS world like a triple A console (with the right games...not absurd adaptation of first person shooters that on iOS are crap imho).

Couldn't agree with this more.

PittaGAF

I'll buy the game for this fact alone. I was on the fence but this just sold me.

People need to calm down about IAP. If you can unlock all of the content by completing the game, who cares? It's only if there is a pay wall if the IAP becomes a problem.

Just FYI I went the extra mile and caused network problems to see how it handles them
Started on iPad...played, then continued on iPhone...turned off router...got a call, airplane mode...
After a while the game warned me about saves out of sync between local and iCloud, and asked me what I wanted to do (pull or overwrite).

Worked like a charm.

Apple should force EVERY dev to do so, besides universal.

Miker

Cromulent Word - do you guys see any of the money from the iOS version of Clash of Heroes? I don't need another iOS game to play, but if you guys got a portion of the sales I'd probably buy it right now.

Also, I don't suppose Critter Crunch is coming back to iOS any time soon? :(

Tobor

Good. Means they did not cut any corners. I will be picking it up for my iPad later tonight. Looks really good!

Exactly. The complaints about file size are grating. Devs already feel pressure to keep file sizes low, and it's restricting innovation and quality.

Anyone looking at an iOS device in the future, 32GB should be the minimum if you are into gaming.

Fox Mulder

Yikes 2 gigs?? Yessh I was mainly buying it to play on my Ipad not sure if I have the space for it.

I'm fine with big games, they're only going to get bigger, and I buy 32gb ipads. I do hate bloated games though, there's no reason why a game like chrono trigger needs to be like 600mb's.

I am fine with big games also, my ipad was a hand me down sell so I am limited to the 16 gig as it was a great deal I couldn't pass up.

Just a little shocked a game like that needs 2 gigs, but I have never played it. Just judging from the screenshots. I assume it has a lot of voice acting, or movies?

Cromulent Word - do you guys see any of the money from the iOS version of Clash of Heroes? I don't need another iOS game to play, but if you guys got a portion of the sales I'd probably buy it right now.

Also, I don't suppose Critter Crunch is coming back to iOS any time soon? :(

I can't talk about contract terms. Even if I could, I don't think its the right thing to do.

We're doing everything we can to get Critter Crunch back after Disney took it down. No news yet but rest assured we're trying.

chicobalay

Neo Member
If your dumb enough to buy something IAP that you can earn in the game .... from playing it, then you deserve to be ripped off.

Hey, cool down, i'm just asking if there's something extra in the 7.99 pack apart from the complete factions. It seems that you can play some bosses too.

ParityBit

Hey, cool down, i'm just asking if there's something extra in the 7.99 pack apart from the complete factions. It seems that you can play some bosses too.

Oh no! I didn't mean for it come off looking like I was directing that at you :) Or the company! Just meaning you would have to be dumb to pay 2 bucks over the individual prices if nothing new was added. :) Sorry for the confusion.

Miker

I can't talk about contract terms. Even if I could, I don't think its the right thing to do.

We're doing everything we can to get Critter Crunch back after Disney took it down. No news yet but rest assured we're trying.

That's understandable. I'll be picking it up regardless, but I was just curious. Anyway, good luck finishing up work on Super Time Force. I'll be pre-ordering it as soon as it (hopefully? inevitably?) hits Steam :) Thanks for all the games!

I've only had a little bit of time with it but Clash of Heroes is amazing ! Never even heard of the game before (don't have a DS or 360).

Now I wish for a real HoMM (or King's Bounty) on iOS, probably not going to happen.

Anilones

chubigans: I've completed Cook, Serve, Delicious (
Platinum stars
) but have not gained Game Centre achievements for one and two star restaurants (I finished these two without internet access). It's only a minor issue but thought I'd mention it as you are present.

chris121580

Thanks - you've always been a very outspoken proponent of our baby, and we really appreciate it!

Ok wait a second. Everyone who has been around GAF for a while will know that A) I answer criticism as best I can and B) Capy has always tried to do whats best for fans first and foremost. Keeping that, plus the fact that Capy was not involved in the port (which you clearly state) in mind, please take a step down. It is frustrating, as a developer, that educated gamers like those on GAF immediately blame devs for business decisions which, 99.9% of the time, are out of their control. You guys are smarter than this. But that's beyond the point.

Capy's name is on this game because we created it. The gameplay, the art, the sound. Our name is not on the game because we had any say in its iOS development. I have no idea where IAP screens pop up, nor why. We bought the game last night like everyone else. All I care about is that our game is given good treatment on new devices, and I hear Tag Games did a great job there.

So, in closing, before you go on a rant trying to belittle my company (who busts ass trying to do gamers, and GAF'ers, right) for something we weren't even a part of, please think about it a bit more.

Sorry for being harsh, but this really rubbed me the wrong way at 8:30am when it's -20 degrees celsius.
Man, I wish everyone here at both GAF and in particular TA would read this response. Brilliant

GeekyDad

Good. Means they did not cut any corners. I will be picking it up for my iPad later tonight. Looks really good!

No, it simply means they didn't compress the resolution of the assets. The file size doesn't say anything about the quality of the game itself. But yeah, I hear the port was done well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I always think it's cool that folks from the big iOS devs post here, especially when they've been long-time posters and are genuinely engaged in the community like Cromulent (and several others).

Congrats on the game; always dig the bright and colorful Capy style.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
chubigans: I've completed Cook, Serve, Delicious (
Platinum stars
) but have not gained Game Centre achievements for one and two star restaurants (I finished these two without internet access). It's only a minor issue but thought I'd mention it as you are present.

Huh, that shouldn't be the case...I will definitely give this a look and get it fixed by the next patch. Sorry about that!

Short version: It was taken down from the app store by the publisher.

Aw man, sorry to hear that. I was actually going to pick that up this weekend since it's a light release week. :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Played some more HOMM on my 4S and my judgement falls perfectly in line with Pitta's, it's definitely a great game or port. I love how in the campaign you can either click on the node you wanna walk to or simply swipe towards it - perfect if the node is barely visible on screen.

Unit selection MIGHT be a bit tricky on the small screen, i see why people might have issues with that, but I don't think that's the port's fault, that's just how small the units are. E.g. Triple-taps to bring up the unit stats are hard to do, oftentimes one of the 3 taps will accidentally hit an adjacent unit.

Otherwise, just read what Pitta wrote, it's a great game with a load of content, and I haven't even touched MP yet...

I'd rather him do it than me just in case he doesn't want them reading it for whatever reason

Thanks for thinking this way. My post was a specific response to a post here, so it wouldn't make sense on TA and I'd definitely not want it cross-posted.

I always think it's cool that folks from the big iOS devs post here, especially when they've been long-time posters and are genuinely engaged in the community like Cromulent (and several others).

Congrats on the game; always dig the bright and colorful Capy style.

I started posting on GAF before Capy had really done much beyond licensed pre-IOS cell phone games - so I was engaged here before we made anything really cool ;)

Lots of credit should go to Tag Games, they handled a tough port well. Thanks for the kind words though.

Aw man, sorry to hear that. I was actually going to pick that up this weekend since it's a light release week. :(
Yea it sucks, but we're trying our best (still) to sort it out.

Lee N

Membre
Ok wait a second. Everyone who has been around GAF for a while will know that A) I answer criticism as best I can and B) Capy has always tried to do whats best for fans first and foremost. Keeping that, plus the fact that Capy was not involved in the port (which you clearly state) in mind, please take a step down. It is frustrating, as a developer, that educated gamers like those on GAF immediately blame devs for business decisions which, 99.9% of the time, are out of their control. You guys are smarter than this. But that's beyond the point.

Capy's name is on this game because we created it. The gameplay, the art, the sound. Our name is not on the game because we had any say in its iOS development. I have no idea where IAP screens pop up, nor why. We bought the game last night like everyone else. All I care about is that our game is given good treatment on new devices, and I hear Tag Games did a great job there.

So, in closing, before you go on a rant trying to belittle my company (who busts ass trying to do gamers, and GAF'ers, right) for something we weren't even a part of, please think about it a bit more.

Sorry for being harsh, but this really rubbed me the wrong way at 8:30am when it's -20 degrees celsius.

I had no intention of discrediting your work in any way, but like it or not - your name is being associated with the product whether you were directly involved with the port or not, or had any say in any business decisions. As unfortunate and frustrating this may be…

My concerns about the IAPs weren't as much about being nickle-and-dimed and if you read through my initial post again you'll see that I suspected that it might be possible to unlock everything by playing the game.

The issue here is that this isn't being communicated properly in the game, or even at all. If you try to see things from the consumer point of view for a moment you'll see that we had no way of knowing. Being prompted to buy stuff in a game you just paid for is never a pleasant surprise, and if the game isn't doing anything to clue you in to the fact that the IAPs are quite harmless then it's easy to assume the worst - we're used to the worst…

The App Store entry mentioned nothing about any IAPs in prior to my purchase and the in-game Clash Store mentions nothing about the packs being superficial upgrades for the multiplayer mode, which is a problem. The vast majority of the consumers of the game won't be forum regulars so it needs to be communicated more efficiently.

Another, fairly ridiculous, problem (also mentioned in my original post) was the fact that they were charging $6.99 for all five factions when you could them individually for $0.99 - further adding to the overall impression of them trying to screw the consumer. I see now that this has since been adressed and they are instead charging $2.99 for it, which is more reasonable.

I stand behind my criticis, but you were not the intended target even though I adressed your company in this thread. My reasoning was that, even though you weren't directly involved, maybe you had something to say about it or could forward it to the people it may concern. Instead you got angry with me and I'm sorry you took it that way, please understand that I wasn't trying to belittle your company at all.

I just got back home from work now so I'm eager to sink some time into the game on my iPad mini now. Judging by the comments in this thread it seems like I'll be in for a good time.

It has been cold here in Sweden too by the way, -19°c this morning…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom