• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I really hate how wall jumping feels in Loe2. The differences in the way you jump off walls depending on which direction you are pressing somehow feels unintuitive.

Shearie

Got to the first boss in LOE2 and it wasn't good. Would have preferred another regular level. Hopefully the other bosses are better.

Thanks for you inputs in this thread. I was just thinking the whole think was slowing down and you appeared with this. I didn't know about Run/Jump/Kill and Gravonaut so I might just pick that up. Especially Gravonaut actually.

No problem. :-D

Im getting my first ever iPhone tommorrow (4S) after having my iPad2 for 6 months, what iPhone-only games have I been missing out on? Already planing on some Kairosoft games and FFT

Dungeon Raid was the first game I bought when I got my iPhone. I had been holding out on an iPad version or universal update so the hype I built up for the game in my head was pretty high, and it lived up to every bit of it.

Aaron

Greed Corp is on sale again for $1. Great strategy game that's worth it. Honestly, I wish it had a little more depth, but it's plenty fun and has online multiplayer.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
LoE 2 is ok I guess. For a buck I can't complain too much, but the novelty of having a platformer with passable controls has worn off.

I think I'll just go back to Cytus.

Shearie

Lost all my saved game progress in LoE2. Seems like this is happening to other people too according to the TouchArcade forums. Guess this game is going in the backlog until an update comes out that fixes this.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Lost all my saved game progress in LoE2. Seems like this is happening to other people too according to the TouchArcade forums. Guess this game is going in the backlog until an update comes out that fixes this.

Damn thanks for the heads up backed up my data.

edit:lol just launched LoE2 and it said I had no stars and I just restored my data from the backup I just made haha.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Very impressed with LoE2 from the hour I played it on the bus this morning. Controls seem just as good as in the first game, although the double jump from a wall feels a little sketchy, I can't tell if this is me or the game though. New art is really impressive in person. I hated it when I saw the preview video but it's brilliant, so fluid and expressive. It's a little touch but I especially like the turrets now, they look badass.

A nice unexpected treat for the morning commute.

Playing LoE2. At one point, I thought my saved data erased. I went back to the main menu and tried again and everything was there.

Another thing, I just finished chapter 1 on normal, yet on the leaderboards, it says I cleared it on easy. Anyone else having this problem?

Dries

So recently I recieved an iTunes gift card and I'm kinda in the mood for an RPG. Right now I'm thinking about Final Fantasy III or Chrono Trigger. Things I value high are story, atmosphere and graphics. And of course it needs to be fun to play, but I think that's the case with both games.

What would you reccomend me GAF?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So recently I recieved an iTunes gift card and I'm kinda in the mood for an RPG. Right now I'm thinking about Final Fantasy III or Chrono Trigger. Things I value high are story, atmosphere and graphics. And of course it needs to be fun to play, but I think that's the case with both games.

Having played both on DS I'd say Chrono Trigger all the way, but that's because as a DQ player I hate the way that FF punishes death and it's broken stupid save system. Working through a dungeon for an hour to die at the boss and restart the whole fucking dungeon again is not, in any way, fun to me. Add to that a barebones plot and characters and it's a bit of a boring game IMO.

But Chrono Trigger is a pleasure from start to end, if you've not played it before you're in for a treat.

Just want to make sure of something -

My hard drive is filling up on my iMac thanks to my addiction to iOS gaming. With the advent of iCloud and everything, if I delete all my apps off my computer, they're still registered and tied to my iTunes account so I can re-download them (without having to repurchase) at a later date, correct?

I am reasonably sure this is how it works but I'd like to be, y'know, 110% before I go deleting like 10-20Gigs of apps.

Radogol

With the advent of iCloud and everything, if I delete all my apps off my computer, they're still registered and tied to my iTunes account so I can re-download them (without having to repurchase) at a later date, correct?

That was true even way before iCloud. However, without the cloud you are likely to lose your saves.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just want to make sure of something -

My hard drive is filling up on my iMac thanks to my addiction to iOS gaming. With the advent of iCloud and everything, if I delete all my apps off my computer, they're still registered and tied to my iTunes account so I can re-download them (without having to repurchase) at a later date, correct?

I am reasonably sure this is how it works but I'd like to be, y'know, 110% before I go deleting like 10-20Gigs of apps.

Well, you will loose your purchases if you change your iTunes account store region, eg. move country.

Dries

Having played both on DS I'd say Chrono Trigger all the way, but that's because as a DQ player I hate the way that FF punishes death and it's broken stupid save system. Working through a dungeon for an hour to die at the boss and restart the whole fucking dungeon again is not, in any way, fun to me. Add to that a barebones plot and characters and it's a bit of a boring game IMO.

But Chrono Trigger is a pleasure from start to end, if you've not played it before you're in for a treat.

Oh right.... Dat save system.. Seems I'm gonna take this Chrono Trigger treat then.

Pastry

Banned
Beat Sneak Bandit is the big release tonight? I thought Kids vs Goblins was coming out really soon, hopefully next week I guess.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Beat Sneak Bandit is the big release tonight? I thought Kids vs Goblins was coming out really soon, hopefully next week I guess.

Yeah, Beat Sneak tonight afaik. Really looking forward to KvG though, I'm just about ready for a meaty strategic game to get my teeth into since I'm slowly working my way through my backlog and clearing it out. Too many awesome games every week.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I don't think Chrono Trigger is a particularly good port. The touch controls aren't great and the visuals suffer from scaling artifacts and a lower framerate than the SNES and DS versions. It looks pretty sloppy to me.

Still a great game, though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't think Chrono Trigger is a particularly good port. The touch controls aren't great and the visuals suffer from scaling artifacts and a lower framerate than the SNES and DS versions. It looks pretty sloppy to me.

Still a great game, though.

You may think differently (and judging by your other posts on GAF there is a high chance of this :p ) but I'd much rather "great game" + "shitty port" over "shitty game" + "acceptable port"

dLMN8R

Man, more than anything from apple this year I want an upgraded iPod touch. I'm addicted to iOS games all over again, but the latest gen touch struggles with poor batter life and only 256MB of ram. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if one based on the 4S or 5 comes out.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Guys, is there a way to sync music from my laptop to my iPod WITHOUT having to sync also my apps? I'd like to erase all the apps from the laptop because they are taking an ungodly amount of space, but right now if I do that, the apps will be erased from the iPod.

Reese-015

With all of the LoE2 buzz I decided to install and play them both. Been playing LoE1 for a bit, goddamn this is good! Had ignored it until now cause it looked like 'just another meh retro platformer' with basic pixel art that is not engaging to me.

I was wrong. The controls are amazingly responsive and just feel right. The platforming is really fun, satisfying and challenging. The art style is simple and minimal but with plenty of soul and charm.

LoE fucking rocks. Already having more fun with it than with any other platformer on the platform, whether 2D or 3D. It's really about the gameplay though, which is why I had ignored it until now. That might sound a bit strange but often I get into platformers, especially the 3D ones, because I like the exploration and sense of progression through the game's world and I don't care all that much about the actual platforming. LoE is not a game to play with that mentality, it's a game you wanna play if you just really wanna try to own the shit out of a finely tuned kick-ass platformer with simple but charming visuals.

If you really love story.

Pick up Ash. Production values aren't as high as SE, but really well written story with great characters.

And I just picked up plunder land. Why the fuck is this game so great? How did I miss this?

HBP

Guys, is there a way to sync music from my laptop to my iPod WITHOUT having to sync also my apps? I'd like to erase all the apps from the laptop because they are taking an ungodly amount of space, but right now if I do that, the apps will be erased from the iPod.

There is a trick to this that I did recently for the same but you have to be careful. Uncheck sync Apps in iTunes, the warning will come up disregard, then click sync IMMEDIATELY unplug your device. Then plug back in and sync (making sure it isn't going to remove any apps), once it is safe then go ahead and deleted the Apps from iTunes.

MAKE SURE THAT WIFI SYNC IS TURNED OFF OR BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN! lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, LoE2 is so much harder than the first game! I love it for it though, it's devious, but those 3 star times are a bitch to get this time around.

How are you lot holding your iPads while playing it? I started off in landscape but I'm much ordering portrait after switching to it. I love that the debs offer the choice, and I also adore the mid screen controls (take note developers!!!).

Great little game.

Vire

How do you get 3 stars on 1-18 in League of Evil 2?!?!

I got 9.2 seconds and I thought I was being a badass...

The time limit is 9 seconds. :(

Enjoying it nonetheless.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How do you get 3 stars on 1-18 in League of Evil 2?!?!

I got 9.2 seconds and I thought I was being a badass...

The time limit is 9 seconds. :(

Enjoying it nonetheless.

Heh I struggled with that one too. You know those spikes where the briefcase are? You need to drop down just before them, jump then punch then jump again. If you time it right you should come out of that into the wall jumps going up (hit the left hand side wall and start wall jumping). Then when you get to the top, punch across the little spike gap and double jump right away to hit the wall. Double jump off the wall and then punch punch towards the scientist.

Hope I described that ok, it's hard to out across what you need to do in text! It took me a good few goes before I got it.

Vire

Heh I struggled with that one too. You know those spikes where the briefcase are? You need to drop down just before them, jump then punch then jump again. If you time it right you should come out of that into the wall jumps going up (hit the left hand side wall and start wall jumping). Then when you get to the top, punch across the little spike gap and double jump right away to hit the wall. Double jump off the wall and then punch punch towards the scientist.

Hope I described that ok, it's hard to out across what you need to do in text! It took me a good few goes before I got it.

Thanks very much for the description. I'll give it a go!

My save data got erased earlier today. :/

Hope they patch that soon.

EDIT: Got it!

:D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks very much for the description. I'll give it a go!

My save data got erased earlier today. :/

Hope they patch that soon.

EDIT: Got it!

:D

Aw yeah! The first level of the second world is a total bitch as well. I'm thinking I'll leave the three stars until the second playthrough for now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
man, League of Evil 2's difficulty (for getting 3 stars) is a lot harder. Already having trouble beating par times in the first set of stages.

Also, I think I enjoy the new art and stuff, mainly cause it seems like the game runs smoother because of it

Zeth

I read that people are losing saves for Raid Leader on jailbroken devices? Anyone else have this? I've made some significant progress, now I'm afraid to play it, maybe I'll wait until they update it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
wtf? I just beat chapter 1 in League of Evil 2 on "normal" difficulty but it placed me on the easy difficulty in the leaderboards. The hell?

wtf? I just beat chapter 1 in League of Evil 2 on "normal" difficulty but it placed me on the easy difficulty in the leaderboards. The hell?

I was wondering if anyone else had that same problem. Don't know how they could mess that up. Even more reason to wait for an update.

MDJCM

Dammit I'm so disappointed in Reckless Racing 2! I absolutely love the first one, great driving/drifting physics. They've rebuilt it in the sequel and now the handling doesn't make sense. The cars handle like they pivot on a pole in the middle. The wheels don't actually make sense to the track

AARRGGHHHHH, I hate incompetence, what lead designer is responsible for this??

Zeth

Dammit I'm so disappointed in Reckless Racing 2! I absolutely love the first one, great driving/drifting physics. They've rebuilt it in the sequel and now the handling doesn't make sense. The cars handle like they pivot on a pole in the middle. The wheels don't actually make sense to the track

AARRGGHHHHH, I hate incompetence, what lead designer is responsible for this??

Keep playing. I've grown to love it. Played the first one, but a long time ago, and never noticed a difference. I play with the half wheel and chase cam, I've gotten really awesome at it. Probably put over 20 hours into it. Half wheel allows awesome precision when you learn to use. Perfect laps are so satisfying with the faster cars.

3 crashes and lost save in LoE2, how does this kind of stuff always happen? Now I have to do 1-18 again damnit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I was wondering if anyone else had that same problem. Don't know how they could mess that up. Even more reason to wait for an update.
Also had a bug on the first level, when I grabbed the suitcase, my guy teleported into a blank screen and I was stuck. Had to reset. I also clipped through the ground in another stage. Game is buggy.

Sounds like an announcement for Max Payne iOS is coming soon, suppose to be released in the next few months. I'm guessing it'll coincide with Max Payne 3

Row

Banned
I don't get how stars work in loe2. Do you need a fast time and the briefcase on the same run to get 3 stars?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't get how stars work in loe2. Do you need a fast time and the briefcase on the same run to get 3 stars?

Stars is only for beating the clock. But you get a gold rating or whatever if you get both the briefcase and beating the clock. You don't have to get both at the same time, so it's best to go for either one but not for both at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom