• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The IT'S SPRING thread of cleaning your dang yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanity

Banned
UPDATE - added a small guide on how to plant grass

Hey Neogaf yard-havers, Spring is finally here, and you know what that means: Spring cleanup time! It's time to get off your bum and start raking up all the leftover sticks and leaves from last fall, and get your lawn ready for Summer.

Why am I making this thread? Well, I've been working as a landscaper between (and during) semesters for the past 8 years (started in highschool, now we here), and I've accumulated a fair bit of yard-tending knowledge over this period. I've been doing spring cleanups for the past few weeks, and would like to pass on some of my commercial knowledge so as many gaffers as possible can have a perfect yard this year!

First off, we're gonna need some equipment. I'm gonna order these by necessity. If you're poor as hell, all you really need is a spring rake and a tarp (or trash container if you don't have a place to dump), but a few more pieces of equipment can make all the difference.

EQUIPMENT

Number 1 - SPRING RAKE

cf24a-small.jpg

Get you one of the metal ones. You'll thank me later.

Number 2 - TARP

Smaller is honestly better. (somewhere around 3-4' x 6' is my sweet spot. It's also good to have a larger one on deck) Don't be fooled by the landscapers using those big green trashcans to move leaves around. It's 100x easier to rake stuff onto a tarp and sling it over your back than it is to lug those green monstrosities around.

Number 3 - GLOVES

A good pair of gloves can make a huge difference. I use these Kobalt (Lowe's brand) gloves because they have an extra bit of leather covering the parts of the glove that tend to wear down first. That grey backing breathes super nice, too.
Trust me on this one.

Number 4 - EDGER

If you have beds. Use an ice scraper. You'll be surprised. Can double as a weed-removal tool.

Number 5 - IRON RAKE

Not necessary, but so soooo useful. Get one of these if you have mulched beds in your yard.

Number 6 - SUNSCREEN AND/OR HAT

This one goes without saying. Kiss My Face is a good brand. You don't want skin cancer. I don't want skin cancer. No one wants skin cancer. Don't go above 30spf.

Okay, now that we have the basic equipment down, you're gonna want to go out and pick all the sticks and leaves out of the corners of your yard with the aforementioned rake and tarp. If you've never used a tarp before to clean a yard up, you're welcome.

Now comes the important part:

DE-THATCH YOUR LAWN!!!

Your grass has been sitting dormant all winter, so now it needs some air. Last summer was one of the hottest and driest in years, so chances are you had a lot of dead grass. Well, all that dead grass needs to be cleared away to make room for new growth, so you're gonna have to scrape it all up and get rid of that thatch. There are two ways to do this: You can use your metal spring rake to roughly scratch up the lawn (don't be afraid to really dig in there; you can't really hurt your grass that bad). Or, you can visit your local equipment store and rent a push de-thatcher. They kind of suck to use, but are 100x better than manually scraping your entire lawn with a spring rake. It's worth the rental fee. While you're there, rent a backpack blower to blow all the thatch into piles, or into your woods. These are HUGE time-savers.

You can either rake all of the thatch onto a tarp, or leave it to blow in the wind and decay eventually. Raking it all up looks better, so I prefer to do it that way, but if you're lazy, you can just let it all sit and it'll disappear soon enough. The important bit was scratching everything up so the grass can breathe.

SO. You've got all the sticks and leaves raked up, and the lawn is freshly de-thatched and looking ready to go. Now what? Now, you FERTILIZE.

Fertilizing tips:

If you have a problem with crab grass and weeds in your lawn, you should find a fertilizer with "crab grass control" in it. Otherwise, just good ol' fashioned fertilizer will do the trick. I'm not a fertilizer expert (as I work landscaping, not fertilizing), so you should honestly just look up a lawncare fertilizing guide if you plan on doing it yourself for the year. However, if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend paying a local company to regularly fertilize your lawn. It makes a huge difference.

SO. Your yard is cleaned up and your grass is fertilized and ready to grow. Now what?
Now you get your BEDS ready, silly.

Bed Care

If you have mulched beds in your yard, you're going to want to edge these ASAP. Grab that ice scraper, or an edger, or even a flat shovel, and get to work. See that bed pictured above? Notice how the mulch goes to the bottom of the edges, leaving a noticeable wall going up to the grass above? This is what you should be aiming for. Get your edges nice and deep, and use the aforementioned iron rake to pull the dirt away from your edges so that there's plenty of room to put mulch down without drowning those edges out. Oh, and while you're at it, use that edger to pry weeds out of the bed and make sure to rake those up before you're done.

Now you're gonna want to get some weed prevention down. I swear by the PREEN brand of weed preventers. It comes in bags, and you just sprinkle a generous amount all over your bed BEFORE mulching and it kills all those weed seeds dead. Preen will also prevent seeds that you *want* to grow from growing, so make sure you keep it away from your garden. If you can find the commercial PREEN PLUS, then snap that stuff up fast, because it works twice as well as the homeowner's version of Preen. Make sure to wear a latex or nitrile glove when spreading, though, because it's not good for your skin.

Well, congratulations, you're done for now! It's still a bit too early to be mulching, but if you clean up your yard, fertilize, edge and prep your beds, you should be ahead of the game. And if it's mulching season at your place, then get to it! Mulching's pretty self-explanatory. Just make sure those edges have room to breathe once all that mulch is down.

240_F_21452438_0pTmass49wD1h52TxVjUTHO8YwYXwH5m.jpg

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot to add sun screen or hat for protection from the sun.

Oh man, I moved into a house last summer in August and it has a HUGE back yard. Takes me about 2 hours to mow the whole damn thing and I've gotta do it once a week. This thread just reminds me of how green it's starting to get. D:

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm a huge fan of milorganite as well if you can find it in your area.

The lawncare nut has some pretty good videos on YouTube for lawncare.

I definitely need a metal spring rake and new gloves. Thanks OP.

Cyanity

Banned
I'm a huge fan of milorganite as well if you can find it in your area.

The lawncare nut has some pretty good videos on YouTube for lawncare.

I definitely need a metal spring rake and new gloves. Thanks OP.

I have a customer who swears by milorganite, and if you can get over the smell it's AMAZING. Highly recommended.

No need for a rake here o.0 Took care of the leaves in the fall instead of letting them sit in my yard at winter. Just time for weekly mowing and fertilizer. Also need something to keep this damn ground hog away from my house. ;(

Cyanity

Banned
Come clean the people down my street's yard.

I could probably weedwack all of that grass in less than 20 minutes. You could probably guerrilla do it yourself, lol.

Oh and this reminds me, does anyone know a quick way to pick up a ton of twigs\small branches ? I have a really large tree in my tree lawn that just crapped all over my yard during some 70+ mph winds lately...I can't touch the tree itself since the city owns "my" tree that I have to take care of.

I use a metal spring rake and a tarp to bang out large areas of sticks. Put the tarp down, then walk around and pick up all of the larger sticks and break them so they fit on the tarp, then rake up the smaller stuff and drag it away.

Oh and this reminds me, does anyone know a quick way to pick up a ton of twigs\small branches ? I have a really large tree in my tree lawn that just crapped all over my yard during some 70+ mph winds lately...I can't touch the tree itself since the city owns "my" tree that I have to take care of.

OldMan

Banned
Around this time of the year its mostly seeding, fertilizing, mulch. than late summer we'd get calls for aeration using one of these badboys
Core-Aerating-Machine-300x200.jpg

piercing the grass leaving nickle sized holes so you can dump your Kentucky blue grass or whatever in and water. I never returned to lawns worked but we got a lot of calls asking for that specifically.

Don't forget your pink flamingos, amigos.

Gross.

Not having to do yard work is really high up on the list of reasons why I have a job. Right up there with having internet.

I pay people to do all this for me. It's super cheap.

You all keep on keeping on tho! =P

Nista

I don't have a lawn, but I do have plants in a narrow strip of dirt around my patio. Over the winter a ton of grass and weeds have sprung up there, any suggestions for better tools for removing them without harming the rose bushes? Or do I just have to get my gloves on and dig and pull out the grass by hand?

Cyanity

Banned
I don't have a lawn, but I do have plants in a narrow strip of dirt around my patio. Over the winter a ton of grass and weeds have sprung up there, any suggestions for better tools for removing them without harming the rose bushes? Or do I just have to get my gloves on and dig and pull out the grass by hand?

Get you one of these three prong claws:

kent-and-stowe-3-prong-hand-cultivator-stainless-steel-20.jpeg

Pretty much every hardware store should have some version of the above in stock. Smack the weed a few times to loosen it, scrape some dirt back, and then pull it out with your hands.

HeySeuss

Man this is one of the best parts of being a homeowner. I love taking care of my yard and I only started fertilizing last year. Got all of the stuff done over the last few weekends and mowed last Saturday for the first mow of the season and my grass looks the best it's ever looked. I'll need to go back over in about 6 weeks for the late spring fertilizer and insect treatment, but I'm on top of it this year.

Have a few dead patches that I need to reseed though, so that's tomorrow after I mow again. And then it's mulchbed day. Spent a long time edging them I last year and most of the work is already done so I just need to touch it up and lay new mulch. I feel sorry for all the people that don't want to bother with it. It's so satisfying to maintain your domain and make it look nice.

Tending to my pond is also satisfying as well. Although that requires a little more effort, it's so worth it.

Nice thread op!

otapnam

So wats the best fertilizer with crab grass control? My front yards like 50% crabs. At least it's green though lol

Mohonky

Im seriously fucked.

Its Autumn here and Im looking after the old mans house while he is gone. Yard looks deadish but weedless entire time he's gone the bam, just as Autumn hits we get smashed with rain for weeks. The grass comea up but so do a million damn weeds. Its been nearly impossible to weed between the rain and the damn wind so now Im running around like a headless chicken chasing weeds that seem to be multiplying by the day.

Ive sprayed everything Ive seen but I dont think they'll be dead by the time he gets back.....I can already hear the condescending tone now.

HeySeuss

So wats the best fertilizer with crab grass control? My front yards like 50% crabs. At least it's green though lol

Hard to say and I'm by no means an expert. But Scott's makes a 4 step fertilizer program that tells you what bag to use when over the course of the season. Bag 1 gets laid down in the spring, bag 2 in the late spring, etc. It makes it dummy proof.

Wife and I started cleaning up the yard a week ago. Previous owners left a bunch of bricks and shit in a section of the yard right next to the house. We spent the afternoon cleaning the shit up. I then woke up in the middle of the night with my back spasming, in the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. We then spent the next few hours in the ER before the second dose of drugs finally gave me relief.

So, don't over do it. Stretch, take breaks, pick things up correctly. Or pay some kid from Craigslist to do it.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness

If the crabgrass is already mature you're not going to find any fertilizer off of store shelves that'll kill it. You'll need to spray the crabgrass with a post-emergent herbicide. I've read Drive XLR8 works well for mature crabgrass. The stuff isn't cheap tho https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058W42QS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Best way to fight crabgrass is with late fall - early spring pre-emergent (crabgrass preventer) fertilizer. Kill those dormant crabgrass seeds before they germinate.

Edit: Goes without saying but before you use any type of fertilizer or herbicide on your lawn make sure the stuff is safe for your type of grass.

Cyanity

Banned
I'm about to start working for the day, so I won't be able to answer quesions till this afternoon, unless I can get a few minutes free. Currently considering adding a section on how to open your own sprinkling system and do simple repairs, such as replacing a broken sprinkler head.

If you want to see anything new added to the guide, request away!

I don't have a yard myself, but I'm looking forward helping my mom clean up her yard...and plant tomatoes...and repainting her house...and repainting my grandma's garage...this spring shall be the spring of Project

We don't really do a lot else for the yard besides the garden, but I think she said they might be spreading new grass seed maybe. Watering's not a problem since we get a shitton of rain during this time

hobozero

Anyone have any tips for gravel driveways? I have half a duplex with a gravel drive behind, and I don't think the landlord will be putting down a load of gravel. Area has been getting pretty muddy, especially on the edges, and its tough to tell where the non gravelly "yard" begins. Should I rake to spread around what gravel there is, or is the stuff cheap enough that I should get a load dumped myself?

Zoe

I'm dreading dealing with our back yard. We didn't get sod, just loam, so weeds have started to move in. We don't want to lay down any grass to curb the weeds though cause we want to put in pavers and gravel before long.

I did read something recently about using plain vinegar to kill the weeds though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom