• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The IT'S SPRING thread of cleaning your dang yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I close on my first house in 2 weeks. I'm excited and nervous about taking care of the lawn. We have a decent sized back yard for living in the suburbs. I haven't had a chance to really inspect it because of the weather and time of day I've looked at it. I do know that there's drainage issues when there's heavy rain so that's something I'll have to figure out.

I haven't done any yard work in over 10 years, so it's going to be a big adjustment.

Holy crap what a great Idea OP thank you!
Bought my first home here in Alaska and while I did yard work on my parents place as a kid of course, its a different story when it's all on you!

Reality is setting in with the snow finally melting, I will definitely get a metal rack and tarp right away.

Any general advice for hauling? I have a bunch of twigs from the trees in the yard, should I be breaking those into small pieces and bagging with the leaves?

I don't live next to a wooded area so I can't just drag it all with the tarp unfortunately. Do those landscaping/hauling services charge reasonable prices?

Also for general branch and roof maintinence, I still need to go buy a big ladder but I need to trim some smaller branches that are starting to touch the roof. Is one of those battery powered sawsalls enough to get that done or what is a good clipper/trimmer to buy?

Is it a good idea to sweep/powerwash the roof? If I leave some of that old debree from last year on there that eventually decays into moss right and could hurt the roof?

Also, the previous owner installed a nice new wood fence that I don't want to mess up already, whats a good way to mow,trim right next to it without chipping up the wood?

Try the Binford 5000 iron rake.
Goes to google binford 5000 iron rake
Oh-I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Cyanity

Banned
Any general advice for hauling? I have a bunch of twigs from the trees in the yard, should I be breaking those into small pieces and bagging with the leaves?

I don't live next to a wooded area so I can't just drag it all with the tarp unfortunately. Do those landscaping/hauling services charge reasonable prices?

Unfortunately, I live on the complete opposite side of the country from you (New England), so I can't really speak with authority on local prices for hauling yard refuse. I do know that hardware stores sometimes sell these giant tarp cubes that you can load up with leaves and sticks/etc, then a company will come and take away the loaded tarp for you. Those tend to be pretty reasonably priced. Definitely hit up your local hardware store to see if they sell one of those.

Also for general branch and roof maintenance, I still need to go buy a big ladder but I need to trim some smaller branches that are starting to touch the roof. Is one of those battery powered sawsalls enough to get that done or what is a good clipper/trimmer to buy?

A telescoping pole saw is gonna be your boy. These make cutting tree branches a total breeze. You won't even need a ladder, unless the branches are pretty high up. See that string going down the length of the pole? If you pull it, it closes a pretty powerful snipper that can cut smaller branches without having to physically saw them. Definitely worth the price.
tip: cut any branches at the "Y" intersection where the branches...well, branch out. Either that, or cut them at the very base of the trunk where they start.

Is it a good idea to sweep/powerwash the roof? If I leave some of that old debris from last year on there that eventually decays into moss right and could hurt the roof?

If you're comfortable with standing on your roof, then definitely go ahead and clean that off. Make sure you have a spotter. I don't know anything about powerwashing roofs, so you'll have to ask someone else for advice on that. Just getting the debris off should be good in the meantime, though.

Also, the previous owner installed a nice new wood fence that I don't want to mess up already, whats a good way to mow,trim right next to it without chipping up the wood?

Trimming next to wood fences without ruining them is always a pain. You'll just have to be careful not to spin the string too hard.

Hope this was helpful!

Unfortunately, I live on the complete opposite side of the country from you (New England), so I can't really speak with authority on local prices for hauling yard refuse. I do know that hardware stores sometimes sell these giant tarp cubes that you can load up with leaves and sticks/etc, then a company will come and take away the loaded tarp for you. Those tend to be pretty reasonably priced. Definitely hit up your local hardware store to see if they sell one of those.

A telescoping pole saw is gonna be your boy. These make cutting tree branches a total breeze. You won't even need a ladder, unless the branches are pretty high up. See that string going down the length of the pole? If you pull it, it closes a pretty powerful snipper that can cut smaller branches without having to physically saw them. Definitely worth the price.
tip: cut any branches at the "Y" intersection where the branches...well, branch out. Either that, or cut them at the very base of the trunk where they start.

If you're comfortable with standing on your roof, then definitely go ahead and clean that off. Make sure you have a spotter. I don't know anything about powerwashing roofs, so you'll have to ask someone else for advice on that. Just getting the debris off should be good in the meantime, though.

Trimming next to wood fences without ruining them is always a pain. You'll just have to be careful not to spin the string too hard.

Hope this was helpful!
Thanks a lot for the response man that is all awesome advice! Taking a trip to lowes today!

Hey, I was just wondering if I take a photo of my front and back yard if anyone could give me some cheap land scaping tips? I've been out of work for a year and can't really spend any money but any thing would help. I love the city I bought this house in last year and would like my house to look better. Most people here are older and pay landscapers to redo their yards and do weekly care but theres no way I can do that =\

Flo_Evans

Already got 2 rounds of fertilizer down, hard raked the lawn, but I feel like its still not breathing well.

Going to rent an aerator. Seems like a huge hassle (I have a small city lot) maybe I can go in with the neighbors and do their lawns.

I think my main problem is water. There is a huge ass tree in the front yard and I think it just sucks all the moisture from the grass.

Any tip for growing grass under a huge ass (100ft++) pin oak tree?

Did my final walk through on the house I'm buying and finally got to really assess the lawn situation. It needs a lot of work, but I'm pretty excited to get out there and start improving it. The front lawn has a ton of dandelions and the bushes need cleaned up. The back yard was a mess. We've had a lot of rain this week and it just doesn't drain well. Standing water near the back property line. It looks like my yard dips in the middle so all the water runs there. I'm thinking maybe some shrubs or something in the back might suck up some water but I think it'll need to install a catch basin or regrade the lawn.

Looking forward to all the trips to lowes since I have basically nothing.

malfcn

Any good recommendations for budget edger? Need to clean around mailbox, prevent and fences. Maybe not budget, but nothing too expensive.

Cyanity

Banned
Any good recommendations for budget edger? Need to clean around mailbox, prevent and fences. Maybe not budget, but nothing too expensive.

If you're real gung-ho about saving money on an edger, a small 3-pronger can be used to scrape dirt away from wherever you plan on edging. As for an "actual" edger, your local Lowes or Home depot should have something at an agreeable price.

Cyanity

Banned
Great thread and perfect timing lol

Does anyone have suggestions for easily re-planting dead spots in lawns? Thanks

What you'll need:

Iron rake (if it's a large area)
Metal spring rake (if they're small spots, you can use this instead of the iron rake to spread the loam)
Gloves to protect your skin from the fertilizer

If they're small spot(s), then you should go to your local nursery and talk to someone who works there about which soil type and grass seed works best in your area. Pick up a bag of starter fertilizer while you're at it. Make sure you buy enough soil to fill in the affected area and then some.

You're going to want to rake the soil out and blend it into the surrounding grass, making sure to account for the fact that fresh loam will eventually settle and compress after it's been watered or walked on a few times. More is better, as long as you blend it neatly into the surrounding grass. After you do that, sprinkle whichever grass seed you bought over the newly-loamed area (don't go overboard), and then follow it up with a similar amount of starter fertilizer. You can use your hands to do this if the spots are smallish, but you might want to consider investing in a little push seeder if the dead areas are large.

After spreading the loam, seed and fertilizer, grab your spring rake and (lightly!) drag it over the surface of the area you just planted twice, in two different directions. If you're on a hill, rake out the spot with the gradient of the hill the first time, then rake it out horizontally the second time, to hinder water from running down the hill.

Now that you're got your seed planted, fertilized and mixed in with the soil, you need to water it! This is the most important part of planting new seed, and the biggest point of failure for homeowners manually planting seed. You NEED to keep your seed wet for at least three weeks. This might mean watering it multiple times a day for a few weeks straight. Water until the soil looks saturated, like if you add any more water it might start puddling (but before that happens). Just keep watch over your new seed and make sure to give it a drink if it starts looking dry. If you keep your soil moist, your seed will thrive.

Hope this helped.

Zoe

I'm dreading dealing with our back yard. We didn't get sod, just loam, so weeds have started to move in. We don't want to lay down any grass to curb the weeds though cause we want to put in pavers and gravel before long.

I did read something recently about using plain vinegar to kill the weeds though.

So I was about to use vegetation killer until I realized it would affect the trees too. I ended up using lawn weed killer, but it only killed like one kind of weed out of the hundreds we have back there.

I ended up using a stirrup hoe to just manually pull up the weeds. It didn't go as easy as the videos made it seem, but I think I've gotten the hang of it. Took me three hours to do a quarter of the yard before it got too hot though, and now the loam is quicksand from all the rain last night :\

VRa8Zz4l.jpg

Gonna be a multi-week job...

And as a bonus--found a stealth ant mound around that new tree!

ColdPizza

Banned
Okay, did the ice scraper, the mulch, and the preen. Used this as an opportunity to clearly define my bed and even move it back a bit so I have a little more lawn. So that's seeded.

Also edged my sidewalk and driveway. Feels pretty good. Just need a double shepherds hook for some hanging plants I want to fill a void in my bed.

kd5UJlV.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom