• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jimquisition: Fuck Skyrim

mad597

Banned
https://youtu.be/wZvSPjQe9Hk

He is talking more about how lazy Bethesda was when they left bugs that were fixed years ago by modders. Instead of fixing it they left it in.

The worst part of Skyrim was the horrible story, bad quests and horrible ending and crappy forgettable NPC's. Also things like civil war quests and other supposed major quests never ending with any type of decisiveness.

Bethesda's RPG's have suffered greatly since some of the main writers left after Oblivion.

Skyrim is the most disappointing game I've ever played. Glad Witcher 3 came along to redeem every thing that was wrong with Skyrim.

Ubername

Banned
The worst part of Skyrim was the horrible story, bad quests and horrible ending and crappy forgettable NPC's. Also things like civil war quests and other supposed major quests never ending with any type of decisiveness.

Bethesda's RPG's have suffered greatly since some of the main writers left after Oblivion.

Skyrim is the most disappointing game I've ever played. Glad Witcher 3 came along to redeem every thing that was wrong with Skyrim.

Some good points here. The npcs felt like dead pigs and the lack of face zoom made them even less able to act

BANGS

Banned
Skyrim is awesome. It is a shame how Bethesda is milking it with such little effort, but that doesn't really ruin my enjoyment of it. Running through it on PS4 now(3rd time purchasing). I really don't notice the improvments honestly, but I don't care. Love this game so much...

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Skyrim was fantastic. Sure it wasn't the most amazing looking game, but it was fantastic to play. Yes... Some things are dated, like the combat etc... But I'm willing to bet the next entry will be a right looker.

Rezae

It amazes me Skyrim has the legs it has. I put about 60 hours into the PC version and dabbled last year in the PS4 rerelease, but that's about it. Never finished the main story either. I do find the game better than Oblivion.. although I actually did finish Oblivion, but I'm one of those Morrowind fanatics and consider that to be the pinnacle of the series.

Hostile_18

Banned
To be fair fans did the majority of the chasing for these ports. If it's getting it on the system cost effectively or not at all I'm sure people would prefer the former.

Most studios have proven to be more excited moving forward than looking back.. and that's fine. Got to do what your passionate about as a studio and allocate resources accordingly.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wasted 80 hours on skyrim on switch.
love it .

cant wait to play more .
glitches are not gamebreaking .

ThisGuy

Loved skyrim. Lacked certain frustrations that I grew to love about morrowind. But still a great game.

twisted89

Yes it has issues but is otherwise a great game, really enjoying current play through on the switch. Anyone focusing solely on its issues can't see the woods for the trees.

TannerDemoz

Shouldn't be fuck Skyrim though, should it? It should be fuck Bethesda. It was a lot of fun. It was a good game. When did it get cool to shit on a game because it's not a 'true pure
RPG'. Glitches are a pain in the star, yes, but it's still a good game.

Humdinger

It's a different game on VR. Glad to pay $60 for it there. I wouldn't be happy if I were a Switch owner, though.

Pejo

I've run in to quite a few glitches in the PSVR version so far, and when I look them up on the wiki, they say "Fixed in Unofficial Skyrim patch 1.XX" or something like that.

So yea, I get why he's upset and a bit frustrated. It wouldn't even be so bad if they enabled modding on the VR version, but I think I know why they didn't... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yeah I applaud him for being able to do it consistently so far.

Agreed, I don't always agree with him and I've criticized Jim a few times in the past, but I only do it because I care and I only care because he routinely puts up interesting/entertaining stuff.

Vitacat

I love Skyrim, and playing it on Switch has been amazing. Handheld in bed, a dream come true. Yeah, no mods, and yeah, too bad they didn't make the extra effort to at least patch some known bugs. But for those who love it, and there are many, it's very worth owning yet again on Switch.

As for Jim Sterling, meh. I've only watched him once or twice, and he can think whatever he wants. It doesn't phase me.

MADGAME

My PS4 gamestate of Skyrim is bugged. The Dawnguard quest "A New Order" will not start. I’ve tried every suggestion possible to no avail. Only option is to revert to a previous save which is dozens of hours prior. So aggravating.

gioGAF

I enjoyed Skyrim and part of me would like Bethesda to fix game breaking bugs. However, I did not experience anything game breaking in my many hours with the game and I would rather they not patch out certain things (like the resto-loop). I like having those options within the game and mods can take care of other things.

I do think that if they aren't going to offer anything new, they should be competitive on the price. Zero improvements for Switch version should equal discounted re-release pricing.

I can't really hate Skyrim. As shallow as it may seem, it is infinitely better than where Fallout 4 ended up.

Grinchy

Banned
It really is kinda shocking to still get 6 year old bugs in a game being released once again for $60. I don't think any other developers would have such a lack of pride in their work if they were able to keep milking it so long after the fact.

Sometimes I have to search for ways to get around quest bugs, and the answers are from like 2012...and they still work on the brand new, full-priced re-release.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It really is kinda shocking to still get 6 year old bugs in a game being released once again for $60. I don't think any other developers would have such a lack of pride in their work if they were able to keep milking it so long after the fact.

Sometimes I have to search for ways to get around quest bugs, and the answers are from like 2012...and they still work on the brand new, full-priced re-release.
its an overreaction tho having the damn game on an handheld is a bliss.
damn even jim rebought the damn game

AND

he liked it

Skyrim actually made me quit Bethesda games, when my saves got corrupted twice. I read up online and it was basically "Bethesda game, deal with it" as if this is acceptable.

skyrim is not a game. its a framework for peoples indie projects.

That said, as far as I know only elder scroll games have community patches so far after release because there are so many bugs. Is there a legal reason why they cant even include the unnoficial patch in their game? Pride? Console parity?

Only other game with community patch for eternity I know of is from a studio which cannot fix its game because they got shut down. Vampire bloodlines.

Malio

I'm just surprised people are STILL talking and dealing with this game 5-6 years later just because it's coming to a new platform. Are you that desperate to play an old ass game just because it's on new hardware? I don't get the hype. Anyone who REALLY wanted to play this game, has already played it and probably on a better platform.

its an overreaction tho
Is it though?

I totally agree with mr. Sterling here. It's just insane that Bethesda can just keep selling updated versions of the game for years without every fixing any of the fundamental issues the game has.

If Skyrim was just an old game released 6 years ago, no one would expect them to still release patches and bug fixes. But since this is a game they've had no problem selling and profiting from for 6 years now, they should at the very least be supporting it as well by fixing known bugs. I say this as someone who bought the game thrice (PS3, PC, Switch).

Senua

Gold Member

People keep buying it at full price. Why would they change it.

Fbh

I'm just surprised people are STILL talking about this game 5-6 years later just because it's coming to a new platform. Are you that desperate to play an old ass game just because it's on new hardware? I don't get the hype. Anyone who REALLY wanted to play this game, has already played it and probably on a better platform.

It is one of the most popular games of the last decade.

Also "better platform" is subjective.
Yeah, PC has the best graphics and has mods. But Switch offers the best portable experience which might me more important to some.
And VR offers the most immersive experience

Not to mention that there are always new generations of players that might have missed the game when it first released. Maybe they didn't instantly jump on the current gen remake (it's not like we have had a lack of good releases this year)

orborborb

Skyrim is awful to mediocre in every way except for some good landscape designs, some good texture work and modeling of buildings/streets/objects/clothes, above average sound design, and a soundtrack that ranges from good to sublime.

frogger

I am just starting to play it on XOX, about 20 hours in, I have encountered 2 game breaking bugs, where I had to load older saves to progress. Shame on the developer.

Narasaki

In a world where Souls games exist, the idea that someone play Skyrim or any bethesda game is proof that humanity is lost

My problem with this position is that not many people understand the software development cycle. Whenever you introduce fixes, you need to perform extensive integration testing to ensure that a fix doesn't introduce a new bug or break the entire application.

Now normal software applications do not compare to the complexity of video games, so fixing pre-existing bugs has to be done in a way that minimizes testing and risk.

As many of you have stated, Skyrim is a 6 year old game. The game being ported to the consoles already has a cost associated with it. It must have been calculated that the projected amount of sales probably just barely justified the cost to port the game to these platforms. Pouring anymore assets into the project would introduce unnecessary financial risk.

- Software engineer right here

Ubername

Banned
My problem with this position is that not many people understand the software development cycle. Whenever you introduce fixes, you need to perform extensive integration testing to ensure that a fix doesn't introduce a new bug or break the entire application.

Now normal software applications do not compare to the complexity of video games, so fixing pre-existing bugs has to be done in a way that minimizes testing and risk.

As many of you have stated, Skyrim is a 6 year old game. The game being ported to the consoles already has a cost associated with it. It must have been calculated that the projected amount of sales probably just barely justified the cost to port the game to these platforms. Pouring anymore assets into the project would introduce unnecessary financial risk.

- Software engineer right here

That's all well and good but it's still a product that is supposed to perform a specific function that routinely fails and I don't think consumers give much of a hoot about how hard it is to fix bugs. They should be fixed, and anything else is excuse making

Kamina

Golden Boy
The Bugs are the only reason keeping me from buying this on Switch.
How hard is it to make the Unofficial Skyrim Patch official?

OuterLimits

It definitely still has bugs, but The Switch version is miles better than the PS3 version I made the mistake of buying years ago. Not sure I have played a more broken game than that. Constant crashes, frame rate literally dropping into the single digits and super long loading times.

I remember the Nirnroot glitch especially. The light from them would keep stacking. Eventually it looked like nuclear explosions going off around Skyrim.

I have also read that the PS4 Pro patch enhancements cause dips into the low 20s. Ridiculous.

Valdega

In a world where Souls games exist, the idea that someone play Skyrim or any bethesda game is proof that humanity is lost

I feel like you're missing the point entirely. Bethesda's RPGs are all about exploration. The Souls games are all about combat. Entirely different priorities. The Souls games have much better combat while Bethesda's games have a larger and more detailed world filled with a much wider variety of things to see and do.

Top Bottom