• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jimquisition: Game Not Included

nowhat

OK, first of all, I don't want to discuss the merits of Jim Sterling or lack thereof - I personally find him amusing, but I can completely understand why you'd feel otherwise. It's fine either way.

But this one really got me. I never got the point of "collectors editions" in the first place, unless you have way too much money to burn (and it that case, "hookers and blow" is also a viable alternative), but the stumped looks of people opening a steelbook cover in Youtube I always thought was due to not having a physical disc and instead receiving a download code. I never watch unboxing videos purposefully, just some clips that are referenced elsewhere or when Youtube decides this is what I want to see and I don't react fast enough to turn it off.

But what the actual fuck. Some of these uber-duper-ultra-deluxe editions don't actually include the game??? Perhaps I haven't been paying too close attention, but this is just beyond excusable. It's downright bizarre.

Mathrin

I don't think there's any perhaps about it given the age of the games in the video you've linked. This frankly insane practice has happened for years.

Like - the only viable reasons I can see for it are - Console exclusive special eds either sell out instantly or are discounted to £20 after 6-12 months, and the digital purchase thing but even then - thats a stretch as you might as well purchase the game at the same time as a super dooper expensive tat edition.

I've picked up a load of special editions as recently as Watch Dogs which had a special edition knocked down to £30 because it wasn't selling well on the console (I guess? Can't see any other reason for GAME of all companies to go that low). Making the editions so they're not unique to consoles is probably to mitigate against this issue.

It's just a shitter that they didn't seem to lower the prices of them to account for not having the product.

nowhat

I don't think there's any perhaps about it given the age of the games in the video you've linked. This frankly insane practice has happened for years.
Yeah, I admit my ignorance. I'm still absolutely flabbergasted about this.

gioGAF

It is a stupid practice now, it has been a stupid practice as long as it has been around. I think it is deceptive in nature and should not be called an XX edition.

radewagon

From a publisher standpoint it actually makes a lot of sense to release special editions without the games. There's a lot less risk involved with making one of these editions if you don't tie it down to a specific console base. Think about it, if a publisher releases the edition without the actual game, then they don't have to worry about which version of the game is going to sell through and which one is going to clog store shelves for the next year. In that sense, it's good for the stores too. By doing this, the developer also doesn't have to spend extra time designing and printing/manufacturing different versions of the box. Just one standard box and you're done.

That said, boy does it ever sound like a stupid idea. I think there's definitely a middle ground solution here somewhere. Maybe it could be as simple as designing the special edition boxes to have a little window box where a retailer could put the title (and any console specific DLC cards) that you were buying inside once you purchased it (or before you picked it up for preorders).

nowhat

From a publisher standpoint it actually makes a lot of sense to release special editions without the games. There's a lot less risk involved with making one of these editions if you don't tie it down to a specific console base. Think about it, if a publisher releases the edition without the actual game, then they don't have to worry about which version of the game is going to sell through and which one is going to clog store shelves for the next year. In that sense, it's good for the stores too. By doing this, the developer also doesn't have to spend extra time designing and printing/manufacturing different versions of the box. Just one standard box and you're done.
From a corporate POV it absolutely makes sense. And from a personal POV, I've never even thought of getting any of these. Although I did get the "NieR: Automata T-shirt!" edition, but that was pretty much the same price as a regular game. And as cool as the T-shirt was, it was a) way too big for me, and b) the Emil print was way too "heavy", it tore itself apart pretty quickly.

But from a consumer POV it absolutely sucks balls. I may be a somewhat conscious consumer nowadays, but when I was younger I most certainly was not. Consider a hypothetical teen, that has been working odd jobs to get some cash to burn. (S)he is a big fan of $GAME_SERIES, and there's $SEQUEL coming out. And now with vast amounts of disposable cash available (not really vast, and teens are not exactly the people who plan ahead), the collector's edition it is.

...and there's no game. This is a shitty practice. At the very least there should be a HUGE text on the box (preferably with blinking letters on the web - the <blink> tag may be deprecated, but it can be simulated via other means) saying that this edition does NOT include the game.

Petrae

The video game industry revolves around one huge truth: Fools and their money are quickly parted.

No matter how far the biz tests its limits with consumers, consumers still throw mountains of money at the biz. Whether it’s because video game consumers have been well-conditioned, because gaming consumers seem to have a fuckton of disposable income, or something else... the fact remains that limits will continue to be expanded.

And I totally get it. I mean, if someone was willing to pay me $200 for a box of game-related crap— and I didn’t even have to include the game inside— I’d happily take it.

As with many other shitty business practices that the video game industry has managed to somehow normalize, this is as much as the consumers who enable such things by freely spending tons of cash on them as it is on the publishers for continually pushing its limits.

Bryank75

Banned
Yikes, I wasn't even aware that this was done. This is some comically corporate driven nonsense... It's like they're a parody of themselves at this point.

"This is Ground Control to Major Tom,
You've really made the grade,
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear"

MC Safety

Game companies should differentiate between editions of a game (meaning packages that include a game) and prize- or merchandise boxes that includes items related to a game, but not the game itself.

It would be nice if game companies voluntarily opted to label the boxes for each different edition of a game with the contents included, and if these efforts were reinforced by retailers. This would be a lot more consumer friendly than the sales chart approach.

I remember first time I saw this, I think it was the Wolfenstein he talked about, I was just amazed and couldn't help but laugh. So dumb, best part is how overpriced they are considering the game isn't included.

I usually avoid Limited Editions myself, I think I've got around 4 or 5, not including ones that were free upgrades.
My first being this beauty for just 10$ extra.
ps2collector-hackvol.1rebirth-special-edition.jpg

Last edited:

camelCase

Hookers and blow made me laugh. It's a way to skim off 1% funds from the rich like expensive golfclubs, I can't believe many middle class or just straight up average gamers find these SKUs appealing. But honestly I'm the kind of gal when I see someone rocking the 12" scale statue of the bayonetta lady I laugh, so take my opinion with the grain of salt.

nowhat

It's a way to skim off 1% funds from the rich like expensive golfclubs, I can't believe many middle class or just straight up average gamers find these SKUs appealing.
First of all, once again, if the practice of selling these ludicrously priced collector's items (without the game) is very common, then I'm simply ignorant, apologies for that.

But this is not the 1% we're talking about, they can afford it. While the prices are absolutely outrageous for what essentially is a couple of pieces of plastic (and cardboard, if you're lucky), they are still within the reach of the average consumer if (s)he is so inclined. But buying all that superfluous junk, and not receiving the actual game, I think the consumer is being very much misled. I don't pretend to know the solution for this, but something needs to be done.

Is this really an issue though? Are people actually buying these boxes of tat and expecting games, when they're not included? I'd expect customers who're willing to spend 150+ dollars on a single game to do their research...
Obviously I understand (and agree with) the assertion that these limited editions without games are way overpriced, and would have included the game as well in the past, but... you don't have to buy it. Yeah, video game companies are scummy and charge as much as they can for as little content/wares as possible. What else is new?

I actually like owning and displaying some tat myself, but am not really a fan of collector's editions. I haven't even played the game yet, so who knows if I'm gonna like it enough to shell out even more money on some statue or toy, and waste shelf space on it? I'd much prefer publishers sell collectibles seperately after the game has released. I can't wait for the Splatoon figma to release.

JohannCK

I haven't seen this being done here in Japan (the closest I've seen is games with limited editions that in the game box have a card with a download code, and that isn't common at all) but it sounds like it makes perfect sense.

Plenty of people want the stuff in the limited editions and store-exclusive pre-order bonuses, while downloads let people play the game at midnight on its release date. I've seen reports online (not that many, granted) of people buying both the physical limited editions AND the downloads that would let them start playing a few hours earlier.

I imagine that this would be great for them; People who want the limited edition stuff but would prefer a download of the game instead of the disc.

Last edited:

120v

as stated i always assumed the practice was to not tie down these things to one platform.

and i dunno, if you're paying $500 for a Geralt statue or whatever another $60 for the game is probably immaterial. otherwise you probably need to get your priorities straight

not that the practice *isn't* silly in theory, but ultimately it makes sense

ItemCollector

Neo Member
Just so you know, CEs and LEd used to be really cool and would come with goodies like an OST CD or keychain or figurine, and the steelbooks cases are always very nice.

ar0s

A CD and a steelbook, along with stickers, postcards etc. are the worst 'limited edition' things you can get. If it costs more, I expect a collectible worth having to even consider it.

Did the Sonic Mania CE contain the game? IIRC it did not?

llien

TIL greed has no limits.
shockednotthatshocked.gif

OK, first of all, I don't want to discuss the merits of Jim Sterling or lack thereof - I personally find him amusing, but I can completely understand why you'd feel otherwise. It's fine either way.
He's a tad hard for no native English speakers (or maybe I suck), so I didn't even try watching him till the end for that very reason.

But this one really got me. I never got the point of "collectors editions" in the first place, unless you have way too much money to burn (and it that case, "hookers and blow" is also a viable alternative)
I don't buy it myself, but think of it as an act of appreciation. It is also practical, in a way, as you give more money to the developers of the game you liked so much. Some are also into having collection of special edition boxes for historic reasons.

nowhat

He's a tad hard for no native English speakers (or maybe I suck), so I didn't even try watching him till the end for that very reason.
I'm not a native speaker either, but I find him pretty easy to follow. Perhaps I'm more used to British English. Anyway, depending on your client (I think most Youtube clients support this?) there's that "CC" option (left of the quality select on the web) - if there's no official closed captioning, then it is autogenerated by Google. It is pretty often quite accurate, but can also be hilariously incorrect.

I don't buy it myself, but think of it as an act of appreciation. It is also practical, in a way, as you give more money to the developers of the game you liked so much. Some are also into having collection of special edition boxes for historic reasons.
I get what you're going for, in theory. Wouldn't do it myself, but if you are so inclined, knock yourself out. Just that if you do, you bloody well better get the game as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom