• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kirby 20th Anniversary Appreciation Thread of Hungry Happy Platforming

Yoshi's Island, just because Kirby has gotten quite a bit of love lately. I could wait longer happily for another Kirby title.

Kirby had a platformer announced 2 E3s in a row and one major spin-off for DS.

I think Yoshi deserves a little attention, considering Kirby is getting a collection disc.

Agreed, last YI game was 6 years ago.

I don't want a new Yoshi's Island from anyone but EAD. Every other attempt at a sequel or spinoff has sucked hard.

While it wasn't as polished as it could have been, I loved YI 2, it was a solid platformer and the special stages were hardcore difficult.

I wonder if we'll see a resurrection of Miyamoto's cancelled Tilt & Tumble Gamecube game on the Wii U--that game was going to be a GC/GBA connectivity game that would come with a special gyro cart for the GBA slot; you'd tilt the GBA to control the 3D action on the TV screen, and every now and again you'd drop into the GBA screen for a little 2D minigame. It seems like it'd be a natural fit for the Wii U tablet.

That would be awesome and makes perfect sense.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What do you love most about Kirby?

Someone else in this thread said something about Kirby being "comfort food" and I agree. The games are pretty easy to tune out to, and they're usually very charming with attractive graphics and catchy music.

Which game in the series is your favorite, your least favorite or which one do you think is underrated?

Favorite has to be Super Star - I like the variety between the different games (especially the Metroidvania-ish Great Cave Offensive), the challenge level, and the smooth controls.

Least favorite is Mass Attack - the control scheme and concept just didn't work for me (it seemed too imprecise). Plus I didn't like the music and felt the game dragged, I actually stopped playing since I wasn't having fun. Game is still loaded with charm, even more so than many other Kirby games.

Most underrated would be Epic Yarn - the "can't die" thing really got on the nerves of a lot of people, but if you attempt to 100% it, it can be pretty challenging (one of the ice levels, where you're riding the truck, being way too hard for the game). The art style and somber, almost melancholic music was an interesting change of pace for the series too.

Who is your favorite character or villian?

Probably Lololo and Lalala, since I was a huge fan of the Lolo series and love how they cameo in the Kirby games!

Which title would you like most to see ported to the Eshop/VC that we haven't gotten yet?

Is Kirby 64 on VC yet? I'd say that since I never played it.

What do you hope to see on the the Anniversary compilation that would make it a huge improvement over the mediocrity of the Mario All Stars disc?

I want a whole bunch of the games in the compilation... including GB, GBA, console, and spinoffs like the pinball game.

Content in the collection is shaping up to be pretty good. Not amazing but a big step up from Mario All Stars 25th edition, that's for sure. Here's hoping Kirby's Dreamland 2 will have Super Gameboy borders. New mini games are a nice addition and the game will feature a visual calendar showing Kirby's history as a character. Anyways:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/kirbys_20th_anniversary_special_collection_doesnt_suck

Kirby's 20th Anniversary Special Collection Doesn't Suck

Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 | 13:45 BST by Thomas Whitehead

A little under two months ago we brought you the happy news that Nintendo is planning a 20th Anniversary Kirby compilation for Wii, ensuring that fans of the pink one will have a chance to celebrate the landmark with a collection of classic games and other goodies. Courtesy of Andriasang we now know what will be included in the Japanese release, which we hope will be the same when the compilation reaches other territories.

Kirby's 20th Anniversary Special Collection in Japan will include six games from the franchise, ranging from Game Boy to Nintendo 64: Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Adventure, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. There'll be new content in the form of 'More Challenge Stage', where you chase scores in specific stages with a particular ability: these include 'Sword Challenge' and 'Fighter Death Match'. The disc will also have a Kirby calendar that shows the history not just of the game series, but Kirby's appearances in cartoons and so on. In terms of goodies that aren't on the game disc, there'll be the now-standard booklet with artwork and a soundtrack.

It sounds like some effort is being put into this collection beyond simply placing the original games on a disc and sending it out into the world. Assuming that these details stay true in a worldwide release, are you interested in picking this up?

Scoops

Banned
Really my sleeper series of this generation. I had never played a mainline Kirby game before and I wasn't really expecting Kirby Wii to ever come out but both Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland were really fantastic for totally different reasons. I'll definitely pick up the anniversary collection when it's out, it'll be the first time for me for all of those games. I really want to see what the packaging will be like!

CorvoSol

[Insert No Metroid Anniversary Joke]

It occurred to me just now that Kirby is essentially a cuter, snugglier, and infinitely more destructive version of the Atomos summon from FF.

PBalfredo

The multitude of powers Kirby can absorb from enemies, especially in games where each power has a lot of different uses, like in Kirby Super Star. I also love how Kirby casually parodies other games with his powers (Link's hat turned sleeping cap for the Sword ability) or stages, such as the Gradius style shmup level in Milky Way Wishes

Which game in the series is your favorite, your least favorite or which one do you think is underrated?

Best: Kirby Super Star is the best by far. There was a time after Super Star, like the GBA and DS games, where powers would only have one or two attacks regardless of the directional input, so they're the worst. I've been loving Return to Dreamland, because it's a good return to form for powers with multiple uses.

Most underrated: Kirby Pinball! I loooooved that game. It was perfectly suited to quick rounds on my Game Boy and lots of fun. I'm no good with real-life pinball, but I love fantasy pinball video games that allows all sorts of stuff impossible to do in real life. No surprise I also love Metroid Prime Pinball for the DS. So good.

Kirby Canvas Curse is one of the best touchpad focused DS games for the system.

Who is your favorite charcater or villian?

jFCpJl.gif

Kracko was always a cool reoccurring boss. Pretty threatening looking guy for such a cutesy world
aside from, you know, those nightmare inducing final bosses

What copy ability is your favorite?

Yo-yo! Sweet EarthBound ref and pretty darn powerful too! Lot's of invisibility frames on the v+^Y attack.

Zekes!

What I love about the series itself is that it's essentially the gaming equivalent of comfort food; I pretty much know that when I turn on a Kirby game that I can chill out, relax, and have a lot of fun.

Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn might be my favourites in the series. Kirby's Adventure is my favourite traditional Kirby game. Surprisingly, I don't like Super Star as much as other people, even though I've spent a lot of time playing both the original and the remake.

Who is your favorite charcater or villian?

Waddle Dee!

What copy ability is your favorite?

In general, it's the sword, as boring as it is, along with the tire. There was a combo power-up in Kirby 64 that I absolutely loved, but I forget what it was... I also wish Kirby's animal friends would make a come back.

Top Bottom