• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kirby 20th Anniversary Appreciation Thread of Hungry Happy Platforming

I played the original games on GB and NES, but Super Star is the definitive Kirby game for me. Some of the one-off titles like Canvas Curse or Epic Yarn are pretty good, too. Actually, just about all Kirby games are pretty good. It's just a nice, low-key sort of franchise that's easy to like. Even the games I didn't particularly enjoy, like Amazing Mirror or Mass Attack, are just sort of inoffensive. Kirby makes me feel mellow, man.

Seconded. Also, I love the Butter Building arrangement in Smash Bros Brawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AThGueayrJg

The BEST version of Butter Building. Dat piano~

And Kirby is the PERFECT feel good (pun not intended) franchise.

Kazerei

Banned
Those pics were just begging to be avatarized.

n0Rfx.jpg
q1XLh.jpg
1NV7O.jpg

What do you love most about Kirby?
The art style, the music, the game play, the characters, the hats. I think the series is just a great overall package, pure joy.

Which game in the series is your favorite, your least favorite or which one do you think is underrated?
Kirby Superstar is my favorite. I sunk so much time into that game, it's ridiculous. (Great Cave Offensive for life!) I've never played a Kirby game I didn't like, but Kirby 64 is probably my least favorite. One of the most underrated is Canvas Curse, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, it's really awesome.

Who is your favorite character or villain?
Too many to name them all. Kirby, of course, is amazing. Meta Knight is a great foil. (Also, Lololo & Lalala? Awesome.) But my favorite aspect of the Kirby games is probably the partners/helper/friend characters. I love all the animals in the Dreamland sub series, and playing as the partners in games like Superstar was so much fun, I loved controlling all the different former villains. (I was OBSESSED with T.A.C., with Chilly in a close second.)

Which title would you like most to see ported to the eShop/VC that we haven't gotten yet? I'd love to see Kirby's Toy Box and Kirby Star Stacker (the SNES version) get US releases. Then we'd finally have every Kirby game in North America.

What do you hope to see on the the Anniversary compilation that would make it a huge improvement over the mediocrity of the Mario All Stars disc?
Cram in as many games as possible, spin-offs included. (The aforementioned Toy Box and Star Stacker would be a great start.) An art gallery, a comprehensive music listener, new mini-games, multiple display options, etc. A cool limited edition with some swag would be great too.

OP has been updated to included a section for selected U.S. and Japanese commercials for Dreamlands 1 and 2, Kirby's Adventure (Japanese ad for this is a MUST WATCH, it's like Good Feel time traveled back to 1993/'94 and made a demo reel for Epic Yarn!), Super Star and Super Star Ultra DS, enjoy!

My favourite would have to be the latest one, Return to Dreamland. It took everything I liked about Super Star and cranked it up a notch. I have no idea why it took them eleven friggin' years to make, but whatever. I also have a lot of respect for Canvas Curse; it's the first game that really sold the unique features of the DS, and it really changed my preconceptions of how a platformer should behave.

You have excellent taste. I know it's not always in vogue to mention the most recent title of any series as "the best," but Return to Dreamland deserves the respect.

And Canvas Curse is such a unique, innovative gameplay experience.

schlew

kirby_thumbs.jpg

We did a drawing a day for Kirby's 20th over on 4 color rebellion. It was a blast. Our friends like Gabe Swarr, Mare Odomo, Rey Ortega, Kyatt Suai, Michelle Coffee, Nate Carle and even myself all did drawings of our favorite pink puffball. I think they turned out great.

Check it out here and let us know what you think.

20 Days of Kirby @ 4 color rebellion

This was a really fun way to celebrate Kirby, and it was cool to see what Kirby was to several artists (you can even see my submissions as Day 6 and the Bonus).

His versatility. It's great when he returns to his platforming roots, but it's how experimental HAL and others have been with the franchise that has allowed it to survive for so long.

Which game in the series is your favorite, your least favorite or which one do you think is underrated?

I will always have a special place in my heart for Epic Yarn. Not a traditional title, but my three-year-old daughter and I beat it together, so it really stands out to me as my favourite. Not too underrated, but I think Mass Attack came out really late in the DS lifecycle, so it's probably been overlooked by a lot of people. It's really great and deserving of anyone's time.

Who is your favorite charcater or villian?

It's lame, but Kirby. Just love seeing the different looks he has with each powerup. My favourite would have to be his goateed look in Brawl after ingesting Solid Snake.

Which title would you like most to see ported to the Eshop/VC that we haven't gotten yet? (me: Kirby's Dreamland 2)

I'd have to agree with you, as it's the only Kirby title (aside from Squeak Squad) that I haven't been able to play yet.

What do you hope to see on the the Anniversary compilation that would make it a huge improvement over the mediocrity of the Mario All Stars disc?

More details on his creation. What did the character look like that Kirby was originally standing in for? How does Sakurai feel about his angrier portrayal in North America? Is there anything he'd refuse to eat? I want a behind the scenes booklet or video that actually provides new information.

This was a really fun way to celebrate Kirby, and it was cool to see what Kirby was to several artists (you can even see my submissions as Day 6 and the Bonus).

Very nice art, love your take on the HAL logo!

More details on his creation. What did the character look like that Kirby was originally standing in for? How does Sakurai feel about his angrier portrayal in North America?

These two the most.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Oh shit, 20th anniversary time?

SUPERSTAR RUNTHROUGH IS A GO

Superstar for sure, played the hell out of it with and without friends as a kid. It was a massive game to me at the time and an all around blast to play.

Who is your favorite character or villian?
This little wins favorite villain. Awesome fight with good music.
6mkSG.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
How old is Iwata in that image? It's like he never aged at all.

Iwata's 33, Shiggy's 40, Sakurai's 22.

You have excellent taste. I know it's not always in vogue to mention the most recent title of any series as "the best," but Return to Dreamland deserves the respect.

And Canvas Curse is such a unique, innovative gameplay experience.

Thanks! It's probably easy for me to pick Return to Dreamland due to the fact that I don't have decades of nostalgia weighing me down--I've only started playing the Kirby games over the last few years (with the exception of the very first game which I played way back when).

Apenheul

Floating, it's like you can pick your own challenges and skip the ones that you think are too easy or too hard.

Favorite game in the series. My least favorite is probably Kirby 64, and the most underrated is Amazing Mirror.

Who is your favorite charcater or villian?

Metaknight

Which title would you like most to see ported to the Eshop/VC that we haven't gotten yet? (me: Kirby's Dreamland 2)

Kirby's Pinball Land (I just noticed it's been rated for a release on the VC)

Something like the Sonic Mega Collection, or at least all of the 8-bit and 16-bit Kirby games including spinoffs.

250px-Kirbys_return_to_dreamland_boxart.jpg

Play this game :)

My mind has been slightly blown. I was never aware that the "First you draw a circle, then you dot the eyes..." tune from Kirby's Adventure was directly from the Japanese advert for the previous game, Kirby's Dreamland.

Kirby's Adventure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRDbw9R9dtg

Japanese ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAGDHpNiyZU

A different version was used for the Japanese ending for the anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ap15y34TDo&feature=related

Ynuyj.jpg

Also, the anime needs more love. It's actually pretty hilarious with some subtle adult humor. By that, I mean it parodies a lot of things from Harry Potter to Mothra. I mean, Kirby simply couldn't win again Mothra.

PokéKong

Has anyone here ever been lucky enough to play Kirby Air Ride over LAN? Or even more so, perform some router voodoo to play it online?

PokéKong;38252957 said:
Has anyone here ever been lucky enough to play Kirby Air Ride over LAN? Or even more so, perform some router voodoo to play it online?

I dunno about Air Ride (still haven't played it) but a friend of mind used to play MK Double Dash online using Warp Pipe back in the day.

Lyude77

What do you love most about Kirby? I love his ability to eat everything and his cuteness. As far as the games go, I love the simplicity of them and the overpoweredness of Kirby. Very few games let you be crazy overpowered.

Which game in the series is your favorite, your least favorite or which one do you think is underrated? Return to Dreamland with Super Star Ultra as a close second, least favorite is probably Amazing Mirror (I never played Squeak Squad), and I guess Return to Dreamland is most underrated - not sure on that one.

Who is your favorite character or villian? Favorite character - Kirby, favorite villian - Dedede. I'm a sucker for laughably incompetent villians.

Which title would you like most to see ported to the Eshop/VC that we haven't gotten yet? (me: Kirby's Dreamland 2) I guess Kirby's Dreamland 2.

What do you hope to see on the the Anniversary compilation that would make it a huge improvement over the mediocrity of the Mario All Stars disc? Unsure. Hopefully at least get Super Star and Adventure. Maybe a compilation of all the Kirby minigames too? I really don't know anything reasonable.
Hm...I think you should add: What copy ability is your favorite? to the survey. Answers to that question are interesting too, I never would have picked the Bird or Jet.

My favorite is Leaf, with Ninja as a close second. My answer doesn't count Kirby 64 because I can't remember them all. XD

Yes it is.

ZlUkP.png
Is it alright if I use this as my avatar? Thanks.

18-Volt

His color. Not red, not green, not yellow or blue. Just pink.

Underrated --> Kirby Tilt n Tumble. I don't understand why people hated this game. Best game to use motion controls on a handheld ever.
Hated --> Kirby Squeak Squad. Such a soulless game.

Who is your favorite character or villian?
I don't remember its name exactly, but that guy looks like an apple who turns into biting monster, I love that thing. After Kirby himself, though.

Tilt n Tumble, of course. With 3DS motion controls.

I actually want HD remasters of all SNES games in one Wii U disc. I want them to look like Warioland Shake it but in HD. Also video interviews with Sakurai and other designers would be nice.

So I have:

Dreamland
Adventure
Dreamland 2
Super Star
The Amazing Mirror
Canvas Curse
Squeak Squad

I'd like to play all the mainline games one day, but for the moment am I missing anything essential?

Favorite Copy Ability: For utility, Fighter [KSS] was amazing. Had range, a throw, a downward kick, and even a shoryuken.

For style, probably Ninja. Kunai toss and slash, dive kick, and Izuna drop.
So I have:

Dreamland
Adventure
Dreamland 2
Super Star
The Amazing Mirror
Canvas Curse
Squeak Squad

I'd like to play all the mainline games one day, but for the moment am I missing anything essential?
It isn't essential, but Kirby 64 had a really neat mechanic where you could combine two abilities. The game itself was pretty lackluster, if not worse than its predecessors, however.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 is something you want to play though. It's better than a lot of the handheld games, that's for sure. And the art is luscious.

Kirby 64 is way too slow, but other than that, I like it. The power mixing mechanic made for a lot of really weird powers. Like ice + stone = curling stone. :p

EDIT: I like this remix of the final boss theme from that game.

I really need to play through Kirby 64. IIRC I read in the 'Videogame Facts That Will Blow Your Mind' thread someone said one of the later stages is supposed to be/represent earth in the future after a nuclear apocalypse? I know that sounds nuts but that's someone said in there. :/

^^^^

Found it! Learn all about the Kirbocalypse!

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=31150565

In Kirby 64, there is an ice level, a planet called Shiver Star. Shiver star is Earth in nuclear winter after a nuclear holocaust wipes out humanity. Those of you that have the game, notice:

- You can see silhouettes of the continents on the planet, along with the lone moon orbiting it
- There's a stray 'No Trespassing' sign in the level selection screen
- One of the levels in this world is an enormous shopping mall, and right after that level you go behind the mall into a huge factory, complete with genetic experimentation on bad guys in the background
- The boss in this world is a giant robot, fought with skyscrapers and everything in the background

So apparently humans did lots of consuming and corporations got lots of power and built huge war machines and ended life on Earth and sent it into an ice age. And then Kirby came and got some crystals and so on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqpeQMw3V4

Yes! It was me, and I stand by it. When you see the Moon and the shapes of the continents and the snow everywhere it just makes sense that it's a frozen Earth. Plus the boss is a robot that shoots nukes and such, and there's a big ol' shopping mall and a giant evil factory stage. Therefore, over-consumption and nuclear winter.

Yes! It was me, and I stand by it. When you see the Moon and the shapes of the continents and the snow everywhere it just makes sense that it's a frozen Earth. Plus the boss is a robot that shoots nukes and such, and there's a big ol' shopping mall and a giant evil factory stage. Therefore, over-consumption and nuclear winter.

Haha, nice. Yeah, I agree, it definitely looks like that whole area is a "nuclear winter" reference.

Spoiler alert: I have a new avatar.

Ok Kirby fans, E3 had got me thinking. Good Feel did a great job with Epic Yarn IMHO but since last spring it's been rumored they may be working on a new Yoshi's Island game. Which would you prefer being announced at E3 if you had to choose? New Kirby platformer with hand drawn/organic visuals (not necessarily from Good Feel) or a Yoshi's Island sequel?

Ok Kirby fans, E3 had got me thinking. Good Feel did a great job with Epic Yarn IMHO but since last spring it's been rumored they may be working on a new Yoshi's Island game. Which would you prefer being announced at E3 if you had to choose? New Kirby platformer with hand drawn/organic visuals (not necessarily from Good Feel) or a Yoshi's Island sequel?

Kirby had a platformer announced 2 E3s in a row and one major spin-off for DS.

I think Yoshi deserves a little attention, considering Kirby is getting a collection disc.

Ultimadrago

Yoshi's Island, just because Kirby has gotten quite a bit of love lately. I could wait longer happily for another Kirby title.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't want a new Yoshi's Island from anyone but EAD. Every other attempt at a sequel or spinoff has sucked hard.

I wonder if we'll see a resurrection of Miyamoto's cancelled Tilt & Tumble Gamecube game on the Wii U--that game was going to be a GC/GBA connectivity game that would come with a special gyro cart for the GBA slot; you'd tilt the GBA to control the 3D action on the TV screen, and every now and again you'd drop into the GBA screen for a little 2D minigame. It seems like it'd be a natural fit for the Wii U tablet.

Top Bottom