• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

heringer

Just got the original Tits FC and I'm going to play it for the first time. Hope I enjoy it since I was between this, Xenogears and Suikoden 2 as my next RPG. I considered getting the PSP version but decided to give PC version a shot.

My initial impressions is that I love playing a JRPG only with the mouse. Surprisingly confortable and enjoyable! I wish I could play more JRPG's this way.

Technically, the game is a bit of a mess. Random crashes, broken FMV, few options...

Technically, the game is a bit of a mess. Random crashes, broken FMV, few options...

That's not normal. The games are pretty solid technically at this point though I do vaguely recall some FMV issues for some people.

Few options makes sense- you can't put lipstick on a pig. The game wasn't cutting edge when it released in 2004 (and XSeed did a tremendous job adding assets from the PS3 version of the game into the PC port to make it even nicer) but no one playing the game in 2017 shoiuld need to turn down any options anway and what you are playing already has the game as maxed as it could go.

Sorry to hear about your technical problems. There might be a way to troubleshoot based on threads/suggestions from the Steam forums, otherwise it's fine if you turn off the FMVs at least for now.

I'm playing through Cold Steel for the first time right now, just got up to Chapter 5. And there's not much I feel I can add to the discussion here or in the OT, but I'll just say that
Heimdallr's sewers
are a sad excuse for a dungeon. That crane pan into the door to the
Catacombs
in Chapter 4 was quite misleading—all I got was a somewhat easy boss compared to what ended Chapter 3. At least the music's great. So far the game's fairly on par with FC but in lots of different ways, and I like how Falcom's using Rean to somewhat subvert a popular archetype. Chapter 3 really needed fast travel, unfortunately.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the original Tits FC and I'm going to play it for the first time. Hope I enjoy it since I was between this, Xenogears and Suikoden 2 as my next RPG. I considered getting the PSP version but decided to give PC version a shot.

My initial impressions is that I love playing a JRPG only with the mouse. Surprisingly confortable and enjoyable! I wish I could play more JRPG's this way.

The crashes are not normal. Do you have more information on the nature of crashes?
Maybe people could help. Or another avenue if you're comfortable with troubleshooting I always found steam community forums for their respective games helpful since they often have 1 or 2 people having similar problems and often with solutions.
Hope you enjoy it and yes hope also the PC problems can get resolved. Cause right now for the sky saga going PC is probable the recommended route if possible.

On a side note: How would people feel about some kind of in universe tracking integration for NPC stories giving you a little nudge when you should check up on people again/full character notes for everyone with a story? I'm honestly a bit torn on one site I think giving players too much knowledge can make the whole thing into a checklist ordeal on the other hand I would love some tools to keep track of stuff it's really not easy to keep in mind on who you can talk to.

Thoraxes

Noticed, and that's really cool. Makes me think that the industry should stop its obsession with everything being fully voiced, especially in RPGs. Maybe then we can get meatier stories and dialogue.
Talk to all the NPCs. They all have stories or little life events that will change over the course of the games. Yes, even the shop owners when you can.

heringer

That's not normal. The games are pretty solid technically at this point though I do vaguely recall some FMV issues for some people.

Few options makes sense- you can't put lipstick on a pig. The game wasn't cutting edge when it released in 2004 (and XSeed did a tremendous job adding assets from the PS3 version of the game into the PC port to make it even nicer) but no one playing the game in 2017 shoiuld need to turn down any options anway and what you are playing already has the game as maxed as it could go.

Sorry to hear about your technical problems. There might be a way to troubleshoot based on threads/suggestions from the Steam forums, otherwise it's fine if you turn off the FMVs at least for now.

The crashes are not normal. Do you have more information on the nature of crashes?
Maybe people could help. Or another avenue if you're comfortable with troubleshooting I always found steam community forums for their respective games helpful since they often have 1 or 2 people having similar problems and often with solutions.
Hope you enjoy it and yes hope also the PC problems can get resolved. Cause right now for the sky saga going PC is probable the recommended route if possible.

On a side note: How would people feel about some kind of in universe tracking integration for NPC stories giving you a little nudge when you should check up on people again/full character notes for everyone with a story? I'm honestly a bit torn on one site I think giving players too much knowledge can make the whole thing into a checklist ordeal on the other hand I would love some tools to keep track of stuff it's really not easy to keep in mind on who you can talk to.

Seems I spoke too soon. Game is fine, just crashed at the beginning for some reason, but so far hasn't happened again.

I think energy source is pretty low on the list of reasons why giant humanoid robots are a dumb idea. lol

Biggest would just be weight. There's no way they'd be as mobile as they are in our animes in terms of flexibility or speed.

Giant military mecha are always worth it for Cool Factor alone!

How so? I haven't seen anything about any subversion so far and I'm 30 hours into CS2...

No one say nuffin'; let it happen naturally.

Seems I spoke too soon. Game is fine, just crashed at the beginning for some reason, but so far hasn't happened again.

Excellent! This is a great long winter night game (treat it like a CRPG and love the conversation and wheels-within-wheels plot design).

heringer

Giant military mecha are always worth it for Cool Factor alone!

No one say nuffin'; let it happen naturally.

Excellent! This is a great long winter night game (treat it like a CRPG and love the conversation and wheels-within-wheels plot design).

Thanks! I'm quite enjoying the writting so far. Both characters are very likeable, especially Estelle.

I have a question though, does this game has emotional/epic moments or does it mantain the light tone throughout?

Thanks! I'm quite enjoying the writting so far. Both characters are very likeable, especially Estelle.

I have a question though, does this game has emotional/epic moments or does it mantain the light tone throughout?
its mostly a lighter tone, however there are very epic moments. Trails tends to be a game that prefers its feels on the happier end of the spectrum, leaving darker moments to backstories

However FC is very much an adventuring around the country learning about the world game, it doesnt get into anything truly epic until the very end. However it does build towards it the whole time. The ending and lead in to the second game are incredible

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

It has those moments but they come slow. For FC they're mostly right at the end. FC as a game is like all the introductory games to new places that I've played(Well FC, Zero and CSI) in the series about you as the player traveling around and getting to learn the culture and land and people around. So FC is really just going to be you living the bracer life for most of it and having a lot of one of adventures of varying significance.

Only right at the end you get a taste on stuff that is related to the overarching narrative that connects all these games.

I always say this but allow me to repeat myself in many ways Trails is the game equivalent to many long running fantasy epics. It falls into many of the same "traps"(slow pacing for example) but also has the strengths of delivering payoffs you don't usually find in gaming.

Also I think what is probably a bit hard for a first time trails player and it was for me is when the world feeds you with it's own made up words of technology, other countries etc.
But pay attention to the best of your abilities. All that stuff is not really just throwaway but actually stuff that gets picked up on later. So if that's a thing you enjoy you can actually get a taste of the world beyond Liberl in FC/SC alone.

I just looked at the localisation period from Japan and cold steel and I completely forgot how long it's going to be if it follows the usual routine. Just want to know who the party members are this time around.

Nyoro SF

Definitely both emotional and epic moments. Difference between this game and other RPGs is that it actually takes time to build up to those moments so the hit is bigger.

So uh, concerning FC's ending...

Was I being played for the Cleaner Crew by Weissman the whole time? Be consistently just far enough behind Richards for him to fulfill his ambitions that coincide with Ouroboros, but close enough to get him and anything pointing to Ouroboros out of the picture and return things in Liberl to "Normal" before anyone realizes what's really going on - Right? That's the impression I get thinking on how exactly Weissman's subtle assistance of the party throughout FC played out.

PK Gaming

Goddamnit Tita you ruined everything

Agate's speech to Tita was really good, however. I already adore their relationship, but I might regret that...?

sungahymn

Neo Member
Agate's speech to Tita was really good, however. I already adore their relationship, but I might regret that...?

If you're gonna keep with the Trails series, you should expect more
loli
stuff along those lines. As far as I know, nothing goes full creepzone. I might be making it sound worse than it actually is though.

SephLuis

loli
stuff along those lines. As far as I know, nothing goes full creepzone. I might be making it sound worse than it actually is though.

You are.

Though their relationship is akin to a brother/sister. Though even the 3rd makes some jokes about that.

sungahymn

Neo Member
Nothing to regret there. Their interactions are generally pretty sweet.

image.php

jk

PK Gaming

loli

It's cool, I've gone through the Cold Steel games already. I'm ready!

Nothing to regret there. Their interactions are generally pretty sweet.

Ah good. Saw a couple of discussions on Tita's relationship with Agate and the consensus was kind of split? Maybe people were reading into it?

Ah good. Saw a couple of discussions on Tita's relationship with Agate and the consensus was kind of split?
huh, I havent seen any discussions on it. I couldnt imagine it being any more than a range from "didnt really care" to "enjoyed it" though. I dont want to spoil it though so I won't explain my thoughts

huh, I havent seen any discussions on it. I couldnt imagine it being any more than a range from "didnt really care" to "enjoyed it" though. I dont want to spoil it though so I won't explain my thoughts

There have been arguments that their relationship is more boyfriend/girlfriend rather than brother/sister. Personally I don't see former in there at all.

apd_ng

Feature: Auto Battle Mode AUTO戦闘モード追加 Add in an auto battle feature in battle. To activate it, press select during combat. 100/50 (Vita)

Hows this not a feature in the main game, not a ng+ thing falcom whyyyyyy

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The moment when windows forces an update and you forgot to save your word doc for treasure box progression for the treasure hunter trophy in Zero.
Feelsbadman......

Paches

CS2:

Finally got Laura on board and now I can resume wrecking complete shop with my master group. Also enjoying that Sharon is playable in 2 and she is also a complete destroyer (oh and Tea Time is OP as shit in boss battles).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Use Google Drive doc, it saves all the time, automaticaly.
Sorry for your loss :p

Good advice I do that for everything school related not sure why this habit didn't carry over into gaming :-x even when I was doing Fire Emblem spreadsheets more than a year ago I didn't use google.... damn....

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
CS1 had only one boss that managed to wipe out my party. Played on Normal.
Nosferatu in Lohengrin Castle

CS2, same boss again "but more powerful". Playing Hard.

Beat him Unscathed. lol...

Gu4n

Feature: Auto Battle Mode AUTO戦闘モード追加 Add in an auto battle feature in battle. To activate it, press select during combat. 100/50 (Vita)

Hows this not a feature in the main game, not a ng+ thing falcom whyyyyyy
Auto Battle Mode was planned for the first Cold Steel but scrapped before the game came out, most likely and once again due to time constraints.

Paches

So how are they gonna have save game transfer to CS3 for bonus items and shit? Isn't CS3 PS4 only or am I missing something completely.

Marche90

You'll probably have to wait for a sale, unfortunatedly

So how are they gonna have save game transfer to CS3 for bonus items and shit? Isn't CS3 PS4 only or am I missing something completely.

My hunch is that either we get jack or they use the cross-save method to load your CS2 data into CS3.

Gu4n

Falcom said they're looking into the possibilities. They're good friends with Sony, so I'm sure they'll come up with something -- in my game, Sara still owes Rean ones.

Thoraxes

Falcom said they're looking into the possibilities. They're good friends with Sony, so I'm sure they'll come up with something -- in my game, Sara still owes Rean ones.

I feel like the only solution I can think of now (though how easy I have no idea) would be to use the upload data utility from the cross-save menu and have it pull from there. Maybe just give the PS4 access to that save data or something? Besides just a USB drive dealio.

Absol

Finally finished TitS SC. Thank god I don't have work today since I blasted through the last eight hours or so until like 4 am.

I do not envy the people who had to wait four years for this to come out lol

Should I jump straight into CS or wait until the 3rd comes out?

apd_ng

Finally finished TitS SC. Thank god I don't have work today since I blasted through the last eight hours or so until like 4 am.

I do not envy the people who had to wait four years for this to come out lol

Should I jump straight into CS or wait until the 3rd comes out?

Either is prob fine, it'll be fun to see some familiar faces though, in Cold Steel

Just helps us by supporting Xseed. More sales means we'll get the rest of the series !

I've already bought CS 1 and 2, but I read that it would be better to play Trails in the Sky first, so I jumped in when the game was in Bundle.

It would have been a no brainer if there is a physical disc.

My Vita just overheated playing Cold Steel, first time I've ever had that warning.

There's a joke there somewhere but I'm not in the mood right now.

Top Bottom