• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm an Arios MacLane fan and I haven't even played his game yet. He reminds me of Dias Flac from Star Ocean 2.

Menthuss

You know you joke about it, but in SC she
did something similar to what Alba did in FC. She went through a monsters filled dungeon alone. She also "accidentally" saved the group from an enforcer.

Her character design would be a bit too silly for the Grandmaster, tho'.

Until she removes her glasses...

Does anyone have a link for the mods that can speed up the battles in Trails PC editions? I've seen them referenced on the forum but google is failing me.

That mod was very usefull for FC but for some reason it's effect was way less obvious in SC for me. the flow and speed of the battles are just better in SC for some reason.

So I saw on twitter that the crossbell games in China have been added to steam greenlight. Does that have any impact on us getting the games in the West?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a link for the mods that can speed up the battles in Trails PC editions? I've seen them referenced on the forum but google is failing me.

It's Cheat Engine rather than a mod- download it, go to the hotkey settings and set speedhack buttons to your taste, launch the game, then click the little search engine thing in Cheat Engine to find your FC/SC program then click on enable speedhack. Achievements and whatever still work (though I got the Odyssey of Anton one way early, dunno if the game got confused).

Thank god Cold Steel has a skip animation button.

I just came here to freak out about the Greenlight additions and I'm unsurprised to see it already covered.

My hope is resuscitated slightly.

omgfloofy

Banned
All this basically says is that Joyoland decided to see if they could sell the games digitally on Steam. There is absolutely *no* information on this beyond that, and it's presumptuous to try and jump the gun and assume it means anything else. So far, it doesn't.

EDIT: This doesn't even guarantee that these games will be on Steam. Greenlight doesn't even mean that much.

I'd say that perhaps the best thing that could come from it would potentially getting PC versions of those games without horrific DRM involved (or they could still be DRM shitfests, just saying that's probably the best case scenario).

This feels like one of those so-close-but-so-far situation. At least procuring a copy for the fan translation would be much more convenient if these got through.

yea doesnt mean much, even if XSEED could get the licenses from joyoland combined with falcom, unless those releases contain the japanese scripts too, xseed wont be able to localize them without hiring chinese translators and running the risk of double translation issues.

These joyoland PC releases already existed, they are just new to steam, so yea, I dont think anything changes.

duckroll

yea doesnt mean much, even if XSEED could get the licenses from joyoland combined with falcom, unless those releases contain the japanese scripts too, xseed wont be able to localize them without hiring chinese translators and running the risk of double translation issues.

These joyoland PC releases already existed, they are just new to steam, so yea, I dont think anything changes.

It seems to be a relatively painless process to insert the Japanese scripts from the PSP games into the PC versions. Looks like people have already been doing it since they first came out.

It seems to be a relatively painless process to insert the Japanese scripts from the PSP games into the PC versions. Looks like people have already been doing it since they first came out.
thats definitely something I didnt know. Still then it would require xseed to get licenses from falcom and joyoland, which still seems to be the struggle.

omgfloofy

Banned
This feels like one of those so-close-but-so-far situation. At least procuring a copy for the fan translation would be much more convenient if these got through.

I don't think we can even say if we can or not, since we have jack and shit in terms of details on what Joyoland is going to do with this.

duckroll

thats definitely something I didnt know. Still then it would require xseed to get licenses from falcom and joyoland, which still seems to be the struggle.

Actually they probably just need a license from Falcom. I don't think Joyoland owns anything other than the right to distribute the games. I mean in the end, all the code belongs to Falcom. It's just modified by the licensee to run on another platform. If Falcom owns the localization, they probably own the port code too. I think the biggest question here is what the release on Steam will actually be. If it's the same crappy DRM'd garbage that XSEED will have to hack the shit out of, it might not be worth the trouble at all.

jackal27

Banned
I'm back into CS1 right now. Really want to play CS2 so I'm trying to get through it. Something about this game just hooks me so much better than TitS:FC. I just did not have a great time with that game.

I still can't figure out why either. Since I finished TitS about a year ago, I've had some time to reflect and I think I do want to play SC, but I'm still not sure I'm ready for it yet. The first game just felt like such a slog after a while (I'm so sorry those of you that love it aka everyone who isn't me). It just seemed to drag on and sometimes. Still, CS1 really has its hooks in me and I just prefer the visuals so much more. I've always had a bit of an aversion to prerendered sprites, even as a kid.

Actually they probably just need a license from Falcom. I don't think Joyoland owns anything other than the right to distribute the games. I mean in the end, all the code belongs to Falcom. It's just modified by the licensee to run on another platform. If Falcom owns the localization, they probably own the port code too. I think the biggest question here is what the release on Steam will actually be. If it's the same crappy DRM'd garbage that XSEED will have to hack the shit out of, it might not be worth the trouble at all.
I think thats hard to say. Would falcom even have the code for the PC port of Ao? I thought Joyoland did the port themselves.

If the steam release drops the DRM they had in favor of steamworks though, thats a good assist

I'm not sure the joyoland ports unaltered(besides english text/script/voice) are something Xseed would want to release anyways. I don't think they have anywhere near the effort put into them that Sara puts into their PC releases.

PK Gaming

FFB97BD161D0D521EE23E414045A7F50673575EF

03A7133C10F7A15701CBB6038B5B70FC0179701A

B0C71DF09E3D8948AEF314EC5C98C14D1DAD9EDF

EAA636D4DC6E1DB30175EE62B3E065CF00CA3454

MQQc4YX.png

godisntheradio

Neo Member
this talk about ports and licenses made me think about the ps4/vita port of Ys origin and the pc port of Tokyo Xanadu, if these were possible on the same way these chinese pc ports were possible.

it also makes me wonder if the Ys Origin port sells well, maybe they port the rest of Ys and maybe Trails in the Sky? would this sucess also mean that dotEMU could close the gap between Zero/Azure and an english release?

Vic_Viper

Haven't played any of the Trails games but have been thinking about checking out the first game in Steam. What kind of side stuff is there to do aside from just the usual quests? As in fishing, crafting, or farming?

SephLuis

Haven't played any of the Trails games but have been thinking about checking out the first game in Steam. What kind of side stuff is there to do aside from just the usual quests? As in fishing, crafting, or farming?

Not sure if I should recommend you Trails or an Atelier game lol

Trails has fishing but not farming. Crafting yes if you consider that you can make your equipment better and you craft orbs that give you magic. But it's very, very simple. Not something like Atelier with many systems and ingredients.

Zeiss is just like Roer!

And Tita is adorable!!

Tita is my absolute least favorite character in both games. I find the whole "oh, she's a little sister that we never had! How cute!" thing totally nauseating.

It's doubly a shame because her AOE attacks are pretty nice in battle so sometimes I feel compelled to use her.

Not big on the Zeiss region either. I would say those chapters are my least favorite in both FC and SC.

There is fishing though it's somewhat basic.

Honestly, other than quests, the main side activity is talking to the entire populace in a region every time you advance the main story the tiniest bit. They all have their own individual story lines that you can track across both games.

Tita is my absolute least favorite character in both games. I find the whole "oh, she's a little sister that we never had! How cute!" thing totally nauseating.
I wouldnt go as far as to call her presence nauseating, but I definitely didnt care about her being there, nor did I find her contributions interesting. So I would agree that shes my least favorite playable character

Still cant believe I like Millium now though

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

The main side stuff is really the bracer request and hidden missions. Which is basically helping people out with all kinds of stuff usual rpg fare. After that gathering all the books in the game. Fishing/cooking and completing your notebook which basically functions also as a monster compendium(I'm actually not sure anymore if that's a thing in sky already but it's something the later games reward).

That's the side activity stuff that has tangible rewards. The one that doesn't is checking in with all the NPCs after every major turning point in the story and following those stories along. That doesn't have any rewards but the enjoyment of seeing how everyone changes in this world.

Taruranto

She feels out of place in Trails of Sky somewhat, err... "realistic" narrative. I wouldn't have minded her much if she was just an NPC, but she's really weird in places like the final dungeon.

Though it's interesting to note the difference in portrayal when it comes to child characters between CS and Tits. It's both hilarious and kinda disturbing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not sure if I should recommend you Trails or an Atelier game lol

Trails has fishing but not farming. Crafting yes if you consider that you can make your equipment better and you craft orbs that give you magic. But it's very, very simple. Not something like Atelier with many systems and ingredients.
There's cooking though! But it's more fun in Cold Steel.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
FC doesn't really have fishing though. There is one point in the game where you can fish, but it doesn't really become a feature until SC, and perhaps later games.

In fact FC doesn't really have much at all in the way of minigame type things.

oni-link

I'm 18 hours in Cold Steel 2 and have a question:

Everyone keeps mentioning
the first time they visited Ymir,

Now I started Cold Steel 2 a few days after beating Cold Steel 1, so did I miss something because I don't remember
Class VII ever visiting Ymir in the first game

I'm 18 hours in Cold Steel 2 and have a question:

Everyone keeps mentioning
the first time they visited Ymir,

Now I started Cold Steel 2 a few days after beating Cold Steel 1, so did I miss something because I don't remember
Class VII ever visiting Ymir in the first game

It's from a drama CD, the nice people of XSeed translated some chapters from that CD for our reading pleasure:
http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html

Paches

Cold Steel 1 Final Chapter:

Just blew almost all of my Zerum Powder/Capsule items to beat the giant black demon/soul thingy at the end of the 7th floor of the Old Schoolhouse, so I hope that was the final boss!

Top Bottom