• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last great 2D sprite based fighter - KoF XIII is $4.99 on Steam

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Too good of a deal to not bring up, and I really believe this is the last time we will see a 2D sprite based fighting game of this caliber, at least for a long, long time.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/222940/THE_KING_OF_FIGHTERS_XIII_STEAM_EDITION/

ss_99049e7e2d7f5ab9c71a4e2663b7f8685daf837d.1920x1080.jpgt1379381559

ss_0e5933f5c4b0204b52a8f0d0bd71ea2ad59bca59.1920x1080.jpg

Amazing game. That price is an absolute steal. It really is one of the finest fighting games ever, and it's just gorgeous to look at. You can just feel the love that was poured into every last pixel of animation, from the characters to the backgrounds, the music was excellent, and most importantly, the core gameplay is some of the tightest and most satisfying of any game. KOFXIII is an all-time clasic in my mind.

sibarraz

Banned
Good to just play through single-player?

For 5 dollars yes, it has some of the hardest trial missions ever, so you will not beat them quick, story mode is a mixed bag were is super complicated to get the true ending, but with a guide is ok. Arcade mode is fun.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Theres so many characters and different playstyles that just going through the challenges and trying different team combinations is pretty compelling. Story mode is not Injustice level or anything, but its there and they try.

Also a great, great game to showoff to friends.

selfnoise

Great game, just bear in mind some of the stage backgrounds are comically racist. Might not play well with you/those around you.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I sort of recall the story mode being more in depth than expected. Not injustice, but lots of character banter and unique dialogue between fights setting up rivalries and conraderie. Was a bit disappointed that XIV didn't match this. Gorgeous game though and so many unique characters, it's worth the price for curiosity.

Been thinking of reinstalling this on 360 (older box, juggling space on USB) but might get it on Steam. Has a lot to keep one busy in single player. Never really been that good at it but fun to play.

5olid_5nake

Damn, just spent last dime on Vanquish, hopefully I will somehow manage to grab it before this offer expires. Thx OP for the heads up!

-hadouken

I love this game for multiplayer, but the brainless AI (that can be low kicked to death on the hardest difficulty) makes it useless from a single player perspective. A sad waste.

shaowebb

The last great sprite...? Where ya been man? There's tons of great 2d sprite based pc fighting games. Might wanna try new things more because you're missing out on some great things. KOF13 is great though. Fantastic meter system and balance. Great price.

dlauv

While I like the sprites, there coloring is kind of too dour for me.

The backgrounds aren't very fun either.

Soltype

The last great sprite...? Where ya been man? There's tons of great 2d sprite based pc fighting games. Might wanna try new things more because you're missing out on some great things. KOF13 is great though. Fantastic meter system and balance. Great price.

He's saying of this caliber.Outside of 3S, no other 2D fg has sprites on this level.I don't see anybody realistically trying again either.

norm9

This price is really tempting. How does it compare to XIV overall? Is the online still going (i rarely play online but would like to know anyway)?

ghibli99

For 5 dollars yes, it has some of the hardest trial missions ever, so you will not beat them quick, story mode is a mixed bag were is super complicated to get the true ending, but with a guide is ok. Arcade mode is fun.
Theres so many characters and different playstyles that just going through the challenges and trying different team combinations is pretty compelling. Story mode is not Injustice level or anything, but its there and they try.

Also a great, great game to showoff to friends.
I sort of recall the story mode being more in depth than expected. Not injustice, but lots of character banter and unique dialogue between fights setting up rivalries and conraderie. Was a bit disappointed that XIV didn't match this. Gorgeous game though and so many unique characters, it's worth the price for curiosity.
Thanks for taking the time to respond -- it's been bought. :)

That ain't Skullgirls.

is this port even good?

If I remember correctly, yes, but with some caveats. It had some technical issues like running too fast in full screen, but they're fixable. The big selling point was improved netcode (from the PS3's dumpster fire), though I have no idea how many people are still playing it now.

He's saying of this caliber.Outside of 3S, no other 2D fg has sprites on this level.I don't see anybody realistically trying again either.
I want to love the game's sprites, but the SD nature of them combined with the otherwise HD visuals really hurts the game's art in a way that 3S didn't have to worry about. I'll never understand why SNK spent all that time and money on 480p sprites, even a decade ago it was obvious that SD was dead.

(And Skullgirls -- which is actually HD -- looks better regardless, anyway.)

I like this game and I'd still recommend it, but the bigger focus on combos compared to previous KOF games was kind of a drag.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Skullgirl's sprites are better in every way. Higher resolution, better lightning, smoother animations, etc. KoF13 has it beat in sheer quantity of characters though.

Raging Spaniard

I'm gonna go ahead and say Skullgirl's sprites are better in every way. Higher resolution, better lightning, smoother animations, etc. KoF13 has it beat in sheer quantity of characters though.

Skullgirls is a labor of love and a great achievement for the industry, especially for American based fighting games ... but KoF is a whole other thing. The amount of time, money and effort spent by the devs on this is insane even to the already insane levels something like SG or even 3rd Strike went, its the last 2D entry on a franchise that has over 14 entries (spinoffs and whatnot) Hopefully SG can create its own legacy in the coming years, but for me this is the climax of this series before it got rebooted, so thats why I spoke of it in those terms ... and for $5 I mean come on.

The racist/extremely ignorant imagery is very regrettable. If that impacts your purchase then of course, I totally understand.

Soltype

I'll give Skullgirls the nod in resolution, but animation and lighting, no way.

latest
latest

Spman2099

People need to stop posting pictures... it hurts too much.

This legitimately offends me. Skullgirls is way, way, way behind KoF XIII. You could argue that the animations are more imaginative, I guess. But in actual frames? Not even close. The sprites are far simpler as well. If KoF XIII is an A+ (and it is) then Skullgirls is a B.

That isn't an attack on Skullgirls, KoF XIII is just one of the best looking games ever made.

Raging Spaniard

OP, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] comes out on console next month, so the thread title is factually incorrect.

Cool, Im happy you are into correcting factually incorrect things, Vigilant Gambit. Thank you for shining a light on such an important issue like "somebody's thread title is incorrect due to my way of thinking, which is the only factual way of thinking"

We are better for it, please keep up the good work.

Ritzboof

Cool, Im happy you are into correcting factually incorrect things, Vigilant Gambit. Thank you for shining a light on such an important issue like "somebody's thread title is incorrect due to my way of thinking, which is the only factual way of thinking"

We are better for it, please keep up the good work.

i think he means to say that UNIST is coming out, is great, and is a 2D sprite based fighter, so that part of the thread title is literally false. on that subject, visuals in UNI are pretty superb, as well

tumblr_na7tkfr6kw1tbix68o1_500.gif

i honestly could never get into KOF XIII. it looks really nice, but ive gone back to it several times (i have it on xbox360), and its just too stiff and strict for me to enjoy. maybe im spoiled by anime fighters like melty blood and UNI

Ritzboof

UNI does not look nearly as good as KoF XIII, especially in backgrounds.

i didnt really wanna say it cuz its not that big of a deal, but KOF XIII is pretty overkill with the visuals, imo. its difficult to appreciate immensely developed looks in a fast paced 2D FG, and really fluid and epic key poses and shit are what really matters. similarly with the stages, you dont focus on it all that much so it isnt all that necessary, but UNI (as well as other anime fighters) does a great job of making great looking stages with solid themes while using minimal polygons

i also feel like, as absurdly fluid and detailed as they are, KOF XIII sprites kinda lack style and look like plastic

i dont mean to shittalk KOF though, pls be gentle

Futaleufu

The last great 2d sprite based fighter and the best pixel art you'll ever see in a game. If you are comparing Skullgirls or Blazblue to this, you should know better,

RM8

I personally think Skullgirls and the anime fighters are an eyesore and leagues behind KOFXIII in both character design and gameplay. So I see what OP means, to be honest.

mnemonicj

I love how KoFXIII looks, but I never got into it despite having it on X360. This and SF3rd strike should be ported over to this gen. I can dream.

Raging Spaniard

Skullgirls and Blazblue were not based on 3D models though

We used 3D reference for Skullgirls a bunch of times, just cause you didnt hear about it doesnt mean it didnt happen ;) Im sure Blazblue did some of that as well.

Even for KoF, people oversimplify the "drawover" process. It requires a crazy amount of artistry, skill, animation knowledge and time

Futaleufu

Skullgirls and Blazblue were not based on 3D models though

No, they were based on actual drawings.The betas for Skullgirls on PC even had the original drawings as placeholders for new characters. In KOFXIII they still had to do pixel art the old way over the reference 3D models, you wont find any trace of them on the final "sprites".

Edit: Raging Spaniard giving better info about SG in the post above.

I never liked the Street Fighter-esque porportions they gave all the KOF characters in XIII. That and the colouring and shading of the sprites. KoF always had a specific artsyle and design philosophy that they completely ignored when they made these sprites.

histopher

I never liked the Street Fighter-esque porportions they gave all the KOF characters in XIII. That and the colouring and shading of the sprites. KoF always had a specific artsyle and design philosophy that they completely ignored when they made these sprites.

Yeah and it finally looked good haha.

Top Bottom