• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - TGS Screens [With Bonus Ico/SotC PS3 Screen]

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This can't come soon enough. :)

Empty

rhino4evr said:
Yeah I agree, I feel the game with be like Ico but with a Collossi as your guide instead of Yorda. Considering that you are a small boy without any weaponry, I would imagine your goal will be to avoid combat.

i think that's most likely.

this shot is clearly showing stealth

ss_preview_trico05.jpg.jpg

as is this one

ss_preview_trico04.jpg.jpg

but i wonder how your interactions with the creature fit into that gameplay. you can't sneak a huge animal past those guards, i don't think. maybe you have to sneak past to open a passage for it to get past elsewhere.

Malvolio

To think I picked up a PS3 shortly after launch with this as my only gaming motivation. The wait has been well worth it. Bring on the awesomeness, I am ready.

StuBurns

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
i think it was suggested by someone on GAF, but has anyone considered that you control the beast and not the boy in TLG?
It certainly doesn't appear to be that way, I'd say, no chance.
Although it'd be a cool twist to have you play as it for a moment, the famous bridge part of Ico might have been even cooler if it had you play Yorda... No, it wouldn't, that would have spoiled the best part of the game, maybe gaming as a whole, that'd really suck.

Empty

Rabbitwork said:
i think it was suggested by someone on GAF, but has anyone considered that you control the beast and not the boy in TLG?

from eurogamer's interview with ueda at last years tgs

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sceis-fumito-ueda-interview?page=3

Eurogamer: I understand you can't control Torico directly, but you take advantage of the animal's characteristics to interact with the environment. Can you give us an example of how this works?

Fumito Ueda: For example, if you have access to one of Torico's favourite foods or objects, you can throw it to a place where you wouldn't be able to go in normal circumstances.

Eurogamer: So let's say I throw the food to a ledge across a big gap - I can then jump onto Torico and the animal will take me across?

Fumito Ueda: Exactly.

unless he is pulling a kojima, i doubt it.

Rabbitwork said:

you most likely control the boy, and probably control the beast when the boy is on it.

DaBuddaDa said:
The screens look fantastic! I really hope though that after TLG they try to mix up their aesthetic a bit. Ico, SotC and this all look like they are from the same 'world,' with it's heavy mix of washed out, decaying grays and greens. It's starting to look a little samey.
That's the style, gives it kind of a dreamy quality I think most people would miss.

JWong

Banned
Videos?... Videos? Videos? Videos?............... Videos?

Videos?

Has the Sony conference or whatever happened?

oracrest said:
Those screens look soooooo gooood!!!!!! blaaaaah1!!!!! :D :D :D

edit: It looks like they are using more detailed textures. Not just higher resolution, but doesn't it look like the 'square brick' texture on the one ICO comparison actually contains more bricks than the low res version? Maybe it's just the different angles...

fHlEI.jpg

23jlvrn.png

Probably a combination of the the lower res + shot closer to the characters + lack of AF. They are probably no different.

Issun23

bigboss370 said:
you most likely control the boy, and probably control the beast when the boy is on it.

You never control the creature, at least from what we've seen so far. When the boy's on it you still control him, the game becoming similar to Shadow of the Colossus, clinging on until the creature reaches a safe spot for you to climb out.

feel

Can't fuckin wait for all 3 games. Haven't played ICO and SOTC in years.

TLG is looking a bit washed out outdors though, I hope the game looks like that first indoor screen for the most part

And I hope sony introduces the option to block the stupid achievement popups by then. I want to be fully immersed in these worlds.

rhino4evr

My guess is that the creature actually protects you as you try to escape. You are going to be compeltely helpless...you are kind of like Yorda in that way.

Lain

TLG looks really good, but that ICO shot kinda hypes me more... the memories, I can't wait to relive them in HD.

ShinNL

And... the time is ripe for me to buy a PS3 :lol

Gonna hold for white slim though.

Now these are real games. I didn't care about 95% of the dudebro games.

Empty

Letters said:
Can't fuckin wait for all 3 games. Haven't played ICO and SOTC in years.

TLG is looking a bit washed out outdors though, I hope the game looks like that first indoor screen for the most part
]

i think those screens are so washed out because they are in locations directly exposed to the sun, whereas this looks like it's in a piazza or some place that's slightly protected but is still outside and looks much prettier.

efmq1l.jpg

Luigiv

GAH!! Not only have they not removed the atrocious fog from the collection, they've added it to The Last Guardian too. I was hoping I'd actually be able to see the graphics this time. :(

Issun23

Mad_Ban said:
Sweet.

Hopefully we get some more info then (it's a given, surely?).

Why would Sony gather the press for a special session to share with them details as old as last year's TGS? New information should be a given, perhaps even gameplay.

Remember, folks:

Ico:
US Release 9/24/2001
JPN Release 12/6/2001

Shadow of the Colossus:
US Release 10/18/2005
JPN Release 10/27/2005

Ueda's games generally come out first in North America. No need to worry about a localization delay. :D

Danielsan

badcrumble said:
Remember, folks:

Ico:
US Release 9/24/2001
JPN Release 12/6/2001

Shadow of the Colossus:
US Release 10/18/2005
JPN Release 10/27/2005

Ueda's games generally come out first in North America. No need to worry about a localization delay. :D
Not much to localize in games that don't focus on a lot of chattiness. :D
This time us Euro people can just import the US version if ours runs late.
And if we get the superior late edition again I'll simply double dip.

Danielsan said:
Not much to localize in games that don't focus on a lot of chattiness. :D
Nope! In fact, I think that the two made-up-languages in Ico and the King Nimrod reference in SotC show that Ueda's quite deliberately invoking the Tower of Babel myth and ways to use interaction to get past the divisions caused by language, but that's for another thread.

Top Bottom