• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night (cyberpunk cinematic platformer) becoming full game; due 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehynn

By far my most anticipated indie game. Super-stoked to hear that Perturbator is involved.

...This should run well on an i5 Surface Pro 3, right?

Dev tweeted this in response to someone sharing his new lockscreen
Oh <3 This screenshot has traveled so much now. It has seen things you wouldn't believe… We're so far from this now!
And it sounds like we'll be getting new screenshots soon
Yes. In our next devblog article. We'll decipher together the visuals of The Last Night, creatively & technically.
He's talking about this screenshot btw
tumblr_nm9vfoyCDP1tah9pwo1_1280.png

But...that already looked so good...

Head.spawn

So many awesome looking games on the horizon. Thanks for all the updates!

I don't even know how they would make that look better, it looks lovely already.

Some really cool GIFs from Twitter

Here a test using lighting to suggest a crowded street behind the camera
https://twitter.com/timsoret/status/782392486299828224
Y9SYxMdl.gif

Just a few tests to see if pixel art textures could be applied to polygonal boxes. Would enable us to do some cool destructive enviro.
I9ZRNoc.gif

Old physics tests. Fully breakable boxes with joints actually containing stuff.
yi3aklI.gif

Our main character is very clumsy. All of these are super old tests. Actually ending up useful for gameplay, characterisation & storytelling
rw83NbK.gif

iratA

Looks so good. So much promise in these shots here's hoping it all comes together well. Oh and PS4 platform please.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't wait, but I have a *feeling* (based on nothing but the devs' posts, project getting bigger and stuff shown) this won't see the light before mid 2018.

Man, they're really going all in on small lighting/environmental details. I hope to see a conversation explode into a shootout in a densely packed area where every box full of oranges is shot and knocked over.

I played a VR 2d platformer with a similar art style to this on Gear VR, but I forgot the name right now. It was an indie game jam, but the game showed really cool potential for 2D platformers in VR. EDIT: Found it, it was called Phase Shift. Check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq7QjZ5YWYk

I can only imagine this game in VR, fully immersed in that beautiful cyberpunk setting while controlling the character in 2D. It would be amazing. I hope they can look into this in the future.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This is the third indie game in the span of two weeks where I just discover a game for the first time and immediately want it.

StoveOven

Banned
This game keeps looking better and better. I hope the wait isn't too much longer, but I'll take it whenever it's ready.

Speely

Banned
That evolution reminds me of how it looks when you compare original Rain World to the current game

Great analogy!

Edit: I need this game in my life now. This specific fucking thing is why I love video games. When someone has a vision like this and works hard to make it real, it's amazing.

Holy shit this game is absolutely in fucking charge of its art direction. I've never seen a game that just oozes such a unique style.

Whew.

Great analogy!

Edit: I need this game in my life now. This specific fucking thing is why I love video games. When someone has a vision like this and works hard to make it real, it's amazing.
This was from their devlog post a few months back
We want to tell you how we went from scrappy pixel art for a gamejam in a tiny 691x269 window, to a massive 1920x1080 filled with delicious pixel art full of details, a real sense of depth and lovely animations.

We want to tell you how we imagined and designed the futuristic, gritty, yet charming city of the game. How we settled on some gameplay features, like our real time action dialogues and our 2.5D camera, and how we are juicing them.

We want to explain you how we animate our characters by hand, and how we randomise their behaviours to create a rich, 2D, believable crowd where you blend in. Or even how we are using lighting as an aesthetic, creative, and storytelling tool.
So very excited to see that vision. I'd include this with Rain World, Somerville, and Ghost Song as games that just exude passion and a very specific vision

Slaythe

I am truly in awe.

This is the first time I look at a game and have absolutely no idea about how to replicate the style.

It's incredible, so much work and detail.

Aters

This is one of those "fall in love in first sight" games for me. The art, the sound, OMG! The last one I remember was Bastion. That game was pretty boring from gameplay perspective IMO. I hope this game plays better. Anyway, I'm on board just for the art.

Speely

Banned
This was from their devlog post a few months back

So very escited to see that vision. I'd include this with Rain World, Somerville, and Ghost Song as games that just exude passion and a very specific vision

I truly love how indies can realize a vision much more realistically these days. Else, we would absolutely NOT see games like Rain World or The Last Night.

This is one of those "fall in love in first sight" games for me. The art, the sound, OMG! The last one I remember was Bastion. That game was pretty boring from gameplay perspective IMO. I hope this game plays better. Anyway, I'm on board just for the art.
Yeah, I played the game jam version way back, and waso happy that they decided to expand it. Damn, they sure did expand it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom