• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Confirmed? (Linkedin Profile)

Loxley

I completed The Last of Us + Left Behind for the first time this last week - and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

If/when the sequel does happen, my only hope is that they focus on new characters (which I believe they've said they would if a sequel were to be made). Maybe have an older Ellie/Joel play a role in the story or make a cameo, but ND are so good at creating interesting characters that I'd love to see them do it again. Whatever they do, I'm there day one for anything having to do with more TLOU.

The only acceptable way to have Joel and Ellie in the sequel is for you to find Joel's bullet riddled corpse with a note from Ellie stuck to it that says NOW I REALLY AM THE LAST OF US.

This is not a game reveal though. We already knew Naughty Dog worked on concepts for TLOU2 (Neil said so in a few interviews), but we have no idea if that idea went into actual production.

Its sold over 8 million. Its getting a sequel, Sony will make sure of that.

It's a shame if it turned out to be that way. TLOU came at a moment when the Uncharted series has just hit its stride thereby proving that they're willing to take creative risks in an industry that is fueled by your formulaic titles. To do a sequel would undermine that "leap of faith" when they were anticipating middling reception for said product. It showcases that even ND can still have very little clue about how their games will be received.

Would have preferred another glorious new IP.

As is, I want new characters in new locations with a new plot focus. Maybe even set in different time(s).

Gandalf

This would be great news if true.

Interesting choice of words in his profile.
"Prototyping head sculpts" for TLoU2. But yet, for U4, he says "lead character Nathan Drake". Now, it could just mean he could of been working on NPC's for TLoU2... Or that those prototypes could of been for new lead character/s? I guess it's impossible to tell.
Doing it with a different lead character or duo would be cool with me.

kpaadet

Ahh thanks. I wasn't sure whether to rage or not. You've put my mind to rest.

Why would you even enter a TLOU thread if you are trying to avoid spoilers? I know I would be too paranoid for that at least.

Yes way, there is so many ways for the story to go from the point they left off. Im not interested in the last of us world really but I am interested in Joel and Ellie journey through it. I doubt last of us would be as good without them.

I don't get this argument: "I'm only interested in Joel and Ellie not the world", ND created those characters I am sure they can write new ones that are just as good, and even if they couldn't at least they wouldn't "ruin" Joel and Ellie.

Occam

The Very Last of Us
The More of Us?

New storyline with new characters, please. Would be cool if it took place in Europe.

MagnesD3

Why would you even enter a TLOU thread if you are trying to avoid spoilers? I know I would be too paranoid for that at least.

I don't get this argument: "I'm only interested in Joel and Ellie not the world", ND created those characters I am sure they can write new ones that are just as good, and even if they couldn't at least they wouldn't "ruin" Joel and Ellie.

The world is very boring and drab, at first it made me not like the game that much in the beginning but joel and ellie along with their amazing support characters and the games good mechanics made it the awesome blockbuster it was. At the end of last of us there were many directions the story can go with them id hate for them to not be the main focus point of the next game, I really doubt they are gonna conjure another Joel and ellie to make a game like this shine, id rather they continue down those characters stories instead of resetting with new ones.

Gandalf

Oh believe me, I was paranoid. I literally read the OP then commented. I then stupidly scrolled up to see the few posts above mine to see what other people were thinking. Then thought I stumbled on a spoiler. I'll just complete it ASAP, probably for the best.

Not surprised. I expected their new IP to come next, not TLOU 2. I guess the order changed.

That order feels somewhat risky, IMO.

Despite the critical success of TLOU, it is a new IP. Letting it stay dormant for 4-5 years may affect it's momentum and excitement for a sequel.

A sequel in 2017 sounds about right.

LAST OF US SPOILER

But really why are you in a thread about a sequel if you havn't played the first?

If Ellie is going to be the main character, they are going to do a good 10 year time jump, and simply have Joel be dead at that point in time. That's the most logical way to take make Ellie the main character, and leave the ending pretty much untouched, keeping it's different interpretations to a degree.

Hoje0308

Banned
I don't get the correlation between units sold and the expectation of a sequel.

Why? It's basic business. Both ND and Sony are businesses and the latter of the two has stockholders and a bottom line that's included a lot of red ink for quite some time now. A sequel was expected.

OT: Yes! Will be happy with a return of Joel and Ellie, but would be happier with new characters. Bonus points if they start off as the idealistic type, then slowly degrade and break, eventually becoming the type of people you killed in the original game. Maybe you come across Joel and/or Ellie at the end, thereby setting up the third (and hopefully last) game.

Would be 100% down for TLOU UK

I really think ND could do more with the horror elements if the setting included forests and swamps, or any area with limited visibility with plenty of ambient noise. It would be nice to have trouble picking up on the sounds and movements of clickers with all the clutter and noise confusing your senses.

Robot Pants

Eh. Well I'm sure it will be good but the game doesn't need a sequel. Why not leave it alone as one of the best games of all time and just work on something new?

MagnesD3

LAST OF US SPOILER

But really why are you in a thread about a sequel if you havn't played the first?

If Ellie is going to be the main character, they are going to do a good 10 year time jump, and simply have Joel be dead at that point in time. That's the most logical way to take make Ellie the main character, and leave the ending pretty much untouched, keeping it's different interpretations to a degree.

Spoilers ahead

Personally I want Ellie to be older and joel to be older as well, Im hoping one of the big things is you have to kill Joel as Ellie due to conflicting ideals or something. Joel would never hurt Ellie but she is somehow put in a position with no other options because of joel or something. I also want to see the fireflies reform and come after ellie and joel including ruining that safe haven they live at. Joels brothers wife could die in the attack or something. Theres so much they can do!

Laconic

Banned
Will this be the first game with DLC that actually subtracts things from the game?

$20, and you can transform your experience into The Last.

Ellie is going to eventually become The Omega Woman is Legend.

Arondight

I hope they don't go with Joel and Ellie again. I thought their story ended quite well. Wouldn't mind seeing an adult Ellie with another person though with a new story.

scitek

Why? It's basic business. Both ND and Sony are businesses and the latter of the two has stockholders and a bottom line that's included a lot of red ink for quite some time now. A sequel was expected.

Right. It just seems pointless to greenlight something that's guaranteed to make money. Especially from a business standpoint.

Massa

The Last of Us was a new IP and it sold better than most first party PS3 games. That tells me that from a business standpoint the "business" should stay the fuck out of ND, and they will continue to do whatever gets their creative juices going. And they can only do one game at a time, so if they want to do something else then TLOU2 will not get made.

x-Lundz-x

There is no way TLoU2 does not follow Ellie's story.

Those of you asking for an entirely new cast would be asking for them to guarantee the sequel be shit on for not living up to the first game. It's going to follow Ellie in her late teens or early 20's you can pretty much bank on it.

Which is the way it should be sorry.

Having just finished last of us for the first time I am torn. On one hand I love this universe and want more and on the other, I felt Ellie and Joel's story is complete.

So if a sequel does come I hope it uses new characters.

I wouldn't mind more of the initial outbreak.

The First Of Us

Top Bottom