• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 question

Do we know who this is?
SmoothWaterloggedAnkolewatusi-size_restricted.gif
The reason I ask is cause one of the voice actors mentioned having an "open mind."

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
She was thought to be Ellie's mom when she was 1st shown but I really don't know. If she is then there might be some flashback scenes with her and Marlene

Rumors indicated it was Ellie’s mother (trailer insinuates the character is pregnant) but no confirmation was ever given.

mortal

Gold Member
No confirmation as of yet.

Could be a flashback of Ellie's mother, could be an adult Ellie in the future.

D3SCHA1N

No confirmation as of yet.

Could be a flashback of Ellie's mother, could be an adult Ellie in the future.

I think I remember hearing that Laura Bailey is the VA for the character, which suggests it's not an older Ellie as they'd just use the existing actor to voice her....

THEAP99

Banned
I think it's one of the main antagonists of the game. Possibly the leader of WLF. Maybe it's even Joel's long last wife because I can't remember if we ever knew what happened to his wife.

Also, thoughts on him saying we should have an open mind? I wonder what they're going to do with Ellie that's going to be so controversial because I remember in interviews they said that this isn't the same Ellie from the first game and this game is going to be violent.

Personally I think Ellie is going to leave Joel midway through this game because she doesn't forgive him or something else happens. That's going to be a very debated topic similar to the first one's ending. But this time on top of all the violence.

Wunray

It's the next nadene Ross, she's going to solo the entire enemy force............I'm only half way joking.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Her name was blocked out and it has 4 letters.

I can only see this as being "Anna" , Ellie's mom. IThere would be no other reason to block out her name, in my opinion.

Fbh

Not sure how both things correlate, and to me what Troy is saying just sounds like "the story might not go in the direction you are expecting", which would be fine with me because while I'm looking forward to playing it, what they have shown about the story didn't really grab me so far,

Its Joels brother. Mark it.

Joel and his group arrive at the the place where that one trailer with this character took place. He was sure he would be reunited with his brother but is devastated once he sees a bunch of corpses on the ground. Desperate, all he manages to scream is "Where is xe!!! Oh god please tell me xe isn't among the dead!!!!!!"

Keihart

Sounds plausible, Ellie's mom was a firefly too didn't she? I mean, since she was besties with Marlene and all...

MrJTeera

There would be no other reason to block out her name, in my opinion.

Ah shit, we haven’t thought of her name yet, what do we do?

Censor it. Works as a placeholder and adds “mystery” to the air.

Fuckin’ marketing genius right here!

GymWolf

Not sure how both things correlate, and to me what Troy is saying just sounds like "the story might not go in the direction you are expecting", which would be fine with me because while I'm looking forward to playing it, what they have shown about the story didn't really grab me so far,

Joel and his group arrive at the the place where that one trailer with this character took place. He was sure he would be reunited with his brother but is devastated once he sees a bunch of corpses on the ground. Desperate, all he manages to scream is "Where is xe!!! Oh god please tell me xe isn't among the dead!!!!!!"
i hope the plot is more surprising compared to the first game where you already know the finale literally 2 min after the game start.

dDoc

Wasnt it Troy who said we're all not ready for death stranding few months back? Its all marketing.

Geki-D

Banned
I really doubt it's Ellie's mother. Ellie is 14 years old 20 years after the outbreak and her mother died one day after childbirth. That would mean that if this is Ellie's mother, the trailer where she gets hanged is no more than 4 years after the outbreak started. That clearly isn't the case based on what we can see of the world. We even have a young teen who refers to the infected as "demons", I doubt that would be the case only 4 years after they started showing up.

It's also pretty clear that the people who tried to hang this women, are of the same group Ellie is tearing through in the gameplay trailer. Now, either they're some really dedicated cult who started nearly day one of the outbreak and have been existing for nearly 30+ years or both characters exist within the same timeframe.

Why would being "open minded" be about this specific character who is rumored to be Ellie's mom?

I want some time for Joel in this game as well.... but who knows, I'm really worried that the game rams its agenda in the face trying to be moralistic to all white people.... Sorry I am neither christian, nor anything close to join a white supremacist group, I'm just over the constant preaching and attacking religious people (Christians in particular).

Can we go back to saving princesses?

Why would being "open minded" be about this specific character who is rumored to be Ellie's mom?

I want some time for Joel in this game as well.... but who knows, I'm really worried that the game rams its agenda in the face trying to be moralistic to all white people.... Sorry I am neither christian, nor anything close to join a white supremacist group, I'm just over the constant preaching and attacking religious people (Christians in particular).

Where is any of this coming from? They have shown next to nothing of the game, we know basically nothing of the story and very little about the characters. Where is this preaching you speak of?

mortal

Gold Member
Well I suppose you're right, it's not necessarily true, but it would make absolutely zero fuggin' sense to change it if it was the same character, so...
The actor has been playing a youthful character up to this point, with Ellie still being in her late teens. They could very much decide to cast a different actor for an adult Ellie because a change in the character's demeanor could require a different range in performance.

It's just speculation anyway, which is part of the fun.

Last edited:

Keihart

i hope it's not preachy, you don't need to be preachy to make commentary even.
IF there is some kind of social commentary or something like that, i hope it's tasteful in the sense that it's done with subtlety and not in your face. It should make people have questions and not feel like a lesson by someone who knows better.

Cause maybe it's not her mom and maybe. it's tranny Ellie😐...Trellie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom