• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us 2 teased?

Unlike seemingly everyone else here, I actually think that the universe and characters they created for TLoU are deep enough to support sequels. I also think ND is talented enough to do it right. I also don't believe that its smart for us to expect a massive million copy seller like TLoU could be realistically limited to only a single entry. This is a game with an eagerly anticipated PS4 remaster on the way, by the way. Videogames are still a business and a sequel absolutely makes sense.

So, if TLoU2 is a thing, bring it on. If ND chooses not to tackle that, then I trust their decision to leave the story a one off. At the end of the day, though, I would absolutely love to see more of the world after the infection.
Agreed. I loved exploring the world. I want a squeal just for that.

Crazy that people are actually suggesting Sony cancel one of their biggest franchises with a massive built in fan base (guaranteed sales) just so they can release TLOU2.

Granted that also has been a huge success but that's kind of the point. Release both, please both audiences (teen and mature markets) + the cross-over who enjoy both. The amount of time and money put into UC4 means cancellation is very unlikely.

I think we'll see both. Uncharted 4 will be at E3… maybe TLOU2 will be teased, but it's way to early in my opinion.

Meh, not really hyped. Probably wont come out for another 3 years, even if it is true but besides that, TLOU was a great game. Dont really feel like it needs a sequel however. New IPs plzzz

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I am more inclined to suspect that Uncharted 4 is indeed cancelled.
The Last of Us 2 has taken its place, and if that's the case, then I am perfectly happy with that.
It would possibly mean we're getting 2 IP from Naughty Dog per generation. An established one, and a new one.
I wonder what they're newest IP will be at the end of this generation.

I can see the opening of TLOU 2:

Grown up Ellie and old Joel running form some infected, Ellie about to get cought, Joel push her away and get bitten in the process, Ellie went into full rage mode kills all the infected then help Joel walk to a safe place, Joel asks Ellie to finish him off before he turn into infected, Ellie refuse and start crying, Joel beg her to let him die as a human, Ellie crying so hard hug Joel says how much she love him then BAM *gunshot* Joel is dead

*Black Screen*

Ellie in-front of Joel's grave put some flowers and promise Joel that she will end this.

*Black Screen*

Sony Computer Entertainment
Present

Naughty Dog
Production

The Last of Us

Replace gunshot with a brick though

KORNdoggy

I hope there is a sequel...and i guess people would be starting pre-production work on it now if they intend to release in 2016. So i guess this could be the direction they're heading? An older ellie? Excited either way

LuuKyK

They'll probably have a teaser at E3 along with a new trailer and details on the PS4 version of the original.

Thats what I am expecting too, if this is real, of course. Almost like what Square did with Kingdom Hearts 3 last year. Having a trailer for the sequel while promoting the HD port of the prequel. Its definitely a good way to build hype and boost sales/awareness.

Crazy that people are actually suggesting Sony cancel one of their biggest franchises with a massive built in fan base (guaranteed sales) just so they can release TLOU2.

Granted that also has been a huge success but that's kind of the point. Release both, appease both audiences (teen and mature markets) + the cross-over who enjoy both. The amount of time and money put into UC4 means cancellation is very unlikely.

I think we'll see both. Uncharted 4 will be at E3… maybe TLOU2 will be teased, but it's way to early in my opinion.

Out of all the studios Sony owns, Naughty Dog has the most freedom to do what ever they want.

I wouldn't count out ND telling Sony they are ditching Uncharted to work on The Last of Us, and I'm not sure Sony would be too pissed considering the financial success of their new IP

LuuKyK

Why are we saying UC4 is cancelled?

Isn't that one of Sony's most popular franchises?

Because people are clueless. ND has two "teams" and they are more than capable of producing two games at once, even if in different paces (or whatever you want to call it).

Freeman

Banned
The Last of Them, story starts at a point where infected are uncommon, humanity has learned how to deal with them and its at a more advanced stage of rebuilding. Old man Joel is a drunk that is in charge of a small town after his brother died. You play as Ellie trying to do something that I have no creativity to come up with, at this point she is the leader of the new Fireflies.

Out of all the studios Sony owns, Naughty Dog has the most freedom to do what ever they want.

I wouldn't count out ND telling Sony they are ditching Uncharted to work on The Last of Us, and I'm not sure Sony would be too pissed considering the financial success of their new IP

Sony would be pretty pissed to be getting say 3 million sales instead of 6 million. Not to mention throwing away years of work and pissing off a fan base expecting the game after it's announcement a few months ago.

And just to be clear, I'm anticipating a Last of Us sequel more than another Uncharted game. Just being realistic and thinking with a business head.

kirblar

Why are we saying UC4 is cancelled?

Isn't that one of Sony's most popular franchises?
Many of the high-ranking staff members who were working on the game have left Naughty Dog in the past few months. Cancellation is absurdly unlikely, but the game's clearly getting sent back to the drawing board to some degree.

galvenize

The picture that sparked a thousand theories.

From
"The last of us PS4"
to
"It's TLOU 2"
to
"Uncharted 4 cancelled"

images

Sony would be pretty pissed to be getting say 3 million sales instead of 6 million. Not to mention throwing away years of work and pissing off a fan base expecting the game after it's announcement a few months ago.

It's also not like Uncharted can't be headed by a different studio. Naughty Dog has created four franchises and stopped developing them when they wanted to stop, Sony just sends other studios to continue them for as long as they wish.

Uncharted as a franchise won't die because Naughty Dog wants to move on, but there is a very real possibility that Naughty Dog is moving on.

Gorillaz

I like the theory that its her mom being a traveling musican trying to make some money in this sad cold world

The musicans of us.

We'll until Sony or NaughtyDog say other wise. The game is still on track. Saying a game is canceled is a good way to spread bad rumors.

daveo42

Banned
Noooo, not TLoU 2. Some games just don't need a sequel. Leave it be Naughty Dogs, leave it be.

Damn straight. TLoU doesn't need a sequel. Please don't make it Naughty Dog! In the least, don't make it a direct sequel with Ellie. Give us another story from the world you guys made.

McLovin

Grown up Ellie and old Joel running form some infected, Ellie about to get cought, Joel push her away and get bitten in the process, Ellie went into full rage mode kills all the infected then help Joel walk to a safe place, Joel asks Ellie to finish him off before he turn into infected, Ellie refuse and start crying, Joel beg her to let him die as a human, Ellie crying so hard hug Joel says how much she love him then BAM *gunshot* Joel is dead

*Black Screen*

Ellie in-front of Joel's grave put some flowers and promise Joel that she will end this.

*Black Screen*

Present

Naughty Dog
Production

The Last of Us
Ellie gets pregnant by some random dude, but the baby didn't inherit her immunity. Plant baby busts out her guts, blood everywhere!
*Black Screen*

Present

Naughty Dog
Production

The Last of Us

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
E3 will have ND talk about TLOU PS4, then announce TLOU2 for a near future release.
*fingers crossed*.

braves01

Banned
The picture that sparked a thousand theories.

Uncharted/TLoU crossover. Ellie discovers Nathan Drake is who released the plague upon mankind, frees him from some mystical prison she accidentally discovers, and they team up to defeat Sully who became the original host of the plague. Also Joel is a fungus now and Drake transfers some mystical healing power he has to Joel, thereby sacrificing himself as atonement for unleashing the plague in his pursuit of treasure.

KorrZ

I doubt UC4 would be cancelled but that doesn't necessarily mean that it might not have been pushed back, with focus and resources diverted to getting a Last of Us sequel off the ground quicker.

It would be a sensible reason for the departure of Amy Hennig and Justin Richmond.

Maybe now we have TLOU2 2015/UC4 2016 rather than the other way around as may have been originally intended.

I really, really don't wan't a sequel, felt perfect to me as a one-off self-contained game[/SPOILER]
well millions of people are thrilled you aren't directing the game...

what is up with gafs obsession with things being "perfect"? Didn't uncharted 2 improve on just about everything from the first...if anything, a sequel would have much more fleshed out gsmeplay and mechanics so the story has a good chance of being even more amazing because the core game is familiar...

its like half of gaf wants to bottle up the first game in a little jar all to themselves so they can come home to there "precious" everyday. It didn't end perfectly, if there's more story to tell, there more story to tell, period...if you've had enough of Joel and Ellie, skip it...

It's also not like Uncharted can't be headed by a different studio. Naughty Dog has created four franchises and stopped developing them when they wanted to stop, Sony just sends other studios to continue them for as long as they wish.

Uncharted as a franchise won't die because Naughty Dog wants to move on, but there is a very real possibility that Naughty Dog is moving on.

I'd agree if they hadn't already poured nearly three years work and money into the game and announced it less than 6 months ago. You don't announce a game and then cancel it a few months later - if the project was seriously troubled Sony and Naughty Dog would have held off the announcement.

It's true that after UC4 a new studio will very likely head up the next instalment though, yes. Perhaps Bend.

*Black Screen*

*Black Screen*

Present

Naughty Dog
Production

The Last of Us

Sounds awesome

ascii42

True, Bend has proven themselves capable of making an Uncharted game.

Ellie gets pregnant by some random dude, but the baby didn't inherit her immunity. Plant baby busts out her guts, blood everywhere!
*Black Screen*

Present

Naughty Dog
Production

The Last of Us
You're joking now, but Ellie's immunity/infection could have some strange effects on any future children she might have. That could actually lead to some great stories.

Top Bottom