• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 - Amazon UK seems to have revealed by mistake the release date in advance

D.Final

Banned
A few minutes ago news from Reddit.
It seems that someone has noticed a date incorrectly released in advance by Amazon UK.
(May 23, 2020)

hIbHZlv.png

No information is currently available.
Just a screenshot of the page change.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if true then i'll be way too busy playing Cyberpunk to even think about this.

When was the game first revealed to the public? PSX 2017?
Damn, that's a lot of time in the oven.
December 2016 it was announced.

i was excited for it back then but it's been nearly 3 years. yawn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
if true then i'll be way too busy playing Cyberpunk to even think about this.

December 2016 it was announced.

i was excited for it back then but it's been nearly 3 years. yawn.
That's 5 weeks apart.
Plenty of time to have Cyberpunk finished by that.

Isa

I could swear this date was already announced or leaked. And since the GoW date leaks turned out true I had assumed this was mostly true too. Ah well, official confirmation never hurts. Can't say I'm excited but I will be interested to see how the mp pans out should they have it this time around. It was intense, violent and fun. Can't wait to get my stinky lesbian on.

D.Final

Banned
There's no way this isn't cross-gen with it releasing that close to PS5 launch.

It will certainly be cross gen.
Although, the concept of "cross gen" will be different with the next generation.
Because PS4 games will still be backwards compatible on PS5.
(if Sony can achieve complete physical backward compatibility on PS5)

Iced Arcade

1 of my most anticipated games but end of may... I may wait to experience it 1st on the PS5. no way they don't have an updated version for the 5.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That release date is on a Saturday which isn't going to happen. I'm still sticking with my June 2020 prediction. Kept seeing all these "leaked release dates" earlier in the year with Ghost of Tsushima as well as TLOUP2 and it turned out to be Death Stranding as the late 2019 game. I'm going with another swerve and sticking with Ghost of Tsushima as the February 2020 game.

D.Final

Banned
That release date is on a Saturday which isn't going to happen. I'm still sticking with my June 2020 prediction. Kept seeing all these "leaked release dates" earlier in the year with Ghost of Tsushima as well as TLOUP2 and it turned out to be Death Stranding as the late 2019 game. I'm going with another swerve and sticking with Ghost of Tsushima as the February 2020 game.

I don't think Ghost of Tsushima can really come out in February.
Because on this game we probably have less information than we had on The Last of Us Part 2.
(and TloU2 will have its official marketing start right next week with the State of Play)

I do not believe that Sony, even though there is also Death Stranding to be launched soon, wants to speed up the times too quickly.
(otherwise, by the end of 2020, they really have nothing to launch)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Ghost of Tsushima can really come out in February.
Because on this game we probably have less information than we had on The Last of Us Part 2.
(and TloU2 will have its official marketing start right next week with the State of Play)

I do not believe that Sony, even though there is also Death Stranding to be launched soon, wants to speed up the times too quickly.
(otherwise, by the end of 2020, they really have nothing to launch)

Perhaps but they would have something to launch at the end of 2020 - PlayStation 5. The Last of Us was the swan song for PS3 and simply see Part 2 as repeating the process. It worked great and would easily work again because what better way to get hyped for PlayStation 5 than having arguably the game of the generation as the swan song for PS4 leading into PS5?

Also, Ghost of Tsushima in February 2020 and TLOUP2 in June 2020 isn't really speeding them up. It's simply concluding one generation almost seven years in at that point and starting the next generation.

D.Final

Banned
Perhaps but they would have something to launch at the end of 2020 - PlayStation 5. The Last of Us was the swan song for PS3 and simply see Part 2 as repeating the process. It worked great and would easily work again because what better way to get hyped for PlayStation 5 than having arguably the game of the generation as the swan song for PS4 leading into PS5?

Also, Ghost of Tsushima in February 2020 and TLOUP2 in June 2020 isn't really speeding them up. It's simply concluding one generation almost seven years in at that point and starting the next generation.

Yes, but if you consider that TLoU2 will probably receive a release date as early as next week, I find it difficult for Ghost of Tsushima to receive a release date closer to February, to keep TLoU2 as the last exclusive PS4 game making it come out between June and November 2020.

Then if there are chances that both games are present at the next State of Play, in the end, that's fine by me.
Because even if they both get improvements in their PS5 outfits, I'll play them first on PS4.
(hoping they don't have big technical and framerate difficulties on the current PS4)

JimmyJones

Banned
Watching John Carmack talking about Rage on Joe Rogan made me think of this game. It’s been in development for so long they run the risk of it being outdated.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Final Fantasty 7: Remake is part of Sony's releses next year. It's not a first party title or an exclusive ( likely timed) so I don't see GoT being relesed until around september next year.

They need time to promotdothe games and its hard to do all 4 within a short period of time.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but if you consider that TLoU2 will probably receive a release date as early as next week, I find it difficult for Ghost of Tsushima to receive a release date closer to February, to keep TLoU2 as the last exclusive PS4 game making it come out between June and November 2020.

Then if there are chances that both games are present at the next State of Play, in the end, that's fine by me.
Because even if they both get improvements in their PS5 outfits, I'll play them first on PS4.
(hoping they don't have big technical and framerate difficulties on the current PS4)

I think that if TLOUP2 is shown to start the State of Play stream, then I see "2020" as being listed. If it's at the end/last, then I can see the release date being announced. Also depends on where Ghost of Tsushima is being shown. Is it in the beginning or the end. I see being shown at the beginning as further out and the ending as being closer to release. Two more days and we'll know for sure. Of course, even if it gets a February 2020 release date, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a few month delay.

Dane

Wasn't this February and May release dates rumored months ago? I'm start to think they are actually marketing ploys, the real release date could be anything, even a june one to coincide with the first game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ellie's girlfriend wears the bracelet in the trailer, but when Ellie is cutting that man's neck, its around her wrist.

I think Ellie's story is going to be about getting revenge.

But there's also Anna, Ellie's mother. I think we're going to see her fight to keep Ellie alive and maybe find out about her father and how she "really" died.

The people who killed Ellie's GF and who tried to kill Ellie's mother are connected.

This is just speculation, of course. But think we're going to see a story trailer with gameplay of Anna fighting the clickers.

Would be f'ed up if Joel killed Ellie's mother years ago by accident lol

rəddəM

Ellie's girlfriend wears the bracelet in the trailer, but when Ellie is cutting that man's neck, its around her wrist.

But there's also Anna, Ellie's mother. I think we're going to see her fight to keep Ellie alive and maybe find out about her father and how she "really" died.

The people who killed Ellie's GF and who tried to kill Ellie's mother are connected.

This is just speculation, of course. But think we're going to see a story trailer with gameplay of Anna fighting the clickers.

Would be f'ed up if Joel killed Ellie's mother years ago by accident lol
I gotta feeling this cult is even more sinister than what was shown and supposing the second trailer's woman is indeed Ellie's mom, they actually might have killed her.
This cult might be so fucked up that they really fuck up Ellie's mind in this one.
Extremist religious group that gut everyone who doesn't or don't want to belong is actually pretty relatable. Weird they didn't thought of it in the first one.

D.Final

Banned
Wasn't this February and May release dates rumored months ago? I'm start to think they are actually marketing ploys, the real release date could be anything, even a june one to coincide with the first game.

This too can be a hypothesis.

Geki-D

Banned

Indeed, it's almost like there was actually a reason to establish these two characters are romantically involved because it'll play a big part in the overarching plot. What a surprise.

I don't think that other character is Ellie's mom, however.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
They need time to promotdothe games and its hard to do all 4 within a short period of time.

I also think that for a game like The Last of Us Part 2 a long marketing campaign is needed, which will cover the course of a whole year (2020) until the official launch of PS5.
(and The Last of Us Part 2, along with Ghost of Tsushima, are the perfect games to push the first PS5 sales during 2020)

D.Final

Banned
I'm surprised they aren't tying it up to PS5 release.

I am sure that The Last of Us Part 2 will be much publicized for PS5 in the Playstation Meeting 2020 in February.
(always with Ghost of Tsushima)
Even with probably promotional bundle PS5 + The Last of Us Part 2.

Woodchipper

The first game was released like 5 months before the PS4 launch, right? And that’s considered by many, including myself, to be one of the best games of all time, so I don’t see the problem here.

joe_zazen

The first game was released like 5 months before the PS4 launch, right? And that’s considered by many, including myself, to be one of the best games of all time, so I don’t see the problem here.

Some people will have to wait to play it it in best possible way on ps5, and probably get spoiled if they do. But hey, sony wants that double dip money.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Some people will have to wait to play it it in best possible way on ps5, and probably get spoiled if they do. But hey, sony wants that double dip money.
They don’t have to wait for anything, except for the game to be released. The fact that the next generation console is around the corner is not gonna take anything away from the game. And if you think about it for a second, you’ll realize that NOT releasing The Last of Us Part II on PS4 would be among the biggest fan betrayals in gaming history. Just think of how many fans that already owns a PS4 and have been waiting for this game the past 3 years. Even I, who will probably get a PS5 day one, would be outraged.

Edit: Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo 7 and possibly Horizon Zero Dawn 2 would be good launch/early PS5 titles, but not TLoU 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom