• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PC Port finally fixed? New patch fixes VRAM, RAM and CPU usage.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The stutters were mostly fixed in the last patch, but this patch does wonders when it comes to reducing vram usage. I can now use ultra textures on a 10GB card. 8GB cards should be able to use much higher quality textures and settings now.

The video below shows how they have cut down the shader compilation time from 32 minutes to 23. They have reduced the size of compiled shaders from 11GB to just 2.5 GB. The loading times are now halved. The CPU usage is lower with better 1% performance leading to a much more smoother experience. I honestly couldnt get the fps to drop below 59 fps even in 0.1% low scenarios. It is probably the smoothest PC game ive played in a while.

They have even added some additional settings to get this game running on lower end hardware. Texture streaming rate increases vram usage by 1GB but if you turn it down, the game smartly streams in data without any pop-in. Other settings include fewer NPCs and wildlife which helps players with weaker CPUs hit a smoother framerate.

Overall, the game is in a really good state. And while, it shouldve shipped in this state, it should be noted that other PC games like Hogwarts, Star Wars, Dead Space, Returnal, and Wulong still have massive stutter issues. This has gone from the worst port I've ever played to the best in a span of 6 weeks. Shame Sony didnt delay it.

bzhHyFl.jpg

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That can't be right. Some Gafers told me that PCs cannot run this game and need cards with 32-64GB of VRAM and PCIe 7.0 SSDs with 21GB/s speeds.

Are you sure these videos aren't just PS5 footage trying to pass off as PC?

Jokes aside, it always ran incredibly well and smooth on my rig but the performance isn't very high compared to the PS5. I'll cut ND some slack on that one because they're one of the most accomplished PS developers so I'm not expecting PC-equivalent hardware to run anywhere near as good as on PS5.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Nice. I wonder at what point the improvements can be considered good enough or excellent. I mean you say "I can now use ultra textures on a 10GB card". Is it possible with enough patches and optimization that 8GB GPUs can have the same settings in the future? Chip away at it patch after patch and achieve it.

Ev1L AuRoN

How about the IQ? They achieve all of that without downgrades. I mean, sure, it's something to be expected, but after the launch I seriously doubt they would achieve that so soon.

SlimySnake

How about the IQ? They achieve all of that without downgrades. I mean, sure, it's something to be expected, but after the launch I seriously doubt they would achieve that so soon.
No downgrades. They have added a couple of settings like Texture Streaming rate, visual effects and character density settings to 'downgrade' the pop-in distance, number of characters on screen and other visual effects, but I have them all set to max on my 3080 11700k system so it's only for lower end hardware.

At launch, even at High Settings I wasnt able to do much with the game, but now i can push all settings to ultra and have a smooth 4k dlss quality 60 fps experience.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm not surprised. It seems they basically treated PC as a PS5 and when they realized "Geez, the memory and system configurations are all totally different". Then they went to work and configured it like a PC game and it's magically a massive improvement.

Braag

Please tell me it's Nixxes doing those fixes and not ND
I actually hope it's ND since it shows they are learning.
Or maybe Sony really did force them to release it early because of the show. If they had delayed it couple of months and released it in this state (which still isn't perfect) there might have not been a backlash.

SlimySnake

Please tell me it's Nixxes doing those fixes and not ND
Most likely Iron Galaxy since they were brought in at the very end to get this game shipped. Their PC knowledge is likely responsible for these vram, cpu and ram fixes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The stutters were mostly fixed in the last patch, but this patch does wonders when it comes to reducing vram usage. I can now use ultra textures on a 10GB card. 8GB cards should be able to use much higher quality textures and settings now.

The video below shows how they have cut down the shader compilation time from 32 minutes to 23. They have reduced the size of compiled shaders from 11GB to just 2.5 GB. The loading times are now halved. The CPU usage is lower with better 1% performance leading to a much more smoother experience. I honestly couldnt get the fps to drop below 59 fps even in 0.1% low scenarios. It is probably the smoothest PC game ive played in a while.

They have even added some additional settings to get this game running on lower end hardware. Texture streaming rate increases vram usage by 1GB but if you turn it down, the game smartly streams in data without any pop-in. Other settings include fewer NPCs and wildlife which helps players with weaker CPUs hit a smoother framerate.

Overall, the game is in a really good state. And while, it shouldve shipped in this state, it should be noted that other PC games like Hogwarts, Star Wars, Dead Space, Returnal, and Wulong still have massive stutter issues. This has gone from the worst port I've ever played to the best in a span of 6 weeks. Shame Sony didnt delay it.

bzhHyFl.jpg

Imagine waitin 20+ minutes for shaders to compile

SlimySnake

Imagine waitin 20+ minutes for shaders to compile
TBH, id rather do that then 2 minutes every time i boot up hogwarts or star wars.

Also, depends on your cpu. it finished in just over 10 minutes on my system.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Imagine playing this at 30 fps at 4K 😉
eh 4k is overrated, sacrifice too much performance imo.
I always game on performance mode and has absolutely no issue, but then my monitor is just 32 inch.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's still not there. Multiple people reporting visual bugs, textures not loading etc. etc. I'd say if they'll continue polish the game then maybe by the end of the year it'll actually be worth buying on PC.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Still way too demanding for what it offers.

But i guess the standards are so low that at this state it's considered good enough, move along, nothing else to see here.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

bzhHyFl.jpg

2nd PC Grounded playthrough is coming, but WTF @getting rid of difficulty trophies....wtf...

PeteBull

Can people with a 1080 play this at 1080p yet?

Here u got it tested on few older/lowrange/midrange gpu's and here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839 comparision of gtx 1080 vs those cards, as u can see gtx 1080 is 16% stronger from 3050 8gigs so that would be best comparision of how game looks/runs, but even old and weak gtx 1060 can run it okish provided u reduce settings accordingly- game doesnt look terrible on it either.

Zathalus

You have to do it every time you got new drivers or reset nvcp settings too
Yeah, but realistically how many times would you do that for a playthrough? I'll pick this up in a few months when it's patched to be even better, let the shader compilation run once for 10 minutes, finish the game and then likely never touch it again, or at least for a very long time.

Hopefully they can reduce that 10 minute compilation even further as it's excessive compared to literally any other game that does it.

Rossco EZ

might give this a play through over the weekend now, got it with my gpu purchase but held off as heard they was issues

Top Bottom