• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatDude

Banned
How does Metacritic determine how many reviews it uses?

22 Review for Arkham City, 108 for Uncharted 2 and 53 currently for The Last of Us.

It makes no sense to me. Could someone explain this?

Um 22 reviews are specifically for the PC version.

The 360 version has 87 reviews, the PS3 version has 44 reviews. The discrepency is because there were less ps3 reviewer sites, than the 360 review sites.

Also, it won't stay at 53 reviews. There will probably be 50+ more reviews until it's all said and done, meaning the score still has a chance to go up or down till then.

Mileena

Banned
?

so on the one hand you have a game where everyone's constantly killing each other in a post apocalyptic future and everyone's ripping heads off as if they were nothing

and in the other hand you have a game that depicts a more realistic looking world with more common interactions and something that feels closer to the real world in general with an emphasis on relatable non-violent characters, and suddenly violence happens

in wich case do you think violence might surprise you/unsettle you more?

im not saying anything against the game dude, im speaking in general and explaining why some people might be surprised at the violence

Neither, but I guess I'm just used to that after 15+ years of playing (violent) games. The notion that violence is "accepted" in GoW/Gears but not TLoU because it looks more realistic just seems absurd, THEY'RE ALL FAKE!

Robot Pants

Mother of God these review scores. I was always planning on getting the game anyway, but now I'm hyped as fuck.

I bet my local store that breaks dates all the time has it right now...

Boss Man

I want to start reading some of these reviews because I'm not really sold on the game yet. I recognize the Uncharted series as high-quality, well designed games but I don't particularly enjoy them. I'm hesitant to spoil what could be an incredible game though, are there any reviews that I should be mindful of because of spoilers?

I like reviews that talk about fundamentals, not "This game is awesome and here are the things that you do in the game. Visceral, great graphics push to the edge, 10/10." EDGE's comments about how games tend to fall into fan service and ruin the narrative are an example of the things that I like to read in a review.

J-Rzez

Kept my media blackout rolling on this game, and I'm glad I did. At least this console gen is going out with a bang for me.

That's funny with the Polygon debate though. People want them banned for like Kotaku reasons, not for their "reviews". It's a shame though, because Polygon could have actually turned out to be something special.

Fixed1979

Not gonna lie, I lol'd.

Crazy how serious people take reviews. Some dudes seriously want Polygon banned from GAF? Crazy!

Why is that crazy, they certainly don't deserve to be banned for a low review but they have a long and history of shadiness.

Salsa

Neither, but I guess I'm just used to that after 15+ years of playing (violent) games. The notion that violence is "accepted" in GoW/Gears but not TLoU because it looks more realistic just seems absurd, THEY'RE ALL FAKE!

? im not saying it's not accepted, im saying it's more left field and portrayed in a different manner in a different context; that's why people point it out

the fact that it's fake has nothing to do with it? I dont know if im making myself clear/you're getting what im trying to say

this is completely independent on my or anyone's opinion on the game itself

Amir0x

Banned
Eurogamer made me smile with this:

It's the gameplay that clicks first, which will come as a pleasant surprise to those left cold by the shallow, breezy spectacle of Naughty Dog's rollicking Uncharted games - especially the borderline incoherent smoke-and-mirrors of Uncharted 3. The Last of Us is made by a different team and is a very different beast. It's purposeful and mean, with lean meat on its bones.

Blending stealth, cover shooting and survival horror styles, the game gives you lots of options and then pushes you to experiment with all of them by limiting your resources. Ammo is quite scarce, and so is everything else. You really feel like a survivor as you constantly scour the shattered and overgrown landscape for tape, alcohol, scissor blades or fertiliser to dress your wounds or improvise a shiv or a nail bomb. Scavenging and crafting may be de rigueur these days, but they've seldom made as much thematic sense, or tied as tightly into the action, as they do here.

YISS. This is the type of thing I want to keep hearing to raise my confidence level even further about Last of Us. Enough people say it's far deeper and challenging than any Uncharted game with real pure game design and not handholding and BS, it just might be true :D

Salsa

i've got this weird feeling i know how this game ends, i dont like this feel can somebody take it from me

someone dies and it's very touching and everyone cries drops the controller and claps

that's my guess anyway

not knocking it, but I can feel it

? im not saying it's not accepted, im saying it's more left field and portrayed in a different manner in a different context; that's why people point it out

the fact that it's fake has nothing to do with it? I dont know if im making myself clear/you're getting what im trying to say

If it makes you feel better, I really don't understand why people are not able to comprehend this point you are making. It seems like a reasonable enough statement...

DoomGyver

I'm not reading any TLOU media, could someone explain to me the difficulty levels, the plus mode and do I have to play Hard+ to unlock survivor?

Mileena

Banned

yea I just don't get your argument I guess. I don't see how Kratos ripping a dudes head off is ok (it's totally ok) but TLoU guy smashing a zombies face with a brick is not ok. I still love u

I'm not reading any TLOU media, could someone explain to me the difficulty levels, the plus mode and do I have to play Hard+ to unlock survivor?

you probably have to beat the game on hard to unlock survivor mode. The demo was extremely difficult on hard, I would only recommend it to the most hardcore gamers. I died 15 times in the last area with 5 clickers :p

iNvid02

someone dies and it's very touching and everyone cries drops the controller and claps

that's my guess anyway

not knocking it, but I can feel it

if we're free to post speculation in here

joel must kill elle, she dies in his arms
joel commits suicide shortly afterwards

gryz

Banned
honestly I didn't care about this game that much, and I usually don't care much about review scores, but now I kinda wanna see what the fuss is all about

Salsa

yea I just don't get your argument I guess. I don't see how Kratos ripping a dudes head off is ok (it's totally ok) but TLoU guy smashing a zombies face with a brick is not ok. I still love u

dood im not saying one's ok and one isnt, and I dont think anyone's saying that. Im saying in one game is not as shocking since it feels much more dettached because of the foreign context and because of how violence is so commonly portrayed in that game's world, and how it is the opposite in TLOU's case.

It's a bit more unsettling to see more realistic looking/portrayed characters getting their heads chopped off than a weird demi-god monster

It's totally fine in both

DatDude

Banned
you probably have to beat the game on hard to unlock survivor mode. The demo was extremely difficult on hard, I would only recommend it to the most hardcore gamers. I died 15 times in the last area with 5 clickers :p

Is that confirmed? I would prefer to go on survivor mode right from the shoot.

jtb

Banned
dood im not saying one's ok and one isnt, and I dont think anyone's saying that. Im saying in one game is not as shocking since it feels much more dettached because of the foreign context and because of how violence is so commonly portrayed in that game's world, and how it is the opposite in TLOU's case.

It's totally fine in both

Your point makes complete sense. Context matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom