• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Sales Exceed 3.4 Million Units Worldwide (PR)

I-hate-u

With God of War seemingly fading a way, it seems that their biggest sellers are now Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and the Last of Us.

Maybe the ps4's launch window can elevate Killzone and Infamous to similar levels.

God of War and Little Big Planet are big sellers for Sony as well.

I don't understand this at all. How is God of War fading away? Didn't III and the Collections sell a lot?

Also, The Last of Us deserves its success. Brilliant game.

Well Ascensions kinda sold like shit, but then again it wasn't a numbered sequel...

MechaX

I bought it purely on a whim on launch day despite not really liking the Uncharted series all that much.

The game is not absolutely perfect, but I do think it deserved these sales.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hurray! I can see the game having some serious legs. It'll at least crack 6 million by the end of the year.
That sounds absolutely unjustifiably optimistic. Console game sales are very front-loaded for the majority of titles.

amar212

I really hope this will turn some producer/publisher heads to show the true prospect for more mature and complex gaming.

With God of War seemingly fading a way, it seems that their biggest sellers are now Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and the Last of Us.

Maybe the ps4's launch window can elevate Killzone and Infamous to similar levels.

Eh, maybe. I think Ascension was classic franchise fatigue though. Give it a few years and bring it back strong on ps4.

Fezan

I don't understand this at all. How is God of War fading away? Didn't III and the Collections sell a lot?

Also, The Last of Us deserves its success. Brilliant game.

Yes GOW sells a lot. even Acencion did 600k+ in NPD andis constantly in euro chart

One month. Came out March 5. Was declared a 3.4 million sales disappointment before April.

Those were probably shipped number (SE over shipped TR a lot hence price drop so soon )

Seems like the first PS3 exclusive game getting this level of boost (EDIT: LOL! It somewhat says that in the first line) Its always COD, Halo or Gears getting these PRs with millions attached to it.

Well deserved. Great game, great advertisement, great sale.

God of war (main series), GT, and uncharted get about those numbers. GT is the only one that can outsell halo though and that's through very good long term sales.

Gorillaz

damn son....
wee-bey-gif.gif

I thought it was just a million....

Mik_Pad

Banned
That sounds absolutely unjustifiably optimistic. Console game sales are very front-loaded for the majority of titles.
Doesn't seem unreasonable considering Uncharted 2 and 3 seem to be around those numbers and TLOU seems to be selling as good as those so far.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome. Hope they sell even more as time goes on.

Absolutely amazing work by Naughty Dog.

BigDug13

Well the industry is full of sequels so this is mostly true. But a new IP with lots of buzz and word of mouth might get later sales. But yeah, probably not the numbers he described.

Moonstone

Decent for a platform exclusive. Should have sold more based on the critical praise :(

It' still selling and it's summer. Christmas is yet to come. And those 3.4 million are at full price. Even in UK it's still at 40 pounds. The game will have huge legs, it's not a Halo where all multiplayer dudes buy it on day one.

Eusis

Impressive.

That's still a series averaging around 5-6 million copies on the newer entries.

I'm sure you'll be buried in it for a long, long time.
Although I kinda liked the idea of just 3 big entries and calling it a day, though that was kinda forced on them with Crash due to the details of the Universal deal that made Crash go from PS1 mascot to generic mascot appearing on every platform. It's almost like some bizarre variation on Sonic where SONIC (and... uhh... Ristar?) went multiplatform while everything else of Sega's stayed exclusive.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This is 3 weeks of sales. I presume word of mouth will give it some tail, so it'll probably pass 4 million sales LTD when all is said and done.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Have no doubt it is selling well, but sell-in refers to copies sold to retailers rather than sold through which refers to copies sold to consumers.

It' still selling and it's summer. Christmas is yet to come. And those 3.4 million are at full price. Even in UK it's still at 40 pounds. The game will have huge legs, it's not a Halo where all multiplayer dudes buy it on day one.

I don't think it will have great legs. It'll just get bundled in with a high priced PS3 this holiday and that'll be it.

Good stuff. Just beat it yesterday; well deserved.
Took me a week to get it actually because it was sold out everywhere I looked!

I-hate-u

This is 3 weeks of sales. I presume word of mouth will give it some tail, so it'll probably pass 4 million sales LTD when all is said and done.

it will probably be at 4 million heading into the holidays. After the holidays I bet it will fluctuate around 6-7 million depending on how Sony pushes the game this winter.

someday

Banned
ND is easily my favorite studio. This game deserves all the praise it's getting and hopefully even more people will buy it and enjoy it.

For context sake, when The Last of Us debuted in the UK, it was the biggest debut of a new IP since LA Noire two years ago (though for the sake of balance and to not look like a rabbid fanboy, it's still the third biggest-selling game in the UK this year behind BioShock Infinite or Tomb Raider but it's lasted longer in the No1 spot than Infinite or Dead Island which had the longest consecutive reigns so far this year for a new release with three weeks each until TLOU). Really, Naughty Dog has cracked it.

Top Bottom