• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last two Simpsons episodes have been really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
So I've just started watching The Simpsons and am almost done with the first season. At what point does the show start getting bad?

A lot of people consider the 9th season the point where it jumped the shark, but it doesn't start getting really bad until a season after. Your mileage may vary. 1 through 8 are all must watch.

While watching the Halloween episode I thought maybe the Simpsons would be better off scrapping the traditional multiple episode season and just focused on a handful of event episodes over the year. Look forward to 6 really good episodes scattered throughout the course of the year as opposed to hoping there's a few good episodes in every 22.

UberTag

Halloween of Horror was excellent. Easily one of the best episodes of the HD era. You can find a bunch of glowing reviews of this episode in the Season 27 OT.
(For the poster above me, that's Season 27, Episode 4 incidentally.)

Puffless I wasn't that impressed with. Maggie focus notwithstanding, her past segments have been handled better than her critter invasion of the Spucklers was. And the "butt out" plot was disposable with some extensive instances of unnatural dialogue to force the narrative along to its inevitable status quo reset. That said, it has received a pretty wide breadth of comments... some people love it, some people don't care for it. One thing I will say is that if you haven't watched The Longest Daycare (which was Oscar-nominated and I highly recommend), Puffless might seem more fresh.

So I've just started watching The Simpsons and am almost done with the first season. At what point does the show start getting bad?
This is actually an easy question to answer. Mike Scully took over as showrunner of the series during Season 9 and what was an amazingly high standard of consistent quality took a serious nosedive once he did. The reason why Season 9 still boasts a handful of excellent episodes is that holdover episodes that were produced during Seasons 7 & 8 that failed to get slotted into the schedule were aired sporadically alongside the Scully episodes.

That's another reason why episodes like Halloween of Horror and Steal This Episode (the censorship episode from two years ago) stand out from the pack. They had a different showrunner than Al Jean (who has been large and in charge since Season 13).

Never understood the fascination around "Spider Pig", the whole thing about it was fucking stupid and couldn't believe why it was so "goddamn hilarious".
Spider Pig cameos do nothing for me. He did very little for me in the movie for that matter.
He's not even the best pet Homer ever had. That would be Pinchy.

Father-daughter moments between Homer and Lisa are not only great, but pretty much the only moments Lisa is tolerable anymore.

One of my fave moments in "recent" simpsons that is like this, is when Homer and Lisa are reading that Harry Potter knockoff and Homer finds out his fave character dies, fearing Lisa would be upset he changes the ending while reading to Lisa so the book ends in a happier note. After homer leaves Lisa pulls the book and reads the real ending and says "Dad's ending was better", i think it was the sweetest thing and im glad to hear that version of Lisa is getting screen time again.
Glad that you cited the subplot to The Haw-Hawed Couple. Yeah, the Homer-Lisa dynamic there was superb.
And that episode was written by Matt Selman. The guy who showran Halloween of Horror. The best Homer-Lisa episode in over a decade.
This is no coincidence.

It's kind of like the tree falling in the woods scenario. If no one watches The Simpsons because it's not funny anymore, but a good episode of The Simpsons is released, how will we know it's good?
Simple answer to that. We have a thread like this made to share the news. Those of us who sift through the trash heap of modern-day Simpsons for precious gems like to share their treasures once they make themselves known.

That said, while I share EdReedFan20's enthusiasm for this episode, did he really have to give away almost the entirety of the plot in his post?

Just watched the Halloween episode. It was pretty good, got a few solid chuckles out of it ("Happy Halloween" turning to "UNhappy Halloween," Homer's "They took my cellphone! They forgot to pay my phone bill!", Homer's "Don't tell Old Man Squishy though, we HATE HIM" and a couple others). I'd give it like a 4/5.

The song and dance routine felt a little strained but the actual episode was excellent!
Didn't see the previous one but the season opening episode where they were seeing different people was absolute trash of the highest order!

trinest

No the quitting smoking one could of been good, but returned to status quo and basically ripped off previous episodes which did the same thing.

Only this weeks was a pure joy, an expression of the old ways.

Because of this thread I watched Puffed last night, it was pretty good. And "pretty good" is essentially god-tier these days. So I'll look forward to the next episode and maybe give this season a chance. Maybe.

BKSmash

I couldn't agree more! Especially the halloween episode from 3 days ago, my mind was blown how good it actually was. I sat there smiling like an idiot during the entire thing.

Dishwalla

Banned
The Halloween episode was pretty good, although some of the voice acting is really getting bad now, Marge and Moe in particular sounded awful in the episode.

UberTag

The Halloween episode was pretty good, although some of the voice acting is really getting bad now, Marge and Moe in particular sounded awful in the episode.
In the case of Azaria, I can assure you that's how he was directed to sing Moe's line. Hank has other characters he sings better for (Apu, for instance) but he has exhibited no real issues with his line delivery unless he's directed to read a line a certain way.

Kavner is a different story. Julie's Marge has been getting rougher over the years. At first, it largely varied based on the direction but now her delivery is showing real weakness even when an episode is otherwise directed well. I think this is a case of where we need to temper our expectations. She's 65. She can't defy age. She's getting paid substantially more than the person that's directing her in the booth. They're not going to make her read a line back 20 times until they get the one take the engineer can salvage.

That said, even though she was still rough throughout Halloween of Horror, I did really enjoy her read of "Who wants to be a yoda? YOU want to be a yoda!" when she was talking to Santa's Little Helper in the opening scene. That was very cute.

For those of you who enjoyed Halloween of Horror and want to keep tabs on the rest of the season, be sure to check out the Season 27 OT.

Ahasverus

So can we show this to fox as proof that Al Jean needs to go away? Please. It's ALWAYS not his episodes that are the high point of the series.

MrBadger

Spider Pig cameos do nothing for me. He did very little for me in the movie for that matter.
He's not even the best pet Homer ever had. That would be Pinchy.

Me neither. I always thought we weren't meant to like the pig, since he replaces Bart and the last time we see him in the movie is when he pushes the family to their deaths

Standard question for these Simpsons threads:

Is there a recommended watch list for the actually great episodes released since, say, season 10?

kirby_fox

Banned
The show has always had good and bad episodes. What I have noticed about this season and a little bit of last season is that they're moving back towards having plots that only make sense for a cartoon. For awhile they held onto a lot more realistic plots, even the awful story of Moe's rag felt rooted in realism.

Watched the smoking one, gave up after the one-two-three of "Assisted Suicide Kit", Jacqueline's house being burned to the ground, and the Maggie S.I.D.S joke. Not offensive, just not The Simpsons.

If I had one criticism for the Halloween episode, it was the joke at the end about Wiggum telling them about 99 Cent stores and their reaction. It seemed too much of a joke from the late 90's-mid 00's era. To me, it sort of removed the threat they genuinely posed to Homer and Lisa. I personally did not expect the show to actually present them as a real threat. When they vowed revenge to Homer, I thought it would be something "Simpsony" and not actually break into the house to do whatever they were planning to do to Homer. I just wished the ending joke wasn't there as they come off as harmless instead.

Watched the smoking one, gave up after the one-two-three of "Assisted Suicide Kit", Jacqueline's house being burned to the ground, and the Maggie S.I.D.S joke. Not offensive, just not The Simpsons.

I thought the main story was fine. I really enjoyed the Maggie subplot. They created this "cartoony" sheen for the Maggie section that added a bit of whimsy. The subtitles for the animals were fun. I thought the stuff with Cletus' family was fun (and the reaction of Duffman when he finds that his parrot is parroting Cletus).

He totally is.

And if not, he should be. Checked out the Halloween episode yesterday, and I can confirm the OP's judgment is legit, helluva polished episode, plenty entertaining, visually dynamic, and with a great focus on characterization seldom seen nowadays.

Halloween of Horror was fucking legit.

One of the greatest songs of the later seasons, too.

Standard question for these Simpsons threads:

Is there a recommended watch list for the actually great episodes released since, say, season 10?

IGN just posted this list weeks ago that is the top 10 episodes of Season 12 through Season 26 (it was posted just before Season 27 premiered): The Top 10 Simpsons Episodes... From More Recent Years. I'm fairly certain the Halloween episode would be on the list, maybe towards the top if they included Season 27.

The new list is the follow up to their first list which was the top 25 episodes of Season 1 through Season 11: The Top 25 Simpsons Episodes

UberTag

IGN just posted this list weeks ago that is the top 10 episodes of Season 12 through Season 26 (it was posted just before Season 27 premiered): The Top 10 Simpsons Episodes... From More Recent Years. I'm fairly certain the Halloween episode would be on the list, maybe towards the top if they included Season 27.
I can vouch for all of these episodes being anywhere from decent to great. IGN played it relatively safe.

I'll toss a quick recommendation for an additional 10 quality episodes they overlooked...
- Trilogy of Error (S12E18)
- I Am Furious (Yellow) (S13E18)
- Moe Baby Blues (S14E22)
- The President Wore Pearls (S15E3)
- I, D'oh-Bot (S15E9)
- Dial 'N' for Nerder (S19E14)
- Treehouse of Horror XX (S21E4)
- The Book Job (S23E6)
- A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again (S23E19)
- I Won't Be Home for Christmas (S26E9)

Toss in Halloween of Horror and you've got yourself a full season's worth of well-received post-classic era Simpsons to enjoy.

No they weren't. Don't lie to me. Don't try and swindle me with your eloquent writing and obfuscating and vague descriptions of "quality" and "humour". How dare you even attempt to get me, for one second, to bare my soul and open my heart to the possibility that this program has anything left but scorn and disappointment for me. You'll not fool me OP, not this time. This old dog has been wounded too many times, I'll not stand for this deceptive style of baiting and biting.

Shame OP, shame.
Is this from something? Because this is my new favorite post.

NQHKSVE.gif
Came for this.

Welcome to
S
PINE
C
HILLS
Yeah there were some good sign gags in the episode. That's what old Simpsons did so well.

In the case of Azaria, I can assure you that's how he was directed to sing Moe's line. Hank has other characters he sings better for (Apu, for instance) but he has exhibited no real issues with his line delivery unless he's directed to read a line a certain way.

Kavner is a different story. Julie's Marge has been getting rougher over the years. At first, it largely varied based on the direction but now her delivery is showing real weakness even when an episode is otherwise directed well. I think this is a case of where we need to temper our expectations. She's 65. She can't defy age. She's getting paid substantially more than the person that's directing her in the booth. They're not going to make her read a line back 20 times until they get the one take the engineer can salvage.

That said, even though she was still rough throughout Halloween of Horror, I did really enjoy her read of "Who wants to be a yoda? YOU want to be a yoda!" when she was talking to Santa's Little Helper in the opening scene. That was very cute.

For those of you who enjoyed Halloween of Horror and want to keep tabs on the rest of the season, be sure to check out the Season 27 OT.
Moe's voice has definitely gotten a bit huskier, as has Mayor Quimby's. I know they're not the same voice actor (Castellaneta does Quimby) but those are the two I've noticed the most.

ghostjoke

Banned
You had me intrigued, then you mentioned spider pig, the thing that had me turn off the movie. Are you lying to me OP? I'm convinced anyone who still watches Simpsons is certifiable.

Other epsiodes I saw this season were completely forgettable (though not offensively awful like a lot of mid-2000's episodes were), but I'll echo other people's thoughts and say that Halloween one was great. No real laugh-out-loud moments, but it was paced and written like a proper Simpsons episode, it tackled themes the original seasons never did (helps this is apparently the first time they've ever had a non-Treehouse of Horror Halloween ep) and didn't completely fall apart at the end like most modern episodes do.

It'll still probably just wind up being an outlier sadly. It's weird for how one-note it started out as just how strong South Park still is to this day in comparison to the huge fall from grace The Simpsons had and the
much smaller
fall Family Guy had. I rewatched the Simpsons movie and it's still pretty bland, whereas the South Park one is a masterpiece. If the FG one is still happening I'm assuming it'll be a disaster given Seth's recent track record in film.

UberTag

South Park has largely remained strong because Matt Stone & Trey Parker have been rooted at its core and they've taken steps to ensure they don't get burnt out at any point in time.

As for last weekend's Simpsons episode being an outlier, that is likely the case. What I've seen from and read about this Sunday's Treehouse of Horror does not leave me feeling optimistic.

FafaFooey

I can't believe people think South Park is "still going strong". It's been terrible for years because of their obsession with wanting to make every single episode about the hot story of the week. Almost none of the South Park episodes from the last 5 years are something I would watch years from now. The first seasons are still timeless because they focus on the weird shit that goes on in the town. Who the hell is going to care about a Caitlyn Jenner episode in 3 years? It's been 3 weeks and I already don't care anymore.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
As for last weekend's Simpsons episode being an outlier, that is likely the case. What I've seen from and read about this Sunday's Treehouse of Horror does not leave me feeling optimistic.
What really disappoints me about them these days is that they're no longer this collaborative effort. In the past, we used to get three sets of writers of each Treehouse episode. Nowadays, it's just one. Not one set. Just one writer. Why did they stop that?

The new Treehouse of Horror episode is not that great (not surprisingly). The first segment has Sideshow Bob killing Bart, realizing his life has little meaning without Bart to kill, keeps resurrecting Bart to kill him over and over. The second segment was a Godzilla spoof with Homer as Godzilla. The final segment was a spoof of.... Chronicle. Maybe try something more recent, next time? The intro video to the episode was good, though. It was very reminiscent of something that Hanna-Barbera would do.

UberTag

Nope. Heard some good buzz about the real Halloween episode, so I gave it a shot, but I had to quit watching half-way through.
You should take the time to seek out the episode that was recommended (namely Halloween of Horror).

If you're not watching regularly it's not worth going out of your way to watch an episode blind.
Typically, you're not going to come away from the episode feeling good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom