• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lawsuit regarding Star Control: Origins

Barsinister

Banned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control:_Origins

In 2013, Atari filed for bankruptcy and began selling its assets, which included the sale of its remaining Star Control assets to Stardock.[5] Stardock claims to have purchased from Atari the Star Control Trademark and publishing rights for the original Star Control trilogy, whereas the series' creators Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III claim to own the Copyright in the first two games.[6][7] The dispute led to Stardock filing a lawsuit against Ford and Reiche for trademark infringement, with a counter-suit against Stardock for copyright infringement.[8] As such, Star Control: Origins does not use settings, characters, or plot details from the original Star Control games.[6]

This is a pretty good primer for what is going on with the game. I am in the camp that wants both games to see the light of day. I had read somewhere that a new "Star Control" game was coming, but I only last week learned of this lawsuit. The Origins game is coming out on the 20th of September. I don't believe that there is anything stopping it from coming out. Is there any hype here for a new "Star Control" game?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Don't really care much if the lore is in tact so long as the gameplay and spirit of the series remains. The only thing I even remember are the Ur'quan or however you spell it.

dirthead

Banned
Star Control 2 was lightning in a bottle. There's absolutely no way either company could produce something that would live up to the hype. They just need to let it go.

SC2 is kind of like Streets of Rage where the music totally made the game. It's absurdly improbable they could get another soundtrack together that was half as good, so what's the point? Ur-Quan Masters exists. If I want to play the game on my computer, I can do so trivially.

These people really just need to move on and make something new.

Hudo

haha you do NOT want to put Randy Pitchford in crowdfunding campaign videos. Dude's box office poison at this point.
Yeah, when I saw him pop up in the video, I was like "well, not someone I would've chosen...". But it was nice to see Chris Taylor, haha.

Top Bottom