• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolved Amicably Last Year: Rockstar Games parent company Take-Two has filed a lawsuit against Alan Wake devs Remedy over its "R" logo

Via Eurogamer:

UPDATE 18/01/24: Remedy has responded to the trademark dispute with Take Two, stating it was resolved amicably last year.

A statement sent to Eurogamer reads: "There is nothing to see here – this was a discussion between our teams that was resolved entirely and amicably late last year. Unfortunately, it took a little longer to complete than we had hoped due to some holiday scheduling. The legal filing was simply an initial formality, and Remedy and Take-Two continue to work together in partnership."

Rockstar published Remedy's original Max Payne games and the two companies are collaborating on the forthcoming remakes.

Trademark-Tussle-Remedy-Entertainment-And-Take-Two-Clash-Over-Logo-1068x601.jpeg.webp

In a striking clash of gaming titans, Remedy Entertainment finds itself locked in a legal showdown with Take Two Interactive over a contentious logo design. Central to the dispute is Take Two’s claim that Remedy’s logo bears an uncanny resemblance to Rockstar Games’ iconic “R.”
The logo in question, a stylized ‘R’, has become a point of contention, sparking a trademark dispute between the makers of Alan Wake and Grand Theft Auto.

This isn’t Take Two’s first rodeo in the trademark arena. Just last year, they fiercely contested the naming rights of Hazelight Studios’ hit game, “It Takes Two,” showcasing their rigorous approach to intellectual property protection.
This appears to be the same logo Remedy Entertainment revealed to the world in April 2023, pretty much the same time dispute was filed. At the time, Remedy Entertainment revealed the logo by saying:

“The bullet in the letter R in the old logo represented the era of Max Payne, but the Remedy of now is much bigger than a single game; we have a whole portfolio of games, new and old.”

“It was time to update and redefine our visual identity to bring more consistency, showcase our evolution over the years, and better express our vision of today’s Remedy.”
According to data from the UK, as of September 2023 the trademark is still disputed.

Grounds for opposition: “Article 8(1)(b) EUTMR – There exists a likelihood of confusion on the part of the public”

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Ridiculous, more money wasted on legal fees that could go towards games, even if they were the same, which i don't think they are, it wouldn't hurt Take 2 with GTA under it's wing a bit.

mdkirby

This is one of the more ridiculous claims. Unless rockstar are claiming they own exclusive rights in all uses to the letter R when used in the video game industry (which I very much doubt), then this is nonsense.

Completely different font and completely different presentation 🤷‍♂️

Sadly it could well be much cheaper and easier for remedy to change it than to fight it. The difference in size between their resources is vast. Honestly, there needs to be a free process of appeal where obvious borderline trolling like this can be thrown out with prejudice (ie where the claimant is lumped with a hefty file for being a bell end)

Three

Hopefuly T2 will get fucked with this

It's just an "R". Now they own the letter "R"?
I'm guessing they are going on the grounds that both of them use a letter R for their studio trademark. It would be like me selling trainers and using a different font checkmark/tick. It's just a ASCII character but the world of trademarks is a weird place and it's not that far fetched that Rockstar might have a case with the use of the letter R.

Last edited:

Holammer

The refracted glass effect in Remedy's new logo reminds me of some Movie or Music company logo, can't put my finger on which one.
(not Sony Music Publishing's logo)

JackMcGunns

1. Different font
2. One is Italic one is not
3. Different color
4. Completely different design
5. No signs on intent by Remedy to do anything nefarious.

Yep, it's the letter R, that's about it. If this goes through somehow (I can't see this going anywhere but just being tossed) I would love to see Remedy counter-sue for attorney fees and other penalties.

Last edited:
Top Bottom