• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The legacy of PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi, in 24 stories.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/26/18080492/playstation-history-ken-kutaragi-sony

Twenty-four years ago next week, Ken Kutaragi walked through Tokyo’s electronics district, beaming with pride while fans treated him like a god.

After years of trying to make a game console — including a well-publicized collaboration with Nintendo, a less well-publicized attempt with Sega, and internal debates over whether Sony should enter the business on its own — he’d done it. With the help of hundreds of others, the 40-something engineer had taken an idea and willed it into what we now know as the PlayStation.

Unlike most game consoles at the time, the PlayStation instantly became a showcase for 3D graphics. And unlike most engineers, Kutaragi had overseen nearly every aspect of the managerial and business deals that brought it together.

The system launched to near-instant success, and — as Kutaragi saw on his walk that day — fans ate it up, purchasing games like Ridge Racer and eyeing those coming soon like Battle Arena Toshinden.

Then Kutaragi repeated his success with dozens of other initiatives, including the PlayStation 2 — which remains the best-selling console ever made — and made PlayStation into a billion-dollar business. Kutaragi formally took over Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE), with many speculating that he would take over the rest of Sony as well. His luck came to an end after he ran into trouble with PlayStation 3 and then left the company, but for more than a decade, he experienced a level of success few have matched in the game industry.

Yet to some, his legacy is complicated by the way he went about making that happen.

For years, colleagues have described him with a mix of admiration and fear, commonly referring to him as “Crazy Ken” and telling stories about his tirades at work. Talk to people who knew him in his Sony days, and they’ll often describe him as “moody,” “stubborn” and an “extreme micromanager.” And nearly everyone who worked closely with him in those days seems to have stories of his abrasive approach.

Check the link for the full story.

How the fuck did this thread originally only get three replies? The interviews are amazing, its such a great read.
Because there's no drama or outrage in here, which is sadly the only way threads nowadays get any traffic.
Talking about games and thier history? What is this 2004? You need some SJW controversy and ClOwN world news to make me interested!

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
How the fuck did this thread originally only get three replies? The interviews are amazing, its such a great read.
Unfortunately the post I’m about to quote describes it accurately:
Because there's no drama or outrage in here, which is sadly the only way threads nowadays get any traffic.
Talking about games and thier history? What is this 2004? You need some SJW controversy and ClOwN world news to make me interested!

The Shepard

We really need a new ridge racer. It's legacy as one of the games that made the PlayStation be the ultimate success in its early days is not to be ignored. Original Playstation remakes seem to be the in thing atm aswell so nows the perfect time to return. That and a metal gear solid remake would be excellent.

Had to do a double take on the date. Still, great article. Many cool anecdotes.

It was kind of foreboding how Kutaragi said he would not work on a potential PS4, years before he left Sony. It might also explain why the PS4 doesn't really "feel" like a genuine Playstation console. Despite Kutaragi's controversial personality, I'd say he was one of the key-people of what made the Playstation consoles what they were. Without him it won't be the same.

Last edited:

ROMhack

And he chose to — he spoke to me in Japanese and then he switched into English and, you know, he said: “You don’t understand PaRappa.” He’s like, “I want you to go back and understand, really, who PaRappa is.” And that was it. He packed up and left.

Best part right there :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom