• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki announced

Meicyn

Gold Member
Seriously, this looks even better than Persona.

Where did Falcom get the money to raise the budget for this project so much?
My guess is the sudden interest in Falcom games in the west. It’s weird to see it. I had to patch a fan translation of Ys: Oath in Felghana on PC almost 15 years ago, and now we’re going to be able to play the Crossbell arc next year on current platforms with official localizations.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Indeed, the weaboo population has been rising over the years.

Also, Falcom seems to be the only company that was able to release multiple 40+ hour long games in a short span of time.
Other JRPG devs (Atlus, Square-Enix, etc) were only able to release what, one or two games for their main franchises this decade?

Sure, they've reused a lot of assets and the budget is much smaller, but I would call this efficiency.
I think what also helps a lot is their choice to expand on an existing world and flesh out existing characters amidst new ones. It’s kind of like expansion packs for MMORPGs where each release is iterative on what came before. There’s new stuff, but you get to reuse a lot of old stuff too. With game development costs increasing, Falcom has a sustainable, low risk model that works.

Thief1987

I think what also helps a lot is their choice to expand on an existing world and flesh out existing characters amidst new ones. It’s kind of like expansion packs for MMORPGs where each release is iterative on what came before. There’s new stuff, but you get to reuse a lot of old stuff too. With game development costs increasing, Falcom has a sustainable, low risk model that works.
Falcom transitioned to a brand new engine with this game, i don't think that there are much of reused assets and content, especially if we talking about animation. Like for example just look how content scarce were first RGG's games on Dragon Engine compared to games on their old engine. Because you can't take much of stuff when transitioning on the new engine and toolset.

Meicyn

Gold Member
So do you still need to play all the other games to play this?
They’ll likely make it newbie friendly for the most part since it’s a new arc. But there will undoubtedly be a lot of moments that will carry little weight because you’d be jumping in on the 11th novel in a serialized story. Reading anecdotes about past moments or being told that these characters are friends doesn’t work as well as having experienced those characters interacting or playing through significant battles in previous games.

It’d be like watching FF7 Advent Children without having ever played FF7.

I would at least start with Trails of Cold Steel and play through that quadrilogy if you’re a PS4/5 owner, or just start with Trails in the Sky if you’re on PC.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
iqTmM7E.png

Glad this thread popped back up cause I was looking for this meme.

YukiOnna

So do you still need to play all the other games to play this?
You should probably play the other games, or at least the Cold Steel ones, though once you get to CSIV, you should play the older titles lol. Falcom's idea of user friendly kind of sucks, but it's a long-running game so it should be expected.

Shouta

Seriously, this looks even better than Persona.

Where did Falcom get the money to raise the budget for this project so much?

They've been using the same engine for 4~5 games now, they've probably been working on the new one in the background for awhile during that. It's looking great too and I hope they get a lot of mileage out of this.

Thief1987

34 is pretty solid. Famitsu scores aren't exactly unbiased so Kuro getting that much is about right.
It's in line with last Falcom games, last two Ys get 34 and 35, last two Kiseki get both 33. So looks like Kuro is at least not worse. With a pretty big shift for Falcom with new engine, new combat system, new arc etc., it's pretty encouraging. Again, shame that most of us won't play this game in the next 3 years minimum :(

Shouta

Just finished prologue for the game, it's really good so far. The battle system is a little reminiscent of FF7 Remake but it leans way more into the Turn-based Command battle. The action parts are mostly to speed combat up on the field and provide more to do on with dungeon crawling. If the enemy is really weak, you can just bop it to death. There's even a bit of synergy between the two and stuns in field combat can translate into extra damage when you go into the Command Battle. Very enjoyable so far.

Graphics are a nice upgrade too though my biggest complaint is the framerate is a little lower than I want and there's a bit of aliasing everywhere. Still a great looking game and Falcom really has elevated their work overall.

Last edited:
Just finished prologue for the game, it's really good so far. The battle system is a little reminiscent of FF7 Remake but it leans way more into the Turn-based Command battle. The action parts are mostly to speed combat up on the field and provide more to do on with dungeon crawling. If the enemy is really weak, you can just bop it to death. There's even a bit of synergy between the two and stuns in field combat can translate into extra damage when you go into the Command Battle. Very enjoyable so far.

Graphics are nice upgrade too though my biggest complaint is the framerate is a little lower than I want and there's a bit of aliasing everywhere. Still a great looking game and Falcom really has elevated their work overall.
Here's hoping it'a gets enhanced for PS5 by the time we get it.....

Thief1987

From Falcom's financial report
  • 2022 marks the 35th anniversary of Falcom’s flagship Ys series. Other than a budget price version of Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for PlayStation 4, additional product(s) are also planned.
  • Starting in 2022, Falcom will develop Switch titles internally, starting with the Switch version of The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails.
  • In the fiscal year ending September 2022, Falcom plans to release the latest entry in the Trails series. Trails is one of Falcom’s flagship series, with over six million copies sold worldwide and accolades from the Japan Game Awards, Famitsu Awards, PlayStation Awards, and more.
Seems like no new Ys, but they will release new Kiseki game in 2022, Kuro no Kiseki 2 i suppose.

Last edited:

Sensei

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kuro-no-Kiseki-II_2022_04-07-22_001-768x446.png

I feel like they're mocking us when they put "RELEASE FALL 2022" in English in a trailer in Japanese, even though the game won't probably come to the west before 2026...

demonstr8

I feel like they're mocking us when they put "RELEASE FALL 2022" in English in a trailer in Japanese, even though the game won't probably come to the west before 2026...
It isn’t their fault. It’s the incompetence of whoever is in charge of the products as a whole at NISA. I really, really hope sometime soon we get a different publisher for this series in the West. Not just for waiting period but for Falcom sake because a worldwide release or near enough to it is a whole other stratosphere for sales in this era.

KingT731

NISA really dropping the ball with the western release schedule. Honestly we should have gotten the older games bundled together but...money.

Hopefully more like the older games (Trails in the sky triology old, not not tear of vermillion old ) ... I loved Trails in the sky game and really hope its more that and less "school yard/academy" that was trials of cold steel. I own the first trials of cold steel on vita, but could never get into it.

Also better be on switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom