• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Psxphile

^ I'd say about thirty-five to forty percent, give or take. You'll visit two more cities (not counting small villages) before the game ends. It's natural to feel wanting now that you're in the game's middle, but hang in there. I'm particularly fond of Chapter 2's resolution, so look forward to it.

^ I'd say about thirty-five to forty percent, give or take. You'll visit two more cities (not counting small villages) before the game ends. It's natural to feel wanting now that you're in the game's middle, but hang in there. I'm particularly fond of Chapter 2's resolution, so look forward to it.

Thanks. I will stick around till Ch 2 ends and see where that takes me.

Arthea

Haven't gotten a chance to start playing yet. If I ever do, good to know the monster book will be in :)

wait, it's already in? I missed news?

edited: found news
I also planned to replay a game, to pick achievements that bugged first time around, so it's not a problem for me as I'll encounter all monsters again.

Hikami

So I just finished the game.. so sad its over :( best rpg I've ever played.

That ending though..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I should've waited for SC.

Who in the fuck thought it was a good idea to have
3 boss fights in a row at the end of the game!?!?
Not only that but
the last boss is hard as shit. This game went from being Skies of Arcadia to Dark Souls in difficulty. I got him down half way but then his "anti-AA" gun broke so he started summoning the blue mini robots that get hurt by attacks. These things take long to kill than the others and are spread out. This results in me getting manhandled by the final boss. I also used up all of my Celestial Balms.
How the hell do I beat this guy?

Yeah, Chapter 2 is where the game starts picking up and the "real" plot starts to make itself known.

Finished chapter 2 today and am a few hours into Ch 3. Ending was pretty darn exciting. That
mayor was such an ass
. I play this game really slow though because I find it to be one of the few games where I enjoy doing sidequests. The rewards for building up my rank are incredible and by the time I progress the story I feel like I better know the locations where the game takes place. Even though the game is kinda lacking in visual flash (on PS TV), the amount of "heart" and connection to the locales is better than in most JRPGs I've ever played. I actually appreciate the lack of fast travel because it makes me walk trails and roads as if I was really working as a Bracer.

Can't wait to see where the story goes!

Who in the fuck thought it was a good idea to have
3 boss fights in a row at the end of the game!?!?
Not only that but
the last boss is hard as shit. This game went from being Skies of Arcadia to Dark Souls in difficulty. I got him down half way but then his "anti-AA" gun broke so he started summoning the blue mini robots that get hurt by attacks. These things take long to kill than the others and are spread out. This results in me getting manhandled by the final boss. I also used up all of my Celestial Balms.
How the hell do I beat this guy?

Party and level? None of the bosses are really that hard

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Joshua, Estelle, Kloe, and Agate. All at level 33 except Agate who is 34.

That's a bit low. It's low enough I don't think your level would even carry over to SC, you would automatically be set at a higher level.

Casters are king in that battle despite the anti-casting attacks, using Agate is kind of questionable (don't tell Jess I said that though). Just make sure the magic will go through before the enemy gets a turn, or use magic to bait out the AA attack instead of something potentially more dangerous. I took Kloe and Olivier, mostly threw spells everywhere, kept most of my characters huddled together and abused Earth Wall, and let Joshua take care of anything spells were not sufficient for.

I found it pretty easy on my PC playthrough, but I also had max BP, mad quartz, all the equipment from the final dungeon, and was 4 levels higher than you.

Shiina

Joshua, Estelle, Kloe, and Agate. All at level 33 except Agate who is 34.

That's what my party was and I managed pretty well. Shame about
Kloe's debuff
being entirely useless on the boss. Make sure you position yourself well throughout the last phase so you don't eat AoE attacks with all characters (or any at all).
For me (iirc) Joshua was on magic damage business while Kloe and Estelle just healed all the time and Agate would use his special attacks whenever he had enough special attack points (names elude me right now). I remember I was more focused on dealing damage to the boss than trying to kill the adds that it spawned. Try to use AoE attacks on the boss like White Gehenna to damage boss and adds at the same time.
And if you don't have all the weapons/armor from the dungeon I suggest you go back and collect it and gain a level or two while you're at it since it does involve quite a lot of battles.

That's a bit low. It's low enough I don't think your level would even carry over to SC, you would automatically be set at a higher level.

Casters are king in that battle despite the anti-casting attacks, using Agate is kind of questionable (don't tell Jess I said that though). Just make sure the magic will go through before the enemy gets a turn, or use magic to bait out the AA attack instead of something potentially more dangerous. I took Kloe and Olivier, mostly threw spells everywhere, kept most of my characters huddled together and abused Earth Wall, and let Joshua take care of anything spells were not sufficient for.

I found it pretty easy on my PC playthrough, but I also had max BP, mad quartz, all the equipment from the final dungeon, and was 4 levels higher than you.
Really my level is low? The game has been easy as hell throughout. Could only imagine how much easier it is with a higher level. My characters are now all 35 and I switched Agate with Zane (who is 34). That's cool that you can transfer your data to SC. Didn't know that. It really does seem that this game is one giant adventure split into three separate games. Though I heard that three is more of a filler sidequest type thing.

Psxphile

It's a jRPG. When in doubt, grind it out.

I don't even remember how I beat that boss. I had
Estelle, Joshua, Tita and Khloe
. Did okay, I think.

So yeah I have the same problem as before. My magic attacks aren't powerful enough to kill the bosses underlings in a reasonable amount of time. Is the solution to grind? That would suck as so far this game has been completely grind free for me.

So yeah I have the same problem as before. My magic attacks aren't powerful enough to kill the bosses underlings in a reasonable amount of time. Is the solution to grind? That would suck as so far this game has been completely grind free for me.

Use Oliver, get him Earth Wall, clump your characters together and laugh as the bosses scary attacks do nothing to you. Also take advantage of equipment that boosts your sp so that you can use interrupt attacks more frequently. You really just want to nuke the boss with magic, let his interurrpt half your attacks with the aa missiles they are less scary then his other moves. Try and cast spells in a way that your most powerful caster (probably Oliver) always gets his attack off.

Use Oliver, get him Earth Wall, clump your characters together and laugh as the bosses scary attacks do nothing to you. Also take advantage of equipment that boosts your sp so that you can use interrupt attacks more frequently. You really just want to nuke the boss with magic, let his interurrpt half your attacks with the aa missiles they are less scary then his other moves. Try and cast spells in a way that your most powerful caster (probably Oliver) always gets his attack off.
I use Earth Wall. The problem isn't with the main boss but when he unleashes his underlings who break the Earth Wall barrier leaving me open to attacks, as well as healing the main boss. I will use Oliver instead of Zane though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

No sense in wasting Olivier as the Earth Wall caster, let someone like Estelle do that. Kloe can do offense + healing, Estelle for support + offense, Joshua and Olivier for straight offense.

At least that was roughly my setup. I'd have to open the game to see exactly what quartz I used on who.

Edit: Pretty straightforward who is who.
jkiKzAD.jpg

No sense in wasting Olivier as the Earth Wall caster, let someone like Estelle do that. Kloe can do offense + healing, Estelle for support + offense, Joshua and Olivier for straight offense.

At least that was roughly my setup. I'd have to open the game to see exactly what quartz I used on who.

Edit: Pretty straightforward who is who.
jkiKzAD.jpg

That's probably more efficient then what I had, I just know that with a level 38/39 party with that general strategy I had no real problems. It was a challenging fight but I never felt over whelemed it just felt like a good final boss.

So I beat the boss. I leveled up my characters and gave people speed boosting quartz. The boss was crazy easy, but he didn't spam mini robots like before,

But yeah how about that
cliffhanger ending....

I used Tita and Zane on the final boss. I feel like Tita was a poor choice though, and if the game let me swap party members right before the final fight I'd have brought in Kloe or Olivier instead. I did manage to beat the boss after a couple tries, but it was a pretty tense fight. It was the only time I used the retry option , because I really didn't feel like doing the 1st two boss fights just to potentially die on fight 3 again.

The "final fight" made up for it all though. Pretty badass way to end the situation.

I used Tita and Zane on the final boss. I feel like Tita was a poor choice though, and if the game let me swap party members right before the final fight I'd have brought in Kloe or Olivier instead. I did manage to beat the boss after a couple tries, but it was a pretty tense fight. It was the only time I used the retry option , because I really didn't feel like doing the 1st two boss fights just to potentially die on fight 3 again.

The "final fight" made up for it all though. Pretty badass way to end the situation.

Dunno if its been fixed but their is an achievement for not using your super moves on the final boss, which I got despite using them because Kloe was one of my party members and she wasn't dealing any damage with hers so I didn't use it.

Psxphile

Dunno if its been fixed but their is an achievement for not using your super moves on the final boss, which I got despite using them because Kloe was one of my party members and she wasn't dealing any damage with hers so I didn't use it.

Not sure if it's a glitch or just poorly worded. The achievement is triggered by not using your S-crafts in the final phase of the fight. Now,
if your Bracer rank is sufficiently high enough, you'd get an extra "fight" scene where you'll be able to wail on the boss with all your S-crafts and it can't do a thing to retaliate.
Pretty sure this is where you forego using S-crafts to get the achievement. I beat it without using S-crafts or S-breaks and got the achievement.

I've seen it mentioned that some people got the achievement despite using S-crafts at every instance. There's a possibility that it's actually S-Breaks that will kill your chances for the achievement, and only in that last final
and pathetic
form. Which you would have absolutely no reason to use at that point. Very strange.

Not sure if it's a glitch or just poorly worded. The achievement is triggered by not using your S-crafts in the final phase of the fight. Now, Pretty sure this is where you forego using S-crafts to get the achievement. I beat it without using S-crafts or S-breaks and got the achievement.

I've seen it mentioned that some people got the achievement despite using S-crafts at every instance. There's a possibility that it's actually S-Breaks that will kill your chances for the achievement, and only in that last final
and pathetic
form. Which you would have absolutely no reason to use at that point. Very strange.

No I got max bracer points and it basically went like this

Kloe : That s-art that debuffs
Estelle : S-break
Joshua : S-break
Oliver : S-break

Then some regular attacks to finish it and got the achievement *shrugs* I was under the impression for that achievement it was don't use any of the s-breaks either on their turn or by interrupting.

Amir0x

Banned
So this is on sale right now for $9.99 for the next 5 hours. I guess judging from this topic it's worth it? I've been playing Tales of Hearts and I'm almost done with it so I'd like a jRPG to come to when I'm finished with Wolfenstein.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So this is on sale right now for $9.99 for the next 5 hours. I guess judging from this topic it's worth it? I've been playing Tales of Hearts and I'm almost done with it so I'd like a jRPG to come to when I'm finished with Wolfenstein.

Yeah. I'm not as head-over-heels for it as a lot of people here are, but I think it's a very enjoyable RPG. It's slower paced and not very bombastic (at least not until the last third of the game) and some people don't like that, but the world building and character development are really good. Battle system and customization is fun, if a bit on the easy/simple side.

Yeah. I'm not as head-over-heels for it as a lot of people here are, but I think it's a very enjoyable RPG. It's slower paced and not very bombastic (at least not until the last third of the game) and some people don't like that, but the world building and character development are really good. Battle system and customization is fun, if a bit on the easy/simple side.

I'm honestly a little worried about the pace in SC. The slower casual pace of FC is honestly a large part of what made it endearing to me. You rarely see that sort of thing in a game and it allowed me to just mellow out and enjoy the world and characters. Of course, I'm still very curious as to how the developments of FC will play out in SC, so maybe this slower pace will make the (likely) more event filled sequel feel more meaningful.

So after playing this I am thinking of getting into the Ys series.

Should I start with I+II, Origin, or OoF?

Which one of those is the best game?

1+2 Is definitely not for everyone with its bump combat, so I hesitate to recommend that first. I did enjoy it though, and the soundtrack is my personal favorite of them.

Oath is a self contained story that has almost no references to the other Steam games. It also has a much more approachable battle system. It was my first Ys game and I think it makes the best first Ys for newbies.

Origins uses the same battle system as Oath, but it tweaks the abilities to mostly positive effect. Origins also has 3 playable characters, each with their own story and very different playstyles, so it gives you a lot of content (although most of the game is them rerunning the same dungeons, with a few different bosses). The main reason you may not want to play it first is because it's a prequel to 1+2. If you plan on playing 1+2 and care about plot, you should probably do that first.

jb1234

So after playing this I am thinking of getting into the Ys series.

Should I start with I+II, Origin, or OoF?

Which one of those is the best game?

Oath is probably the best, certainly one of my favorite games. Keep in mind it's also the hardest. That game will give you a workout on its bosses.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does Ys 1+2 feel very dated?
Kind of, they aren't for everyone. If you don't like retro games you might not like those. Ys 1 in particular has some old school obtuseness, expecting you to figure some things out on your own to progress without much in the way of hints.

Oath in Felghana is probably the best place to start.

I'd still recommend Chronicles, just not to start with. Ys 2 is awesome.

I'm playing YS 1 right now and I've not had much trouble with it, the only real issue I've found is missing either a chest or a floor in the dungeons and considering there are only like 3 in the whole game it's pretty easy to run back and look for an area/chest you missed.

Also to note YS 1 is my first YS game

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I started with Origin and I honestly thought it was a great entrypoint into the series.
There aren't really any bad entrypoints, except maybe Ys 2 (should be played after Ys 1, they get bundled for a reason) and PSP Napishtim (awful port).

Perhaps some of the older/unlocalized games might also be poor places to start.

SpaceDrake put up a blog post explaining the delays for the 2nd game. Warning, it goes into some dark territory.

It is off topic but I will chime in.

Some burdens that we have are so heavy that they have to be shared with others so that we can move foward even if it is just a little.

I almost crumbled mentally if I didnt snap and throw a fit at my parents about my own problem. I got a lot better after I went to psychologist and I have a more positive outlook on myself.

I can relate somehow with the though process SpaceDrake had. Often I would declare that I was myself a failure a lot of times because of my actions, looking at my past and telling myself I could be better if I did not the same mistakes I was making again and again, which caused me a lot of anguish. It was something that kept coming back every time I coudnt overcome a obstacle, making a vicious cycle.

The point is to talk to people close to you. Dont hold in such huge problems by yourself, especially if they were haunting you for a such a long time. My experience is somewhat similar to yours but if we would compare each other mine would seem silly.

Anyway, get better and good luck with future endeavors.

SpaceDrake put up a blog post explaining the delays for the 2nd game. Warning, it goes into some dark territory.

I have a lot of thoughts to say on this post, but all I'll say here is that if you're reading this SpaceDrake, I hope you take care of yourself and don't be afraid to reach out to those who care about you.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ok so wow, didn't know this thread existed and I just finished the game. I'll start from the beginning I suppose.

It took me awhile to really get into this game. The story doesn't start off very strongly and combat system takes a bit before it really gets fleshed out. I ended up dropping the game several times and forcing my way through and found myself playing for long stretches of time afterwards just to see where the story would go.

I didn't have too much trouble with the final boss. I ran with Joshua, Estelle, Zane, and Khloe. I thought I was boned after I found out that Khloe's OP eagle skill didn't work past the first boss but she had powerful magic and healing to back it up so it worked out alright. Took me 3 tries to beat the boss because I alt-tabbed and the game just crashed on me which was really heartbreaking.

The combat becomes pretty fun and actually does turn based action with the turn effects (crit, heal, STR up) very well. Towards the end the enemies spongy with huge HP and very low but annoying damage which is why I just equipped cloak through the last parts of the game and just ran to the final boss. I wish the orbament skills were done a little better as it's not explained very well what orb gives what art.

The story was pretty decent, nothing amazing or particularly notable but it was serviceable and did it's job. At least until the end when
You get this huuge info dump about secret societies and Joushua's past which I found pretty interesting.
The characters I felt were a little weak and never really developed past their initial introduction but like the story they fulfilled their purpose well enough. I liked Estelle as the main character even though the running joke is that she's basically dumb as bricks but with the good heart.

Overall, I would highly recommend this game to people who enjoy JRPGs and can handle a slow burn. That
------cliffhanger
ending was something else. A very good setup for the next game. Though skimming through the latest page I see there have been some delays, bummer. I hope that SpaceDrake gets well soon.

I'll be picking up the sequel day 1.

jb1234

I dropped the game a few months ago because I found the story uninvolving and the battle system bland. I'm gonna give it another shot because I do like the characters a lot and I'm starved for JRPGs. And I love Falcom. Here goes!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the orbament skills were done a little better as it's not explained very well what orb gives what art.

I'm not sure if the game outright tells you, but it does give you all the information you need. The bracer book has the quartz "point" combinations required for every art. And while equipping quartz you can see how many points they give. So you just want to put quartz in the same line on the orbment that add up to be enough to get the arts you want.

This is why Kloe and Olivier are great magic/art users, they have one line so everything accumulates and you can easily get powerful arts. And Agate and Zane are terrible with arts since they have like 3 or 4 smaller lines and can't accumulate points for stronger arts easily.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Woo, just got this game for Xmas and I'm already 9 hours into it and barely just started Chapter 1 (reached Bose and got the investigation job from the mayor).

Anything I should absolutely know that might not be too intuitive right away? For example, is it a bad idea to sell quartz? I had quite a bunch of mirage ones so I sold some to buy new armour, hope I didn't screw up, haha.

Is the game long? Seems like I barely started and I already have 9 hours. I tend to take my time but still, wow.

Aeana

Woo, just got this game for Xmas and I'm already 9 hours into it and barely just started Chapter 1 (reached Bose and got the investigation job from the mayor).

Anything I should absolutely know that might not be too intuitive right away? For example, is it a bad idea to sell quartz? I had quite a bunch of mirage ones so I sold some to buy new armour, hope I didn't screw up, haha.

Is the game long? Seems like I barely started and I already have 9 hours. I tend to take my time but still, wow.
Selling sepith is a risk/reward aspect of the game. You'll probably need to do it for money, especially if you don't do the sidequests (you should do them!), but you also need them to buy quartz. So it'll be a balance.

The other thing is that sidequests have time limits (time is calculated by advancing the story, not real time), so it's usually in your best interest to do them as soon as they pop up at the guild.

The game is about 40-50 hours for most people.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Don't sell your quartz, I was never in need of money in the game but I always felt like I didn't enough have quartz to unlock slots or buy the upgraded ones.

I did a couple sidequests here and there and looked up solutions when I got frustrated
hx7q76P.png

I clocked in about 35hrs. Average length for a JRPG I suppose.

Top Bottom