• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

I mean, you can end it by just running to the last boss after the tutorial.

But I had to learn how to play the game first lol

Yeah, most players aren't ready after playing the game after 3 hours. But after 40? Sure, I think most players can do the last boss if they try.

And I agree, the last boss is actually a better fight if you fight it earlier rather than later. And the last dungeon is a better dungeon that way, too.

I really like how there are breadcrumb quests into Hyrule Castle, and mention of it at multiple stables. The game openly encourages the player to try sooner than they'd think.

Finished the game (with 16,95% lol). Wonderful finale although there are better finales in the Zelda series.

Final boss spoilers
Not sure how I feel about the whole epic main quest with the titans just resulted in Ganon losing half his health. Wished there was a bit more to it.
The final horseback section, while being pretty and epic, was also super easy. I don't think I ever got hit from Ganon in that fight.

The cutscenes were great and the music brought me shivers when reaching the ending credits.

Have a few other games on my plate right now, but will definitely come back to it before the DLC hits to at least get all the memory sequences and do a few more sidequests and shrines.
Overall very very happy about this game. It captured my attention these last two weeks like very few other games did before.

LAST BOSS MECHANIC SPOILER: The real gimmick is that you
have to fight any of the *Blight Ganons that you haven't beaten during a boss rush as part of the fright.

Booted up OoT3D to see if it's how I remember it.

This is so awful, and this game has one of the less oppressive openings iirc. Playing Twilight Princess after BotW must be like having your teeth grow through your skull.

OOT was the least egregious opening, but the entire Young Link portion is meh to me. Twilight Princess only takes 1 dungeon to really get going, to me.

AaronMT86

Walking into the Forgotten Temple like

swat-lasers.png

sanstesy

I find it weird people miss enemies like Like Likes, Skulltulas or Deku babas. They were always fodder enemies like Chu Chus or Keese.

When I see them making enemies like Lynels, high-level Lizafos or the big Yiga Clan dudes; that's what I want more of. So essentially - Dark Nuts and new original enemies.

Overall this game isn't missing more enemy variety. It's missing more mini-bosses like Hinox' and Guardians.

cyba89

LAST BOSS MECHANIC SPOILER: The real gimmick is that you
have to fight any of the *Blight Ganons that you haven't beaten during a boss rush as part of the fright.

Okay, that's better. I revise my criticsm then. Will watch a speedrun of the game now.

ColdPizza

Banned
Had my first super annoying frame drop today, and by super annoying I mean 0 FPS. Found a group of Moblins sitting by a fire in Hebra and after I engaged them the scene just froze for a good 3 seconds.

Firemind

The best boss is actually the no main missions final boss. I'd go so far as to say that it's the best 3D Zelda boss I've experienced since it's the only one I can actively remember not doing on autopliot (not that the gimmicks they had in the old games weren't fun, but let's be real here) and actually having to try for a few hours (?) before getting the solution.

Interestingly, I do think that that boss is semi designed for a 3 hearts run since things out in the field hit harder.
Yeah I like how the bosses have different stages each often requiring a different solution.
Like Fireblight Ganon I couldn't figure out how to get through the shield when he summons the fireball until Daruk hinted the solution. Thunderblight, I've seen people trying to shield parry its whirlwind attack but I just hacked away until its shield broke lol

Spinluck

I don't see how a smaller but still really big world would be a bad thing, especially where it would take less development time, resources and assets-- and still be fucking enormous. Like the "I need a giant world!" folk would still be satisfied with that, and it would likely result in more focused aspects.

This is the only 3D Zelda world that nails exploration. Some of the previous entries have the worst overworlds out there imo.

The world in BoTW massive, but it is also intricately designed. It's not big for the sake of being big. In most cases there's something around the corner, and even some neat level design on the map itself.

After enough shrines you pretty much have quick access to nearly ever part of the map anyway.

Edit: my biggest complaint so far are the wack ass boss fights and the lack there of. I haven't fought the last boss yet though.

DKL

Y'all are nuts, the last boss was super tough. Maybe it's because I got all the shrines first and it scaled?

Man, I thought that shit was very hard without doing any of the main missions and on 3 hearts.

(and fucking blind too where I don't check other people's strats)

I was sat there questioning whether I had the ability to do a few parts of it after a bunch of retries and this has never occurred to me in any of the 3D Zeldas I've played where I mostly mashed until it worked.

Yeah I like how the bosses have different stages each often requiring a different solution.
Like Fireblight Ganon I couldn't figure out how to get through the shield when he summons the fireball until Daruk hinted the solution. Thunderblight, I've seen people trying to shield parry its whirlwind attack but I just hacked away until its shield broke lol

Interesting...
you have no hints in the no main missions run, so I was left to my own devices to figure everything out.

lol

The truffle sisters are always getting into trouble. I wish I could just give them truffles or weapons to defend themselves lol

No, the squid is actually decent. What's bad is the copy-pasted Scorpio and Imprisoned fights.

The second scorpion was a mini boss. I liked that encounter since it showed how much stronger I got since I first fought him.

GDGF

Soothsayer
How many hearts you have?

5 natural ones but I ate a few meals that gave me like 10 hearts all together and then I drank a defense potion. Hardest battle yet.

Only problem is I forgot to take a picture of the Lynel for that Zora quest but I am assuming that is nothing a bloodmoon can't fix :)

Firemind

No, the squid is actually decent. What's bad is the copy-pasted Scorpio and Imprisoned fights.
Yeah these were truly awful. I didn't like Ghirahim's many fights either. And the supposed great boss in the Ancient Cistern was kind of average tbh. The best boss was probably Demise.

sanstesy

I only remember one good one. The squid is one of the more memorable. Imprisoned is arguably the worst in the series, and the rest are a bunch of lame chumps like that scorpion and that rock with spider legs.

Don't forget Koloktos!

The second scorpion was a mini boss. I liked that encounter since it showed how much stronger I got since I first fought him.

I don't remember but it was really lame seeing him a second time anyway because the fight is boring.

Yeah these were truly awful. I didn't like Ghirahim's many fights either. And the supposed great boss in the Ancient Cistern was kind of average tbh. The best boss was probably Demise.

I like Ghirahim for a first boss battle. Koloktos was a cool novelty.

Metroid

I loved this game, but fully fledged temples scattered around the map (like the forgotten temple but with puzzles, small keys and everything) would be amazing. Hopefully they learn from it.
And more enemy types! Darknuts pls.

atr0cious

I'm sorry, but do you go into every thread where there is a criticism about any AAA game?
No, and that has nothing to do with this game, which has very specific goals. Like I said, you can complain about the looks, but you sound like a spoiled child when you call their work creatively bankrupt cause there aren't​ different textures for the 120 extra puzzles.

And not every AAA game gets the budget to do something like this with all the physics and interactions, let alone QA.

tengiants

It's an insult to the devs who put years of their life into this, for someone to call it creatively bankrupt; I'm embarrassed to read it. You not liking a design decision doesn't degrade the time and effort put into the game. The dumbest part is that the post starts with a terrible assumption and extrapolates. First of all, no other Zelda game has anything like the shrines, so it's not like they were needed. They could'ver easily called it a day with the divine beasts. The world itself, as has been repeatedly said by the devs, is a dungeon. Just traversing it, finding it all the secrets of it is supposed to be part of the "Zelda" experience. This is also why the hardest enemies are found in the world, not in a dungeon. And aesthetics is such a subjective nitpick, it comers off as entitled, "Yes there's this incredibly crafted world with all kinds of secrets, full day-night cycle, and I can literally go to the horizon, but these 120 unique puzzles have the same music and textures, pure laziness." If something is "missing" from your Zelda experience, it's most definitely on purpose, because the effort put into this game is top class.

And to the folks talking about the bosses not being hard, what 3d boss is hard that isn't because of motion controls? And they're even easier because they give you the weapon to kill them with.

Excited to read this, just unlocked this section.

I didn't mean to insult the devs. "Creatively bankrupt" may have been a little harsh. It's a 10/10 game, possibly my favorite of all time. I do love the dungeons and the shrines, a lot. It's just interesting design because they are all kinda same, and I'm interested in why they went with it when it flies in the face of other Zelda games. Creativity comes from restraints and I just think the Shrines may have been a creative solution to a deadline problem. Other pointed it out that they needed a way to fill out the expansive world and provide fast travel points, and that's very true. Either way I think Shrines were a creative solution to a problem, and just trying to determine what that problem was.

atr0cious

I didn't mean to insult the devs. "Creatively bankrupt" may have been a little harsh. It's a 10/10 game, possibly my favorite of all time. I do love the dungeons and the shrines, a lot. It's just interesting design because they are all kinda same, and I'm interested in why they went with it when it flies in the face of other Zelda games. Creativity comes from restraints and I just think the Shrines may have been a creative solution to a deadline problem. Other pointed it out that they needed a way to fill out the expansive world and provide fast travel points, and that's very true. Either way I think Shrines were a creative solution to a problem, and just trying to determine what that problem was.
That's not how game design works, especially like Alberto said, they've been working on the shrines for years.

MoonFrog

I like the shrines, a lot. I still think the tension between puzzle content and the extreme openness of BotW should be a key thing they think about going forward.

DKL

The funny thing is, from just the base, I feel like a lot of the shrines are better puzzles than a lot of the puzzles I've experienced in 3D Zelda games.

(and some of the sequence skips I've seen are amazing)

This is even before considering how cool some of the puzzles to even unlock these things are.

(the one in the lightning area was amazing and I had such an AH HA moment when I figured out what I should be doing)

I think people are turned off by the fact that the things have like one aesthetic and the illusion of buildup, but I'm okay with that mainly because I experienced so much variety in that area just making it to one of the shrines.

DrArchon

Completed the
Tarrey Town
quest chain. Can't believe I bombed all of those trees for
three diamonds
. Really doesn't seem worth it in the end.

Still, was a pretty fun quest chain all things considered. Do I have to do anything else to get the
shop that sells replacement unique gear
? Or does it just pop up when
one of my unique items breaks
?

MoonFrog

Moreover, I do think BotW was a damn good "flipping of the tea table." I think the courage to explore and reinvent is going to reward them and I don't think this was the wrong game for the franchise.

All of that is compatible with thinking, going forward, that the game has a lot to learn from past Zeldas and being interested in how Zelda team could adapt the BotW formula in that direction.

I wish the HUD wasn't all-or-nothing. I would love a partial mode that's just the hearts and mini map.

Or at least let me hide the champion powers. There's no reason for them to be on-screen at all.

atr0cious

Game design doesn't work with deadlines in mind? Okay...

The scope of the games is huge. Deadlines are going to be a thing you deal with.
Yes, but it's not your science fair project, you just don't say, "oh shit, it's due on a week, here just break these nebulous puzzles we've been toiling on and throw them around the world. We do need fast travel so too birds with one stone!" The shrines have world logic and function about them. Sure they can save time with aesthetics, but if that's what they wanted to begin with, especially with the ingame world logic, then they were probably more focused on making the actual puzzles, and QAing the dozens of ways each can be interacted with. You're suggesting they had some grand plan, maybe even another or a"classic"dungeon, when one of their pointed goals was to get away from that formula. It's why only the castle is a classic style dungeon, as it's the only hold over from the old Hyrule (more in game logic).

Golnei

I wish the HUD wasn't all-or-nothing. I would love a partial mode that's just the hearts and mini map.

Or at least let me hide the champion powers. There's no reason for them to be on-screen at all.

You could just disable them when you're not using them; but I agree that they take up too much space by default, even if they wanted to have the cooldowns always visible.

Seriously, how fucking many times does it have to rain in this game? Every game has its own things that you dislike and eventually might start to hate and rain might become one. It's insane how often it now rains in this area and especially when I want to climb.....i'm Just fucked. Slipping away from wet rocks for me is a good example of how it doesn't add anything other than annoyance.

I would like it if the weather system had been more like other games. Just rain now and then but not so often.

atr0cious

The funny thing is, from just the base, I feel like a lot of the shrines are better puzzles than a lot of the puzzles I've experienced in 3D Zelda games.

(and some of the sequence skips I've seen are amazing)

This is even before considering how cool some of the puzzles to even unlock these things are.

(the one in the lightning area was amazing and I had such an AH HA moment when I figured out what I should be doing)

I think people are turned off by the fact that the things have like one aesthetic and the illusion of buildup, but I'm okay with that mainly because I experienced so much variety in that area just making it to one of the shrines.
The shrines are so much better. The main difficulty of 3d Zelda dungeons was always aesthetics, what door was that in, did i miss some hallway? That's not fun, it's a little cheap and you don't truly feel rewarded just for remembering that one chest in a room. The shrines lay everything out for you and expect you to figure out out, some even have door keys.
Seriously, how fucking many times does it have to rain in this game? Every game has its own things that you dislike and eventually might start to hate and rain might become one. It's insane how often it now rains in this area and especially when I want to climb.....i'm Just fucked. Slipping away from wet rocks for me is a good example of how it doesn't add anything other than annoyance.

I would like it if the weather system had been more like other games. Just rain now and then but not so often.
Look for another way up, if it's raining, they have a way for you to get there. Or look for an overhang and pass the time.

They look amazing as well. Big ass crocs.

Yup. Epic fight too, until I learned the easy way to take them out. I love how cinematic Zelda got without sacrificing gameplay. Narrowly evading a rising Molduga while sand sealing is a thrill.

The music is so damn good. Those violins my God: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyhYmGzKLU

Gerudo region stays winning. Music, fights, dungeons, NPCs.

The Lanayru area is just amazing. I lit a torch to keep myself warm and it just added to the whole atmosphere.

I accidentally went up Mt. Lanayru about 10 hours in and havent been back since. Def gonna keep this in mind.

I took a torch to Gerudo Highlands and I felt like I was in Antarctica.

tengiants

Yes, but it's not your science fair project, you just don't say, "oh shit, it's due on a week, here just break these nebulous puzzles we've been toiling on and throw them around the world. We do need fast travel so too birds with one stone!" The shrines have world logic and function about them. Sure they can save time with aesthetics, but if that's what they wanted to begin with, especially with the ingame world logic, then they were probably more focused on making the actual puzzles, and QAing the dozens of ways each can be interacted with. You're suggesting they had some grand plan, maybe even another or a"classic"dungeon, when one of their pointed goals was to get away from that formula. It's why only the castle is a classic style dungeon, as it's the only hold over from the old Hyrule (more in game logic).

I think a smart game designer would have a grand plan to create their best game ever, and then whittle away based on the various constraints that are hurled at them during the project. It could be early on in the project they made the decision to go with shrines, or it could be later. It doesn't matter really. Aonuma said himself that he could do better next time, hinting that there were sacrifices that needed to be made. Maybe the shrines were one of them? I'm surprised there isn't even a different colored shrine even. Why not green? Why not yellow? Maybe there is lore behind it? I'm not done with the game yet.

I love the aesthetic of the shrines overall, and "creatively bankrupt" again was rather harsh of me. I do feel it's like Portal where the game design really shines over the art direction, and maybe that's a factor as to why the shrines puzzles stand out as excellent? Metal Gear VR missions were similar. Plain yet very fun.

Dreavus

Well gang, I've started to realize something about BOTW , once the main quest starts to wind down and you've found all the towers ... the sense of discovery diminishes and with it goes at least some of the joy of exploring the world.

It's not much of a drop mind you but , so far the most fun I've had with this game was right after completing one dungeon , just going around and seeing what was out there until I had the map nearly filled out. I wasn't even being very thorough with searching areas, just checking them out , doing whatever shrines were obvious. Finding korok seeds by accident.

Now , I'm at this weird place with the game where a good 30% of the map is left just sitting there for no real reason unless I , as a player, want to go do that stuff. It feels like they could have cut down the number of shrines by ... say half ? and put in 4 other dungeons instead to make sure people DID need to go everywhere.

I mean, it's a very small strange issue I'm having now because I've "seen" most of the game at this point but not really experienced all of it. There is most assuredly some burnout happening, over 50 hours into it at this point with at least 10 more by my estimate to finish the game off.

Basically... I wonder now , if 10 years in the future many people will look back on BOTW in the same way we all look at OOT, that is - "oh yeah that game was a masterpiece" but no one actually ever wants to play it again because half the fun of it was seeing and experiencing all of it for the first time.

I suppose my core issue is that I feel like, as great as this as all been so far , I wish it would have ended after 40 hours and the map was 60% smaller to accommodate that. The hidden subtext here is that I ACTUALLY wish the game was less addicting so I could have spent (some of the)95% of my spare time these past 2 weeks doing something other than playing this.

Odd complaint to have , I know. "this game is almost too good". But there it is.

It sounds weird to spell it out, but unfortunately this game is not infinite. I wish it was! I was lamenting not being able to explore the actual uncrossable map boundary because I love surveying the land so much.

Eventually you will see all there is to see if you want to track it down. I agree that exploring is one of, if not THE best part, of playing this game. But yes, eventually that too will wind down once you've seen it all. There is A LOT to see though.

This is not the kind of game to replay immediately, but I definitely see myself coming back it sometime in the future (of course, we won't know for sure until time has passed but I am pretty confident in saying that).

I'm not sure why you'd want to cut down the size of the world though! That would cause you to arrive at this weird exploratory limbo you're at even sooner. The thrill of exploration is not something that needs to be forced by more story dungeons IMO. As others have said, you can finish the game at the time of your choosing. I've been playing for the better part of 60 hours and am just now doing one of the divine beasts. Others have beaten it with just one, or even none. You can take out what you put into it.

Maybe this is all because I haven't finished the game though. You sound like you're describing the post-game, which personally I would rather hold off on until I feel like I've got what I want out of Hyrule. I've poked around the castle and I might even be able to take on Ganon right now, but I'd rather continue scouring the land. Maybe that's part of it?

Deku Tree

Completed the
Tarrey Town
quest chain. Can't believe I bombed all of those trees for
three diamonds
. Really doesn't seem worth it in the end.

Still, was a pretty fun quest chain all things considered. Do I have to do anything else to get the
shop that sells replacement unique gear
? Or does it just pop up when
one of my unique items breaks
?

He just lives in one of the houses.

He is on the upstairs porch of one of the houses closest to the entrance. he is always there.

Chaos17

If you want to talk about struggle of making a game, please go over Reddit (sub for gamedev) because some of you seems don't understand how coding is difficult compared to have just ideas on paper.
Nintendo have the engine now to make better Zelda and we all know how the port to Switch was not meant to be and made Nintendo suffer.

So let's not put "our science" here when not many have watched, read any gamedesign stuff from at least GDC and testemonies. That's just stupidto talk something out of your league. You can say, X stuff could have been done better or X stuff wasn't to your taste. But any technical stuff should not be talked lightly like "oh I know but never tried to make a game myself" It's like saying you like eating pie and want to improuve the recipe but don't know how to cook and what you need to cook it.

I'm sorry, but do you go into every thread where there is a criticism about any AAA game? Because I promise you the developers of those games also devoted years of there life to their game.That doesn't excuse it from criticism. What an absurd notion. I love this game, it's definitely a 10/10, but to say that the shrines aren't all the same visually is just false. The puzzles are great, for the most part they are fun, but I was disappointed in how they all look the same as well. A little bit of visual variety wouldn't have hurt. Does it really detract from the game? Nah, not really, but if I had to point out somewhere where they could make improvements, visual variety of the shrines would be one of them.

Theres no need to be so insulting towards other people. Don't call people stupid and tell them you're embarrassed for them. The game has one of the highest critical ratings of all time. Somehow I think the develops feelings won't be hurt by minor criticisms from a random forum dweller.

He was responding to the idea that the shrines were "rushed" and not disputing that they all look the same.

atr0cious

I think a smart game designer would have a grand plan to create their best game ever, and then whittle away based on the various constraints that are hurled at them during the project. It could be early on in the project they made the decision to go with shrines, or it could be later. It doesn't matter really. Aonuma said himself that he could do better next time, hinting that there were sacrifices that needed to be made. Maybe the shrines were one of them? I'm surprised there isn't even a different colored shrine even. Why not green? Why not yellow? Maybe there is lore behind it? I'm not done with the game yet.
It's one tribe taking care of the shrines. Colors are so you can know what and if you've completed them from a distance, while balancing with the world's palette. Why is the shrines function a negative? What makes Zelda different than any other rpg? Puzzles, dungeons being giant puzzle boxes. So if they were trying to fulfill any negative it would be, how do we let the player experience "Zelda" at almost anytime they want, while also providing a full scale world? You turn the world into a puzzle box and throw puzzles all around it, even making finding them a part of that. The moving beasts add to this, as you have to find a way to even approach them. Again, you not liking something doesn't mean they somehow fucked up and this isn't what they wanted to do from the start.

The shrines are so much better. The main difficulty of 3d Zelda dungeons was always aesthetics, what door was that in, did i miss some hallway? That's not fun, it's a little cheap and you don't truly feel rewarded just for remembering that one chest in a room. The shrines lay everything out for you and expect you to figure out out, some even have door keys.
Look for another way up, if it's raining, they have a way for you to get there. Or look for an overhang and pass the time.

Sometimes you really are fucked man. I was paragliding to this labyrinth and I ended up on the wall of it, just a short bit to climb was left and then the rain started. Was nothing else to do other than wait for the rain to go away and this didn't happen. So fast travel back to another spot. It sucks when that happens.

tengiants

It's one tribe taking care of the shrines. Colors are so you can know what and if you've completed them from a distance, while balancing with the world's palette. Why is the shrines function a negative? What makes Zelda different than any other rpg? Puzzles, dungeons being giant puzzle boxes. So if they were trying to fulfill any negative it would be, how do we let the player experience "Zelda" at almost anytime they want, while also providing a full scale world? You turn the world into a puzzle box and throw puzzles all around it, even making finding them a part of that. The moving beasts add to this, as you have to find a way to even approach them. Again, you not liking something doesn't mean they somehow fucked up and this isn't what they wanted to do from the start.

That is really interesting and I appreciate the reply, and that's good game design. I think you're confused at where I'm coming from. I love this game and it's design and everything about it. Even the shrines. As I said before, shrines are my favorite part of the game, and the fact that it holds my attention despite looking samey is a testament to how amazing the game actually is.

Sometimes you really are fucked man. I was paragliding to this labyrinth and I ended up on the wall of it, just a short bit to climb was left and then the rain started. Was nothing else to do other than wait for the rain to go away and this didn't happen. So fast travel back to another spot. It sucks when that happens.
Plop wood down with some flint, start a fire and pass the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom