• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regginator

Does anyone find some of the side quests just a bit meh...??

Dont get me wrong there are some decent ones but i find myself ignoring a lot of it " fetch 10 of this" "kill this thing" "give me this ingredient" I just dont want to do any of this stuff at all.

I think im spoilt by Witcher 3 in this regard.

just got the MOST ANNOYING MISSION

THAT GOD DAMN INSTA FAIL STEALTH !!!!! AHHHHH (Korok woods trials). I still havent done it yet, Must have tried 10 times now

I can't say I've had any trouble with the
Korok stealth
trial. Just stay follow him from a reasonable distance, not too close, and crouch from tree to tree. If you come to the
wolf
, quickly kill it, and continue.

The game will only mark one main quest objective on your map at a time. If you make any progress in a different main quest, the markers for the divine beasts will disappear and the markers for that quest will appear instead.

If you want the game to be easier, upgrade hearts instead of stamina and follow the main quest. The game will not stop you from going to places with enemies well out of your league early on.
Yeah...I'll try to upgrade hearts. I feel like this game is doing it's best to make me not want to explore, which is depressing. Two shrines I ran into right in a row both had guardians inside that one hit kill, and they weren't far from quests or anything either. I am at a point I am ready to just beat this game and be done, and this is only my 3rd day.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yay finally found a second great fairy. Dont have all the mats needed for all the gear this time tho ;_;

Yeah...I'll try to upgrade hearts. I feel like this game is doing it's best to make me not want to explore, which is depressing. Two shrines I ran into right in a row both had guardians inside that one hit kill, and they weren't far from quests or anything either. I am at a point I am ready to just beat this game and be done, and this is only my 3rd day.

I'd probably just stop playing. Doesn't sound like it's for you. No use in continuing to play something you aren't enjoying. The game is all about exploration. It's a very non-linear game and early on, you're going to die a lot.

Golnei

I wish they'd keep monster parts, animals, and food separate in the inventory.

Is there any reason to hoard basic stuff like bokoblin fangs etc? Seem to be overflowing with them

Press Y to sort your inventory, it separates them automatically.

ckaneo

Dont get me wrong there are some decent ones but i find myself ignoring a lot of it " fetch 10 of this" "kill this thing" "give me this ingredient" I just dont want to do any of this stuff at all.

THAT GOD DAMN INSTA FAIL STEALTH !!!!! AHHHHH (Korok woods trials). I still havent done it yet, Must have tried 10 times now
The side quest are bad, but the shrine quest are A1

woodland

Anyone know good places to farm Bokoblin guts? Need them to upgrade my armor and all I find in the areas I usually go are Lizalfos/Moblins ;\

ckaneo

I'm really wanting to love this game, but the combat is really killing me...not even the durability, which I'm not against. The fighting itself just doesn't seem too fun. Maybe I'm just annoyed that the last few places I've explored have had monsters that wreck me due to one hit kills or me not having arrows or something to properly deal with them with. Then I have to leave, and spend forever getting somewhere else with this annoying stamina system just to get killed there also.

Really wanna love this....

Also, is it a glitch that the markers Impa put on my map for villages to do divine beast quests have disappeared twice now?
You have to embrace cooking. If you know how to cook you can defeat anything rather easily

ciD_Vain

Theres a
book on top of a tree in Washas Bluff
. It lists all of them.

Code:
Is there a way to know how many Kass Quests I have left?

There's a place in Tabantha where Kass has a book with all his songs/quests listed.

Yes, but I seriously recommend not looking up his locations. Finding a new Kass spot after thinking you've found them all is one of the best feelings in the game, in my opinion.
Thanks guys. I just realized that it's been about 50 hrs since I've seen him so I figured I did all of his quests already. Turns out
he's back at Rito Village! Time to head back!

I'd probably just stop playing. Doesn't sound like it's for you. No use in continuing to play something you aren't enjoying. The game is all about exploration. It's a very non-linear game and early on, you're going to die a lot.
Yeah. I'm done. Horizon Zero Dawn spoiled me. This exploration just isn't doing it for me.

stoke1863

TW3's sidequests tend to boil down to "follow this trail to find this person or thing", but they have interesting stories and characters tied to them.

It excels in story, but not in gameplay, where BotW destroys it. It all depends on what's most important to you in a video game.

This is true actually, im very story focused player.

I think in TW3 even side stuff had a good reward (as in story) where in Zelda if i fetch that due some Goron Spice he will just say Thanks bro... cya.

Thats why im ignoring a lot of stuff that doesnt sound compelling, Its not like i earn XP to level up in Zelda i literally get nothing but thank you from those really small quests.

Yes there are a still good chunk of side stuff that is cool and there are compelling reasons to do them (like equipment and stuff) but in general there for me is waaay more filler side stuff that is pointless.

Still a fantastic game though.

Weird thing. I thought I was getting to a stage in this game where I was winding down and done. Like a week ago or so, felt like I was drawing to a close and bored of it all, especially after finishing the main quest.

All of a sudden last few days I've gone crazy into it and probably am more in love with it than ever. I started exploring areas on the map where I hadn't found shrines nor explored thoroughly yet and it just keeps me hooked. Still seeing new unique stuff at this stage is amazing.

I played 7 hours today. My total game clock is approaching 80.

Kyuur

It's kind of funny that you complain about the basic quests and then proceed to immediately complain about the exact-opposite type of quest. :lol: Fetch quests are fetch quests though, I don't set out to do them when I'm given, just return whenever I already have whatever is needed. There's a far greater amount of other quests anyways.

psyfi

Banned
Weird thing. I thought I was getting to a stage in this game where I was winding down and done. Like a week ago or so, felt like I was drawing to a close and bored of it all, especially after finishing the main quest.

All of a sudden last few days I've gone crazy into it and probably am more in love with it than ever. I started exploring areas on the map where I hadn't found shrines nor explored thoroughly yet and it just keeps me hooked. Still seeing new unique stuff at this stage is amazing.

Same thing happened to me. I played a ton for the first two weeks, got burnt out, and barely played for a week... and then got sucked right back in. I think I got bummed that there was less for me to find, but I just needed to approach things with a different mindset and realize that now the game is about tracking down those few remaining prizes, not the more rapid / constant gratification of early exploration. I really love the hunt. I spent years trying to figure out how to get the last twenty stars in Super Mario 64 as a kid, and it's going to be the same with the last twenty shrines in BOTW. :)

I finally finished the game yesterday morning....125 hours played. I'm finally at a place where I'm ready to play other things, but I'm very much anticipating the DLC.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I just found the
Lord of the Mountain for the second time. First time I just shot three explosive arrows at everything in the hopes of getting tons of rupees, but this time I realized he looked like a horse and tried to tame it. Didn't succeed, and I know you can't register it anyway, but still. And here I thought the game couldn't get more 'Mononoke-y' than with the elk/deerback riding.

This game, man. No game can please everyone, but I'm sincerely sorry for the people who can't enjoy it. To me, it effortlessly blows away every single open world game I've ever played, with the possible exception of Star Control 2. SC2 is the anti-BotW in a way. It's as non-linear as BotW, but its biggest strengths are its universe, story and writing. Then again it's 25 years old. The gameplay is just good. BotW is kind of the opposite: the physics/system-based gameplay was clearly the leading design aspect from which everything else is derived.

In my view, the only valid reasons why you might enjoy BotW less than other open-world games is if you don't like the setting, the graphics (artstyle and/or technology) and/or if you care a lot more about writing and story than gameplay variety. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but BotW just oozes fun and wondrous moments to me.

Also, I haven't beaten a single dungeon yet but I've already got
the master swooooooord of dooooooooooooom
lol.

What a masterpiece.

Dartastic

Can anyone help me? I'm at IKEA and I realize I wanna frame the Calamity Ganon tapestry but I can't find dimensions online, which makes buying a frame difficult. Does anyone know? Help pleaseeee

stoke1863

It's kind of funny that you complain about the basic quests and then proceed to immediately complain about the exact-opposite type of quest. :lol: Fetch quests are fetch quests though, I don't set out to do them when I'm given, just return whenever I already have whatever is needed. There's a far greater amount of other quests anyways.

I get you :p but that is literally the only "other" type of side quest that has annoyed me.

Alpha_eX

Can anyone help me? I'm at IKEA and I realize I wanna frame the Calamity Ganon tapestry but I can't find dimensions online, which makes buying a frame difficult. Does anyone know? Help pleaseeee

I haven't found this side quest yet, and there was me thinking the love letter one was crazy as it gets!

psyfi

Banned
I've seen people mention The Lord of
the Mountain
a few times and I have no idea who / what it is. And that's after logging in 110+ hours! No one tell me, I want to figure it out on my own. I'm also really curious about [major location spoiler, presumably]
the floating island
people keep talking about.

I love this game.

Golnei

is there a reason that every single child that gives you a quest talks about like, a dead relative.

The adults presumably are more emotionally guarded and/or numb to loss, and would be less likely to open up to random travelers about their dead relatives. Their dead horses, however...

Same thing happened to me. I played a ton for the first two weeks, got burnt out, and barely played for a week... and then got sucked right back in. I think I got bummed that there was less for me to find, but I just needed to approach things with a different mindset and realize that now the game is about tracking down those few remaining prizes, not the more rapid / constant gratification of early exploration. I really love the hunt. I spent years trying to figure out how to get the last twenty stars in Super Mario 64 as a kid, and it's going to be the same with the last twenty shrines in BOTW. :)

Mario 64 is a great comparison. This game feels like a Mario 64 of this age to me. That same awe at being able to explore and find stuff in the order you want. But not on a per level basis. On a freakin' whole World Map basis. It's everything one would dream video games to be.

It's a shame this had to be my first Zelda haha

I finally finished the game yesterday morning....125 hours played. I'm finally at a place where I'm ready to play other things, but I'm very much anticipating the DLC.

It's blowing my mind that there's going to be DLC. We're going to get more of this masterpiece for goodness sake! I can't comprehend it. By that time I'll have a Switch so being able to play Portable as well...damn!

So I'm down to one shrine left. I've been roaming everywhere, hoping the sensor will beep. Finally I give up and look at a map, and apparently the one I'm missing is
inside Hyrule Castle
!? WTF? Talk about the one place I wasn't looking!

psyfi

Banned
I'm sure this has been said a million times but strangely I've never seen it mentioned: anyone else constantly reminded of Princess Mononoke as they play this?

I was SO BUMMED that we can't keep
an elk
as a mount.

octopiggy

How long does it take fruit to respawn on trees? I messed up a Korok puzzle, waited for a blood moon to try again but it's still not there.

Bsigg12

I'm sure this has been said a million times but strangely I've never seen it mentioned: anyone else constantly reminded of Princess Mononoke as they play this?

an elk
as a mount.

There are a few other mounts you can't register which is a real bummer.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
*mild spoilers*

So the 'correct' route for the beasts is Zora (done) then Goron City? Reached it but didn't enter yet the "dungeon" (I guess) should I stock up again on anti-hot elixirs? Isn't there a suit to find instead of relying on elixirs like there was to go to the mountains (given by the king)?

Or should I go to a different beast first?

Thanks!

There's no "correct" route to take in this game and that includes which order to tackle the Divine Beasts.

That being said, here's the order in terms of dungeon complexity. From easiest to hardest:

Rito, Goron, Zora, Gerudo

Although I suppose you could argue the middle two.

Vlaphor

My recommendation is to do the desert one first, since the ability you get from that makes all of the other boss fights incredibly easy.

Stopdoor

So I'm down to one shrine left. I've been roaming everywhere, hoping the sensor will beep. Finally I give up and look at a map, and apparently the one I'm missing is
inside Hyrule Castle
!? WTF? Talk about the one place I wasn't looking!

I forget who, but
I feel some character mentions this somewhere in the world. Of course that was after I'd already heard about it online, but still. It's also a pretty obvious puzzle once you solve it.

So I think I encountered the first major (and spooky) bug ~80 hours in. I did the labyrinth in the far north and completed its shrine. Upon exiting some Stalhorses appeared in the highlands along the northwest wall of the labyrinth, so I killed the Stalkoblin riders and started riding one and feeding it apples. As I was feeding it, morning came and killed them all as to be expected.

I found out later that an NPC needed a picture of one for a side quest, so I headed back over to the labyrinth as suggested to find them again... but not one spawned over the course of the night. What's weirder was that one of them appeared to spawn for a fraction of a second but then instantly disappeared. This really freaked me out when you combine it with the already eerie atmosphere of the far north labyrinth.

Idk what this "ghost horse" means, but I can't complete this side quest now because of this bug. Do the Stalhorses spawn in any other locations?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

an elk
as a mount.

Yes, me, last post, last page :p. Let me quote myself
I just found the
Lord of the Mountain for the second time. First time I just shot three explosive arrows at everything in the hopes of getting tons of rupees, but this time I realized he looked like a horse and tried to tame it. Didn't succeed, and I know you can't register it anyway, but still. And here I thought the game couldn't get more 'Mononoke-y' than with the elk/deerback riding.

To be fair, my Mononoke reference is in the spoilered part. No, it's not about the elks/deer, it's something else that you definitely haven't come across in any videos or coverage of the game unless you've been activelly looking up spoilers and secrets. I'm torn between telling you "don't read it you'll spoil another great Mononoke-inspired moment" and "read it because you might miss the thing while playing and it's so awesome aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah dis game dis game dis game".

So I think I encountered the first major (and spooky) bug ~80 hours in. I did the labyrinth in the far north and completed its shrine. Upon exiting some Stalhorses appeared in the highlands along the northwest wall of the labyrinth, so I killed the Stalkoblin riders and started riding one and feeding it apples. As I was feeding it, morning came and killed them all as to be expected.

I found out later that an NPC needed a picture of one for a side quest, so I headed back over to the labyrinth as suggested to find them again... but not one spawned over the course of the night. What's weirder was that one of them appeared to spawn for a fraction of a second but then instantly disappeared. This really freaked me out when you combine it with the already eerie atmosphere of the far north labyrinth.

Idk what this "ghost horse" means, but I can't complete this side quest now because of this bug. Do the Stalhorses spawn in any other locations?

There are Stalhorses in several places. Off the top of my head, I saw some in Grinnden Plains near Lake Hylia, and by Rutile Lake by Satori Mountain. She doesn't care if the photo is from that area or not.

I've seen them twice and both were above Pagos Woods on the top of a hill.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What do people mean when they say this games over world is one big dungeon? I kinda get it but don't at the same time

It doesn't make much sense. They probably mean that the game's main dish, unlike past Zelda games, isn't the dungeons, but the overworld. The overworld has most of the cool shit, all the difficulty, and it's one big area with no loading times. There are fewer dungeons than usual, and although I haven't done any of them yet, most people seem to agree that they're not what this game is about, except maybe the desert dungeon apaprently? Also, there is basically zero visual variety between all the dungeons and shrines, and most of the puzzles are sprayed out over said 120 shrines. They're bite-sized puzzle-only dungeons, basically. Lastly, they're cut off from the overworld. They require loading.

All in all, they feel like an afterthought. Heck, in my opinion, they have no place in this game at all, though I don't mind the shrines because they're short and they sometimes give you nice rewards. An upgraded BotW formula would ideally give you underworld areas with really tough mazes, enemies, bosses, and no loading times. Those areas would feel like Zelda 1/2 dungeons, essentially, except they'd feel like a part of the world. One big, multi-layered world. Do it, Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom