• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Staff Analysis

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
C53BU_TVAAAwyUu.jpg

Courtesy of Kyoto Report, here is a brief analysis of Breath of the Wild development team.

Lead Staff

Director
Hidemaro Fujibayashi (Director of Skyward Sword)

Assistant Director
Daiki Iwamoto (Director of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks)

Lead Planner
Kentaro Tominaga (A Link Between Worlds and Skyward Sword)

Program Director
Takuhiro Dohta (Wind Waker HD and Nintendo Land)

Art Director
Satoru Takizawa (Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time)

Sound Director
Hajime Wakai (Skyward Sword)

Music Composer
Manaka Kataoka (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
Yasuaki Iwata (Mario Kart 8)

Script
Akihito Toda (Pokemon Ranger, Super Smash Bros. 3DS)

Assistant Producer
Makoto Miiyanaga (Director of Link's Crossbow Training)

Producer
Eiji Aonuma

General Producer
Shinya Takahashi (current R&D Manager)
Shigeru Miyamoto (previous R&D Manager)

Developer:
Nintendo Co., Ltd. (EPD Production Group No. 3?)

Assistant: (Listed in order game credits them)
SRD Co., Ltd. (Nintendo funded programming team located in Nintendo's Kyoto Development Center, assisted programming)
Monolith Software Inc. (assisted over-world topography / additional graphic art)

Cooperation:
Anima Inc.
AnimationCafe INC.
AVANT Inc. (additional graphic art)
charabans,inc.
Digital Environment Creations Inc.
Digital Frontier Inc. (additional graphic art)
ENIGMAX? Co., Ltd.
GART 3DCG STUDIO Inc.
Graphinica, Inc.
IMAGICA DIGITALSCAPE Co.,Ltd. / BAUHAUS ENTERTAINMENT (additional graphic art)
ModelingCafe INC.
NAC Inc.
Q'tron,Inc.
quack-luck Inc.
SEVEN DREAMS INC.
TOSE CO., LTD.
Twenty Eleven Co.Ltd. (additional graphic art)
WITCHCRAFT Inc.
Mario Club Co., Ltd.
DIGITAL Hearts Co.,Ltd.
Kenproduction Co., Ltd.
ARTSVISION Co.,Ltd.
Sound Racer Ltd. (additional sound design)
Ventuno Inc. (additional sound design)
Face Music
Formosa Group
KiteTeam a Keywords Studio
SIDE UK
Keywords Studios

- Notes -
* Hiromasa Shikata nor Shiro Mouri of the 2D Zelda team contributed to this game
* Near 400 names credited. Not including entire companies.
* 100+ Nintendo in-house staff
* 100~ SRD, Monolith, Mario Club Nintendo of America, Nintendo of Europe
* 100+ Outsource companies
* Nintendo and Platinum Games have adopted similar art outsourcing strategies.

Script

I guess I should reign back my hope for a story focused Zelda, yeah? Ha.

So close, GAF. Can't wait for Friday.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Script

I imagine the scenario came from one of the Nintendo creative leads. Toda is just there for the literal text.

tauroxd

Script

Which how much focus they are putting in the freedom the game lets you have, why hold on to the hope of a heavy story focused game?

I'm not saying there it is not going to be a story, but think more of MGSV.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Script

Being a script director does not mean he is creating the story. It means he is writing the story.

Which how much focus they are putting in the freedom the game lets you have, why hold on to the hope of a heavy story focused game?

I'm one of the weirdos who cares about Zelda lore. :p Not proud of it, lol. But I like the fact that they tried to link the games together. It's fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Enforced

Music Composer

39108-infinite-mother-of-god-gif-per-NfEC.gif

Mario kart 8 soundtracks is incredible. I was expecting Ryo Nagamatsu to be on the list. He did great job in zelda between world.

I'm so hyped for this game. Can't wait!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Music Composer

39108-infinite-mother-of-god-gif-per-NfEC.gif

Mario kart 8 soundtracks is incredible. I was expecting Ryo Nagamatsu to be on the list. He did great job in zelda between world.

I'm so hyped for this game. Can't wait!

Nagamatsu was busy on Tank Troopers.

Monolith Software Inc. (assisted over-world topography / additional graphic art)

I kept getting big Xenoblade Chronicles X vibes whenever I saw mountains or stuff two cliffs with a river flowing through.

It seems flat surfaces on rocks are how you regain stamina between climbing. In X that's how I would jump to new areas and scale stuff super early. Way before I got a mech I had reached the last continent and explored a lot of stuff early.

I hope I can do the same with Breath of the Wild.

I believe its 2 million.

2 million is the number of copies they need to sell to break even.

Lingitiz

Huh... no way. This is grossly underestimating video game projects budgeting lol

Well I guess if you think about it...they're not spending crazy budgets on voice talent, performance capture tech, live action marketing pieces, weird mainstream product partnerships, and other things along those lines.

Well I guess if you think about it...they're not spending crazy budgets on voice talent, performance capture tech, live action marketing pieces, weird mainstream product partnerships, and other things along those lines.

You don't pay 300 people on for 5 years with 2 millions dollar.

Teran

There's always that one Japanese guy with a surgical mask.

Cute picture though, can't wait for the game to come out tomorrow. :eek:

skypunch

Banned
Side UK did the voice work for Xenoblade. The voice work in Xenoblade was great so I have no idea why they dropped the ball on Zelda.

Maybe the less good voice acting came from another company...

Side UK did the voice work for Xenoblade. The voice work in Xenoblade was great so I have no idea why they dropped the ball on Zelda.

Maybe the less good voice acting came from another company...

Side UK didn't do the English voice recording for this. Presumably Side UK's responsibility was the various European languages. They do language production and localization for several games' European languages. Smash Bros. was a game where they had a similar responsibility.

http://side.com/work/localisation-projects/

The English voice recording was directed by Jamie Mortellaro and done in Los Angeles.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Script

Besides what has already been pointed out in that he doesnt create the story, and despite smash 3DS not even having a story to begin with

skypunch

Banned
Side UK didn't do the English voice recording. Side UK's responsibility was the various European languages. They do language production and localization for several games' European languages.

The English voice recording was directed by Jamie Mortellaro and done in Los Angeles.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. No way would Side UK deliver such an awful dub. That Jamie guy should think about handing voice direction duties to someone else.

Remember, a lot of the big names in Nintendo got their start on Zelda titles especially the younger ones.

Aya Kyogoku (Producer on Animal Crossing series) - First Nintendo game was Four Swords Adventures
Tsubasa Sakaguchi (Director on Splatoon) - First game credited for was Twilight Princess
Kosuke Yabuki (Producer of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS) - First game credited was Twilight Princes
Hiromasa Shikata (Director of ALBW and TFH) - First worked on Ocarina of Time
Yugo Hayashi (Director of Star Fox Zero) - First worked on Twilight Princess
Yoshiaki Koizumi - First worked on Link to the Past

Ah, thanks for the heads up. No way would Side UK deliver such an awful dub.

Oh, don't worry about it. Based on the names in the credits I have a feeling Nintendo produced the dub non-union. And yeah, Side UK set a really high standard so I was really hoping they'd be in charge of this one. Ah well. At least there's Xenoblade 2, hopefully...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That is still a far, far, far cry of 2 millions dollars in anyway you can twist it

I literally just explained this as have others. the information you were given was that 2 million copies sold would break even with the budget which means that the budget for the game was potentially around 120 million dollars. idk why that's confusing or why you continue to believe the budget was 2 million dollars.

I literally just explained this as have others. the information you were given was that 2 million copies sold would break even with the budget which means that the budget for the game was potentially around 120 million dollars. idk why that's confusing or why you continue to believe the budget was 2 million dollars.

Go check the comment chain again.

the information you were given was that 2 million copies sold

...no? Especially when Lingitiz replies back that my opinion of it being a gross underestimate of budget might be wrong.

And I see you edited your post when you saw it.

Thoraxes

I'm curious as to if Yokota handled orchestration since that's where more of his recent work has been (and he's very good at it and his touch is very easy to listen for). Once I hear the music in the game, it should become pretty obvious who handled that (unless someone gets a full music credits listing sooner).

Nanashrew

Banned
Remember, a lot of the big names in Nintendo got their start on Zelda titles especially the younger ones.

Aya Kyogoku (Producer on Animal Crossing series) - First Nintendo game was Four Swords Adventures
Tsubasa Sakaguchi (Director on Splatoon) - First game credited for was Twilight Princess
Kosuke Yabuki (Producer of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS) - First game credited was Twilight Princes
Hiromasa Shikata (Director of ALBW and TFH) - First worked on Ocarina of Time
Yugo Hayashi (Director of Star Fox Zero) - First worked on Twilight Princess
Yoshiaki Koizumi - First worked on Link to the Past

Yusuke Amano was in Special thanks for Four Swords Adventure. Unsure of what he did but that era was weird and the special thanks was also where they could put in extra debuggers, testers and give thanks to the Super Mario Club.

Amano was a debugger before moving up to Director.

Top Bottom