• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Staff Analysis

Cerium

Guys nobody here thinks the budget was 2 million, it's just been one misunderstanding after another.

Let's do better on Page 2 okay?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yusuke Amano was in Special thanks for Four Swords Adventure. Unsure of what he did but that era was weird and the special thanks was also where they could put in extra debuggers, testers and give thanks to the Super Mario Club.

Amano was a debugger before moving up to Director.

A lot of new staff start out debugging at Mario Club or the internal quality assurance group. Quite surprising when you make the connections.

Mechazawa

I literally just explained this as have others. the information you were given was that 2 million copies sold would break even with the budget which means that the budget for the game was potentially around 120 million dollars. idk why that's confusing or why you continue to believe the budget was 2 million dollars.

Because the original poster literally just said "2 million"

skypunch

Banned
Oh, don't worry about it. Based on the names in the credits I have a feeling Nintendo produced the dub non-union. And yeah, Side UK set a really high standard so I was really hoping they'd be in charge of this one. Ah well. At least there's Xenoblade 2, hopefully...

Yeah, their work on Xenoblade was fantastic. It's one of the most memorable JRPG dubs ever produced, imo. Fingers crossed they return for Xenoblade 2.

skypunch

Banned
It makes sense that the NOA dub is not as good as NOE's dub work for this game. I hope NOA stay far away from Xenoblade 2 as possible or we're gonna get a FUNimation dub.

I could tell none of the British accents were real British accents because of how forced and flat some of them sound. All done by Americans.

This thread lol. Like 50% people arguing over something they all agree on and 10% skypunch talking about dubs. Guess that's better than the usual Zelda thread arguing about whether or not Skyward Sword is good.

Most hyped for those credits on music and art. This game looks and sounds so amazing, possibly the best in the series.

mugwhump

I'd very much like to see EXACTLY how many people from Monolith worked on this. Their involvement received a lot of attention.

Jacobson

Whoops. Well anyways the 2 million refers to the amount of copies needed to sell for the break even, not the budget.

Considering that we can only buy the console with Zelda and 1 2 Switch bundled here in SEA, I'm pretty sure they're gonna reach that 2 million, no problem.

Cerium

Considering that we can only buy the console with Zelda and 1 2 Switch bundled here in SEA, I'm pretty sure they're gonna reach that 2 million, no problem.

2 million Switches on launch day with probably close to 100% attach rate and that's not counting the WiiU version.

They'll make the budget back day one.

morromocotudo

Neo Member
Whoops. Well anyways the 2 million refers to the amount of copies needed to sell for the break even, not the budget.

Here is the official translation of the quote:

Nintendo's core business is in the game industry, and the biggest problem there is the rising cost in terms of time and money needed to develop one game. How are you addressing this problem?

Kimishima:

The cost of developing game software has certainly grown over the last ten years. This is a big challenge, as there is no simple formula to calculate the size of how popular a game is going to be with consumers. That said, I think that developing with this in mind will be increasingly important.

Genyo Takeda (Senior Managing Director, Technology Fellow):

The thinking for a long time was that computer performance for a game should be dedicated entirely to the consumer’s enjoyment, but now times have changed and the common sense is that computer performance should also be used to improve productivity in making the game software itself. But what is most important is how we achieve balance. I am going to let Mr. Miyamoto speak, as he has spent a lot of time and energy on raising the productivity of software development while doing this balancing act.

Miyamoto:

In striking that balance, while it's important that we do not overextend by putting an excessive amount of content in our games, the only solution is how to make software that sells well. There will be big hits somewhere in our business, and they support the games that fail and allow us to take on other challenges. So our basic premise is to create software that will sell in the range of at least two million units. We simply couldn't recoup our costs if we only released games in Japan that had sales of around 300,000 units, so the global market is our standard.

Takahashi:

I also think the key word here is balance. This has a lot of aspects, such as knowing when we need to dedicate a lot of time and people to something and when we do not. Or ways to leverage game engines that are used for general purposes, and how to create our own game engines that lots of others can also make easy use of. For NX, we are thinking about many different development techniques based on these considerations.
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/160629qa/05.html

He was not talking specifically about Breath of the Wild.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm curious as to if Yokota handled orchestration since that's where more of his recent work has been (and he's very good at it and his touch is very easy to listen for). Once I hear the music in the game, it should become pretty obvious who handled that (unless someone gets a full music credits listing sooner).

Looks like Yokota is busy with Super Mario Odyssey.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'd very much like to see EXACTLY how many people from Monolith worked on this. Their involvement received a lot of attention.

There's a LOT of MonolithSoft employees there. And unlike the asset companies they're heavily involved in the Game Design section as well. Essentially all the unlinked names on that site for the Game Design section are Monolith people. I'd definitely say their involvement was worthy of attention, even if people want to speculate how much or little they did.

Galang

Banned
2 million to break even isn't bad at all; BotW will reach this easily. I imagine they'll be reusing the engine for the next game as well to make things even better

taps

Neo Member
I spotted one woman in the back and one in the middle. I think I see one more female but can't be sure. Anybody see any others?

Cerium

I spotted one woman in the back and one in the middle. I think I see one more female but can't be sure. Anybody see any others?

uuFji1o.jpg

Some ambiguous cases too.

Top Bottom