• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Will Have Streamlined Map And Menu Functions

Mista

Banned
the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-.jpg

In an interview with Wccftech, Nintendo of Canada’s Andrew Collins discussed the game at length. He talked about the game’s new art style, the upcoming amiibo for the game and whether or not he felt it was a game aimed at kids. When talking about new content, he stopped short of confirming bonus modes, but did say that the team had looked at streamlining the menus so players won’t spend as much time in them as the original Game Boy game, as well as changes to map markers that they hope will streamline the experience.
“One of the key things we’ve done, is we’ve taken a look at the original game, and tried to find ways to refine it. We looked at the menu system, because if you remember from the original, you do spend quite a bit of time in the menus. We’ve been able to reinvent the menu process, so you don’t spend nearly as much time in the menus. Another example is the map screen — now you can manage a lot more things, and put reminders in there. For example, if there’s a stone blocking a dungeon you can’t lift up yet, you can put a marker down there and come back when you’ve got some extra strength. The enemies are also more intelligent. In previous games, you could run past them and they wouldn’t react, but now they know that you’re there. So there are a lot of things that change how you play a little bit.”

mcjmetroid

I'm a little bit weary of this game. I really enjoyed Link's awakening at the time but I don't remember it being that long.

I'm hoping this game will have lots of content to justify it.

Hate to be a downer but after seeing that Breath of the Wild 2 trailer...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm a little bit weary of this game. I really enjoyed Link's awakening at the time but I don't remember it being that long.

it's about 15-20 hours long which i guess is decent. it's just a remake of a top down Zelda...what do you expect? it's not a huge open world 3d title.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good stuff, as much as I adore LA, the menu shit does get old quickly. Map thing's neat, too. It's definitely a "buy physical, complete in one weekend, sell" game, but I can't wait.

crumbs

The limited number of buttons is definitely one of the tougher parts of going back and playing the Zelda GB/GBC games. Sounds like menu improvements + more buttons will make for a smoother experience.

I don’t know why, but I’m not sold on this game. I loved the original, but I don’t know if this is the Zelda game to remaster. Maybe it’s weird style and spin-off status made it an obvious pick for Nintendo, but it wouldn’t have been my first choice. It’s not a long game, and there’s not really any optional side stuff. Maybe they’re banking on the dungeon creator for replayability? I’m probably being too negative.

Neff

I’m probably being too negative.

I don't think so. I adore LA, it's absolutely the greatest handheld game of all time, but I'm not sold on this port either. I dislike the art style, and I really dislike the twee woodwind music. I feel like they went in too hard on the cutesy charm, which is something I never associated with LA back in the day.

The game doesn't really seem to offer much that is new, which is great for those who've never played it- it's a masterpiece. But I'll be sitting it out.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

sorry man but i was like 12 when i played this game,
i was stuck for weeks on certain puzzles
no access to internet and such

i had dreams about solving the puzzles,

don't ruin the game with a guide figure it out yourself

Thurible

The map was a bit iffy. I recall it just be a very small tile by tile map that didn't show much about what was on the actual screen.

Also, having thw sword and shield dedicated to certain buttons is really going to free up inventory space. Toggling back and forth was a bit of a

Top Bottom