• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Story Trailer

They should've waited to release this on a later console with a larger install base if they wanted to pull any smart business moves. They blew yet another Zelda remake on a horribly selling console that can already play the original version.

You don't think it will sell???

I beg to differ.

Little effort, big price, people starved for Zelda...moneys.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Found the same spot in the original version, though on a blurry YouTube video:
6SMjcKA.png

Eyes look off too.

Oh, so it had duckface in the original too? I didn't remember that. Must be how that part is animated.

I haven't played all Zelda games. I don't know if the game is good or bad. I would like to play this someday. Wind Waker HD was great and gorgeous.

Meanwhile, this game... ugly as hell. I don't understand why Nintendo considers this remaster something good to celebrate Zelda's 25th anniversary, when they could have given us the same game looking like this:

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg

There is a new Zelda coming out this year, though and that's a tech demo. I'm pretty sure you know this both. To make TP HD look even remotely close to that tech demo would have mean to allocate all the Zelda resources to the remaster.

Oh, so it had duckface in the original too? I didn't remember that. Must be how that part is animated.

Yeah, people are freaking out over one still shot of one point in the game.

She seems to look fine otherwise from the few seconds of her moving in the video but I'm not saying better than the original.

Ridley327

I haven't played all Zelda games. I don't know if the game is good or bad. I would like to play this someday. Wind Waker HD was great and gorgeous.

Meanwhile, this game... ugly as hell. I don't understand why Nintendo considers this remaster something good to celebrate Zelda's 25th anniversary, when they could have given us the same game looking like this:

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg
Why would they put that effort into remaking an old game when they are also putting in serious effort on that level into a brand new game coming out in time for the anniversary?

Kouriozan

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg
Because Wii U happened and it was always going to not sell as good as it would on any other console = not worth the effort.

DNAbro

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg

Cause that would be a ridiculous amount of work. Retexturing and upgrading some models is much easier than remaking the game entirely.

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg

That would mean creating new assets, which is expensive. We're getting these re-releases because they're cheap to make compared to a full blown release.

greg400

Banned
Doesn't mean you can't just port it again. They'll make easy bank on this, and the next time they do it too.
They aren't going to port it again anytime soon, lets be realistic here.

What was the other Zelda that was already playable? This seems to be the first.
The yet another Zelda line was just referring to them releasing another one on a poor selling console.

You don't think it will sell???

I beg to differ.

Little effort, big price, people starved for Zelda...moneys.
Oh it'll sell pretty well, it would've sold better on a console that will have a larger install base down the road.

Wow, this game has not aged well visually. Yikes, I don't remember it looking this bad? It's one of my favorite Zeldas too.

Really hope there's a version with the amiibo, not interested in that plastic junk, especially for $79.99 plus tax.

It's a great game. But when i fired it up on my Wii i almost got sick from how sad the graphics looked. I liked the twilight realm, but that's about it visually.

A shame. Zelda deserves the best.

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg
That's a full remake and would take a ton of resources for a game so big

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ilia looks ugly as sin. I don't know if they changed her model but some of the humans look hideous in HD.

It's a shame this had to be outsourced, with a Wind Waker HD level of attention this could have been amazing. What we've ended up with is just the Wii game in HD, I know they have improved some textures but the blandness of the art style is really painful when it's in HD clarity. It needed some new lighting at the very least.

Ilia looks ugly as sin. I don't know if they changed her model but some of the humans look hideous in HD.

It's a shame this had to be outsourced, with a Wind Waker HD level of attention this could have been amazing. What we've ended up with is just the Wii game in HD, I know they have improved some textures but the blandness of the art style is really painful when it's in HD clarity. It needed some new lighting at the very least.

All that matters is what Malo looks like.

He's the only gamechanger.

ash_ag

This HD Remaster is living proof of how amazingly optimised for GCN Twilight Princess really was. The lighting tricks they used made it look much better than it really was. The end-result was super impressive for its time.

When you take that game and up-port it with only negligible technical improvements and little to no optimization, it shows its ugliest face. Its ugliest face is still a decent offering on its own, but it's nowhere near as worthy of respect as the original TP.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
hVKsq6u.gif

It might just be because of the softer lighting, but it does give the illusion that her nose is a fraction longer pushing her lips out a bit.

The stronger shadows around her eyes looked better as well.

Human's are great with recognising faces and the fact everyone thinks something looked off speaks volumes.

EDIT: And yeah, her irises are clearly bigger now. Less white around them.

I think the model looks the same as back on GCN/Wii, but looks more off due to the better image quality, and that's why we notice that now.

I think her eyes have a too large iris, plus a different lighting that .... shows the duckface better than before.
Most humans, sans Link and Zelda, look off.

Man, the game never was a looker, and the art-style hasn't aged well.

Makes me think if Skyward Sword would have a better transition because of it's different art-style.

Ilia gone wrong.

Yeah, cel-shaded games are timeless, WW already looked good in 1080p (Dolphin) before the remake.

Yeah, Wind Waker HD's core assets scale up better without the need to re-do geometry.

However, TP HD isn't as technically accomplished either.

With Wind Waker HD the lighting was overhauled to a deferred system, and there were dynamic realtime shadows across the environment. There was of course the bloom, but it's evident that Hexadrive's work was a big upgrade from a technical level.

Twilight Princess HD is more modest, a bit like Tantalus' work on Zombi PS4/One. There are a few upgraded textures which look genuinely redone (Wind Waker's went through an HD upscaler), though a bit amateurish (the pillars in Castle Town are irksome looking). But otherwise it's the same visuals just in 1080p, which further exposes the low-poly geometry, basic lighting and less-than-timeless texture design.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Makes me think if Skyward Sword would have a better transition because of it's different art-style.

I don't think there can be any doubt about that. Skyward Sword had a much better art style, like Wind Waker it will age well. TP was always a strange looking game, impressive in some aspects but lacking character and having some obvious flaws.

hVKsq6u.gif

It might just be because of the softer lighting, but it does give the illusion that her nose is a fraction longer pushing her lips out a bit.

The stronger shadows around her eyes looked better as well.

Human's are great with recognising faces and the fact everyone thinks something looked off speaks volumes.

EDIT: And yeah, her irises are clearly bigger now. Less white around them.

Amazing how a bit of lighting makes her look hilarious.

But outside of that... monstrosity, I actually liked the trailer, and it reminded me of everything I loved about Twilight Princess while looking a lot better, IMO.

Owzers

Have they talked about the gameplay improvements yet? I have but never played the wii version, was only getting this if it plays better.

Hermii

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg
Making tp look like that would take years, require a big team and cost a lot of money. probably wouldn't be the best way to spend those resources.

Not a Wii-U owner, and I clicked on this thread mistaking it for a trailer for the new Zelda. Anyway, I have to say I think this game has aged terribly, and I don't really see the value in a remaster. Wind Waker HD looked appealing even to a non Wii-U owner such as myself. The cel-shaded artstyle of Wind Waker holds up much better and it looks like more effort was placed on upgrading the underlying technology. Twilight Princess HD doesn't benefit from Wind Waker's cel-shaded artstyle and as such the limitations of the Wii are much more apparent. I guess some people might be dying to replay Twilight Princess so this will be a great way for them to do that, I just can't imagine that number of people is too large.

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg
Lol, they are not going to spend that kind of money for Wii U

I wonder if this is what Nintendo meant when they said they tested all the three last gen Zeldas for remastering and WW benefited the most? It would explain why TP HD looks bland in comparison. You'd think TP needs it the most though. Weird.

Love this game but not sure I'll bite just yet. Hopefully we hear some more gameplay changes to make up for the middling visuals.

Not a Wii-U owner, and I clicked on this thread mistaking it for a trailer for the new Zelda. Anyway, I have to say I think this game has aged terribly, and I don't really see the value in a remaster. Wind Waker HD looked appealing even to a non Wii-U owner such as myself. The cel-shaded artstyle of Wind Waker holds up much better and it looks like more effort was placed on upgrading the underlying technology. Twilight Princess HD doesn't benefit from Wind Waker's cel-shaded artstyle and as such the limitations of the Wii are much more apparent. I guess some people might be dying to replay Twilight Princess so this will be a great way for them to do that, I just can't imagine that number of people is too large.

Most non-cel-shaded games have aged terribly in general.

People still want them remastered because they have HD TVs and because of nostalgia.

It's also nice to have a version of the game on the most current console of the brand.

Top Bottom