• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lobster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

348024.jpg

was finally able to watch this and I really enjoyed it.

I love Yorgos (specially Dogtooth) and I was hoping more people were gonna be aware or able to watch this film considering it's kinda his first english spoken film (I believe he did an english short film too), plus the hollywood-esque cast.

anyone on GAF seen it yet? I believe it opened in very few theatres in the US but it's already available on DVD/Bluray too.

I don't wanna spoil much even if there's not much to, and the basic telling of the plot is pretty intriguing so that should be enough to make you wanna watch it in case you're not aware of Yorgos' other films:

In a dystopian near future, single people, according to the laws of The City, are taken to The Hotel, where they are obliged to find a romantic partner in forty-five days or are transformed into beasts and sent off into The Woods.

I really liked it, beyond it having a slower pace than I thought it would. It's one of those films that ussually gets dismissed by some of the public as 'pretentious' these days but what interesting film doesnt get that by now..

beyond the execution I found just the actual concept of it to be really interesting as a setting, so even if you come out of it not thoroughly entertained or rather just a bit bored by the pace, I think by it's concept and ideas alone it's very much worth a watch. I think I liked it more than Alps and im glad to see another film by him.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Saw it in Ireland a few months ago and thought it was pretty awesome. Really liked the concept and laughed pretty hard during some parts.

Still need to watch Dogtooth, looks so weird.

Salsa

Saw it in Ireland a few months ago and thought it was pretty awesome. Really liked the concept and laughed pretty hard during some parts.

Still need to watch Dogtooth, looks so weird.

I love how it kinda moves between genres while at the same time being completely serious about it

the line the hotel manager says about
if not we'll assign them kids, that ussually helps. a lot.
was so off guard cause of the movie's tone that the little black humor in it really works well. cracked up

I loled when he kicked that kid

lol. yeah

the deadpan acting also helps

i saw like 1/4 of this and man that shit was just exhausting to watch

everyone has this automaton style of talking and its quirk works for about 5 minutes before it just becomes annoying.. and man does it get annoying

i wanted to like it, too

Salsa

i saw like 1/4 of this and man that shit was just exhausting to watch

everyone has this automaton style of talking and its quirk works for about 5 minutes before it just becomes annoying.. and man does it get annoying

i wanted to like it, too

I think the humor that's there and the intrigue of the world helps, specially during what you saw. I actually think the pace issues in terms of it working as an "entertaining" film come later

I mean, you're not wrong about the acting being as it is but it's clearly done on purpose to fit within the movie's theme of a society that became very efficent in a sick, emotionless way

it aint for everyone, or for any mood

"We dance by ourselves. That's why we listen to only electronic music."

Loved the film, want to rewatch it. If you're at all cynical about relationships where a world is created to be a nightmare for single people, it's a fun ride.

One of my favourite aspects is seeing recognisable actors turn in performances that fit Lanthimos' low-key darkly comic mood. And Ben Whishaw playing against his usual likeable type.

I love that the final shot is like Dogtooth's and leaves it up to you.

Don't know many other great dark comedies from this year, aside from A Pigeon Sat On A Branch...

Salsa

"We dance by ourselves. That's why we listen to only electronic music."

Loved the film, want to rewatch it. If you're at all cynical about relationships where a world is created to be a nightmare for single people, it's a fun ride.

One of my favourite aspects is seeing recognisable actors turn in performances that fit Lanthimos' low-key darkly comic mood. And Ben Whishaw playing against his usual likeable type.

I love that the final shot is like Dogtooth's and leaves it up to you.

Don't know many other great dark comedies from this year, aside from A Pigeon Sat On A Branch...

I dont check those threads often enough and then I get bummed thinking these movies don't get that big a response here

daydream

Banned
after kynodontas and lobster, i'm convinced lanthimos is one of the biggest talents working in film today

both exceptional pieces

When me and my friend left the theatre we both were in doubt if the movie was a parody of europen elite cinematography or if it was just very very weird. It's both I guess, can't wait for a rewatch while high.

Fury Sense

Just watched this. A+!

Great film that turns you upside down and makes sense of nonsense. I loved the French part. It's amazing how much we can understand without knowing any of the language (although I do know a couple simple words).

If you want to see a bit, watch this clip instead of the trailers to avoid spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYQE2cU37bQ

movie spoilers:
It was weird how at one moment I'm laughing at electronic music / choking to death / etc. and the next I feel completely sullen when she won't kiss him. She has changed, but he hasn't, and they can't go on like this, despite enjoying the games. Also when the heartless woman tells him they cannot build a relationship on a lie. It's such a slap in the face to all of the bashful, dishonest, and untrusting feelings you could have in a relationship. Lobster basically says: "these things are so fucking basic to a relationship, you'd have to be a fool to disregard them." And I'm just here like... well shit. Good point.

Saw this a little while back; really fantastic! Wandered out of the cinema and actually found myself stuck thinking in the monotone, stilted manner of the film's characters for a couple minutes, haha.

pantsmith

Saw this last night. I love that it doubles as both an absurdist take on relationships and genuinely compelling dystopian fiction. Like what kind of universe has the technology to turn people into animals but wont let them be single for 45 days? Theres a lot left to the imagination and I loved pondering the negative space.

Regarding the monotone, these people (in the society) are meant to be either so uninteresting or so incapable of communicating emotions to eachother that their only point of connection boils down to their shared "quirks." Its a hyperliteralization of the bond that an actual relationship needs. The monotone helps illustrate the emotional divide between everyone.

So, like, when hes talking to pretty hair girl its not like they are actual incompatible because he has "dry" hair (hah) its because they lack that common thread. Theres nothing there to bond over.

Either that or you could read it as the ego and sense of self in this society is so potent that no one will settle for someone who isnt just like them. Maybe thats why being single was made punishable?

Anyways, great film.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I loved it. Very quirky, and affective. The electronic music scene payoff got the biggest laugh.

The two violent parts of the movie were so uncomfortable to watch play out. Those who have watched know which ones.

Zakalwe

Banned
I loved how irredeemably shit and utterly savage most of the characters were. The deadpan delivery was expert on all accounts, and it was terrifying and hilarious in equal amounts.

Really, really enjoyed this.

taco543

I love deadpan and dry humour and this movie was great. I loved it, it was a slower movie than I thought it'd be but still overall really funny. John C. Riley for as often as he was in it did really good as well.

atr0cious

Just got this movie at our theater, and it's got more walkouts than birdman, so it's gotta be an amazing flick. Can't wait to see it.

LewieP

Didn't really do anything for me. I thought it hinted at an interesting world that had scope for interesting stories, but then didn't really do anything interesting. It had plenty of good actors in it, but they were all just being quirky without really doing anything to engage me with the story.

Noaloha

I didn't have much of a problem with the monotone dialogue. It perhaps goes without saying, but I just naturally accepted that mindset in a populace functioning under such an implied wider setting. It spoke of a certain upbringing they all must have gone through. I liked it as a piece of world-building.

Coffinhal

Didn't really do anything for me. I thought it hinted at an interesting world that had scope for interesting stories, but then didn't really do anything interesting. It had plenty of good actors in it, but they were all just being quirky without really doing anything to engage me with the story.

Better see the next Avengers : X-Men VS Justice League

Didn't really care for it honestly. I was impressed with Colin Farrell but just felt like the movie's whole intent was to go against the grain, and it felt forced because of it.

LewieP

Better see the next Avengers : X-Men VS Justice League

Because disliking a particular movie can only possibly mean I hate anything that isn't a superhero blockbuster. That's the only possible explanation.

You are being elitist and advocating for homogeneity of thought. Well done!

It was pretty good, some great comedy.

The delivery was so dry

The ending wasn't bad either
I think the ending is that he left her. You know the scene where they hold up the managers and the guy is willing to shoot his wife, because when it comes down to it these people's bonds are only based on superficial crap they have in common like the singing voice and being shortsighted.
I think it's the same for the ending: when it comes down to it and the MC is asked to make real sacrifice for the woman he won't do it.

It's also why everyone in that world talks like a robot, they are all sociopaths and only pair up for convenience, not out of love.

atr0cious

Woof, like a third of the all audiences yesterday hated this movie. Like audible confusion, multiple people upset we wouldn't give refunds, and many more claims that this is the worst/dumbest movie made of all time. Funny enough, only The Room has pulled a bigger late night crowd than the lobster at our theater.

Renpatsu

Woof, like a third of the all audiences yesterday hated this movie. Like audible confusion, multiple people upset we wouldn't give refunds, and many more claims that this is the worst/dumbest movie made of all time. Funny enough, only The Room has pulled a bigger late night crowd than the lobster at our theater.
When I saw it several weeks ago at our local arthouse theater an old couple sitting beside me didn't find it quite as funny as I did because it was described in the local paper as an 'eccentric romantic comedy' - which is a true statement I suppose, but one that might engender a different expectation.

Clov

I saw this a few months ago, and loved it! These sort of absurdist stories are my favorite. Laughed and winced really hard when
that guy smashed his nose in the pool to pretend that he got chronic nosebleeds too.

The acting in it was noticeably stiff, to the point where it had to have been intentional. I figured it was supposed to give the film a distancing effect to put a bigger emphasis on the film's themes (similar to Brecht's plays). Makes me really want to check out Dogtooth at some point.

This movie cant be half as weird as Dog Tooth

Mmmmmmmm...well, you should watch it.

The ending wasn't bad either
I think the ending is that he left her. You know the scene where they hold up the managers and the guy is willing to shoot his wife, because when it comes down to it these people's bonds are only based on superficial crap they have in common like the singing voice and being shortsighted.
I think it's the same for the ending: when it comes down to it and the MC is asked to make real sacrifice for the woman he won't do it.

My actual thought as to what happened was
he would come back but not have gouged out his eyes and just said he did.
I think what I like about the ending to this movie is that it's not an ambiguous ending where the writer just was like "LOL you decide!" but it is significantly impacted by what message you get from the movie determining what you feel happens.

I want to go see it again because I feel like I missed some stuff but at the end of the day I REALLY enjoyed this movie and want to give it a little deeper look.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I heard Reilly talk about this on WTF, and he mentioned that this director is the closest thing he's seen to a modern day Kubrick, as far as sense of humor and atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom