• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The man who made 'the worst video game in history'

GHG

Just read this article on the BBC about the infamous ET game and thought it was interesting. Funny how very little has changed in terms of publisher enforced deadlines and games being rushed out for various reasons all these years later.

The video game of Steven Spielberg's ET is considered to be one of the worst of all time and has even been blamed for triggering the collapse of Atari. Howard Scott Warshaw, the gifted programmer who made it, explains how it was rushed out in a matter of weeks - and how he feels about those events in California now. Spielberg was unimpressed. "Couldn't you do something more like Pac-Man?" he asked.

It was July 1982 and Atari, then one of the world's most successful tech companies, had just paid a reported $21m for the video game rights to Spielberg's new blockbuster, ET the Extra-Terrestrial.

Howard Scott Warshaw was the programmer tasked with designing the game.

"I was stunned," says Warshaw. "Here was Steven Spielberg, one of my idols, suggesting that I knock off the game! My impulse was to go, 'Well, gee, Steven, couldn't you make something more like The Day The Earth Stood Still?'"

Warshaw's stock was high at Atari. The 24-year-old had just finished the video game of Spielberg's Raiders of the Lost Ark. Spielberg considered Warshaw a "certifiable genius" and 36 hours earlier Warshaw had been hand-picked for their next collaboration. "It was a day that will live in infamy in my life forever," says Warshaw. "I was sitting in my office and I get a call from the Atari CEO. He said, 'Howard, we need the ET video game done. Can you do it?'

"And I said, 'Absolutely, yes I can!'"

Games for the Atari 2600 were distributed on cartridges that took weeks to manufacture. If ET was to be in the shops for Christmas, Warshaw had a tight deadline. "The CEO goes, 'We need it for 1 September.' That left five weeks to do it! Normally it'd be six to eight months to do a game, not five weeks. "Then he said, 'Design the game and on Thursday morning, be at the airport and there will be a Learjet waiting to take you to see Spielberg.'
"I'm not sure exactly what I was full of but whatever it was, I was overflowing with it

Atari needed ET to be a hit. In 1982 sales had reached a peak of $2bn but the company was losing market share to home computers like the Commodore 64, which could do more than play games.
"It was the hardest I've ever worked on anything in my life," says Warshaw, who was the game's sole programmer. "I started working at the office but after a while I realised there was a problem; I still have to go home to sleep and eat occasionally.
"So we had another development system installed in my house so that I would never be more than two minutes away from working on the code except when I was driving.

"There was a manager who was assigned to make sure I was eating so that I'd be able to keep going.

"The bosses believed that as long as we put anything out the door with ET's name on it would sell millions and millions," he says.

"Is ET really the worst game of all time? Probably not. But the story of the fall of the video game industry needed a face and that was ET. Probably not. But the story of the fall of the video game industry needed a face and that was ET.

"I actually prefer it when people do identify it as the worst game of all time because I also did Yars Revenge and that's frequently identified as one of the best of all time. So between the two, I have the greatest range of any designer in history!"

More at the link, I recommend reading the whole article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35560458

Tagyhag

Yeah it's a shame that most gamers don't know the true story about ET.

Not only is the game not the worst of all time (It's a bad game but it's only infamous for the amount of money Atari lost on it) but the designer, Howard Warshaw is a freaking legend.

This guy designed Yars' Revenge and Indy, he's a genius.

Had he been given more time, he could have pumped out a good game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Is it really the worst game ever made? After the shit I keep seeing Sterling review week in, week out, on Steam greenlight, I'm not too sure. It does seem like all those guys have one upped ET.

Sure there are "worse" games, but you have to be fair, few other bombs had such far-reaching consequences for the entire industry. I know it was more a symptom than a cause, but it was emblematic for the industry at the time and its death.

Paz

5 weeks to make something of that magnitude/importance, holy shit that must have been the most awful experience ever.

This documentary had a lot of details and Q&A/thoughts from him too:

0_0_3416834_00_320w.jpg

Pretty sure it was on Netflix when I saw it, but not sure if it still is. He did what he could in the time he had and has a more storied legacy than he got acknowledged for all these years.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I remember reading a similar retrospective elsewhere, really ended up feeling bad for the guy.

I guess it goes to show, though--publishers rushing games out the door isn't new. It's in gaming's DNA, apparently

Ferrio

Banned
Is it really the worst game ever made? After the shit I keep seeing Sterling review week in, week out, on Steam greenlight, I'm not too sure. It does seem like all those guys have one upped ET.

Considering the title it is. People saying Big Rigs is missing the picture, no one expected anything from a no-name developer on a no name game. ET is like if Uncharted 4 came out and was as bad as Big Rigs.

timmyp53

"I actually prefer it when people do identify it as the worst game of all time because I also did Yars Revenge and that's frequently identified as one of the best of all time. So between the two, I have the greatest range of any designer in history

God damn brilliant.

SeanTSC

It's pretty bad. It's probably the worst "commercial" / mass market game when you consider its role in the crash back then. I don't think you can really compare it to Greenlight Garbage.

Sure, there's a monumental amount of absolute gutter trash out there between the dregs of Early Access and how much festering sewage is spewed out onto Mobile every month, but nearly all of them are entirely inconsequential on their own. Their collective badness is damaging to the image of those storefronts, but you can't point to any individual one as a point of being the straw that broke the camel's back like you can with ET. Not yet, anyways.

GHG

I've added a few more lines to the OP to help people understand why this game is seen as the "worst in history".

People mentioning big rigs are missing the point. Read the article guys.

stuminus3

Banned
HSW is a still cool dude. It's a huge shame, the brush he got tarred with because of the stupid industry, he should still be a part of it. It's sad that even to this day the artists have to fall on the sword of bad management. HSW is the reason the "lazy developers" crap you see around here boils by blood.

Is it really the worst game ever made?
Not even close. It just represents an industry gone wrong.

good thing it didn't permanently leave a sour taste in Spielberg's mouth since he eventually helped create Medal of Honor.

props to Warshaw and his crew, what a ridiculous predicament to be put through.

Syril

You can't call ET the worst game in history when freaking Custer's Revenge had been released three months earlier.

kingwingin

Im sure it was recieved so poorly because people who loved the movie went out and bought the game expecting a movie experience.

Ive never played it but it doesnt look any worse than all the other crap on atari

I think most people who say E.T. is a "bad game" have never even played it. It's not bad. It's mediocre. It's surprisingly complex for a 2600 game, especially given it was done in 5 weeks. But it's just kind of boring. Then again, what kind of game did they expect when you control a pacifist, helpless alien? Warshaw was one of the best game designers in the Atari era and didn't deserve his reputation being tarnished over the E.T. rushed moneygrab. If anything can be pinned on him, it was that he tried to make something too complex with too short of a timeframe. But I think that's a lesson every creator has to learn at some point.

Warshaw made one of the best 2600 games, Raiders of the Lost Ark, released in 1982. Knowing that he made E.T. right after that, it's obvious that he leveraged some of that work there. I feel like it doesn't get talked about much, but it's probably the most complex game on the 2600; in fact it uses two joysticks for its control scheme. It was basically an adventure game with multiple gameplay mechanics and fairly complex puzzles (for the era) to solve. As far as I'm aware, it was also the first console game to have an inventory system and NPC characters. It is quite hard to finish, but it was one of my favorites on the system.

gfs_37954_2_2.jpg

The Atari: Game Over documentary is pretty good, it's about fall of Atari in general but its main focus is on the production and failure of E.T. There are some interesting interviews with Howard Scott Warshaw about the culture of working at Atari at the time - weed, random freak-out parties, extremely chill atmosphere. That all vanished after E.T. and Warshaw spent the rest of his life hunting down the same level of work satisfaction.

MegaboyX

Neo Member
Im sure it was recieved so poorly because people who loved the movie went out and bought the game expecting a movie experience.

Ive never played it but it doesnt look any worse than all the other crap on atari

It wasn't revived poorly. This is complete fiction. No one even talked about it being bad until about 15 years ago all of a sudden、 by people not old enough to even have played it when it came out to boot. I wish people would quit spreading lies about this game and that it had anything at all to do with a video game crash.

Evilisk

This documentary had a lot of details and Q&A/thoughts from him too:

0_0_3416834_00_320w.jpg

Pretty sure it was on Netflix when I saw it, but not sure if it still is. He did what he could in the time he had and has a more storied legacy than he got acknowledged for all these years.

This

I actually came into this thread thinking it'd be about that

joecanada

Crazy that they even tried to push this out. Consumers seem like they will buy anything at times but they aren't that stupid.... This type of thing shows blatant disrespect to consumers and they got exactly the reward expected... No effort in no results out.

Not directed at the developer obviously sounds like he just about killed himself to do that impossible task

T-0800

I never knew ET as a bad game. Received it as a gift in about 1983 and I remember completing it on the school holidays.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
ET is a very aggravating game for sure. Too easy to fall into a pit, and highly annoying to get out. Fixed with above link, but the damage has been done.

E.T. is not the worst game by a long shot.

But it has the reputation, in the end that is all that matters for the general public. I don't think the title is bad actuallly, it's infamous but it's the number one game on lists etc. At least it's not the second or third worst game, nobody knows about them outside of gaf&co.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Someone hast to explain this to me.

They pay $21 million in 1981 for the rights, which is almost $52 million today adjusted for inflation.
Then they give the project to just one guy to work on for only five weeks? And Spielberg didn't even like what he made? Like...that doesn't make any sense. Why not a few more people? Maybe try making more than one and take the best one? Apparently it made sense back then, but it sounds ridiculous.

How many lines of code is that game even? If you add Atari's production costs, that's probably one of the worst lines of code-to-cost ratios ever in commercial software.

edit: Found it

Top Bottom