• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian | Season 3 Official Trailer | Disney+

Normally the kids were excited to watch this show every week, now they just dont care anymore. Guess I'm finishing this season all by myself. Same thing is happening with marvel movies lately. Hopefully it'll get better and they will be interested again, I loved sharing this with them

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Normally the kids were excited to watch this show every week, now they just dont care anymore. Guess I'm finishing this season all by myself. Same thing is happening with marvel movies lately. Hopefully it'll get better and they will be interested again, I loved sharing this with them
I just tell my kids to come watch and they act unimpressed but then they enjoy the episode.

Fbh

Finally took the time to finish the season.
Overall pretty decent though it felt like they only had the first two and last two episodes in mind and the rest of the season was mostly bland filler.

It definitely feels like the show has run its course though. Mando feels more like a supporting character in larger story now, and Grogu is basically just there to look cute and I don't see him having much of a character development unless they take like a 50 years skip.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Finally took the time to finish the season.
Overall pretty decent though it felt like they only had the first two and last two episodes in mind and the rest of the season was mostly bland filler.

It definitely feels like the show has run its course though. Mando feels more like a supporting character in larger story now, and Grogu is basically just there to look cute and I don't see him having much of a character development unless they take like a 50 years skip.

It does feel like this would be a satisfying conclusion to their story if they were to end it here. I know they won't for various reasons.

Fbh

It does feel like this would be a satisfying conclusion to their story if they were to end it here. I know they won't for various reasons.

Yup. The final episode would have been fine as a series finale.
But Disney know Mandalorian is the closest they have to a Star Wars product that most people seem to like. And Grogu is probably the biggest merchandise seller they have created since acquiring the IP.
So I expect both will get milked to the ground.

Last edited:

Ownage

I loved S3. I don't have any expectations and have loved what the show has done. Definitely left loose ends open tho. It'd be cool to bring back the thicc white former UFC fighter, she was cool. I hope the rumors of Daisy Ridley being Grogu's trainer in the movies to wrap up this plot aren't true.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I loved S3. I don't have any expectations and have loved what the show has done. Definitely left loose ends open tho. It'd be cool to bring back the thicc white former UFC fighter, she was cool. I hope the rumors of Daisy Ridley being Grogu's trainer in the movies to wrap up this plot aren't true.
Not gonna happen. The show her character was destined for, "Republic Rangers", the set-up for which is why the whole middle act of Mando S3 seemed so disconnected and out of place, has been scrapped. D+ torched 2 eps of a show folks liked in a wasted back-door pilot for a show that will never exist. Studios really gotta stop with these hamfisted "synergy" efforts. I realize that ads and whatnot are basically dead so the only way to bring awareness is through this type of stuff, but I think folks are tiring of continual "inter-connected universes" rather than more stand-alone series. The CW and the Berlantiverse obvious WAAAYYYY overdosed on this stuff but a lot of those characters had classic relationships to play from and they were geared for an audience already somewhat familiar with them.

Elysion

Banned
I think the whole concept of Mandalorian culture where everyone wears their helmet all the time is stupid as fuck. I mean, at the end of the day, the whole thing only exists because Lucasfilm (pre Disney) wanted to give Boba Fett, who was a cool and mysterious side character from the original trilogy, his own background and backstory so that they can sell merchandise.

Boba Fett was a cool character in the OT exactly because we knew so little about him. But the moment they gave him a backstory in the prequels and the Clone Wars series, he became immediately less interesting. Instead of him just being a lone bounty hunter who happened to wear unique looking armor, they created a whole culture where everyone wears his armor for some reason. And Disney then doubled down on this by not allowing Mandalorians to take off their helmets. Nothing about this ‚culture‘ is even remotely interesting, and the show would’ve bombed hard if it wasn’t for baby Yoda.

The show exemplifies the issue with all Star Wars shows, in that they‘re all just taking aspects or characters from the OT or the prequels, and stretching them as thin as possible to fill the required number of episodes, without much substance behind it. Andor is probably the only exception to this, though at the cost of it not feeling much like Star Wars at all.

I think the whole concept of Mandalorian culture where everyone wears their helmet all the time is stupid as fuck. I mean, at the end of the day, the whole thing only exists because Lucasfilm (pre Disney) wanted to give Boba Fett, who was a cool and mysterious side character from the original trilogy, his own background and backstory so that they can sell merchandise.

Boba Fett was a cool character in the OT exactly because we knew so little about him. But the moment they gave him a backstory in the prequels and the Clone Wars series, he became immediately less interesting. Instead of him just being a lone bounty hunter who happened to wear unique looking armor, they created a whole culture where everyone wears his armor for some reason. And Disney then doubled down on this by not allowing Mandalorians to take off their helmets. Nothing about this ‚culture‘ is even remotely interesting, and the show would’ve bombed hard if it wasn’t for baby Yoda.

The show exemplifies the issue with all Star Wars shows, in that they‘re all just taking aspects or characters from the OT or the prequels, and stretching them as thin as possible to fill the required number of episodes, without much substance behind it. Andor is probably the only exception to this, though at the cost of it not feeling much like Star Wars at all.
This is why I have great disdain for Star Wars in general. Cool shit happened in the first three movies, and then George Lucas went and changed shit that people ended up loving about the original, and pissed off a bunch of people. This just tells me that the original SW was an accident and that a bunch of the things people ended up liking weren't intentional, but due to budgetary or editing reasons.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is why I have great disdain for Star Wars in general. Cool shit happened in the first three movies, and then George Lucas went and changed shit that people ended up loving about the original, and pissed off a bunch of people. This just tells me that the original SW was an accident and that a bunch of the things people ended up liking weren't intentional, but due to budgetary or editing reasons.
I thought it was pretty well known that Lucas' wife at the time (Martha?) saved ANH in the editing room. Wonder if there is any way to verify that (or even see an original cut) or if that was why Lucas supposedly burned all the prints :p

I find that Star Wars gets progressively less and less logical with every film, which true for ANY fictional universe that isn't drawing directly from a historical source or, in rare cases, is from a wholly invented world from a stellar world builder.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How has this season been? I really fell off on D+ shows.
Hit or miss for me. Visually it is pretty spectacular, there are ship scenes that are theatrical quality and give a great sense of scale. But storywise it is a bit of a slog, the mandalorians get progressively more silly the more we spend time with them, mando himself sits out most of the season, baby yoda is largely ignored, and there are extensive side-tracks to set up shows that will never come to pass (though some are kinda cool). It has some fun moments (YMMV depending on how you feel about Jack Black). It ends fairly well but for all the effort spent on ship fights the hand to hand choreography is pretty weak, probably because none of the stunt men can see through those helmets :p

BlackTron

Hit or miss for me. Visually it is pretty spectacular, there are ship scenes that are theatrical quality and give a great sense of scale. But storywise it is a bit of a slog, the mandalorians get progressively more silly the more we spend time with them, mando himself sits out most of the season, baby yoda is largely ignored, and there are extensive side-tracks to set up shows that will never come to pass (though some are kinda cool). It has some fun moments (YMMV depending on how you feel about Jack Black). It ends fairly well but for all the effort spent on ship fights the hand to hand choreography is pretty weak, probably because none of the stunt men can see through those helmets :p

giphy.gif

I thought it was pretty well known that Lucas' wife at the time (Martha?) saved ANH in the editing room. Wonder if there is any way to verify that (or even see an original cut) or if that was why Lucas supposedly burned all the prints :p

I find that Star Wars gets progressively less and less logical with every film, which true for ANY fictional universe that isn't drawing directly from a historical source or, in rare cases, is from a wholly invented world from a stellar world builder.
It's well documented that George doesn't have people skills and there is credit to the notion that Marcia injected "heart" into the OT along with Richard Chew. She won an Academy Award for her editing on Star Wars.

You can find interviews with her on YouTube but you have to search for them. She openly credits herself with "killing" Obi Wan and her influence on making the Force play a more central role in the film.

You can find breakdowns of her edits to the original cut, but verifying the truth is impossible. I personally believe she saved Star Wars, based on all the info I've pieced together over 30+ years. Lucas is a creative genius, but he has glaring flaws that make it impossible for me to believe he came up with the final cut. The disgusting edits added to the Special Edition of ANH couldn't make it any more painfully obvious, as well as the Prequel Trilogy.

It seems to me everyone just credits George with Star Wars. I believe John Williams, Ben Burtt, Ralph McQuarrie, John Dykstra and Marcia Lucas are responsible for what people actually fell in love with in 1977. If you remove any single one of them, the Star Wars franchise doesn't exist in my opinion.

Top Bottom