• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mary Sue/Gary Stu appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you love them too. With their total perfection and OP self-insertion nature. There's something just so lovable about them. And they exist in multiple flavors too, including hedgehogs. The edgier the better. My Immortal fan fiction is a favorite of mine.

3N8e3VG.jpg

And of course the classic. Bow down to your king (warning NSFW language)

With the wave of 'she was the special all the boys loved because nobody else was like her and she had to save the world' teen novel films, I feel like I am in paradise. Who are your favorites?

SalvaPot

If you had written fanfiction sometime in your life you know you did this.

We all did.

Now don´t look for my old username on google please

Edit: Oh yeah, on topic, Mario is a Gary Stu.

Toph Beifong from Avatar: The Last Airbender is my favorite Mary Sue. They come out and tell you what she is near the end because they stopped caring, she had no story.

Ithil

I think near everybody, even if they didn't write fanfiction, made up a super special badass original character to insert into everything when they were younger.

My brother as a kid had a strong tendency to make extremely transparent self-inserts (as in they would have often have his first name level transparent) for shows or games.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Clara Oswald. Appreciable, but very definitely a Mary Sue.

I think near everybody, even if they didn't write fanfiction, made up a super special badass original character to insert into everything when they were younger.

My brother as a kid had a strong tendency to make extremely transparent self-inserts (as in they would have often have his first name level transparent) for shows or games.

Oh of course. In fact when I was like... 14-15 and in the midst of my angst I wrote a short story in another forum I frequented that was HILARIOUSLY Gary Stu. I basically copyright stole Devil May Cry and made my self insert character who was basically a much more powerful Dante and the girl I liked was the romantic interest, and it was set in high school and he was half demon half angel.

Apparently whoever made the new DMC game must've gotten a hold of it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is kind of like the "badass" version of a Mary Sue (I use that term sarcastically and loosely):

pssh+i+dont+wanna+play+any+of+those+baby+games+_d89f613671bcec63c3d18ca556c2607d.jpg

And it's still hilarious.

As for characters in established fiction, Yagami Light (Death Note) before he goes whacko/during the time he loses his memory is a good one.

Edit: Damn, I was beaten.

Ithil

This is kind of like the "badass" version of a Mary Sue (I use that term sarcastically and loosely):

pssh+i+dont+wanna+play+any+of+those+baby+games+_d89f613671bcec63c3d18ca556c2607d.jpg

And it's still hilarious.

As for characters in established fiction, Yagami Light (Death Note) before he goes whacko/during the time he loses his memory is a good one.

I like how it switches from third person to first person when saying "my dad". Also, so that's where "nothin personal, kid" came from.

THIS MOTHER FUCKER RIGHT HERE

Doctor Doom is the Mariest of the Mary Sues in the entire Marvel Universe.

Has a mind that Rivals Reed Richards(Smartest man in the Marvel universe)
Has Technology that Rivals Tony Stark(Iron man)
Has magic on par with Doctor Strange(sorcerer supreme of Earth)
Rules an entire Country
Will Power is so strong Psionics have no effect on him

ReiGun

Tendou Souji from Kamen Rider Kabuto.

The great thing about Kabuto is that the show makes no attempts to hide Tendou's Gary Stu-ness; in fact, it revels in it. His name literally means "Path of Heaven, Ruler of all," a fact he'll remind you of when introducing himself. He's shown to be the best fighter of any Riders in the show, and constantly making the best moves and being a step ahead of everyone. He has few real allegiances and rarely needs help. He's rarely rattled by anything. He's an excellent cook (ony half joking including this; it's a big part of his character). He's an arrogant jackass and the show never takes him down a peg. In fact, he's rewarded.

Towards the end of the series, Tendou gets two major power ups. The first is the Hyper Kabuto form. The big power in the series is called "Clock Up," which lets the Kamen Riders and their enemies move at light speed. Hyper Kabuto gets Hyper Clock Up, which lets him move so fast he can actually time travel. The second is the Perfect Zector, a weapon that steals the transformation devices of other Kamen Riders in the area, forcing them into civilian mode as if to say "Yeah. You guys aren't really needed anymore."

And yet, no one really begrudges Tendou for this because he's awesome, and the show is smart enough to surround him with other, more relatable characters.

THIS MOTHER FUCKER RIGHT HERE

Doctor Doom is the Mariest of the Mary Sues in the entire Marvel Universe.

Has a mind that Rivals Reed Richards(Smartest man in the Marvel universe)
Has Technology that Rivals Tony Stark(Iron man)
Has magic on par with Doctor Strange(sorcerer supreme of Earth)
Rules an entire Country
Will Power is so strong Psionics have no effect on him
And still, we love him so.

All hail Doom.

bengraven

You guys are mistaken as to what Mary Sue means. It's not really "perfect" characters, it's more characters who are thinly veiled anagrams of the creator and are also perfect.

So like if Spider-man was a Jewish comic book writer who got all the chicks, he'd be a Mary Sue character.

Or if Tyrion was a physically abnormal guy with witty remarks and people shit on his decisions all the time.

Toxi

Banned
Clara Oswald. Appreciable, but very definitely a Mary Sue.
In series 7, definitely. Name of the Doctor is one of the most painful episodes to watch in the entire show.

In series 8, definitely not. The Doctor and her are constantly at odds
and they don't part on the best terms.
Not to mention everything that happened with Danny Pink.

Tendou Souji from Kamen Rider Kabuto.

The great thing about Kabuto is that the show makes no attempts to hide Tendou Gary Stu-ness; in fact, it revels in it. His name literally means "Path of Heaven, Ruler of all," a fact he'll remind you of when introducing himself. He's shown to be the best fighter of any Riders in the show, and constantly making the best moves and being a step ahead of everyone. He has no real allegiances and rarely needs help. He's rarely rattled by anything. He's an excellent cook (ony half joking including this; it's a big part of his character). He's an arrogant jackass and the show never takes him down a peg. In fact, he's rewarded.

Towards the end of the series, Tendou gets two major power ups. The first is Hyper Kabuto. The big power in the serious is called "Clock Up," which lets the Kamen Rider and their enemies move at light speed. Hyper Kabuto gets Hyper Clock Up, which lets him move so fast he can actually time travel. The second is the Perfect Zector, a weapon that steals the transformation devices of other Kamen Riders in the area, forcing them into civilian mode as if to say "Yeah. You guys aren't really needed anymore."

And yet, no one really begrudges Tendou for this because he's awesome, and the show is smart enough to surround him with other, more relatable characters.
I couldn't stand Tendou.

ReiGun

In series 7, definitely. Name of the Doctor is one of the most painful episodes to watch in the entire show.

In series 8, definitely not. The Doctor and her are constantly at odds
and they don't part on the best terms.

I couldn't stand Tendou.

I hated him for the first 15 episodes but slowly warmed up to him.

Of course, we were all really there for Ka-GA-mi.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
You misspelled Saskue.
No, you did.

Edit: Speaking of, from what I see, (spoiler from the anime, I'm at episode 276 so I don't know what happens after)
Madara
it's going to be up there I think. At the very least, he has the "I-have-all-the-best-moves-from-anyone!" syndrome.
Sharingan and Rinnengan, can control the Tailed Beasts, immortality, teleportation...

Burt

You guys are mistaken as to what Mary Sue means. It's not really "perfect" characters, it's more characters who are thinly veiled anagrams of the creator and are also perfect.

So like if Spider-man was a Jewish comic book writer who got all the chicks, he'd be a Mary Sue character.

Or if Tyrion was a physically abnormal guy with witty remarks and people shit on his decisions all the time.

tumblr_inline_mor1h7S6VT1qz4rgp.gif

mdubs

Banned
Kirito-excalibur.jpg

My man. Gets a wife, plus all the waifus and is the best player ever.

Shout out to oni-sama as well

Ami Machida vs. Jasmyne Rose Silverlight.jpg
The character on the right is like a Level 30 character that multi-classed a bunch of everything and the one on the left just got out of character creation.

In all seriousness, I'm not really a fan of defining characters with a fact sheet that explicitly tells you personality/likes/dislikes/powers/etc before they even begin their actual characterization, even for the left example. It kind of assumes people are interested in what they are than how they are written.

I really like Shinichi in Parasyte.

He starts off as a normal kid, then there's a damn good reason for him becoming stronger and better than everyone else.

SkyOdin

No, author insert character and Gary/Mary Stu are two different character concepts that just have a strong tendency to overlap.

Anyways, I think it is safe to call Superman a Gary Stu, regardless of definition. However, he just wouldn't be the same character if you stripped that away from him. His perfection of both power and moral virtue are pretty key to a lot of the stories that feature him.

Ithil

Well my brother (and I know some are reading that as "I" but I actually do mean my brother here) once made up his own X-Men character who had the powers of Wolverine, Cyclops, Bishop, Colossus and Quicksilver, who was suddenly on the X-Men team with no backstory. And he had a "badass" codename, which unfortunately I can't recall (something to do with wolves, even though he had no wolf powers).

That's what I'd call a Gary Stu. A self-insert "better than all the canon characters" character that is shoehorned into everything.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bumping this thread so new posting can more quickly start on a page where that hothead isn't around here.

Character on the left is pretty boring tbh. And "is clumsy" as a weakness is another common Mary Sue trait (also the unnatural natural hair color and the cat thing).

Nothin personnel.

Clumsiness by itself is a trait that some may use on their OP character to bring them down but by itself it isn't bad.

Though you just reminded me of the time my friends and I were making some D&D joke characters and when we were coming up with the flaws we gave them shit like "womanizer" and "stubborn" haha

Also a certain DM turned my first D&D Cleric into basically a figurative son of Pelor (a canonical D&D deity) because I played Good alignment a little too hard (capable of doing no wrong, etc) and a lot of the story ended up playing up the character's importance.

I accidentally played a Mary Stu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom