• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Master |OT| Paul Thomas Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've wandered from the proper path, haven't you?

RMKPX.jpg

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson (Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood)

Cast

Joaquin Phoenix as Freddie Quell
Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lancaster Dodd
Amy Adams as Mary Sue Dodd
Laura Dern as Helen
Ambyr Childers as Elizabeth
Jesse Plemons as Val Dodd
Lena Endre as Mrs. Solstad
Rami Malek as Clark
Madisen Beaty as Doris Solstad

Produced by Paul Thomas Anderson, Megan Ellison, Daniel Lupi, Joanne Sellar
Screenplay by Paul Thomas Anderson
Cinematography Mihai Malaimare Jr.
Editing by Leslie Jones, Peter McNulty
Studio Annapurna Pictures, Ghoulardi Film Company
Distributed by The Weinstein Company, Annapurna Pictures
Running time: 137 minutes
Rated: R for sexual content, graphic nudity and language
Budget $35 million

Synopsis:
A striking portrait of drifters and seekers in post World War II America, Paul Thomas Anderson’s THE MASTER unfolds the journey of a Naval veteran (Joaquin Phoenix) who arrives home from war unsettled and uncertain of his future – until he is tantalized by The Cause and its charismatic leader (Philip Seymour Hoffman).

Official Facebook Page - Official Twitter

tumblr_m9xzg4FSKk1r9qe4uo1_500.gif

Box Office Mojo - Fandango - IMDb - Wikipedia

Video

Teasers/Clips

Was There a Fight?
Hopelessly Inquisitive
She Wrote Me a Letter
I Lost My Ship
Gone to China
Austin Exclusive (NSFW)
TV Spot #1
Clip From David Letterman

Trailers

Trailer #1
Trailer #2

Other

Toronto International Film Festival 2012 Press Conference

Score

By Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead

master-620x548.jpg

1 Overtones 2:20
2 Time Hole 1:42
3 Back Beyond 3:42
4 Get Thee Behind Me Satan – Performed by Ella Fitzgerald 3:47
5 Alethia 4:06
6 Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else but Me) – Performed by Madisen Beaty 1:36
7 Atomic Healer 1:24
8 Able-Bodied Seamen 3:54
9 The Split Saber 3:41
10 Baton Sparks 2:20
11 No Other Love – Performed by Jo Stafford 3:00
12 His Master’s Voice 3:34
13 Application 45 Version 1 5:40 (click to stream)
14 Changing Partners – Performed by Helen Forrest 2:42
15 Sweetness of Freddie 3:25

Articles/Interviews

A Guide to 70mm [Cigs & Red Vines]
Joaquin Phoenix Bounces Back in ‘The Master’ [NYTimes]
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master's Master [Village Voice]
Paul Thomas Anderson on making The Master: 'Scientology was the least of our problems' [Screen Daily]
Amy Adams on David Letterman

Reviews & Awards

Rotten Tomatoes - Metacritic

Venice
Note: The film won Golden Lion (best film) but was overturned because it was illegal.
Silver Lion (Best Director) - Paul Thomas Anderson – “The Master”
Volpi Cup – Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix & Philip Seymour Hoffman – “The Master”

tumblr_m9xzd5tXsh1qk590ko1_500.gif

Release Dates

Note: Follow Cigs and Red Vines for up-to-date info.

Special Screenings

8/3 Los Angeles, Aero Theatre (70mm)
8/16 Chicago, The Music Box Theatre (70mm)
8/19 New York, Museum of the Moving Image (70mm)
8/21 San Francisco, Castro Theatre (70mm)
9/1 Venice Film Festival, Sala Grande Theatre, Palabiennale Theatre (70mm)
9/7-9/16 TIFF, Princess of Wales Theatre, TIFF Bell Lightbox 1 (70mm)

U.S. 70mm Engagements

9/14 New York, AMC Lincoln Square (70mm), Village East Cinema (70mm), The Angelika (70mm) [via Weinstein Co.]
9/14 Los Angeles, Arclight Cinemas (70mm) [source]
9/21 Austin, Alamo Ritz (70mm) [source]
9/21 Boston, Coolidge Corner Theatre (70mm) [source]
9/21 Seattle, Cinerama (70mm) [source],
9/21 Oakland, Grand Lake Theater (70mm) [source]
9/21 Silver Spring MD, AFI Theatre (70mm) [source]

U.S. Standard (35mm/DCP) Engagements

9/21 Boston, Kendall Square Cinema [source]
9/21 Seattle, Guild 45th Theatre [source]
9/21 Chicago [source]
9/21 San Francisco, Embarcadero Center Cinema, Sundance Kabuki Cinema [source]
9/21 Baltimore, The Charles Theatre [source]
9/21 Washington DC, Landmark E Street Cinema, Bethesda Row [source]
9/21 Philadelphia, The Ritz Five [source]
9/21 Cleveland, Cedar Lee Theatre [source]
9/21 Omaha, Film Streams [source]
9/21 Winston-Salem, Aperture Cinema [source]
9/21 Dayton, Neon Theatre [source]
9/21 Charleston, Terrace Theater [source]
9/21 Columbia MO, Ragtag Cinema [source]
9/21 Salt Lake City, Broadway Centre Cinema [source]
9/21 Brooklyn, Nitehawk Cinema [source]
9/21 Pittsburgh, The Manor [source]
9/21 Norfolk VA, Naro Cinema [source]
9/21 Ithaca NY, Cinemapolis [source]
9/21 Kansas City, Alamo Drafthouse [source], Rio [source]

International

9/14 USA/Canada
10/11 Chile
10/12 Iceland
10/25 Greece
11/8 Australia
11/9 U.K.
11/22 Thailand
11/23 Mexico
11/29 Portugal
12/6 Netherlands
12/7 South Africa
12/7 Sweden
1/3 Denmark
1/9 Belgium
1/9 France
1/10 Switzerland [source]
1/11 Italy
1/11 Norway
1/17 Singapore
2/7 Argentina
3/2 Japan
3/8 Finland

Posters

Y6P51.jpg

C5wsA.jpg

GcSUDl.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

tumblr_m9vxz566lr1qdcfc3o1_500.gif

Dany

Banned
So excited for this movie, I hope to catch it on friday of its release but I have exams on monday so hopefully the week after.

According the ad running in the Village Voice, Angelika is NOT 70mm.

Interesting, got word straight from the distributor it was. Anyways, who would ever see it at Angelika if it's playing in Auditorum 1 at Lincoln Square? Never been to the former, isn't it smaller screens?

Interesting, got word straight from the distributor it was. Anyways, who would ever see it at Angelika if it's playing in Auditorum 1 at Lincoln Square? Never been to the former, isn't it smaller screens?

Better popcorn? The west side is a bitch to get to from Brooklyn?

There are reasons!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This movie seems to be a masterpiece on every level. Just going from the teasers the science of mind control and cults and the personality traits of those most suggestible is dead on.

Oscars for everyone!

It's weird, this year has had very few easily definable BP contenders from the festivals. Les Miserables could be, but hope they don't give it to Hooper again. If Academy is willing to bend a bit I could see The Master taking it based on its response so far. Plus they'll have like five months to let it resonate, which would only help with a PTA film.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent subheader. All you really need to know about this movie (though I would have added Jonny Greenwood to the title as well).

Didn't see it expressly mentioned in the OP: Is there a wide-release date yet?

Excellent subheader. All you really need to know about this movie (though I would have added Jonny Greenwood to the title as well).

Didn't see it expressly mentioned in the OP: Is there a wide-release date yet?

He gets his own section!

Word has it that it will go pretty wide by October 12, but no confirmation. Will update here when I see new listings.

Your facebook link is just leading to my homepage. Can't wait though, hopefully there's another 70 mm showing in Toronto outside of Tiff.

An-Det

I'll be seeing it on Saturday. After I saw TWWB in theaters I knew I would have to do the same with PTA's next film.

Articles/Interviews

Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master's Master [Village Voice]

The Master was supposed to be the movie that broke Anderson's habit of taking breaks between projects long enough to rival one of his filmmaking idols: Stanley Kubrick. Although, as I point out, Kubrick managed to direct eight features in his first 16 years as a director, whereas he has managed only six. To which a visibly unamused Anderson responds: "Oh, fuck off. It's been no fault of my own!"

Thankfully, Anderson's angel, Megan Ellison, has already committed to backing his next project: a film version of Thomas Pynchon's 2009 novel Inherent Vice, a kind of stoner Chinatown set in L.A. at the end of the 1960s, and the first time the reclusive Gravity's Rainbow author has allowed his work to be adapted for the screen. "And it's not going to take five years," Anderson says with a sly grin as he disappears into the night. "So you're gonna eat your fucking words."

All that navy sea water has made PTA very salty!

I would gladly take a PTA adaptation of anything Pynchon. The first director to successfully translate Gravity's Rainbow into a mini-series will be revered as a god amongst men.

Yeah: there's now way anyone could make a fitting adaptation of Gravity's Rainbow for matinee.

Jb

I'm so pissed that by the time this come out here, the film will have leaked all over the internet because of the oscar screeners.
From the trailers the film doesn't seem to be as "pulpy" as Boogie Nights or Magnolia, but also not as intense as TWBB, maybe lacking focus. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

jtb

Banned
Just got tickets to 7:15 at Lincoln Square on Friday. Trying to go in with a clear mind; avoiding reviews (though obviously saw the Venice stuff) and clips, etc.

Ridley327

It's weird, this year has had very few easily definable BP contenders from the festivals. Les Miserables could be, but hope they don't give it to Hooper again. If Academy is willing to bend a bit I could see The Master taking it based on its response so far. Plus they'll have like five months to let it resonate, which would only help with a PTA film.

Don't forget about the Weinstein factor!

If there's a will, Harvey will find a way.

Phoenix on how I'm Still Here damaged his career:

"For some time, people didn't know if [the gag] was continuing in some way. I would go in for meetings and they were not sure if I was [messing] with them or not," said Phoenix. "There was a noticeable drop in quality from things that I had looked at before 'I'm Still Here.' I thought, 'Wow, I've certainly limited myself in terms of the kind of work I can do. I can still get a job, but it's not the job I want to get.'"

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-et-mn-joaquin-phoenix-20120909,0,91979.story

Hooooly shit, just a little over 24 hours left til I see this baby. TWC is posting themselves that tickets are available, but that's not the case I don't think.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Wait I thought this shit was going wide on Sep 21, clarify thefilmstage please thanks.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Nope, don't think that was ever the case. I'd say around October 12th.

YOU SON OF A BITCH. Fine, see if I care! Not sure why San Diego isn't getting a limited showing, it's a major city! Also when is Michael Haneke's Love coming? Thank you basedfilmstage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom