• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The media are dying - now it's Vice

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The news just broke that Vice.com is shutting down. The BBC reported that Vice Media plans to cut hundreds of jobs as it stops publishing on Vice.com, according to a memo from chief executive Bruce Dixon. In May, the firm filed for bankruptcy in the US and was bought by Fortress Investment Group.

Mr Dixon said Vice plans to "partner with established media companies to distribute our digital content". Media firms including Channel 4, Los Angeles Times, and Business Insider have also cut jobs this year. Mr Dixon said "it is no longer cost-effective for us to distribute our digital content the way we have done previously," in the memo seen by the BBC. "Regrettably, this means that we will be reducing our workforce, eliminating several hundred positions," he said.

The company continues to sell the business, according to Mr Dixon who said the announcement will be made in the coming weeks.

Internet users have been devastated at this blow to quality news reporting.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Toots

Gold Member
Isn't a transwoman without op just a regular dude with a wig and fat tits? Just suck his dick and tickle his balls, how complicate can it be?
Yes it's just a roundabout way to say we have dick sucking tips to give you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pejo

Didn't Vice start out as guerilla journalism like way back in the day? Like going into warzones and getting the real scoops of how things were actually playing out for the people involved? I seem to remember that's how it started.

Anyways, it sucked for the last few years at least, rip in piss, Vice.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Didn't Vice start out as guerilla journalism like way back in the day? Like going into warzones and getting the real scoops of how things were actually playing out for the people involved? I seem to remember that's how it started.

Anyways, it sucked for the last few years at least, rip in piss, Vice.
They used to do proper journalism but for about a decade it has just been articles about different things to shove up your arse while taking ket, read exclusively by insufferable twats.

The Kotaku route.

mortal

Gold Member
They used to be cool back in the day, but like many other outlets they lost the plot during Trump's presidency, and now they mostly put out nonsense.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I liked the Pizza show that was on VICE TV. That was it. Their news is garbage and I am glad to see them go.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With the shitload of people who do blogs, baity websites, and dumbass posts, just imagine how much better internet content would be if lots of them did positive or educational articles.

Instead, you get clicky stuff like.... "You'll never guess what dress Beyonce wore last night!"

stn

They were solid back in the day but the quality and accuracy of what they were reporting deteriorated greatly. I'm not surprised by this.

Puscifer

A real shame what Vice ultimately became. Used to be some real cool stuff on there a long time ago. Devolved into absolute gutter trash, good riddance.
I can't really comment on their typed media, I've long said that whatever happened to journalism has made reading modern websites cringe inducing on both sides.

But Vice's YouTube is still pretty amazing for their coverage of fringe topics and I'll be pretty sad to see it go.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Alas, the "Solution" folks will take from this are to better align with fringe ideology, double down on shock journalism, butter up to DEI/ESG $$$ providers, and more clickbait.

The clear solution is integrity, objectivity, positivity, common interest, and a focus on humanity over sensationalism. When can I create an A.I. Walter Cronkite?

....with big tits, of course!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A few old mates of mine work there. Sad to see them go.

Also a lot of other media outlets are laying people off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom