• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

bradido said:
Has Ketsui been released on an home console besides DS? Most Cave stuff gets a PS2 release.
No. Arika was working on a PS2 port but they couldn't get State 5's reverse scrolling to work properly and decided to abandon the port. It's sad, but Arika's ports (DDPDOJ and ESPGaluda) were fantastic and they pride themselves on arcade perfection.

The DS game isn't a port of Kesui, it's a Boss Rush with redone bullet patterns.

x52ya0.jpg

lupin23rd

biocat said:
I finally found a copy of Ibara yesterday with the bonus strategy book!

I've been looking forever but saw one in Shinjuku Trader and snapped it up without hesitating. It isn't my favorite Cave shooter, but I did enjoy Battle Garegga, and Ibara is even better I'd say. Now I finally have all the PS2 Cave ports.

I guess the only natural step from here is to pick up a 360.

Trader is usually pretty awesome although I've never been to the Shinjuku branch.

I've got Ibara, Mushi, DDPDOJ, and Espgaluda, are there any others on PS2?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
adversesolutions said:

I played eXtra Black Label at TGS last week....it's definitely Daioujou! What are the differences between eXtra Black Label and plain old Arcade Black Label?

lupin23rd said:
Trader is usually pretty awesome although I've never been to the Shinjuku branch.

I've got Ibara, Mushi, DDPDOJ, and Espgaluda, are there any others on PS2?

Nope, that's it for that generation of CAVE games. Now you can look forward to the new one. ;)

TheTrin, strictly in terms of gameplay, the arcade mode of DOJBLEX will be just like the arcade game (unless they fuck it up), but there is also a new mode called EX where the character portraits have been redrawn, there is a new character named Piper and hypers allow you to do bullet canceling. Should be a fun mode for people new to shmups. Good for girlfriends and whatnot.

Ok, megaton time.

DOJBLEX and probably other CAVE ports for the 360 will be getting localized!

That's according to the 5PB rep at the DDPDOJBLEX and Thunderforce VI event today in Osaka. He says they haven't signed on the dotted line with the company yet but it will be officially announced 'at some point'. He said they will be trying to do the same for Ketsui and Deathsmiles.

Also, DDPDOJBLEX has slowdown reproduced within it (noticeable after destroying the rotating tower thing on the first part of stage 1) and they are working hard to maintain slowdown and not get rid of it.

Finally Piper is super easy to chain with given that she's always hypered. Full chained the stage with little effort.

Jason

adversesolutions said:
Ok, megaton time.

That's according to the 5PB rep at the DDPDOJBLEX and Thunderforce VI event today in Osaka. He says they haven't signed on the dotted line with the company yet but it will be officially announced 'at some point'. He said they will be trying to do the same for Ketsui and Deathsmiles.

kb3wjs.jpg

Did he give you a time frame at all? Like within the next few months?

Quixzlizx

adversesolutions said:
Nope, that's it for that generation of CAVE games. Now you can look forward to the new one. ;)

TheTrin, strictly in terms of gameplay, the arcade mode of DOJBLEX will be just like the arcade game (unless they fuck it up), but there is also a new mode called EX where the character portraits have been redrawn, there is a new character named Piper and hypers allow you to do bullet canceling. Should be a fun mode for people new to shmups. Good for girlfriends and whatnot.

Ok, megaton time.

Also, DDPDOJBLEX has slowdown reproduced within it (noticeable after destroying the rotating tower thing on the first part of stage 1) and they are working hard to maintain slowdown and not get rid of it.

Finally Piper is super easy to chain with given that she's always hypered. Full chained the stage with little effort.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *head explodes*

Bebpo

Banned
adversesolutions said:

That has to be one of the most messed up game covers yet. I wouldn't want that on my shelf when I have company.

thetrin said:
I played eXtra Black Label at TGS last week....it's definitely Daioujou! What are the differences between eXtra Black Label and plain old Arcade Black Label?

I'm not an expert on this, but going by the pictures I think it has 2 new ships? IIRC the PS2 one only had two ships to pick from. Also I think there might be an extra boss at the very end.

I'm guessing since it's a remix/upgrade the level layouts will be slightly changed as well.

Anyhow the extra ships are enough incentive for me to rebuy this. Plus gotta support Cave on X360 and get all their non-home-ported back catalog out.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh man -- i really hope the localizations pan out, but at this point i think i want a japanese 360 anyway. if only for raiden fighters aces

Fine said:
I love Cave. I actually really love DonPachi (without the extra Do). I get so easily addicted to shumps. I think the genre is just so... pure? Concentration and reflexes. Gaming pared down to the bare essentials.
Dangun Feveron is highly fun as well, and the scoring system is really unique.

And no mention of Muchi Muchi Pork? :D

I agree, and they're immediately fun and accessible, yet challenging. Also appeals to the raver in me that likes to get stimulated with lots of colors and sounds; the bullet hell style is often visually appealing with the organic shapes and brightness.

Warning Forever is fun, thanks guys!

U K Narayan said:
WHAT.

PLEASE BE TRUE.

Went back and confirmed with the guy. He said the contract has not been signed yet and the localization announcement may not happen until next year. Still, he said, it would be announced 'sometime soon'.

So...unless Otomedius is really worth it to you, don't jump the gun on a J 360.

lupin23rd

adversesolutions said:
Went back and confirmed with the guy. He said the contract has not been signed yet and the localization announcement may not happen until next year. Still, he said, it would be announced 'sometime soon'.

So...unless Otomedius is really worth it to you, don't jump the gun on a J 360.

Well there's still Raiden 4 and Raiden Fighters Aces too.

Tain

Future IGN/Edge/1up/Eurogamer review said:
While DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label Extra provides some quick thrills, most gamers will be done with it in a matter of an hour or so with little incentive to replay the game. The challenges that the player is put up against are literally impossible, and the developers decided to compensate by allowing the player to continue as many times as they need. This leads to and endless cycle of dying and continuing mere seconds after. Additionally, there are only a handful of stages, and they're awfully short. While this might fly on a service like XBLA, the game simply isn't worth the asking price of a retail title. The game might have been a success if the developers had included more than a tiny handful of stages, a save game feature, and some kind of experience point/upgrade system for the player's ship.

lupin23rd

1up doesn't know shmpus, Shane thinks these should be $10 XBLA.

Which is unfortunate because I agree with him on everything else :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tain said:

Jesus christ, before I saw the quote, I was mistaking it for an actual review... great impression, even if the reality is sad :(

Looking forward to hearing an official announcement with regards to localization. Wonder why Raiden Fighter Aces never got a US release?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If these Cave games come here, I will probably shoot huge jets of semen in my boxers. Raiden Fighters Aces too pls :(

I am really having mixed feeling right now. It is a good thing to Cave games get localized but I feel a little bit "oh no, not" after having spend a good ammount of cash in a japanese 360 (which will have no MS support here so if it goes 3RLs I am really f*).

It is better to get localized for all the people play it but right now I feel a little bit egoist. :D

Well, Raiden IV is on the mail for me. Still need to get Fighters and Castle at a good price (missed the Play-Asia sale of Castle). Otomedius is on pre-order

Fine

If the games are localized, I'll be in heaven. The only Cave games I've ever been able to play are through MAME - I don't have any import consoles, so I've been missing the past generation of shumps for quite some time now.

biocat

Anyone pick up the DS release of Ketsui Death Label?
I bought a few days ago and can fully recommend it. Basically a boss rush, it's quick and easy to pick up in short intervals on the DS. There are progressive unlockable difficulty levels as well as unlockable extras, and hints and tips (in Japanese) if you meet certain criteria.

The initial packages come with a super play DVD of the arcade version, so act quick if you want super cool extra stuff!

biocat said:
Anyone pick up the DS release of Ketsui Death Label?
I bought a few days ago and can fully recommend it. Basically a boss rush, it's quick and easy to pick up in short intervals on the DS. There are progressive unlockable difficulty levels as well as unlockable extras, and hints and tips (in Japanese) if you meet certain criteria.

The initial packages come with a super play DVD of the arcade version, so act quick if you want super cool extra stuff!
I assume the DVD is region locked to Japan?
Oh well, I still have my softmodded Xbox1 to watch it on.

_dementia said:
I assume the DVD is region locked to Japan?
Oh well, I still have my softmodded Xbox1 to watch it on.

If someone like to keep the consoles unmodded (like me) just a remind that the DVD coding of the original Xbox isn't in the console, but in the remote. You can buy a japonese remote (that work with the US xbox) pretty cheap.

Chiaroscuro said:
If someone like to keep the consoles unmodded (like me) just a remind that the DVD coding of the original Xbox isn't in the console, but in the remote. You can buy a japonese remote (that work with the US xbox) pretty cheap.

:| That is an awesome avatar.

They definitely need to get a steady stream of these Japanese shmups on XBLA, hopefully so we can get them ported over to America without having to do mods and such.

Skiptastic said:
:| That is an awesome avatar.

I tried to resize it and have to cut half the picture, since the original is horizontal. But it is nice, eh :D

Hope it is okay for the forum, I do not want to be tagged/banned.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
adversesolutions said:
Ok, megaton time.

OH. MY. GOD.

Gigaton.

Chiaroscuro said:
I tried to resize it and have to cut half the picture, since the original is horizontal. But it is nice, eh :D

Do you have this original picture, by any chance? ;D

Dodonpachi has been rated the, like, the best shooting game on shmup forum about four years straight. Does it deserve it? I think it do. Go play Mars Matrix.

Skiptastic said:
Do you have this original picture, by any chance? ;D

Dodonpachi has been rated the, like, the best shooting game on shmup forum about four years straight. Does it deserve it? I think it do. Go play Mars Matrix.
Dough Dawn Patch
Goo-Wang
Gig-Wang

truly an inspiration

ghibli99 said:
Cool about the (potential) localizations, still waiting for region-free news.

The more likely that there will be localizations, the less likely is a region-free release.

The sad thing is that if there are potential publishers for localizations, the Japanese release will be region locked for sure, even if the localizations never happen in the future.

Forget about the region-free stuff, it will not happen.

Yes Boss! said:
any info on what it extra in the Special Edition?

Kotaku is reporting that the Limited Edition version comes in a special box designed by Junya Inoue, who did the character work for Death Smiles and a soundtrack CD.

http://kotaku.com/5071801/xbox-360-shooter-death-smiles-getting-limited-edition

I guess that the picture on play-asia site is the limited version, as the regular one shows "preliminary picture".

EDITED: original source of information is Famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1219410_1124.html?ref=rss

Yes Boss!

Chiaroscuro said:
Kotaku is reporting that the Limited Edition version comes in a special box designed by Junya Inoue, who did the character work for Death Smiles and a soundtrack CD.

Thanks. I'll probably pull the trigger on the Special Edition...just gotta wait for my coupon that comes with Otomedius.

Definitely a good time to own a Japanese 360!

Yes Boss! said:
Thanks. I'll probably pull the trigger on the Special Edition...just gotta wait for my coupon that comes with Otomedius.

I could not wait and used the generic 5% off coupon. If I can grab a better coupon I will change my order later.

Waiting for Otomedius as well (already pre-ordered).

Yes Boss! said:
Definitely a good time to own a Japanese 360!

Indeed. I spend a considerable ammount of cash to get one here, now the separeted at birth brothers (US and Japanese consoles) stand side by side at my gaming room.

I do not hold my breath for a localization, and wanna play Otomedius +others, so I do not think it was a bad decision.

manzo

Fuuuuuck!

Otomedius, DDPDOJBL and now Death Smiles, all pre-ordered. That's nearly 200 dollars for 3 games! ;__;

manzo said:
Fuuuuuck!

Otomedius, DDPDOJBL and now Death Smiles, all pre-ordered. That's nearly 200 dollars for 3 games! ;__;

Plus I just got Raiden IV. Going bankcorrupted very soon, but at least I am going happy! :D

sammy

man, i wish they'd get some of these to the PS3 so i don't have to wory about region protection etc .... Japan 360 is getting all the love, what with the Raiden Jet fighter and all ... jealous !!

Top Bottom