• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Yes Boss!

andymcc said:
the supplemental material on the arika port is just fantastic, i don't really know what is on the 360 one as i don't have it yet. the arrange-mode soundtrack for the ps2 DDPDOJ pretty much warrants the purchase.

So, basically like the Espgaluda from Arika...with the Arrange Mode and side bar that shows level progression? It is still only $75 on eBay new and I'm in a Cave mood with DS and the new announcement. I think you've sold me on it.

manzo

Damn, I have the shittiest luck. :(

I've had DDPDOJBL pre-ordered from last autumn and YesAsia sent the package together with Shooting Love 200X. Shooting Love arrived last February, DDP was nowhere to be seen. I asked 3 weeks ago from YesAsia if something has happened, the said that the package has most probably lost in the transit. They were kind and sent me a new copy.

It's now been 15 days and still no DDP. I'm going to buy a shotgun soon and go ask the local post office where the fuck my packages are. :(

I've never had a YesAsia package lost in transit (out of something like 300 packages I've ordered online, only 2 orders have been lost) and now 2 in a row?

Yes Boss! said:
Finally unlocked X-mode of DDPBLX. I had previously gotten to about five hours but mistakingly erased my file while digging in the Japanese menus and I finally hit six hours tonight.

In any case, what exactly is the difference in X-mode? I've noticed chains build up quickly and Piper has a more powerful bullet-eating Hyper. Is is just that it is easier?

Also, since I've spent about twelve hours (shmup-time) with the game I'm wondering if it is time to finally purchase the older PS2 version. I can't for the life of me find any problems with this 360 port other than the initial loading but the hardcore fanatics claim the game is unplayable (!?) Would the PS2 version be overkill if I'm liking this port so much?

I have the PS2 port as well and I love the 360 port Loading aside.
If you're hooking up the PS2 version to a HDTV, then might as well play the 360 version. I played the PS2 port through the PS3 and the Xbox version sounds and looks better. There's no nasty shimmering when the screen scrolls and the sounds are much clearer; possibly a higher bitrate.

However, if you're planning to hook up the PS2 version to proper 240p monitor then it's worth getting that as well.

manzo

memecomplex said:
However, if you're planning to hook up the PS2 version to proper 240p monitor then it's worth getting that as well.

I'm keeping our 21" tube tv just for a proper 240p support. The TV is also tateable.

Yes Boss!

memecomplex said:
I have the PS2 port as well and I love the 360 port Loading aside.
If you're hooking up the PS2 version to a HDTV, then might as well play the 360 version. I played the PS2 port through the PS3 and the Xbox version sounds and looks better. There's no nasty shimmering when the screen scrolls and the sounds are much clearer; possibly a higher bitrate.

Yeah, this is one of my worries. My JPN PS2 is hooked up to my small HDTV which doesn't handle scaling so well. Looks decent but my Espgaluda gets kinda blocky compared to the DDPBLX scaled on my 1080p. I'm more interested in locking the PS2 one into my collection if it is considerably different for historical value...like, maybe I'll get a decent monitor down the line.

Question: the Arrange mode soundtrack that andymcc spoke so highly about, how does it compare to the fantastic arrange mode OST on the 360?

manzo

I just got an email from YesAsia:

With reference to the following item 'Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (Japan Version)' in your order XXXXXXX, the expected ship out date has been revised to Sep/29/2009.

Not good?

manzo

I'm welcoming the delay with open arms as long as 5pb doesn't rush it like Dodonpachi.

Not that I've played the 360 port yet, thanks to the post office.. :(

Yes Boss!

manzo said:
I'm welcoming the delay with open arms as long as 5pb doesn't rush it like Dodonpachi.

Not that I've played the 360 port yet, thanks to the post office.. :(

Yeah, couple of shmups coming in the next two months anyways. And Death Smiles has some DLC. Perhaps Cave will be tackling it themselves! I still haven't unlocked the challenging bonus level in the DS game yet.

manzo

Yes Boss! said:
Perhaps Cave will be tackling it themselves!.

Man, that would be cold-blooded! First sell the rights to 5pb, see the DDP fiasco and then take the porting back to in-house. "You guys suck, you don't deserve our code!" :lol

Yes Boss!

manzo said:
Man, that would be cold-blooded! First sell the rights to 5pb, see the DDP fiasco and then take the porting back to in-house. "You guys suck, you don't deserve our code!" :lol

Yeah, but just imagine a nice little lineup of Cave-produced shooters on your little bookshelf! I hope they really see decent sales on Death Smiles and Mushi Futari so the 360 becomes the sort of PC-Engine/Saturn this generation with a dedicated following.

manzo,

What is your gamertag and do you mind if I add you to my friends list? Mine is: Nanaqupina

manzo

I'm just really glad that we're getting true danmaku shooters on any home console. I'm really happy that CAVE is again seeing home consoles as good platforms to put their shooters into.

gamertag: Chikubi DOOON

We should try out Otomedius together, I haven't had the chance to try out the co-op mode in it yet.

danmaku

Yes Boss! said:
Also, since I've spent about twelve hours (shmup-time) with the game I'm wondering if it is time to finally purchase the older PS2 version. I can't for the life of me find any problems with this 360 port other than the initial loading but the hardcore fanatics claim the game is unplayable (!?) Would the PS2 version be overkill if I'm liking this port so much?

They call it unplayable because it's too different from the PCB and the PS2 version, so the high-scoring strategies don't work anymore. I don't even know if it's still possible to chain every stage from start to end, surely not in the way you can see in superplay DVDs, because enemy timing and slowdowns are all fucked up. But if you just play for survival (like me) and hadn't put hundreds of hours in the original version (again, like me), you'd barely see any difference. Still, the Arika port comes with a nice superplay DVD wich is very interesting (and kinda humiliating :lol ) to watch.

I won't get the DOJ port, but with the announcement of Mushi Futari, Death Smiles coming out and the possibility of Daifukkatsu and (OH GOD PLEASE) Espgaluda 2, Microsoft has just sold another japanese 360.

manzo

danmaku said:
They call it unplayable because it's too different from the PCB and the PS2 version, so the high-scoring strategies don't work anymore. I don't even know if it's still possible to chain every stage from start to end, surely not in the way you can see in superplay DVDs, because enemy timing and slowdowns are all fucked up. But if you just play for survival (like me) and hadn't put hundreds of hours in the original version (again, like me), you'd barely see any difference. Still, the Arika port comes with a nice superplay DVD wich is very interesting (and kinda humiliating :lol ) to watch.

Good to hear this, I'm still so shitty in the PS2 port that I can't even finish the game in one credit, let alone do any decent chains. The 360 port will be good enough for me.

I can understand the super pro's crying about the port, but those players should have the PCB at their place already. :)

I kinda hate those superplay DVD's, they kinda... kill the feeling of success in the games. You think you did good? Watch the DVD and you feel like "OK, I've seen everything. I'm done with this."

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

I just play for fun and try to get as far on one quarter as I can without continuing. So far I can make it to the third level boss after a month of play...which I consider an accomplishment!

On an unrelated note: I just bought Gradius V for the PS2. Never played it but I've been having serious fun with Rebirth on Wiiware and the Salamander collection on PS2. Judging from the videos it seems I'm going to be in for quite a game!

manzo,

Definitely up to try Oto on co-op. I've got midterms now, so give me a week to get up to speed. Haven't really played the game much but I just put it in a few days ago to get used to horizontal shooters in anticipation for Death Smiles.

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, this is one of my worries. My JPN PS2 is hooked up to my small HDTV which doesn't handle scaling so well. Looks decent but my Espgaluda gets kinda blocky compared to the DDPBLX scaled on my 1080p. I'm more interested in locking the PS2 one into my collection if it is considerably different for historical value...like, maybe I'll get a decent monitor down the line.

Question: the Arrange mode soundtrack that andymcc spoke so highly about, how does it compare to the fantastic arrange mode OST on the 360?

From what I can discern, the arrange mode OST on the 360 is the same soundtrack on the PS2, but the PS2 version sounds less clear compared to the 360.

danmaku

manzo said:
I kinda hate those superplay DVD's, they kinda... kill the feeling of success in the games. You think you did good? Watch the DVD and you feel like "OK, I've seen everything. I'm done with this."

I agree with that. I think it's much funnier when you find a good route or a nice scoring trick by yourself instead of just watching a superplay and repeat. I enjoyed the DOJ DVD because I don't like the 'pachis scoring system and so probably I'll never play it for score. But I have never watched the Espgaluda DVD exactly for this reason. I like to experiment different tactics to score well, and I don't care if I'll never get close to the pro scores.

I'm still hoping Cave considers some kind of anthology set of all of the games that slipped through the cracks in terms of ports.

Actually even if it was just a set of ports of ESP Ra De, Guwange, and Dangun Feveron that'd be sweet(Progear would be nice as well but Capcom might have something to say about it). I'd also like to see Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork eventually as well seeing as how those two are most likely to follow in the footsteps of ERD/G/DF/P. I think when Futari is close to release Cave will announce Galuda 2 and then in respective fashion we'll see DDP Fukkaitsu.

Shame Cave would never look at XBLA for a release of even a much older title though. =/ A release of DDP on XBLA would do wonders for their exposure.

Not Cave related but once May rolls around I'm going to put together a thread for Raiden Fighter Aces US(since it looks like the May 5th date is going to stick). The more people we can get interested in the genre the better and I'd like to see Cave hit US consoles before I die.

RickA238

PepsimanVsJoe said:
ESP Ra De, Guwange, and Dangun Feveron that'd be sweet(Progear would be nice as well but Capcom might have something to say about it).

These are all MAME-perfect. Just saying.....

Awesome news about Futari, really didn't see that coming at all. I highly doubt any of these Cave ports will be localized. I don't mind if the Ketsui delay to September is legitimate, just as long as 5pb ports the game well. I don't want any half-assed port forcing me to buy the PCB.

I think now you will definitely see at least DDP:DFK and Death Smiles 2 ported to 360, with MMP and Galuda 2 not out of the realm of possibility.

OK j360s are a lot more expensive than I thought. $300 + shipping? No thanks! Anyone know of any deals on Jaspers? I know there probably aren't any but I'm praying! :(

My Death Smiles shipped! Wasn't expecting that. Neat.

Is Otomedius any good at all? It's not typical Gradius "die and lose all your powerups and you're fucked" style, is it?

RickA238 said:
High quality console ports with online leaderboards would be sooooo much better than MAME.

manzo said:
I just got an email from YesAsia:

With reference to the following item 'Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (Japan Version)' in your order XXXXXXX, the expected ship out date has been revised to Sep/29/2009.

Not good?
Hey, that's great news. They need to get this port right.

Oh and I sent a few of you dudes XBL friend requests. I hope that's cool. Need more folks who will actually buy these games on there!

RickA238 said:

Yeah I know. How do you think I obtained this avatar?

Somehow I doubt a genre divided by PCB-owning elitist twits and thankless rom-"owners" is going to flourish outside of Japan. The shooters that actually get console retail releases? In the rest of the world 100 or so are purchased and they change hands every few months. Cave is pretty much the only company surviving and are by association the only one capable of creating any sort of resurgence in the genre. In order to do so however they'll have to learn to embrace services that extend beyond arcades and the occassional very late port(or relatively early one if the game wasn't that popular in arcades).

For once I'd like to support a company that has given me countless hours of entertainment and more than 10 years of some of the best shooters ever made. And yet outside of importing a console for $300+ my options still remain quite limited.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Hey! I'm not a twit. :(

No way. I saw you the other day talking about how you live right next to/on top of/inside an arcade in Japan yet you still buy all the PCBs and then sit in your room posting about how shitty console-owners are for being reduced to buying the shitty ports that are always shit. Then you go outside to flick boogers at the people waiting in line for the newest Cave release. You may or may not actually play any of those PCBs own but you for damn sure own them and will mention it in every other post.

Yes I'm joking but to me elitism will kill everything I love about gaming faster than an infinite number of Wiifits.

manzo

Mihara's blog had some "insight" on the Ketsui situation.

Mihara asked about the situation and the president of 5pb said that the game is 98% complete. They do not want to release the game until the 2% has been "done". :)

Pretty much the DDP situation, the code must be still buggy as hell, so they're postponing the release.

RickA238

manzo said:
Pretty much the DDP situation, the code must be still buggy as hell, so they're postponing the release.

I couldn't hear better news on the situation. They can delay it another two years as long as we get an arcade-perfect port, because I will be playing it for 10+ years to come.

Yes Boss! said:
But, got confirmation NCS is shipping a Death Smiles LE on Friday!

You're pretty lucky for getting a pre-ordered LE actually shipped. How much did your order come out to? I heard they bumped up the price given the shortages. I just (as of about 15 minutes ago) bought one off eBay for $142 shipped. I figure it's worth it because the LE will become stupid expensive due to the shortages....I might actually keep this one sealed and buy a RE copy as well, to actually open and play. This game looks sweet.

Dazzyman

Just been checking around in UK and Lee at Videogameimports.com has already got Deathsmiles instock. It had to be bought their and then :lol Not bothered about paying an extra £10 as its going to take me over a week to get it from HK/JPN. Next day will do me!

Regarding DDPDJ I dont see what all the big mental hate is regarding it on 360. I play for survival and its fine. I had the port on PS2 and for a non hardcore 2looper I cant see much of a difference apart from the music. Their working on it anyway so would expect a big patch to sort it out but Id reccomend getting it. Its still my fav after Raiden Aces (and Raiden IV close behind it suprised how good that is). I know the ultra score attack and competative guys have a point that its a sub port but IM sure their happier with a PCB of it anyway. Id rather have it than not bloody have it with a few broken bits :lol

Just glad I bought myself a JPN unit :D

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Anyone know the name of the shmup where one of the bosses shoots Kanji configured bullets at you spelling out different phrases? I played it over a friends house and it was pretty nice but it looked like it could have been a Doujin.

I'm old school I guess because I preferred shooters like Radiant Silvergun and Raystorm. I guess the shmup genre is too niche to use high production 3D values anymore. It really is quite a shame.

Shaheed79 said:
I guess the shmup genre is too niche to use high production 3D values anymore. It really is quite a shame.

There are still a handful of shooters that use 3D graphics(Raiden IV and Thunderforce VI come to mind). Cave doesn't though and this happens to be a Cave thread.

And these shooters with "high production values" tend to be console exclusive because arcade-goers are more interested in playing games than watching a camera swoop around.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
There are still a handful of shooters that use 3D graphics(Raiden IV and Thunderforce VI come to mind). Cave doesn't though and this happens to be a Cave thread.

And these shooters with "high production values" tend to be console exclusive because arcade-goers are more interested in playing games than watching a camera swoop around.
Actually, Death Smiles II uses polygons.

Yes Boss!

RickA238 said:
You're pretty lucky for getting a pre-ordered LE actually shipped. How much did your order come out to? I heard they bumped up the price given the shortages. I just (as of about 15 minutes ago) bought one off eBay for $142 shipped. I figure it's worth it because the LE will become stupid expensive due to the shortages....I might actually keep this one sealed and buy a RE copy as well, to actually open and play. This game looks sweet.

They charged $126, up from the original $109. They told me they are shipping out tomorrow along with my Monster Hunter G Starter pack. I've also got the Sapphire PSP port arriving making for a big import week.

I don't really have an issue with the elevated Death Smiles price and was planning on going to eBay to pick one up if NCS did not come through. I usually do my eBay imports from a person named Kyoto_temple_artist and he/she was charging $150.

RickA238

Yes Boss! said:
They charged $126, up from the original $109. They told me they are shipping out tomorrow along with my Monster Hunter G Starter pack. I've also got the Sapphire PSP port arriving making for a big import week.

I don't really have an issue with the elevated Death Smiles price and was planning on going to eBay to pick one up if NCS did not come through. I usually do my eBay imports from a person named Kyoto_temple_artist and he/she was charging $150.

Yeah, $130-$140 seems to be the going rate for the LE right now. Does anyone know what the final production run for the LE's was?

I forgot about that Sapphire port, I wonder if it turned out well.

Yes Boss!

RickA238 said:
I forgot about that Sapphire port, I wonder if it turned out well.

We will know soon enough! I had no idea the game was even available on any platform till earlier this month...guess it came out a year ago. Going on two-weeks since play-asia shipped so it should be here any day.

Also, wonder how long adversesoulutions and Chiaroscuro are banned for? Hope it is not perma as they usually have great contributions to the shooter threads.

Hopefully I get my PSP back sometime whenever. I really want to get back to playing my Parodius/Gradius/XEXEX collections.

Also I still want to import Sapphire PSP eventually, never played the game before but I've listened to the soundtrack a large number of times.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
PepsimanVsJoe said:

Thanks for the info but I'm probably one of the few gafers who actually buy's shmups that I like instead of just emulating them. I don't care what you're disgruntled about so save it for whatever unfortunate people who have to live with you.

Wehrwolf

Apparently you need a more detailed description to narrow down the choices ;)

Edit to reply to your edit: Yep, its a humorous shooter, but that boss is by far the most inspired thing in the game. Has a bunch of characters from misc Jaleco licenses and lots of good voice acting during the intermissions.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wehrwolf said:
Apparently you need a more detailed description to narrow down the choices ;)

Edit to reply to your edit: Yep, its a humorous shooter, but that boss is by far the most inspired thing in the game. Has a bunch of characters from misc Jaleco licenses and lots of good voice acting during the intermissions.
I had better drop it or Pepsimanjoey will get all antsy since it's not a Cave made game.

Actually I can keep this on topic because it reminded me of Caves ESP series how the Bosses were regular small humans like you and they threw crazy amounts of bullet patterns at you. My friend let me play a boss where a male dressed in white would send out these awesome looking Kanji shaped bullet patterns before sucking them back in and spitting them out even faster.

It's hard to explain but i'm pretty sure it was a PC shmup and not emulated and it could have even been a Doujin game. If it was Doujin it was of extremely high quality and the team who made it were definitely fans of Cave's ESP series.

EDIT: I youtubed some more videos of Game Tengoku and I was pretty impressed. Looks like tons of fun.

Wehrwolf said:

Shoot Game Paradise was filled with inspired moments. One of the stages was practically straight out of an old Dragon Quest clone.

Edit: Could be any one of the Touhou games.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Shoot Game Paradise was filled with inspired moments. One of the stages was practically straight out of an old Dragon Quest clone.

Edit: Could be any one of the Touhou games.
Just searched Touhou and yup that is definitely how the layout of the game looked. I can't tell which one of their games it is though because they all look the same. I'm not interested enough to go through all of them just to find that Boss battle. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go check out Thunderforce VI since I never liked the Raiden series much.

Found this documentary on Shoot-em-ups where they spend 7 minutes talking about Cave shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cUsO_-lXJc

It's in French though.

Daigoro

RickA238 said:

Dangun isnt perfect, unless they updated it within the past year or so. it used to run very fast. you had to turn down the ship speed to the lowest setting just to make it semi playable.

still id love to own some decent console ports of all of those 3 or 4 classic games. they are so good.

Yes Boss!

Reported 62% sell-through rate on first day sales for DS (just under 10K):

[WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - SP 65,000 (60%) / SE 27,000 (30%)
[PS3] Killzone 2 (SCE) - 20,000 (45%)
[PSP] Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3: Kowareyuku Machi no Kanojo no Uta (Irem Software Engineering) - 19,000 (35%)
[360] Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. (Ubisoft) - 6,000 (40%)
[360] DeathSmiles (Cave) - LE 5,000 (65%) / SE 4,000 (60%)
[NDS] A Ressha de Gyoukou DS (Artdink) - 4,500 (30%)
[PSP] Nantama: Chronicle of Dungeon Maker (Global A Entertainment) - 2,000 (25%)
[NDS] Mezase!! Tsuri Master DS (Hudson) - 1,500 (7%)
[NDS] Zaidanhoujin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 250 Banjin no Kanken Premium - Zenkyuu Zen-Kanji Kanzen Seiha (IE Institute) - 800 (3%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1240505017/110

RickA238

Yes Boss! said:
[360] DeathSmiles (Cave) - LE 5,000 (65%) / SE 4,000 (60%)

So then are we to believe that there were more copies printed of the Limited Edition than of the Standard Edition?

LE: 5000/~0.65 = ~7500
SE: 4000/~0.60 = ~6700

So were the stories about shortages for the LE just bullshit? I read earlier today on shmups.system11.org that people were finding stacks of the LE in stores in Japan. I don't understand how you claim to be selling a LE with more copies printed than the SE. I highly doubt this game will get a second print run. Have any Cave games in the past had a second printing?

BTW Yes Boss!, I can't stop looking at your avatar, Aishwarya is gorgeous.

Yes Boss!

RickA238 said:
So then are we to believe that there were more copies printed of the Limited Edition than of the Standard Edition?

LE: 5000/~0.65 = ~7500
SE: 4000/~0.60 = ~6700

So were the stories about shortages for the LE just bullshit? I read earlier today on shmups.system11.org that people were finding stacks of the LE in stores in Japan. I don't understand how you claim to be selling a LE with more copies printed than the SE. I highly doubt this game will get a second print run. Have any Cave games in the past had a second printing?

BTW Yes Boss!, I can't stop looking at your avatar, Aishwarya is gorgeous.

I think there were just shortages for the big distributors that exist outside of Japan (play-asia, etc). I think a lot of the domestic Japanese fans would likely go for the limited without thinking, like a lot of us have, to give as much support to Cave. Second printing? What were the runs of the other Arika games? Surely DS must have pushed a few fans over the edge to finally getting a system (especially with the Mushi announcement last week).

Oh yeah, Avatar = Asin! The stunning Tamil actress who is set to take the Mumbai industry by storm. Both she and Ash are from the south, so I can perhaps see the similarities. Here she is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-klcKt25qM&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PizWnJpUPGA&NR=1&fmt=18

Mushihimesama PS2 had a "Taito Best" reprint.

Ibara PS2 was scheduled to have one too, but after Square Enix bought Taito those plans were axed.

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Mushihimesama PS2 had a "Taito Best" reprint.

Ibara PS2 was scheduled to have one too, but after Square Enix bought Taito those plans were axed.

I still have to get those two games but collectively they go for $350+. A little rich for my blood. I guess I really should just swallow the pill and at least get Ibara. Isn't Mushihemesama just ridiculously tough, anyways? Kinda sad, I spend that much money without thinking on hardware and sticks every other month but for a single game it is tough.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yes Boss! said:
I still have to get those two games but collectively they go for $350+. A little rich for my blood. I guess I really should just swallow the pill and at least get Ibara. Isn't Mushihemesama just ridiculously tough, anyways? Kinda sad, I spend that much money without thinking on hardware and sticks every other month but for a single game it is tough.

Honestly, I vastly prefer Mushihime-sama to Ibara, so I would get that. Though ESPGaluda tops em both, as far as PS2 Cave ports go.

Yes Boss! said:
Holy shit even the Taito Best reprint of Mushi goes for a lot of money. I had no idea. I bought it for like $30 two years ago. Now I think I should sell mine. :lol

Yes Boss! it seems like you're doing the right thing buying all the 360 ports as they come out rather than eating ridiculous aftermarket prices later.

Now I'm really considering Deathsmiles and Ketsui now even without a J-360. Mushi Futari was a given already.

Holy fuck at Ketsui Death Label's value too.

Top Bottom