• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Looking to finally get around to modding an arcade stick with some better parts. I remember hearing about Lizard Lick Amusements in this thread, but it looks like they've shut down.

Where is the best/cheapest place to order a new stick/buttons from? Also, I know Seimetsu sticks are generally preferred for shooters. Just to hear from you guys, why the preference? I want to swap out because I feel like my sticks are pretty unresponsive, especially after playing some Cave stuff on cabinets when I was at Magfest. Thanks for the input.
Does this mean you're going to give me my stick back? =P

Does anyone know if the Futari 1.01 DLC code requires a Japanese gamer tag? I got back from a trip out of town and the Post Office left a note that they tried to deliver the game on Sat so will be picking it up tomorrow. Now I just need to get a new 360. :/

meppi

Does anyone know if the Futari 1.01 DLC code requires a Japanese gamer tag? I got back from a trip out of town and the Post Office left a note that they tried to deliver the game on Sat so will be picking it up tomorrow. Now I just need to get a new 360. :/

Nah, you'll be fine with your regular gamer tag.
The only region free game that needs a Japanese gamer tag to register the DLC card is Muchi Muchi Pork.

STG!

Thanks for the link, STG. Which stick do most of you guys use?

No prob. I use the Semitsu LS-32 on my setup, which is a DC arcade stick I modded to work with my supergun.

I prefer the Semitsu (PS-14) buttons over Sanwa, but you might want to try both just to see what you like!

SOME-MIST

I have an EX-SE and then a VX-SA modded with an LS-56-01 and SE PS-14-KN buttons. I actually prefer the short travel distance of the 56-01.. although the EX-SE case is superior.

anyways, 4 more days until my copy of Mushihimesama HD ships! It's probably the only game that will pull me away from Diablo 3 at the moment. I'll probably sink at least 40-50 hours into it over the next couple of weeks.

Zeth

Finally 1CCed Futari Black Label last night! I feel like it took way longer than it should have. Game is burnt into my mind. It was the first console shmup I've ever played, and first time with an arcade stick, so I guess it's not too bad.

Trying to choose something to work on next. 1.5 Original would probably be doable. I really like both Maniacs but they might be too much for me. Maybe DDPR?

edit: quick questions: Mushi HD only playable on J360? And do I need a PAL/JP account to get DDPR Black Label DLC?

I'm looking to get into more Cave STG's even though I suck at them :( which ones can I get on 360 at decent prices?
Edit: I should mention I have Deathsmiles

SOME-MIST

edit: quick questions: Mushi HD only playable on J360? And do I need a PAL/JP account to get DDPR Black Label DLC?
no one knows since cave hasn't said anything, but my guess would be that it's region-locked since cave hasn't said anything

Zeth

I'm looking to get into more Cave STG's even though I suck at them :( which ones can I get on 360 at decent prices?

TheHut.com has Dodonpachi Resurrection for about 18$ shipped to US. Futari and Espgaluda II JP Platinum Hits versions are pretty affordable too.

no one knows since cave hasn't said anything, but my guess would be that it's region-locked since cave hasn't said anything

I'm running out of things to get for my US 360. Really wish I could get a Japanese 360 cheaper :/ Hopefully sometime this year.

TheHut.com has Dodonpachi Resurrection for about 18$ shipped to US. Futari and Espgaluda II JP Platinum Hits versions are pretty affordable too.
I've been hovering over Dondonpachi for a while. I see it pop up on sale alot over on CAG. Espgaldua I have been wanting for a while.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hey homies, does anyone know if there are any differences (even minor ones) between the European and Japanese versions of Daifukkatsu? Other than the obvious name, price, and region-coding differences... Maybe some fixed bugs?

Tain

Yes to Mushi HD being region-locked. As far as DDP DFK/R Black Label goes, I needed a Japanese tag to get the DLC for the Japanese disc. I'd imagine you'd need a European tag to get the DLC for the European disc, but maybe not. I think this has been covered in this thread, not sure.

RiderKairuu said:

Deathsmiles IIX is on the NA Games On Demand marketplace for $30, I believe. It's the Japanese data through and through, but it will run on North American 360s. Arcade Mode is where it's at in that game, but it can be pretty ugly.

Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 is a pretty common suggestion, and for good reason. It's easily a top-tier Cave game, it's not ridiculously pricey (I think you can find it for around 50), the game's three courses suit different skill levels pretty well (without getting too easy), and it's region-free.

SOME-MIST

I'm running out of things to get for my US 360. Really wish I could get a Japanese 360 cheaper :/ Hopefully sometime this year.
You're really not missing out on a whole lot. You're only really missing out on Ketsui, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou BLEX (you can play this on JP PS2), Ketsupachi mode in DDPDFKBL, and Mushi HD.

Of course there's other shmups developed by companies other than cave, but this is a cave thread so I won't mention 'em.

Thanks for the suggestions Tain. I got Deathsmiles for so cheap ($15) that it was hard to justify spending $30 for sequel without knowing of the quality of the game. Which leads me to my next question, how is Deathsmiles II compared to the first? I thoroughly enjoyed playing Deathsmiles.

BOTEC

You're really not missing out on a whole lot. You're only really missing out on Ketsui, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou BLEX (you can play this on JP PS2), Ketsupachi mode in DDPDFKBL, and Mushi HD.

Of course there's other shmups developed by companies other than cave, but this is a cave thread so I won't mention 'em.

But all those things are awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions Tain. I got Deathsmiles for so cheap ($15) that it was hard to justify spending $30 for sequel without knowing of the quality of the game. Which leads me to my next question, how is Deathsmiles II compared to the first? I thoroughly enjoyed playing Deathsmiles.

My review: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/review/xbla/deathsmiles-iix/

For non-fans of text I'll sum it up:

Deathsmiles IIX is a bit of an odd-bird. It's not as well-crafted and the additional modes are lacking. However I kinda prefer its scoring system. Still given the choice I'd wait until you're really hurting for a Cave shooter and have already picked up Futari, ESP Galuda 2, and put a fair amount of time into the first Deathsmiles.

*If you do read the review don't ask me why it features screenshots from the first game. I only provide the words. Also I apologize for the terrible realmTV ad.

Personally I like DSIIX more than DSI simply because it's so much shorter than the first game, which has really long levels in the canyon/ice palace/hades castle.

I'm probably in the minority in liking the X-mode much more than Arcade mode but I think it's way more fun. Gathering up bullets close to your character and then expelling them in one huge blast is really satisfying.

I've been hovering over Dondonpachi for a while. I see it pop up on sale alot over on CAG. Espgaldua I have been wanting for a while.

Do it! I purchased it last week from shopto for about 26 dollars shipped to the US and it came within 5 days. Its fantastic. Still learning the ropes.

Adding to my shmup collection :) Akai Katana and ESPgaluda II are both in the mail.

Personally I like DSIIX more than DSI simply because it's so much shorter than the first game, which has really long levels in the canyon/ice palace/hades castle.

Yeah that's something that really bugs me about DS1. The first six levels are practically Psikyo-length so the final (or two...or three if playing MBL) feel like a second half of the game. It's also where the difficulty curve takes a massive uptick, which is frustrating.

Also I haven't spent enough time to check but I think the cast of DSIIX is a bit better balanced than that of DS1(although I also believe there is one character that is pretty much the best for scoring purposes).
Then again DSIIX is just plain easier in general.

Thanks guys! Pepsi I'll be sure to read your DSIIX review. Dondonpachi may be my next purchase, I have to see how I'm looking after Dragons Dogma.

Tain

Trying to choose something to work on next. 1.5 Original would probably be doable. I really like both Maniacs but they might be too much for me. Maybe DDPR?

Difficulty-wise, I'd say that DDPR with Strong is a good bit easier than 1.5 Original, but really, go with whatever you have more fun with.

RiderKairuu said:

Deathsmiles II got a lot of hate around release (likely for being region-locked, ugly, and not the most accurate home port), but I think a lot of people have come around to really liking the game itself.

It has a few modes, but I've only really put time into arcade mode. I prefer it's arcade mode to the original's largely due to the difficulty curve when playing for survival, but I think I like the scoring more as well.

Nah, you'll be fine with your regular gamer tag.
The only region free game that needs a Japanese gamer tag to register the DLC card is Muchi Muchi Pork.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Do it! I purchased it last week from shopto for about 26 dollars shipped to the US and it came within 5 days. Its fantastic. Still learning the ropes.

Adding to my shmup collection :) Akai Katana and ESPgaluda II are both in the mail.

So does the PAL DDP Resurrection not have arrange mode? Only available in import revs?

So does the PAL DDP Resurrection not have arrange mode? Only available in import revs?

There are -three- modes labelled "Arrange" in DFK. The PAL version, being identical to the JP 1.5 disc, has two of them.

Arrange A: The main game with some aspects made to more closely resemble DOJ.
Arrange B: A weird score-attack-ish thing I still haven't figured out.
Black Label Arrange: The so-called "Ketsupachi", only available on the Black Label retail disc in Japan.

There are -three- modes labelled "Arrange" in DFK. The PAL version, being identical to the JP 1.5 disc, has two of them.

Arrange A: The main game with some aspects made to more closely resemble DOJ.
Arrange B: A weird score-attack-ish thing I still haven't figured out.
Black Label Arrange: The so-called "Ketsupachi", only available on the Black Label retail disc in Japan.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

edit: Also is Futari 1.5 considered the black label of that game?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anyone know how much AmiAmi charges for shipping to the US? Like, whatever the cheapest option is. It could take 2 months to get here and it wouldn't matter. I just want the cheapest Mushihime I can get.

shaowebb

Saw Akai Katana today and I am so going to buy it as I love sidescroll shooters. Because of this I took the plunge and got Deathsmiles today and it is incredible. I noticed Deathsmiles 2 is on xbox live for $36 but I can get Deathsmiles 2x with extra stuff imported from Play Asia for only $34 right now.

Will Deathsmiles 2x play on my US 360? Also did they english translate the Xbox live version or just port it directly to games on demand?

Really looking forward to that game since it has evil Santa and giant mutant Rudolph to fight in the first level.

Tain

The On Demand version is still in Japanese. The disc version will not play on your US 360, but the On Demand version will.

Llyranor

If you have a US 360, GamesOnDemand (not translated, btw) is the only way to play DS2, IIRC. Don't get a retail copy.

I prefer it to DS1, highly recommended.

shaowebb

The On Demand version is still in Japanese. The disc version will not play on your US 360, but the On Demand version will.

If you have a US 360, GamesOnDemand (not translated, btw) is the only way to play DS2, IIRC. Don't get a retail copy.

I prefer it to DS1, highly recommended.

Thanks for this. What Cave games will play on the US 360 then? Will Akai Katana and Deathsmiles be the only ones or are some region free?

Thanks for this. What Cave games will play on the US 360 then? Will Akai Katana and Deathsmiles be the only ones or are some region free?

Mushi Futari, Espgaluda II, Muchi Muchi Pork/ Pink Sweets double pack, and the Euro release of Dodonpachi Resurrection are all region free.

Mushi Futari, Espgaluda II, Muchi Muchi Pork/ Pink Sweets double pack, and the Euro release of Dodonpachi Resurrection are all region free.

To be more precise, the Euro DFK is unlocked for NTSC U/C and PAL. It won't work on NTSC J consoles (nor will Deathsmiles NA and Akai Katana NA/PAL).

ESP Galuda II is only free in the standard and I guess platinum version. Limited is locked ( Just in case you'll find it somewhere). And Resurrection is not "region-free" it's just playable on us consoles, too. ;)
Edith: To late.

shaowebb

For Espgaluda 2, only the normal version will do, not limited.

Also, don't forget Guwange XBLA

To be more precise, the Euro DFK is unlocked for NTSC U/C and PAL. It won't work on NTSC J consoles (nor will Deathsmiles NA and Akai Katana NA/PAL).

ESP Galuda II is only free in the standard and I guess platinum version. Limited is locked ( Just in case you'll find it somewhere). And Resurrection is not "region-free" it's just playable on us consoles, too. ;)
Edith: To late.

Awesome! Thanks for everything on this. Got to say these things are so awesome. The soundtrack on Deathsmiles is amazing and I'm really digging all the crazy as hell visuals in it. I always loved Fantasy Zone so sidescroller shmups have a special place for me, but as a major fan of the Mobile Light Force/Castle Shikigami series I am no stranger to the topdowns. Most of these seem to be topdown jobs which is fine as I've been playing some Jamestown as of late getting back in the groove (the $12000 ducat ship is ass with its exploding bullet trail. Treason/Bomber ships in the DLC are awesome though)

Man it feels good to shmup again. Until Deathsmiles my last shmups were DLC fantasy zone, and Castle Shikigami 3. Before that Twinkle Star Sprites. Nice to see how much stuff has gone into the genre though from Cave. So many cool visuals and tactics have been added since those games.

Zeth

Surprised local Gamestops seem to have Deathsmiles in stock. Called to be sure. Definitely picking up tomorrow. I played a lot of it on iOS but now that I'm playing 360 shmups with a stick, I need to have it.

Surprised local Gamestops seem to have Deathsmiles in stock. Called to be sure. Definitely picking up tomorrow. I played a lot of it on iOS but now that I'm playing 360 shmups with a stick, I need to have it.

I dunno what GS is selling copies for right now, but Amazon has the regular edition for $12.40 and the LE for $21.99. The LE is nothing special unless you have a place to display the big box.

Llyranor

Oh yeah, absolutely. I love having them on the go, and touch controls actually work pretty well (though ship speed has been changed to fit around that, so it's not the original design). Stick controls, though, hehehehehehe <3 <3 <3

Yes Boss!

I guess, haha. That Sanwa stick really isn't that great, at least not for shooters.

Thanks for the link, STG. Which stick do most of you guys use?

I like the HX-SE as well.

My favorite set-up is an LS-32 with Sanwa buttons. Best mix. Have not tried any of the other Seimitsu sticks yet.

Top Bottom