• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

hongcha

Is Bug Princess 2 Black Label worth it (since it's like $22 once you buy boss rush)?

It's not worth it at that price. It's the only iOS game of theirs that's ridiculously overpriced and never goes on sale. I have no idea why.

As for DDP Maximum, I just bought it and played a bit and I'm really impressed. I like it a lot more than the other DDP games on the iOS because you don't have to play it like an arcade game (switching shot types all the time, hypering, etc). Just move, dodge, and shoot! This is the way iOS shooters should be.

Zeth

I like DDP Maximum. The difficulty is just right, it's tuned to be just hard enough without being impossible on touch controls, and all the patterns are quickly recognizable obviously. I unlocked all the ships pretty quickly, only have to complete the 5th stage with each new one. Unlocked a fighter plane from Akai Katana, very cool.

Re: BP2 Black Label it's my favorite of the iOS ports. The boss rush isn't necessary but it's a nice mode to mess around with. Shedding gems is bliss on iOS :p

BOTEC

I messed around with DDP Maximum a bit today. I'm not really feeling it. The bullet "wobble" bugs me, and the general super clean edges on all the projectiles look cheap, like a Flash game. I also find it hard to notice the enemies since the backdrop is so busy and there isn't enough contrast. I do like the ship and weapon variety, and the whole "DDP Remix" structure. And stuff blows up real good, which is always nice.

Yes Boss!

Anyone tried DDP Maximum on an iPhone 4 yet? Says it may not run at proper speed... it's what I've got so I'm curious now.

Some folks on shmups did. Some say it was crashing, other said it works.

Fwiw, I tried to download it on my 4th gen Touch. No go as it is locked and says "Need a Digital Compass." Kinda like the forward-facing camera lock gate on Blissfull Death.

Been playing the shit out of the game. About half the board unlocked, and one new ship. Really is ace.

jbueno

Can´t wait to try DDP Maximum once I get an iPad Mini, I loved it on a friend´s Nokia Lumia and while I was planning on getting a Windows Phone I´ll get the iPad first.

Yes Boss!

Let it be said: this constant upgrade of the Apple hardware is a real pain in the balls. Such a mess how things only work on certain systems. There is something to be said for the locked in specs of the 3DS and Vita.

I cancelled my iPhone 5 order and just went with a 4S at the apple store and I know I'll probably run into problems in about a year. Guess that is when I get a iPad Mini.

Not much info about Maximun on the web. Still trying to figure it out a bit.

braves01

Banned
Bug Princess 2 BL is exactly like the proper game. It is one of the harder games to play given the format. Boss Rush is not really needed. That makes it not so pricey.

It's not worth it at that price. It's the only iOS game of theirs that's ridiculously overpriced and never goes on sale. I have no idea why.

I guess I'll skip it then, especially since I've already got BP2. The one I'm really hoping they bring out at some point is Espgaluda II BL. I should probably just buy a 360 for it though.

japtor

Anyone tried DDP Maximum on an iPhone 4 yet? Says it may not run at proper speed... it's what I've got so I'm curious now.
Runs pretty well, I did a run through 5 levels and it was playable all the way through, nothing like the HD versions of Espgaluda II and DDP:R where they slowed down like hell on more complex stuff. Can't guarantee it'll be like that at the hardest difficulty branches but I'd guess it'd be decent enough.

japtor

Level 3s.

I've not gotten the shipyard level yet, which is shown at the endgame.

Also, different ships have complete overhaul of the SEs.
I was about to post about that. I tried easy mode out then 5A went all Ketsui and Espgaluda II on me at the first midboss, I have no clue what triggered it.

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

Just beat easy. The hacking level at five gets all crazy. I had not looked at easy mode yet thinking it was just the same but easier. That is were the Shipyard is. Quick, but worth it for those new bosses and Espgaluda 2 stuff.

And damn, I did not know that Epgaluda 2 and Resurrection's HD file could be played on the iPhone. Downloaded the lite version and they are so pretty. I'm assuming if I drop the $14 for each of these I can also play on the iPad in the future?

jbueno

Somebody convince me to keep my Espgaluda 2 PCB.

Does not seem to be selling at $400 on shmups.

Hasn´t the SH3 system has been decrypted already? I figure it would be a matter of time before you can do a conversion and turn it into any other CV-1000 B game of your choice, though this would be highly unethical IMO.

I´d keep it anyways, Galuda II is my favorite Cave game ever and whenever I get a Cave PCB that would be the first.

japtor

If you play it on a cab (or plan to) I'd say keep it, I'm not sure otherwise. If playing on a TV setup I figure you might as well play the 360 version.

My only worry is that longer term I have no clue about the viability of the 360 version, like whether future systems will be backwards compatible or how long 360s will survive. I haven't followed the space in a while but I figure MAME or whatever arcade emulator will be another option to play long term (last I saw a few years ago they were running, albeit with bugs).

Of course it's not like PCBs and cabs are faultless hardware, and if something goes wrong with them it'll be harder to fix.

CAVE343

Somebody convince me to keep my Espgaluda 2 PCB.

Does not seem to be selling at $400 on shmups.
I don't own a CAVE PCB (yet) but I feel there is something "magical" about them, so I would say keep.

Since I only have a 4th gen iPod, I guess I'm out of luck for DDP Maximum, right?

Risette

A Good Citizen
There's nothing magical about PCBs. They're fragile hardware pieces priced for public exhibition with the intent of profit and not for private consumer user. (ie, they are expensive and not exactly built to last)

I'd sell it and buy some console stuff you don't have, Boss.

CAVE343

There's nothing magical about PCBs. They're fragile hardware pieces priced for public exhibition with the intent of profit and not for private consumer user. (ie, they are expensive and not exactly built to last)

Well, in my experience people tend to regret the sales of their CAVE PCB's and I don't know about them being fragile if taken good care of.

But to me PCB's represent something great and if I could spare the money I would buy one in a heartbeat (Ketsui pls). But to each their own ofcourse.

... you had me until the bizarre statement that arcade hardware, which is designed to run 16 hours a day in poor conditions, is somehow not built to last. The duty cycles you'd get out of current gen console under the same conditions wouldn't even come close. There is no gaming hardware more rugged.

Risette

A Good Citizen
... you had me until the bizarre statement that arcade hardware, which is designed to run 16 hours a day in poor conditions, is somehow not built to last. There is no gaming hardware more rugged.
They are only built to last to a certain extent. Speaking with your example, the PCB would still be usually kept in one cabinet for its exhibition period despite its long hours, no?

Constantly moving it around is when the fragility begins to impact the extent of how long it is built to last, certainly.

They are only built to last to a certain extent. Speaking with your example, the PCB would still be usually kept in one cabinet for its exhibition period despite its long hours, no?

Constantly moving it around is when the fragility begins to impact the extent of how long it is built to last, certainly.

Yes, but depending on the arcade that can still be a hostile environment; poor to no ventilation with kids kicking and shaking the machines.

A bunch of us in the area do regular get-togethers to play games. About half of them are PCBs, which have been carted from house to house for several years running now. None have exhibited signs of failure.

Why do you consider arcade hardware more fragile? Taking CV-1000 and PGM in particular: no heatsinks, no fans, no hard drives, no spinning discs... absolutely devoid of moving parts and never gets even warm to the touch.

SOME-MIST

I would love to own some PCBs of games I can't play on consoles.. i.e. progear, dangun feveron, esp ra.de., battle bakraid, armed police batrider, etc.. but I've had the worst time for the past year finding a cheap supergun (like an NTSC MK V) that will play 'em..

japtor

Since I only have a 4th gen iPod, I guess I'm out of luck for DDP Maximum, right?
Yep.
Why do you consider arcade hardware more fragile? Taking CV-1000 and PGM in particular: no heatsinks, no fans, no hard drives, no spinning discs... absolutely devoid of moving parts and never gets even warm to the touch.
The only thing I'd be worried about is bit rot, although I have no clue how prevalent that is (if at all) with arcade chips. Well there's the CPS battery thing but that's a known thing at this point I guess.
I would love to own some PCBs of games I can't play on consoles.. i.e. progear, dangun feveron, esp ra.de., battle bakraid, armed police batrider, etc.. but I've had the worst time for the past year finding a cheap supergun (like an NTSC MK V) that will play 'em..
Ever looked into used cabs or are they not an option due to space?

Yes Boss!

For Maximum, I don't get this. Is it saying it is beneficial to start at A and then fulfill those obligations each level and advance so you can score better score-wise in the later levels?

Is the Rank thingie the little bar at the bottom of the stage under the Laser Bomb guage?

DECD9702-DEF2-46EE-8A19-3C6639E7B980-2268-00000206ACEBDA4D.jpg

Tain

I think that sessions in this game are simply single level plays. Your score and lives reset after every stage, the game saves which objectives you've met and stacks them (showing that their only purpose is in unlocking the harder stages in Stage Select), there's no mode that saves scores for playing five stages in sequence, and so on. I don't think there's a rank meter, either. Very much not an arcade game.

also, future me would consider that PCB for $400 but present me is saying "dude hold up until you get that cabinet, damn"

japtor

In the screenshot it's just referring to the lower branches (B, C, D, E) which are higher rank (difficulty), to unlock the next lower branch you have to fulfill two of those goals. And yeah scoring is all level by level individually, you don't have to worry about scoring well vs moving to a different branch or whatever.

kn1ves24

I find it weird that Cave say DDP Max might not run at intended speed on an iPhone 4 yet the game was released a year or 2 ago for Windows phones that are less powerful spec-wise. Max runs fine on my Focus Flash for instance.

Yes Boss!

Aw, so rank just means stringing them together and dropping to lower levels if obligations are met as it throws you in to the next letter but the harder version.

No real point to start at A then.

japtor

I find it weird that Cave say DDP Max might not run at intended speed on an iPhone 4 yet the game was released a year or 2 ago for Windows phones that are less powerful spec-wise. Max runs fine on my Focus Flash for instance.
From what I can find the Focus Flash was 1.4ghz and came out in 2011, so I'm guessing it was a generation newer ARM core (and even if it's not a newer core it's still clocked 75% faster). Wild guess is that the GPU is comparable if not better. iPhone 4 CPU/GPU wise was more or less a clocked up 3GS (but doubled up on RAM).

Ignoring all that, they probably put that notice there just cause that's what the other "HD" games have listed, and those definitely don't run at the intended speed on iPhone 4. Maybe Max's different starting code base (made for phones rather than ported over) helped it run better on iPhone 4 as a result or something.
Aw, so rank just means stringing them together and dropping to lower levels if obligations are met as it throws you in to the next letter but the harder version.

No real point to start at A then.
Yeah that's part of the whole optimized for mobile gameplay thing I've mentioned before (albeit possibly in another thread/forum). You automatically progress from level to level like the traditional games, but since scoring is by individual level there's nothing stopping you from starting at some random level, restarting one, or exiting out at any time and trying another one.

Yes Boss!

Yeah that's part of the whole optimized for mobile gameplay thing I've mentioned before (albeit possibly in another thread/forum). You automatically progress from level to level like the traditional games, but since scoring is by individual level there's nothing stopping you from starting at some random level, restarting one, or exiting out at any time and trying another one.

It is good. I acutally like it like that more. There are home ports and stuff for the other games. Finally something unique for the mobile space (other than that little Mushi walker game). My favorie iOS game is still Espgaluda 2 but this one probably is just right up under that one. Have not put much time into Blissfull Death and Mushi 2/BL as those seem unecessarily complicated for touch.

japtor

Never really got a handle on Mushi's scoring system but I think Espgaluda II's is hard as hell with the virtual buttons cause there's no manual shot button. The way the laser and shot on/off toggles work make it a pain in the ass for me to milk enemies/bullets like I normally would.

Yes Boss!

Never really got a handle on Mushi's scoring system but I think Espgaluda II's is hard as hell with the virtual buttons cause there's no manual shot button. The way the laser and shot on/off toggles work make it a pain in the ass for me to milk enemies/bullets like I normally would.

Just gotta adapt the play style for Espgaluda 2. I hold the phone in my left hand and use the left thumb on that hand to move. Index finger on the right for kakuse. That is it. Probably playing it wrong but that is how Learned the game.

Gotta use my thumb to move. I think most folks use their index finger instead.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So the cave thread is now officially a smartphone gaming thread, huh? So sad, so sad :(
I don't see why it's sad. These are the best smartphone games around.

Plus when Dodonpachi Saidaioujou comes out for 360, we'll be talking about that too.

jbueno

So the cave thread is now officially a smartphone gaming thread, huh? So sad, so sad :(

Perhaps if Cave made its 360 lineup as accessible worldwide as the iOS titles it would be a different story. I would love to try Mushihimesama HD, Ketsui, Daifukkatsu Black Label Arrange, and hopefully SDOJ will come over too.

Tain

SDOJ is coming!

Maximum is my first Cave iOS purchase (I've played some the games my GF has bought on her iPad 2), and it's the best original smartphone game I've played, but it's still not engaging enough for me to prioritize above the other games I have to play. It's for when I've got time to kill when I'm away from home. Which is probably not happening until around Thanksgiving, lol.

japtor

Well we did talk about a PCB on this page, so uh that's something. But yeah unless someone posts their progress or has any new questions on stuff that's been out for a while there's not much else other than the latest release, which just happens to be an iOS one this time.
SDOJ on iOS first if history repeats!
It's like you're trying to rub it in! That said others took a while, and there's still no Mushi HD versions. Depending on the ROI I don't know if history will necessarily repeat.

Just figured out how to cheese the 5,000 combo and Stage 5 Target Point cheevos. You know those invincible turrets that I was complaing about earlier? Turns out bombing them makes your combo counter increase like crazy. With the Orchid on 5-D, I was adding 1200-1500 onto the counter with each bomb.

Top Bottom