• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Gear series has sold over 59.8 million copies

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
MGSV-Ground-Zeroes-Key-Art-800x445.jpg

The Metal Gear series has sold over 59.8 million copies as of the end of March of 2023, Konami has announced. The company provided the updated numbers on their official website, alongside the latest financial results. This means the series has sold 300,000 copies in the three months following the end of December 2022.

Unfortunately, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are still missing from digital storefronts ever since their removal back in November of 2021, despite Konami’s assurances that they were working on returning them. The games were removed due to licensing issues, which apparently still haven’t been solved. With the Nintendo 3DS eShop closing earlier this year, the 3DS version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater has essentially been unavailable for purchase save for places like eBay or other second hand sellers.

There have been several rumors about Konami bringing back the series (following their revival of the Silent Hill series) in the form of (outsourced) remakes or remasters, but so far, no official announcements have been made by the company.

sad metal gear solid GIF

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Konami took them off as they want that sweet remake money. I hope the originals are allowed back on for sale as well.

The Shepard

Metal gear solid needs a remake and 2, 3 and 4 need modern remasters. It'll be strange if they remake 3 before 1 like is rumoured.

SJRB

Gold Member
60 million for the entire franchise seems not a whole lot, honestly. It has six main consoles instalments with most coming in multiple editions and ports, and multiple handheld spin-offs.

Not really a lot considering the amount of entries.

If they remade 1 or 2 of them and make a new one they could easily more than double that in a very short time span imo.

Lots of Sales have been left on the table so to speak

Last edited:

Yoboman

60 million for the entire franchise seems not a whole lot, honestly. It has six main consoles instalments with most coming in multiple editions and ports, and multiple handheld spin-offs.
It basically missed the past decade of sales inflation

And it's 5 main console instalments?

Not really a lot considering the amount of entries.

If they remade 1 or 2 of them and make a new one they could easily more than double that in a very short time span imo.

Lots of Sales have been left on the table so to speak
Absolutely. I replayed MGS2 a month ago and I had to download a Dodi repack.

Almost all the MGS games are stuck on dead systems or in copyright limbo.

Naked Lunch

I account for a big chunk of those sales.
I bought and re-bought the entire series in its many single releases, boxed sets, and digital across all platforms.

I still try to do a semi-yearly chronological playthru of the entire series from the MSX originals thru MGS4/Raiden. Pretty much as good as gaming gets in my eyes.

Foolish to buy the same games over and over, but the series was just that good - and I miss it :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I'll come back to the point again, that at one point in time MGS was a flagship Sony title.....now you can't even play ANY of the first 4 on modern systems...Metal Gear 4 remains a PS3 exclusive yet you still can't play it on modern consoles...let alone Peace-walker which is incompatible with PS4 and the mighty PS5

Top Bottom