• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Michael Giacchino appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamite

I've loved pretty much everything I've heard from him, but I have to say I was actually kind of surprised at the end of Star Trek Beyond when I saw his name in the credits; like halfway through the movie I had assumed he probably didn't do that one since the only music I ever noticed was just the same Star Trek theme repeated over and over.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I've loved pretty much everything I've heard from him, but I have to say I was actually kind of surprised at the end of Star Trek Beyond when I saw his name in the credits; like halfway through the movie I had assumed he probably didn't do that one since the only music I ever noticed was just the same Star Trek theme repeated over and over.

According to interviews, apparently dir. Justin Lin loves the hell out of Giacchino's Trek motif.

I guess he loves it way too much.

One of my all time favs I have a number of his soundtracks. Best part of a movie scored by him once the violin strings kick in you know something's about to go down.

Mifune

Mehmber

That's funny because the main theme is used a lot less than it was in the first two movies. I wish the Yorktown/50 years theme was used more, though. It's gorgeous.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No love for Inside Out in the OP? This is crazy! Gems like "Bundle of Joy", "National Movers", "A growing personality" and "The Joy of credits" are all amazing. I love how the latter takes elements from the previous songs (plus others such as "Team building", "The forgetters and "Rainbow flyer"), while giving some of them its own style. In fact, you can notice repeated motifs in several of the songs, which is cool and makes it a cohesive work. Of course, it couldn't have suited a better movie, it's a perfect combination.

Another song of his that I love is the theme song from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It's absolutely beautiful. It was also a nice surprise to learn he composed most of the Donald in Cold Shadow soundtrack (also known as Maui Mallard). I should listen to more of Giacchino's stuff, he's great.

curb

Banned
No love for Inside Out in the OP? This is crazy! Gems like "Bundle of Joy", "National Movers", "A growing personality" and "The Joy of credits" are all amazing. I love how the latter takes elements from the previous songs (plus others such as "Team building", "The forgetters and "Rainbow flyer"), while giving some of them its own style. In fact, you can notice repeated motifs in several of the songs, which is cool and makes it a cohesive work. Of course, it couldn't have suited a better movie, it's a perfect combination.

Such a great score. Free Skating gets me in the feels every time.

Elitist1945

Giacchino is 2nd to Williams in terms of today's composers imo. His early Medal of Honor scores were fucking magic. Golden Williams-esque shit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This gives me the space to tell my favorite Giacchino story! Back in the early 00s, he was far more accessible to his fans than he is now (understandably, being a busy guy). After listening to and being highly impressed by the Medal of Honor game score, I sent him an email asking if he could send the sheet music for me to study. He replied, asking if I could narrow it down because it's a lot of pages so I just asked for a specific cue. A few months went by and I completely forgot about it, until a parcel arrived with that exact cue, a very nice handwritten note and a CD containing about half the score to Medal of Honor Underground, which hadn't been released yet at that time.

Super nice man and super talented. I'm glad that he made it big. It's a hard business to break into.
What a beautiful story. So glad for you! Didn't know he was such a nice person.

Such a great score. Free Skating gets me in the feels every time.
That scene with Joy skating along with Riley's memory, while the song plays in the background, is breathtaking. I need to rewatch the movie again, it's been a couple of months since the last time.

curb

Banned
That scene with Joy skating along with Riley's memory, while the song plays in the background, is breathtaking. I need to rewatch the movie again, it's been a couple of months since the last time.

I find stuff like that gets me emotional, especially since my daughter came along. Even though she's only three and a half, I see so how well that movie represents what it's like to be a kid. Giacchino's score fits so perfectly.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't know what song it is, but when Jacob tells the main cast what the others died for.....man I don't know why but the music goes really fucking good with the scene and when he matter factory tells Kate the answer to her question and the music is still going. Shit man it's powerful stuff.

(Spoilers obviously if you never watched lost)
Starts at 1:24

https://youtu.be/UMC-7genss8

Oh yeah and Richards theme as well from Ab Aeterno
https://youtu.be/SD6kvpYa9wQ

curb

Banned
I watched the new Star Trek last night. Another great score. I still really love the main theme from these movies. I'm listening to it on Spotify right now and the piano rendition at the beginning of Thank Your Lucky Star Date is pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom