• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The modern day "Iraq Information Minister"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'd imagine most here remember (or at least know about the meme) for the Iraq Information Minister from the second Iraq invasion. The US would report a major win in an Iraq offensive and shortly after Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf would have a televised report calling the US liars, showing doctored or old photos, and just put out truly incredible pieces of propaganda.

After watching the White House Press Secretary'a conference yesterday, where the press waited for over an hour and a half for him to finally come out and cry about "bad reporting" and "crowd sizes"... I mean we were worried about Twitter Trump, but are we now entering an era with the WHPS is just going to have a conference spitting out propaganda every time Trump does or says something stupid?

Just when you thought these four years couldn't get any longer, it now looks like not only will the voting base be whining for four years, but Trump himself (through the PS) will be whining also...

Coming off of probably the most self accountable President of my lifetime. ffs

It was quite a spectacle for sure, I noticed the term "you guys" was used quiet often which lead me to Believe ol' Donnie was the one who dictated the ummm announcement

The PS was just his avatar

35458.jpg

DC Bob

Modern day Goebbels more like it.

It's the type of shit you'd expect in a country like North Korea.

Media need to keep calling this BS out and not normalize it.

diunxx

TBH I hope this becomes a tradition, just to see how close to gollum DC Bob ends up looking by the end of the first year.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Don't know how Sean Spicer could go out there and outright lie to the world with a straight face something so petty and meaningless. Shame on him and shame on the new administration.

Don't know how Sean Spicer could go out there and outright lie to the world with a straight face something so petty and meaningless. Shame on him and shame on the new administration.
Seriously. Get a spine, and tell Trump and his group you are not going out there and tell lies for them.

Lots of Press Secretaries have boldly lied. It comes with the job. In fact, it's a super high rotation job cuz it kinda sucks. Most of them jump into the press pool whenever there's a chance.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Honestly, I think the press shouldn't even show up for these briefings. All they are doing is helping to spread false information.

Trump holds a briefing? Don't even cover it. Tell the audience why (that they are full of shit) and actually report on what's going on instead of giving the administration a chance to spread their message. It only goes as far as the media will allow it to go.

borghe

I mean there's a thread about the "inaccurate innauguration crowd size", but really this is just about

1) the utterly insane things the White House is going to hold press conferences over
2) the spin in those press conferences, if this is what's going to continue

That's what got me thinking back the the Iraq minister similarities. And the thing everyone agrees on was that was out and out propaganda in its purest form. So.... aren't we being dealt the same sort of propaganda now?

Has there been a recent time in modern American history where we've been fed propaganda on a regular basis?

I mean there's a thread about the "inaccurate innauguration crowd size", but really this is just about

1) the utterly insane things the White House is going to hold press conferences over
2) the spin in those press conferences, if this is what's going to continue

That's what got me thinking back the the Iraq minister similarities. And the thing everyone agrees on was that was out and out propaganda in its purest form. So.... aren't we being dealt the same sort of propaganda now?

Has there been a recent time in modern American history where we've been fed propaganda on a regular basis?

Or another way of looking at it. What message does it send when this is literally the first time the press secretary addresses the press, and this is how he does it?

borghe

i mean the cold war wasn't THAT long ago guys
Eh the height of the Cold War was 50 years ago. It then drew (publicly) to a close almost 30 years ago. So to anyone having just entered into their thirties or younger, it still took place almost completely before their time.

I'd also argue the propaganda was different. At that point the public and government were on the same side (for better or worse), and the propaganda was reinforcement of how the public already felt. We loved Top Gun and the anti-communist action movies.

Now though, the propaganda is really opposite how most of the country feels. It's really only supporting the feelings of a very large minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom