• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most satisfying guns in first person shooters

CronoShot

Not necessarily the best or most useful, but the ones that just make you feel like a boss when you use it.

I'll start with what inspired me to make this thread in the first place:

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Review-3.jpg

The main assault rifle (whatever it's actually called) in Killzone Shadow Fall. Although really, I'm referring to the alternate fire mode:

killzone-shadow-fall-ebs8i.gif

Not only is it powerful, but charging it up combined with the sound effects it makes...so good.

Mystery

My favorite guns:

L23 Fareye (Resistance: Fall of Man)
Battle Rifle (Halo 3)
Flak Cannon (Unreal Series)
Auger (Resistance: Fall of Man)
M40A3 (Call of Duty 4)

Drakeon

Half-Life Shotgun. Loved the alt fire on that puppy.

This is just: Shotgun the thread, isn't it?

I'd add the Sickle, from Killzone: SF on there too, so many 1 hits in multiplayer.

I'm a big fan of shotguns in FPS games. The one in Bulletstorm and the SPAS-12 in Modern Warfare 2 come to mind when it comes to favorite shotguns.

nkarafo

The original Perfect Dark had some pretty satisfying guns with cool sound effects and reload animations. And i always loved how the weapons move independently from the first person camera.

Tizoc

Off the top of my head...
Shotguns
Gatling guns
Rocket Launcher
Gatling Rocket Launchers
Laser Shotguns
Laser Sniper rilfe

While I like the Killzone Shadow Fall rail gun it has two notable issues. It goes through ammo like there's no tomorrow and while the secondary fire is fun, using it drains your ds4 battery even quicker. I preferred the Keyser in that game. With the scope and homing rockets secondary fire it was bloody good.

Of all time I'm going to have to go with the Sniper rifle in the original Halo. Such a fun weapon to use with such a great scope.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The original Halo pistol definitely comes to mind.

Also, while technically not first person shooters, the Gears shotgun and torque bow were also really satisfying for me as well.

Steel

Banned
Mauler in Halo 3.

It was a tiny, handheld, squeaky shotgun.

Although it may have been done better in Marathon, originally.
628695.jpeg

So much more satisfying in Marathon man. The mauler in halo felt dirty.
2977-unreal-tournament-windows-screenshot-this-is-the-minigun-s.jpg

For me the most satisfying:

imgres

Unreal tournament uno. The minigun.

JordanN

Banned
The DXR-6 disruptor rifle in Star Wars Jedi Outcast.
iOqmYpQTz3cjy.jpg

If you're successful, a charged shot could instant kill anyone and the animation would show the person vaporizing. The aiming reticule when you're in scope mode also looks so cool.

rrs

Nothing like a heavily modded 9mm pistol in the Deus Ex series: a simple, cheap, accurate, powerful machine of death.

alazz

Gravity Gun, Revolver, and Crossbow in HL2DM. I think due to the poor balance and chaotic action in the multiplayer, they're way more fun than they are in HL2 singleplayer.

Flak cannon, FEAR Shotgun, RE4 rifle, and Bulletstorm I wholly agree with. Even the goddamn starting pistol in RE4 is a blast to pop head shots with.

Top Bottom